Warp Trolls

Comments

• I'm just glad I've stayed off Mindfshells radar then. Otherwise reagent hunting would be a whole different kettle of buffalo.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Aereidhna said:
    nevermind!
    A nude infant swimming in blue tinted water toward a dollar bill which is attached to a string
  • @Xaden  Thank you, that means a lot!

@Dortheron  I can see that being the case.  6-12 hours was an ideal time, but I wanted to provide an ample amount of time for people to properly defend a wormhole if it was attacked in the offhours.  12 Hours seems to be the sensible solution to that, provided routine maintenance.  I would think a 1/3rd, or even 1/2 chance for it would be nice.  However, this only really shows up if the Warp is found before it has finished the "Closing" state.  If the warp does infact "Close", no evidence is left behind and everyone is simply wondering where the heckle a wormhole went.

So let's revise that I suppose.

Splicing new Wormholes
    12 hours to properly open (with maybe 45-60 minutes of splicing).  The rest is just time left for it to properly mature.  During this 'maturing' time, the wormhole is in the "Opening" state
    In this period, if the wormhole comes under attack (after the splicing), it can be shut down with about 45-60 minutes of de-splicing.  This, however, only requires ONE person to start the attack.  If they are a Serpent, it is 45 minutes, otherwise, 60.  Due to the wormhole not being "functionable" yet, it can be attacked.  You have no risk of being 'vortexed' through it (whatever that means), due to this.  So attacks on you in that nature aren't possible.  However there is a bit of baby sitting needed to properly see that the wormhole opens, which I think everyone is perfectly fine with.  

Closing Wormholes
    After a wormhole has completed "Opening", it enters into the "Opened" state.  As of right now, it can do everything a wormhole can do normally.  This is where things get more interesting.  With routine maintenance (just checking it), your wormhole should be fine.  However, forcing the wormhole into the "CLOSING" state requires 2 people attacking it.  If you have ones on both ends, the time is a lot quicker (45 minutes).  If you have both on one end, it is longer (60).  If at least ONE of the splicers is a serpent, reduce the time on it by 15 minutes each.  This means that in optimal conditions, this turns a wormhole battle into 30 minutes, uninhibited, of de-splicing it.  Now, this doesn't instantly stop it.  It however turns off the ability to "Vortex" people through it  (no more snagging, people!).  There is a 1/2 chance that the "essence" of whoever attacked the Wormhole is left on the wormhole in question.  This reduces to 1/3rd if the person attacking it (on that end) was a Serpent.

To perform maintenance on a portal that is "CLOSING", it requires one person.  This person, as above with SPLICING, only requires 45-60 minutes of repair it after it has entered the "CLOSING" phase.  This phase lasts for 12 hours, and once finalized, the wormhole is destroyed.

Now, what does this mean exactly?  There will be a few changes needed.

A)  The ability to create wormholes will be added to Survival.  However, to not devalue the ability that Serpents get to use it, it will have a longer timer to splice it. (60 mins comp to 45)
    B)  Splicing times are reduced if at least one person is a serpent.  This happens by taking the average of their times.  1 serpent and 1 survivalist means 52.5 minutes.
    C)  ATTACKING Wormholes follows this same formula.  A Serpent attacks it about 25% faster than a Survivalist.
    D)  REPAIRING a Wormhole follows this same formula.  A serpent REPAIRS it about 25% faster than a Survivalist.
    E)  "Essence" is left behind based on RNG for who attacked a wormhole after it was already in the "OPENED" state.  Serpents get a lower chance than Survivalists.

Now, how does this affect people?

Well, it means that serpents aren't the be-all end-all of making wormholes.  (Which seemed to be an issue in this thread).  Anyone can do it, Serpents just do it better.  It's like how some classes get Clotting before Survivalists get it in survival.  They just do it better.  Now, 15 minutes might not seem like that long, but remember that there is a thing that makes splicing time a lot quicker, which would probably also translate to ATTACK time or something.  I don't know.  @Tecton could make a new artefact that makes attacking wormholes quicker.  Easy $$$ right there.

It also provides more stability for a "Wormhole war!"  No longer will it be "Well crud, guess SOMEONE DESTROYED OUR ENTIRE HUB WHILE WE WEREN'T LOOKING!"  and never being able to find out who.  It gives chances to retaliate, gives chances to defend your turf after you've worked your rear end off to make it live.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    edited April 2016
    Serpents need a secondsight-esque defence that warns them of warps being cancelled. Extend cancellation time. Use the damaged wormhole mechanic as a transitional phase, during which it can be repaired. A way to check who cancelled a wormhole. Any/all of these solutions would make the all-round shittiness that is worm cancellation conflict infinitely better, even if they don't resolve the issue completely. Perhaps make cancel times on islands much longer (doubtful but I'd like it) because some assholes like going and cancelling warps like Ilyrean/Colchis/Lothos/Zaphar just for the hell of it.

I mean, come the fuck on guys.

You wanna take out a "city's" warphub? Fine. Blow up the whole of Thera. See if I care.

You wanna deal with a security risk to your city? Suuuure. Go ahead. Do it.

If you want to waste hours of someone's time, someone who has NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU OR YOUR CONFLICTS, working on quests or waiting on denizens after they go through the trouble of getting to an outer island just because you can? Fuck you. You're a detriment to the community. Anyone who does this without EXTREMELY good reason should be shrubbed.

tl;dr: quit being jerks. if a wormhole doesn't pose a security risk, you probably shouldn't touch it. you can benefit from using them just as much as your 'enemy'.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Fred, so a few more things:

Non-serpents making wormholes? Please no.

Serpents taking 45 minutes to splice a wormhole? Gods no. 15 minutes is bad enough already. 
    Huh. Neat.
  • I'm not sure making people afk for 45 minutes is much better.
  • Well Idk what the current timer is for splicing.  If 45 minutes is just as bad...

Then whatever it is normally now.  Serpents are 25% faster than Survivalists.
  • @Frederich Good basic directions overall, but needs some changes. 

Serpents should be the only ones able to splice. This is a skill that is directly linked to subterfuge and comes with at least 3 or more skills that has to do with warps in general. It doesn't really have any reason to be accessible to other classes other than the warp stick (artefact). 

The major issues seem to be split into two general areas. 
    1. Needs to alert organization/city of warps being destroyed in the area. 
    2. Balance of effort needed to splice/cancel is disproportionate. 

I'll address issue 2, since good ideas have already been said about issue 1. 
    Current time is 30 minutes for splice, 15 with a jewel (artefact). Needs 2 serpents to stand still. 
    Cancelling takes 30 minutes, one side from ANY player that has enough lessons in survival. 

Proposed fix:
    Require two serpents to imbed a vibe on ONE side of the wormhole that'll detonate the warp in 6 hours. Takes 30 minutes to imbed vibe.
    If the imbedding process is cancelled or disturbed, the wormhole can be repaired at a fractional cost of the splicing time. 
    The room with the imbedded vibe will show on room description for those who have SECONDSIGHT on, much like what a burning tank looks like. 

• Current splice time is 15/7.5, it's 30 to cancel
  • Right, sorry. I got confused for a second haha. 

• Xaden said:
    I'm just glad I've stayed off Mindfshells radar then. Otherwise reagent hunting would be a whole different kettle of buffalo.
    I'll be cancelling your free pass now, poacher.
  • Antidas said:

Unless the warps specifically harm you in some way, why bother? You're just being that dick I hate who goes around making life harder for everyone else because its fun to see them get mad.
    Isn't that the point? It's fun to sneak in somewhere, wreck someone's shit, totally get away with it, and then hear their cries of anguish when they discover what you've done and are forced to deal with it. There are vanishingly few other ways you can do that in this game (justifiably, but still).
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Antidas said:

Unless the warps specifically harm you in some way, why bother? You're just being that dick I hate who goes around making life harder for everyone else because its fun to see them get mad.
    Isn't that the point? It's fun to sneak in somewhere, wreck someone's shit, totally get away with it, and then hear their cries of anguish when they discover what you've done and are forced to deal with it. There are vanishingly few other ways you can do that in this game (justifiably, but still).
    But you're not sneaking. You're in one of the most public of places. It doesn't take any skill to afk for 30 minutes.

You're not wrecking someone's shit. You're wrecking a public resource that a large portion of the playerbase utilizes. 

And yes, there are vanishingly few other ways that you can piss off such a large swathe of the playerbase with little to no effort while fucking afk. Again, a good thing.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Grandue said:

It looks like Quisse shared the transcript of the conversation, I can only hope she also shared around the OOC messages sent between us immediately following the IC conversation. Grandue wasn't going to correct the misinterpretation ICly but that doesn't mean OOCly I felt good about how it was received.  I apologized to her for it coming across as sexist and how it wasn't my intention and how I felt terrible it came out that way and how I didn't want it to offend her OOCly and that if there was any way I could help them make the conflict between Targ and Ashtan more enjoyable for everyone to feel free to reach out to me OOCly and I would do what I could, does anyone know if that part of the conversation was sent around? When I had started this thread to discuss warp hubs I never dreamed of it turning into a war trying to assault my character or everyone scrutinizing a 30 second conversation between the leader of Ashtan and one of the Lumarchs of Targ. WTF. Let's keep this on topic perhaps?
    She did, she shared it and I sort of felt bad for you but at the same time the fallout of what you said was going to happen. Yes, you stated things wrong, and you back tracked them ooc, which is fine. IC though you still look like a dick. No offense lol. I've never talked to you IC or OOC So I don't know who you are but that is the person you've portrayed to those whom have  never spoken to you. So you can see why they'd think that of you now though.

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Why isn't Targossas on a non-stop wormhole-canceling spree? Wormholes destabilize the Weave, and they should be declaring all-out war on wormholes for inching us ever-closer to a state of Oblivion.

Seriously, how hypocritical of Targ to selectively tolerate wormholes just because it's convenient.
  • Krypton said:
    Why isn't Targossas on a non-stop wormhole-canceling spree? Wormholes destabilize the Weave, and they should be declaring all-out war on wormholes for inching us ever-closer to a state of Oblivion.

Seriously, how hypocritical of Targ to selectively tolerate wormholes just because it's convenient.
    Agreed, time to unleash the hounds.

#WarOfTheWarps2016

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited April 2016
    And then the warp rebels.

#SearchForTheEmperorOfMankind

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Atalkez said:
    Krypton said:

Agreed, time to unleash the hounds.

#WarOfTheWarps2016
    Because then they'd have to ban serpents and any other class that disturbs the weave like alchemists. :p 
  • Read first 3 pages and decided that wormhole destruction is a degenerate mechanic. 

The idea that warp destruction should take longer (24hrs) would mean serpent infiltration would be unstoppable for 24 hrs once the wormhole is made. 

However, if wormhole destruction required 2 individuals at either end of the wormhole and/or destroying a wormhole gave a debuff that prevented using wormholes for a set duration, it would make wormhole destruction take more prep and also prevent trolls from running amok unravelling years of work in a few hours. 

• edited April 2016
    Borran said:
    destroying a wormhole gave a debuff that prevented using wormholes for a set duration
    That...is actually a pretty smart idea. It'd give an actual disincentive to cancelling. Especially if the "cooldown" applied to cancelling wormholes too - so you can't just sit there and cancel 5 in a row.
  • It'd give a disincentive to cancelling to some people. I own a warp stick, but since I choose to navigate manually most of the time and own Atavian wings I only use a handful of warps. I could happily cancel some warps and not care about not being able to warp for a while afterwards. I could also cancel some warps and just log off for the night.
  • I really don't know what the right solution is, but given the amount of wormhole hub vandalism that has happened tonight I can say with certainty that this thread has inspired some asshat to go on a consequence free cancellation spree. I hope at least some positive change comes from it.
  • Anaria said:
    I really don't know what the right solution is, but given the amount of wormhole hub vandalism that has happened tonight I can say with certainty that this thread has inspired some asshat to go on a consequence free cancellation spree. I hope at least some positive change comes from it.
    Where was this done?
  • Some men just love to watch the world burn. 

Let one of the Celani that are about to graduate become Lord Janus, God of Portals and let Him rain hellfire down on all those who cancel warps, but not the fun kind of punishment where people who want conflict will find it fun to cancel warps in order to gain His attention... But the terrible kind of punishment where you cancel a wormhole and then realize that you all of the sudden have forgotten all of your subterfuge and survival skills and have to pay lessons to relearn them... or that the zap you receive charred your artifacts into dust or killed your arty pet permanently. You know, the more fitting kind of punishment for being the asshat that you are. 
  • You know, maybe this is because I don't care about fast travel but the amount of upset about this whole thing is just kind of silly. It's less impactful than the dickheads who used to buy out comms and make the prices skyrocket, and I didn't even fuss too much over that.

• What do people prefer? Exterm Wars or Warp Wars?
  • Tahquil said:
    What do people prefer? Exterm Wars or Warp Wars?
    Yes.