Cities

Comments

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Keorin said:
    Right now, Cyrene avoids conflict through refusing to engage with the world at large, as everyone knows that game mechanics make it impossible for their to ever be repercussions for doing so.
    Notably, if anyone says to "just ignore" the enemy, it should be pointed out, on an IC level, they are acting in very violation of the spirit of Cyrene:
    Introduction to Cyrene and Our Ethos says:

Our history includes a proud and long tradition of defending our home
    fiercely and successfully. We also have resolutely declared war when it
    was determined that our way of life was threatened and fought with the
    honour and distinction that comes only from the strength of unswayable
    conviction and the protection of our very principles of existence. Rest
    assured, we will do again if a similar threat faces us or the realms as
    a whole.

DEFENCE: Our commitment to protect Cyrene, Her citizens and all She
    stands for knows no bounds. The Ministry of Security (MoS), in
    partnership with the Ministry of War (MoW) is tasked with the awesome
    responsibility of ensuring that the Cyrenian Army remains ever vigilant
    and prepared to defend the city and all She stands for. We take
    considerable pride in our fierce commitment to our city's safety and
    well-being, as well as in our success at achieving that goal.

Mighty is our weapon - steadfast our resolve.

• For sure, but if you don't see the city as meaningfully threatened mechanically - say, for instance, because you know that Mhaldor can't do anything more then damage a few rooms - then it's hard to see the city as being particularly threatened ICly. Heck, Cyrene's geographically closest neighbor is Mhaldor, a city with some of the most cause to start a more serious attack, but I don't think most people in Cyrene see this as much of a risk.

It's even worse during actual raids, since mechanically, the best way to defend the city is always to leave to mitigate losses, at least after the first tank. Not that this is just something you see happening in Cyrene, I've seen Targossas ordered to pull out when there was some chance Mhaldor might tank their docks, and we all know how that last war went. 

In general, no one disagrees that Cyrene should be a well defended city, from what I've seen. There's just a lot of disagreement on what that means, particularly when the mechanically safest option seems to be to boot out all combatants that might make trouble with other cities, call guards in every engagement to make small raids impossible, and brush off the impact of any successful ones.
  • Start a war with Targossas to take Devotion back!!! PLEASE
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• @Xaden, If you want to beat on some non-coms, why do you even need an excuse? Raid Cyrene, kill the guards, uproot the totems, and plant shrines everywhere.
  • Armali said:
    @Xaden, If you want to beat on some non-coms, why do you even need an excuse? Raid Cyrene, kill the guards, uproot the totems, and plant shrines everywhere.
    I'm not allowed :(

• To be clear, I don't mean to say that Cyrene has driven out all fighters (something that's obviously not the case), but that the city has often sought to place the blame on conflict that occurs on fighters, or has limited opportunities to participate in combat out of concern that it could cause trouble with other cities.

Obviously this hasn't universally been true, but I think it's fair to say that overall, Cyrene attempts to use mechanics to mitigate its losses in more instances then other cities, and that its roleplay stance has tended to heavily follow suit.
  • Xaden said:
    Armali said:
    @Xaden, If you want to beat on some non-coms, why do you even need an excuse? Raid Cyrene, kill the guards, uproot the totems, and plant shrines everywhere.
    It's easier to seek forgiveness than permission. Do it anyways. What are they going to do, kick you out? At worse, you get a slap on the wrist, at best, the people sympathetic to Cyrene get marginalized and you get your grief-war. Win win?
  • Image result for devil on shoulder

Guess which one @Armali is right now

• do it xaden, or i will holocaust the guinness brewery
  • If I ever doubted just how evil you are, Aegoth, then I take it all back :(

• Xaden said:
    Armali said:
    Didn't stop you picking in Pandora /forumrp

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Sobriquet said:
    Xaden said:
    Armali said:
    Didn't stop you picking in Pandora /forumrp
    Filthy Chaos baby

• Xaden said:
    Start a war with Targossas to take Devotion back!!! PLEASE
    Even more Cyrenian would be take back the gold Cyrene spent on class changing all of the Devotionists.

Targossas:

Cyrene:

• Salisa said:
    Would rather cut ties with alchemy and fight Eleusis for forestal classes. Who wants devotion when you can have groves and throwing axes?
    Generally when doing such trades, Cyrene would have to give us something in return... And Eleusis already has enough cake, snugglers and people who're horrible at politics, so Cyrene can't really provide anything.
  • I said fight. We can come take over Eleusis using the hoard, turn your snugglers against you, every room with be a new CC. Submit or suffer.
  • edited October 2017
    You say that as if you could impose a higher degree of suffering than most of the citizens already do themselves.
  • I would too.

Destroy your filthy village, steal your spears and axes to use them to kill you more.

I’m game.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  •         
  • Daeir said:
    The happiest possible outcome after Eleusis' catastrophic decline would be the unshackling of forestal classes from it.

I mean, why let the Nature classes be specific to the citystate that rejected all of the Nature Divine? I also really want to see a pissed off Khunrath come back and be absolutely livid with the cities for choosing forestals anyway after all of the guff about alchemy.
    I renounce you!
  • Reyson said:
    Re: Cyrene and @Caynix: Cyrene only offers interaction if you don't step on anyone's toes, don't raid, don't try to start any trouble. I can count on one hand the number of Cyrenians I've had constructive, decent IC interactions with, and still have three leftover fingers. That kind of wilful isolationism is pretty bad for the game- not so much the 'we don't want to pvp' thing as the 'we refuse to engage at all unless you're doing exactly what we feel is the right way to play this game' thing. 
    Your character is 32 now. You've been enemied to Cyrene since you were 22. That's a total of 4 in game years, or about 2 months where Cyrene had a chance to get to know you. I don't know how people expect to have GREAT RP when you are enemied to Cyrene, especially when you know Cyrenians don't interact with enemies.

Get unenemied and you'll have more interaction.
  • Keorin said:
    Lisbethae said:

I don't know how people expect to have GREAT RP when you are enemied to Cyrene, especially when you know Cyrenians don't interact with enemies.

Get unenemied and you'll have more interaction.
    This is a pretty crummy view to hold in a game that revolves around interaction between players.
    It's a valid view. How many who live in Targ socialize with those who live in Mhaldor. 

I'll wait.

Still waiting.

If somebody wants to interact in and around Cyrene they need to not be an enemy of Cyrene. 

Which is exactly how it is for every other City.

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• edited October 2017
    @Hataru don't judge me I was hired

Also agreeing with Hataru, even if ic my character doesn't like you she'll still interact.

Typically it's just calling you a heretic but it's interaction.

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates