Class Tier List, H2 2018

UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
edited September 2018 in The Matsuhama Arena
It's been a while since the great original "Class Tier List" discussion by @Kythra, and I was curious how much has changed in the 1.5 years that's passed.

Anyone want to take a stab at a new list? Here is the original one for reference:

Grouping info...
(SS)
S
A+
A
B
C
D
(E/F/G)
   + For those who ask about the letters from a tournament/competitive standpoint:
(SS) = Broken/Busted (Think Infernal with 251s and Frenzy) Not applied in this thread. Can use if you wish.
S = Dominant/Best Class. Consistently wins every matchup.
A+ = Somewhere between too strong and just right. Most people can pick it up and do decently well, and in the hands of a pro it's lethal.
A = Solo Viable. Wins most matchups.
B = Viable. Not consistent. Struggles with some classes.
C = Niche use. One tricks.
  + Not to say one tricks are bad, they usually go over and above to prove a point. But the class itself can't just be picked up and dominate the scene.
D = Unviable for competitive. Should not be used. And if someone loses to this tier/person, you/they usually learn the counterplay and never lose again.
(E/F/G) = Never seen. Not applied in this thread. Can use if you truly wish.

List...
S
---
Shaman
Monk
Sentinel

A+
---
Serpent
Priest
Paladin SnB 

A
---
Apostate (On the fence here between A or A+)
Bard
Blademaster
Sylvan
Infernal DwB
Runewarden SnB
Runewarden DwB (Runeblades)
~Depthswalker (I dont know enough about the class yet. Maybe B tier if you cant change routes on the go)

B
---
Magi
Occultist
Alchemist
Infernal DwC (Everyone has anti-vivi and vivi-mindgaming coding
Paladin DwC
Runewarden 2H (Hugalaz says surprise but smex)

C
---
Jester (In its current state. Pre-suicide mouse changes was A or so)
Infernal 2H
Paladin 2H
Paladin DwB
Runewarden DwB

D
---
Druid
Infernal SnB

Comments

• edited September 2018
    These kinda lists suck in a game like Achaea. 90% of the responses are gonna be people biased against a handful of classes. 9.99% will base their responses off of 100% perfect theorycraft play which literally nobody has. And then there'll be those 1 or 2 who give reasonable answers that people will no doubt massively disagree with.
    That above list proves as much, since it was "wrong" even when it was made.
    Every single class has "top tier viability" - pretty much all there is to it. If you're assuming people playing perfectly every single fight though, then no class is going to have it. Though that's also incredibly unrealistic.

• Only at lemon parties 

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • These are based off of my opinions and experiences with each class. Nope, I didn't theorycraft. Nope, I am not a good combatant. Nope, I don't have a Seragorn, Farrah, Iakimen, Rom , etc, etc, etc level of knowledge of each class, their counters and counter-counters. I assumed the combatant had the correct arties at level 3 (seriously who doesn't nowadays?)

S
    ---
    Alchemist (Think Iakimen)
    Occultist
    Sentinel (Haven't seen too many around besides the Lyrin?? or something and Rangor) (Requires planning to stop people from leaving) (Pet management is a thing!)
    Serpent  (With dex cap)
    Infernal DWB (Unless fixed by now) (will lose to clumsy heavy classes)
    Monk

A+
    ---
    Depthswalker (damage route)
    Paladin SnB 
    Jester (Hit & Run)
    Shaman
    Runewarden SnB
    Bard

A
    ---
    Runewarden DwC (Runeblades)
    Infernal DwC
    Sylvan (Thornrend not propagation)
    Apostate (curseward still a thing) (Anti-tumble is good!)

B
    ---
    Magi
    Paladin DwC
    Priest (Haven't fought a good one yet)
    Druid

C
    ---
    Infernal 2H (gravehands)
    Paladin 2H (piety)
    Infernal 2H
    Paladin 2H
    Paladin DwB
    Runewarden DwB
    Sylvan (propagation route)

D
    ---
    Runewarden 2H (just run, you'll be fine)
    Blademaster (run on impaleslash, you'll be fine)
    Infernal SnB
  • edited November 2018
    My Take, based on my personal experience, PvP wise. Granted, I think all classes have their competitive advantages, and not every class has their potential tapped out, and their effectiveness lies in who plays them. I am listing based on matchups and certain abilities. I am also assuming fully artied out.

SS (Broken/Busted)
    Druid

S (Consistently wins most matchups)
    - Infernal DWB
    - Runie DWB

A+ (Lethal in the hands of pros)
    - Monk
    - Blademaster
    - Infernal DWC
    - Infernal 2H
    - Magi
    - Serpent

A (Solo viable)
    - Alchemist
    - S&B
    - Sentinel
    - Sylvan
    - Paladin

B (not consistent, struggles)
    - Depthswalker
    - Occultist
    - Apostate
    - Shaman

C (one trick)
    - Bard
    - Jester

D (not competitive)
    - Runie 2H
    - Pally 2H
    - Priest
  • Druid is mostly S bc of the hydra bug tho
  • Aegoth said:
    Druid is mostly S bc of the hydra bug tho
    Uh, what bug? Far as I know it works the way it's meant to, it's just in desperate need of a classlead to make it ... not work like that, because it's incredibly overpowered.
  • @Taryius explain the bug
  • Aegoth said:
    I edited and make Druid SS (broken), mainly because Hydra bind's cooldown of like 10s is a serious problem for Druid being a quick prep class that has very reliable finisher at the same time. The bind is very hindering against any momentum classes, not sure any other aff momentum classes can achieve a kill within 7s of writhing out and getting roped again, except maybe lethal serpent that can burst out a lock within 7s. Not to mention with bind is paired with stun bomb, further improving it's already broken effectiveness.

Maybe if hydra bind is moved into normal balance from class balance, it will work better.
  • edited November 2018
    That list seems really... Bad.
    None of those 'B/C' classes are worse than Blademaster, certainly not worse than Infernal 2h. Lmao what?
    Alchemist only A? @Iakimen
    Depthswalker B? @Atalkez @Penwize
    Bard C? @Dunn @Farrah
    Hello? Shaman is definitely not B-tier, either. Druid would also be very powerful even if the 'bug' didn't work the way it does. Reclaim is very consistent when setup/executed right, since you can break the final limb/reclaim in the same balance (working as intended, from Makarios himself).

• Penwize said:
    Aegoth said:
    Uh, what bug? Far as I know it works the way it's meant to, it's just in desperate need of a classlead to make it ... not work like that, because it's incredibly overpowered.
    As the Hydra scroll reads, druid's can use 2nd head skills with no balance loss if immediately following a 1st head category skill, this is how it was designed. Hydra bite prefarar/Hydra roar in the same attack.

The bug is as follows, you can use 2nd head skills with 0 balance so long as your last action was a 1st head skill. This means you can hydra bite prefarar (which consumes balance) and then once you get balance back prepend your next attack with a 2nd head skill.

This is reminiscent of blademasters old delayed strike for free impale and allows you to start your setup with a 2nd Head attack for free without wasting any balance on a useless 1st head skill. 

In practice, this lets you prone + double break on your first attack as a Druid, something they've been balanced around not having.

Hydra bite prefarar (strip deafness so roar works) -> wait for balance -> Hydra roar(prone)/Throw axe at left leg (break through parry)/hydra legclamp right -> throw axe at left arm -> hydra armclamp right/embrace.

1s window before you get proned and any reaction after the prone/double break won't matter. This is a much smaller window that hydra bind + roar gives and has no cooldown (unlike hydra bind). 
  • Putting bard as one trick simply because shitty pkers buy an auto offense for it and do nothing else is about as wrong as I've seen an opinion be in a videogame.
    Shaman/bard are both inarguably as strong or stronger than serpent, definitely stronger than BM barring arty disparity. Neither of them 'struggle.'
    Also yeah druid's only that good cause of a bug, though hydra bind does make it absurdly good vs momentum in general.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I am not sure what possessed you to put Infernal 2h on A+ and Runie 2h on D. Hard to take that list seriously. I mean, everything else aside, Runie 2h is absolutely superior to its infernal counterpart, and I haven't seen any Infernal demonstrate the contrary.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Infernal definitely has perks to it, but it is arguable if they put it above Runie. Either way, there is no way its a difference of 3+ whole grades.

If Infernal 2H didn't conflict with my int spec, int race and int arties, I would 100% mutliclass it again. It was very fun.
  • Taryius said:
    Infernal definitely has perks to it, but it is arguable if they put it above Runie. Either way, there is no way its a difference of 3+ whole grades.

If Infernal 2H didn't conflict with my int spec, int race and int arties, I would 100% mutliclass it again. It was very fun.
    decay spec bro.
  • Minifie said:
    Taryius said:
    Infernal definitely has perks to it, but it is arguable if they put it above Runie. Either way, there is no way its a difference of 3+ whole grades.

decay spec bro.
    taint/arc spam with dreadblade.

• Pyori said:
    Minifie said:
    Taryius said:

decay spec bro.
    I thought 2h artefacts were also out of the running, had to only used forged, if dreadblade is on the table then get in on that spam.
  • Minifie said:
    Pyori said:
    Minifie said:
    Taryius said:

decay spec bro.
    I thought 2h artefacts were also out of the running, had to only used forged, if dreadblade is on the table then get in on that spam.
    He did say "assuming fully artied out".

• edited November 2018

These tiers confuse me. :(

If something is "solo viable" to me, it must be "lethal in the hands of pros." Otherwise it's really not viable at all. Hard to see the need for both S and SS too.

• edited November 2018
    Pyori said:
    None of those 'B/C' classes are worse than Blademaster, certainly not worse than Infernal 2h. Lmao what?
    Bard C? @Dunn @Farrah
    Hello? Shaman is definitely not B-tier, either. Druid would also be very powerful even if the 'bug' didn't work the way it does. Reclaim is very consistent when setup/executed right, since you can break the final limb/reclaim in the same balance (working as intended, from Makarios himself).
    BM wrecks all B/C for sure.
    Alchemist can't make it to A cos it's momentum, not prep.
    Depthswalker is B, cos Atalkez's own monk can beat his own DW, and Penwize's own serpent can beat his own DW.
    Yes Bard is at best C. Though my Bard can take on A/B, but I still rate it C, I know Bard's limitations.
    Shaman is B cos of struggles, attempts and surviving before A+ and A does their stuffs.
  • edited November 2018
    Taryius said:

Hydra bite prefarar (strip deafness so roar works) -> wait for balance -> Hydra roar(prone)/Throw axe at left leg (break through parry)/hydra legclamp right -> throw axe at left arm -> hydra armclamp right/embrace.

Can time a delayed pre-apply following undeaf, immediate pre-apply doesn't work cos they could avoid it with epseth and double arm breaks instead. Still, there's always workaround to counter pre-apply.
  • edited November 2018
    Dochitha said:
    Pyori said:
    Bard C? @Dunn @Farrah
    Depthswalker is B, cos Atalkez's own monk can beat his own DW, and Penwize's own serpent can beat his own DW.
    Yes Bard is at best C. Though my Bard can take on A/B, but I still rate it C, I know Bard's limitations.
    Shaman is B cos of struggles, attempts and surviving before A+ and A does their stuffs.
    Literally none of this is true.
    Go and fight Iakimen Alchemist if you think that. Or Farrah. Or Seragorn. Or Zulah. Or (as of recently) Dunn. If being prep is your metric to go by, then Bard, Shaman, Jester, Sylvan, Sentinel should all be higher on your list.
    Atalkez regularly fought (and won) against pretty much every class as DW. As does Penwize, Penwize also beats serpents regularly as DW.
    You obviously don't know Bard's limitations, given you think it's a one trick class. The only thing that gave Dunn Bard trouble, was Iakimen Alchemist. I dunno if Farrah really had trouble with anything as Bard.
    Shaman does not have issue surviving. I dunno who told you that one.

• edited November 2018
    Dochitha said:
    Pyori said:
    Bard C? @Dunn @Farrah
    No offense but if you think bard is a C, that's user error, not bard's limitations. There's a reason bard is so popular to just buy a system for, because even just half-assing the class it's very dangerous.
    Shaman is not particularly tanky but they can be very slippery and set up entire areas quickly if they really want to, along with having some of the best hinder in the game. Not sure what you're on about. 
    Also, if momentum classes can't make it to A+, wtf is serp doing on there? Especially vs aff classes that CAN prep?
  • Pyori said:
    Dochitha said:
    Pyori said:
    Bard C? @Dunn @Farrah
    Literally none of this is true.
    Go and fight Iakimen Alchemist if you think that. Or Farrah. Or Seragorn. Or Zulah. Or (as of recently) Dunn. If being prep is your metric to go by, then Bard, Shaman, Jester, Sylvan, Sentinel should all be higher on your list.
    Atalkez regularly fought (and won) against pretty much every class as DW. As does Penwize, Penwize also beats serpents regularly as DW.
    You obviously don't know Bard's limitations, given you think it's a one trick class. The only thing that gave Dunn Bard trouble, was Iakimen Alchemist. I dunno if Farrah really had trouble with anything as Bard.
    Shaman does not have issue surviving. I dunno who told you that one.
    I fought all of them you mentioned, except Penwize. I am not comparing who's better than who. I am comparing the class's potential. Maybe you want Alchemist to be A+, that's fine, I am not challenging your list, I showed my list. I didn't say Shaman has issue surviving, was saying their prep time vs A/B.
  • Your own tier logic is inconsistent. Momentum can't be A+, but serpents are there. Long prep time can't be high, but you have SnB high? A shaman can fashion a 'big enough' doll quicker than snb can prep.
  • edited November 2018
    Dochitha said:
     I didn't say Shaman has issue surviving, was saying their prep time vs A/B.
    You literally said it struggles surviving, despite Shaman 'prep' actually being one of the fastest.
    And still... Neither Bard, nor Jester, are one tricks. If you think that, you obviously don't know their limitations like you claim.
    Dochitha said:
    I am not comparing who's better than who. I am comparing the class's potential.
    And I gave you examples for people who use the class to their full potential. You can't really say these things, without actually being able to defend why you think they're that way, else it's not a very useful list. Also what Kiet said, your logic is very heavily inconsistent and goes against your own list.

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    edited November 2018
    Can someone let me know what this magical trick is for bard? :D

Also, who's selling this system that will suddenly make me dangerous?

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Things this list is:

1 Hilarious 
    2 Pointless 
    3 Misleading 
    4 Unhelpful.

I see no benefit in such an arbitry list in a game where all classes are balanced with a structured and we'll maintained Classlead system. Sure, the Hydra skill sounds like it's needing to be looked at but its common knowledge that all classes have different strenghths and weaknesses against various other match ups. And thankfully so, too.

This list does to two things:

1 Appear to show a lack of combat understanding across the classes, which surprises me with Doch. 
    2 Set a very dangerous mindset for Newbies coming in who might see this and start taking it seriously.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Klendathu said:

It's a hard class to play if you don't just make someone else write your offense, so really you're probably just missing practice and learning more about aff combat. Even with someone doing your offense, though, there's a lot of nuance and strategies that most people never even attempt with bard, simply because it's either too difficult or because what they have is 'good enough.'
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Kiet said:
    Klendathu said:

It's a hard class to play if you don't just make someone else write your offense, so really you're probably just missing practice and learning more about aff combat. Even with someone doing your offense, though, there's a lot of nuance and strategies that most people never even attempt with bard, simply because it's either too difficult or because what they have is 'good enough.'
    It was (I am) a joke... I'm slowly learning my way around it, after a looooong period of sucking. I still suck, just marginally less :)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."