Pokemon GO

Comments

• Live on the 10th floor. Only flying pokemon so far.
  • edited July 2016
    I live next to UCLA. My cousin and I walked around campus and... I think I had to throw away 300 pokeballs because of inventory. In a 2 hour walk we encountered about 75 other players, including several modded hotspots next to one another with congregations of 11+ players. It's not Disneyland but it's... Level 21 players with 2100 cp 5* gyms.
  • Got a Gastly! I have no idea what these things are. Never played pokemon.
  • Ok, I got my Oddish, I can quit playing. That is my favorite Pokemon. Seriously though, I think I'm gonna load the car and make the journey to town tomorrow and walk around. See if I can't get some decent Pokemon, and maybe finally get level 5.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    edited July 2016
    Love Oddish!

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I don't have very many high level ones yet, still just level 5. This wouldn't be so bad if I didn't check my phone on break to see messages from people I know about how they found me and took my gym and "git gud". God. Dammit. Now I might have to do more than passively play this.

• Pokemon Go is kind of fun, but the amount of potential wasted makes me want to cry. I can't believe how awesome this game COULD have been, but isn't.

No pokemon trading, no (actual) battles, and pay to win. :(

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Cooper said:
    Pokemon Go is kind of fun, but the amount of potential wasted makes me want to cry. I can't believe how awesome this game COULD have been, but isn't.

It's not pay to win, there will be trading in the future, and (i really can't argue with the -actual- battles part but) the way they are now better serves an app (such as Pokemon GO) where you're supposed to be constantly on the move, going out and finding things. I'd never use the goddamn app if there was a potential for a 30 minute battle to happen. It'd be a real pain if you had to stop for 5 minutes every time you wanted to catch something, or even at the gyms, where you'd have to devote much more time to taking down current defenders (not to mention the extra stress on the servers, they were bad enough at launch already).
    Huh. Neat.
    Challenges between players are supposed to be a thing coming out as well, probably after trading. It was certainly featured in the trailer.

There's a bug to where you can start with a Pikachu. When it gives you the three starts to pick from (Squirtle, Charmander, and Balbasaur) walk away from them out of range until they disappear about 3-5 times and a Pikachu will eventually pop up in the middle of them.

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Too late for that now. :(
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    It's intentional rather than a bug, but yes, this^^^

If your only GOal in life is to have a Pikachu, you could start your game over, lol
  • Krypton said:
    Love Oddish!

Oddish is my favorite Pokemon! Seksay!
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    @krypton Yeah, no. I'll live with my Pikachu-less Pokedex. Heard they randomly hatch out of the 2 km eggs so here's hoping.
  • edited July 2016
    Kasya said:
    @krypton Yeah, no. I'll live with my Pikachu-less Pokedex. Heard they randomly hatch out of the 2 km eggs so here's hoping.

You can catch pikachu in the wild! They're a rare sighting but still out there! Saw a couple people catch them while out walking.

Edit: I could not catch it because I got a mfer "GPS signal lost" error for like an hour. D:

• I got an Onyx and a Kabuto tonight. I'm pleased. (And all after having some delicious sushi.)
    meh

• Niantic used a lot of the info from Ingress to feed into this. I've noticed that pokemon are more likely to spawn in areas with a lot of XM around. XM is generated from people's phones in the area so high density areas like apartment complexes, malls, stations etc tend to have more pokemon. XM also kinda clusters around pokestops (Their locations are on Ingress portals, with some portals being gyms)

You can load up the ingress live map or install the game and you'll get a damn good idea where pokemon are gonna be.

Hopefully we can add more locations later through Go itself since the Ingress portals in non-dense areas are a bit out of the way from where people normally are.

My only gripe thus far is has been the tracking in the game is stupid. You have no idea of direction so you have to walk 100m+ before you realise you are going the wrong way. Also, the fluttering leaves are supposed to mean pokemon, but not once have I come across one near them.

The crashes and hangs should start getting better, but damn the app drains the hell out of your battery even in power saving mode. Considering it need to be open to track steps for hatching eggs etc it is a bit much and I don't want to get a battery pack just to play this for a reasonable amount of time.

• Also, the fluttering leaves are supposed to mean pokemon, but not once have I come across one near them.

This actually does work, though it doesn't seem to work every time. I have had a few pokemon come springing out of the leaves.
  • Ahmet said:
    Cooper said:
    Pokemon Go is kind of fun, but the amount of potential wasted makes me want to cry. I can't believe how awesome this game COULD have been, but isn't.

It's not pay to win, there will be trading in the future, and (i really can't argue with the -actual- battles part but) the way they are now better serves an app (such as Pokemon GO) where you're supposed to be constantly on the move, going out and finding things. I'd never use the goddamn app if there was a potential for a 30 minute battle to happen. It'd be a real pain if you had to stop for 5 minutes every time you wanted to catch something, or even at the gyms, where you'd have to devote much more time to taking down current defenders (not to mention the extra stress on the servers, they were bad enough at launch already).
    While I mostly agree with this it is somewhat pay-to-win and pay-to-lazy when you can repeatedly buy an item that attracts all the Pokemon in the area to you.

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Kalithea said:
    Ahmet said:
    Cooper said:

While I mostly agree with this it is somewhat pay-to-win and pay-to-lazy when you can repeatedly buy an item that attracts all the Pokemon in the area to you.
    From what I can tell, the incense just makes it likelier for things to spawn near you, instead of actually pulling things from the area. Of course, I could be wrong, but that just seems like what it is from my few uses.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Kalithea said:
    Ahmet said:
    Cooper said:

From what I can tell, the incense just makes it likelier for things to spawn near you, instead of actually pulling things from the area. Of course, I could be wrong, but that just seems like what it is from my few uses.
    I can literally sit on my ass in my apartment and they spawn ontop of me over and over 

• Kalithea said:
    Ahmet said:
    Kalithea said:
    Ahmet said:
    Cooper said:

I can literally sit on my ass in my apartment and they spawn ontop of me over and over 
    Seriously lucky. I can leave my app on all day at the house and there's nothing nearby. At all. But I'm seriously in a rural area and it's all based off of cell use/population. I'm hoping they make it more friendly for rural people, but I severely doubt it at this point.
    meh

• Trilliana said:
    Kalithea said:
    Ahmet said:
    Kalithea said:
    Ahmet said:
    Cooper said:

Seriously lucky. I can leave my app on all day at the house and there's nothing nearby. At all. But I'm seriously in a rural area and it's all based off of cell use/population. I'm hoping they make it more friendly for rural people, but I severely doubt it at this point.
    I was hoping I could like go deep into the wilderness somewhere and find rares that won't spawn in cities/suburbs. Then maybe go somewhere crazy like the Alps and find a swizz only pokemon thing..
  • Rangor said:
    I was hoping I could like go deep into the wilderness somewhere and find rares that won't spawn in cities/suburbs. Then maybe go somewhere crazy like the Alps and find a swizz only pokemon thing..
    Articuno
  • Aesh said:
    Rangor said:
    Articuno

All I know is that if I was in the company and deciding on certain pokemon locations on the world map...I would say "Let's put Mewtwo atop Mount everest...not like anyone will find it"
  • Asmodron said:
    Aesh said:
    Rangor said:
    Articuno

All I know is that if I was in the company and deciding on certain pokemon locations on the world map...I would say "Let's put Mewtwo atop Mount everest...not like anyone will find it"
    The mountain next to mount everest. Someone would check everest.
    There are eventually supposed to be spontaneous events that pop up like the trailer showed in Times Square. From what I've read, they're not intended to be announced in advance, just a spur of the moment thing and a chance to capture a rare.

Also, today is the birthday of a really close childhood friend, and his little brother has organized a gathering for Team Mystic to be driven around the city by a DD so we can call drink and catch wilds and see how much of the city we can take over.