Ideas for gold sinks and IG credit prices

Comments

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    A lot of these things like heraldry, clan upgrades etc are basically one-off payments too. Unless you're the sort of person to change their CoA every couple of months. 

That said, I think that org gold is a whole different issue. Cities can sit on however large coffers they like. The real problem is personal wealth. 

• Could increase the bank demmurage fee (the fee the bank charges to keep your gold safe) across the board by a very small amount.- say 5 basis points (0.05%) per  achaean year (That's 5 gold for every 1000 gold in the bank per achaean year).  This fee would be "destroyed" and not be added to any city's coffers. The fee could be avoided by not keeping your money in a bank.  Ic'ly this would be justified as the cost of storing all that gold - which is pretty much what demmurage is anyway (note that achaea doesn't have a modern, fractional currency/banking system).
    That would just further encourage people to convert their gold to credits like they're doing now. 

• It may or may not - but the effect is neglible (its only 5 basis points after all). Besides are you looking for gold destruction or not.   Because elsewise your argument devolves from the gold supply is so abundant that it's causing structural damage to the game ( on which the jury is still out) to I want to preserve my buying power at the cost of the buying power of whomever is willing to pay more for cfs then you are - a considerably less persuasive argument.
  • I only read the first page, but what about buying lessons with gold directly? I'm sure that all of this 7000/cr business is Antonius's fault with his 15 classes or whatever. 
    To be clear, I don't have a vested interest in terms of buying IG credits. If anything I fall more into the category of an occasional seller of credits. The high prices right now benefit me immensely, but there's no ignoring how skewed things are becoming.

I just don't think you can talk about gold supply without talking about credit market prices because of how the playerbase values the use of credits over gold as their currency of choice. It's certainly not an immediate gold sink the way a city makes use of gold, but speaking for myself, the gold I collect back invariably finds its way back into one gold sink or another. Mining, crew fees, housing and so forth. 

Also, I'm running a bit on a tangent here, but the game's priority has always been fixed on the PVP side of things while the RP side gets shafted (#bitter). The bulk of personally fueled gold sinks unfortunately tend to be on the latter side. For example, housing making the shift from credit based to comm-based was a good step in the right direction, but our furniture system is still in a mess

• AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    I sat here typing and deleting what I was going to say about PvP gold sinks (some sort of gladiator pit/coloseum where ... oh arenas, make city destruction reliant on ... oh tanks, hike arena pr... oh duels), and just kinda gave up. *sigh*

Fees for quisalis/ivory mark to accept contracts? Yearly dues?

Tl;dr: I'm not good at this, @Xuaco @Kiet and the rest of you start stealing from well-established pvpers much more frequently.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Skye wrote:
    Also, I'm running a bit on a tangent here, but the game's priority has always been fixed on the PVP side of things while the RP side gets shafted (#bitter).

That's because I never had any intention of having an RP game when I designed Achaea. It was designed for PvPers who want to play in a fantasy world. I used to personally shout out, as Sarapis, the lyrics to whatever song I happened to be listening to irl at the moment when I felt like it, for instance.

People also simply spend far more on PvP type things than roleplay type things, and we're a tiny business who doesn't have the luxury of losing money. 
  • I'd like to give a shout out to Weezer then, as this song title feels appropriate!

• I mean obv seragorn/cain have spent more money than most, but cyrene alone is a few hundred thousand credits I'm pretty sure.
  • I'm the unicorn who sells more credits than I buy. I never purchase credits from CFS, but I sell to the tune of 400-500 or so per month. I also bash/fish for gold, but given that most of my Achaea time revolves around family/city/House RP and goals, sometimes I can't bash or fish to keep up enough with my gold sinks, which are many and varied.

It's hard to think about adding more gold sinks because I run out of gold faster than I can make it or sell credits to get it. But I'm evidently in the minority. (I also don't play for the PK, although heaven knows I've spent a LOT of money on the quality-of-life and bashing arties.)

I know nothing about economics. But I think so far that things like forging, housing, mining, seafaring, crafting costs, and so on are decent gold sinks, and certainly converting other things (as was done with housing) or adding new things (as was done with mining) would be amazing.

So for ideas.... Please more gold auctions? More possible shopping areas like Delos where players can buy/rent shops? More house decorations like the flowerpots Ijel has - I just bought six and might go buy six more? (I mean, there's a wealth of possibilities here, we could go from super cheap to middling to super expensive.) I idea'ed this awhile ago, but forging rankings that give incentive to grandmaster and legendary blacksmiths to continue to master descriptors? Another thing I idea'ed, house pets that function like ship kittens?
  • I think the hardest thing is just imagining how to make the game more accessible to novices with this issue - and the only thing that really makes sense to me is Rangor and Kez's posts about nerfing gold drops from bashing. But that just breaks my heart because...if I had to rely on only fishing gold (and questing/butterflying/whatever gold, which doesn't really count in my mind) I'd probably lose it a bit. I'm open to ideas, though.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Kiet said:
    I mean obv seragorn/cain have spent more money than most, but cyrene alone is a few hundred thousand credits I'm pretty sure.
    Seragorn doesn't put real life money into the game, it's all from bashing. He might have done a few purchases here and there, but since he has a family irl he just works his ass off with hunting to earn whatever it is he wants through in-game means. Pretty impressive to say the least when you see his artie list and have an idea of how quickly he can save up for things when he has the time.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Medi said:
    I only read the first page, but what about buying lessons with gold directly? I'm sure that all of this 7000/cr business is Antonius's fault with his 15 classes or whatever. 
    I bashed about three million gold back in December, and I have about half of that left still. That's been topped up in very small amounts when I've occasionally hunted, on the occasional sea monster hunting trip, etc.

The majority of the nine classes I have were done through credit purchases from the website. I think maybe 3-400 credits out of however many for 8 additional classes and associated artefacts were bought from org credit sales and CFS.
  • Kayeil said:
    Kiet said:
    I mean obv seragorn/cain have spent more money than most, but cyrene alone is a few hundred thousand credits I'm pretty sure.
    Seragorn doesn't put real life money into the game, it's all from bashing. He might have done a few purchases here and there, but since he has a family irl he just works his ass off with hunting to earn whatever it is he wants through in-game means. Pretty impressive to say the least when you see his artie list and have an idea of how quickly he can save up for things when he has the time.
    Oh, okay. Well, whoever spends rl money.
  • edited March 2016
    Aereidhna said:
    I think the hardest thing is just imagining how to make the game more accessible to novices with this issue - and the only thing that really makes sense to me is Rangor and Kez's posts about nerfing gold drops from bashing. But that just breaks my heart because...if I had to rely on only fishing gold (and questing/butterflying/whatever gold, which doesn't really count in my mind) I'd probably lose it a bit. I'm open to ideas, though.
    This is the opposite of making the game more accessible to novices unless you ONLY nerfed like the level 90+ areas. Would also take a while for people to actually run out of gold.
  • edited March 2016
    Pretty much all of Grandue's was earned in-game too, which is quite a fair bit more than Seragorn has... Though a fair portion of tha twas back when bloodroot sold for like 100g each, and credits were half the price they're at now.

Grandue also has a bunch of shops / huge mining earnings too, though, afaik.

• If the issue is accessibility to newer people, so they can trans their skills in a free-to-play model, then just have 5000 lessons available to buy per player at 1000g each. That will remove a significant portion of gold, while not putting a hard price on credits because once you've bought those, you're back to buying credits. 
  • They already nerfed UW and Annwyn gold drops last year (or the year before?). However, then they added things like the Golden Braid and Ahmetite and introduced Battlerage, which increased denizen gold drops by a factor greater than it increased the clear time for those areas, so the effect was completely undone.

Honestly, getting rid of Golden Braid and Ahmetite just seems like a no brainer. It seemed absurd to explicitly reduce the amount of gold high level bashing areas generated, then turn around and add things that only high-level people are going to keep hold of (relics) that undo all of that.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Yeah Grandue is more of a business man, whereas Seragorn just grinds for everything he earns. I'm sure Seragorn could get into business stuff too, but it's really not his thing.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Antonius said:
    Medi said:
    I only read the first page, but what about buying lessons with gold directly? I'm sure that all of this 7000/cr business is Antonius's fault with his 15 classes or whatever. 
    I bashed about three million gold back in December, and I have about half of that left still. That's been topped up in very small amounts when I've occasionally hunted, on the occasional sea monster hunting trip, etc.

The majority of the nine classes I have were done through credit purchases from the website. I think maybe 3-400 credits out of however many for 8 additional classes and associated artefacts were bought from org credit sales and CFS.
    You, sir, are insane! And thanks for funding all of our play <_<
  • Fairly sure than an hour worked IRL gives me more credits than an hour bashing IG. :)
  • Outside of new mechanics which people may or may not even use there are only a few options:

1) Increase lower level hunting gold and decrease higher level stuff to make credits easier to obtain for newbies. This probably won't change price if done properly but helps solve one of the main issues people claim to care about when talking about cheaper credits

2) Lower gold drops across the board, this is likely to increase supply of credits but will also make your gold worth more, doesn't really accomplish that much

3) Greatly increase current upkeep costs for ships, mines etc. This may somewhat effect credit prices but it will annoy the piss out of everyone that's now being taxed by the game.

Otherwise, for people bitching about supply of credits not keeping up with demand, you're simply wrong. If you demand credits you will buy them at whatever price. If you choose to wait for a lower price then that's your own problem, not the market's.
  • Scale gold drops to adventurer level?
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    I'd very much like to see the bank accounts/stored gold of people who sit on ridiculous amounts of money/make ridic amounts of money (@Grandue @Penwize @Trey).

Lowering gold income isn't going to fix the issue any time in the near future if a number of players are sitting on ridiculous amounts of gold as it is, and they aren't tempted to sink all their gold into some new sink (not directed at tagged names, just general statement)

TBH seeing any of your bank statements I think I'd die.
    Huh. Neat.
  • edited March 2016
    Melodie said:
    Sarapis said:
    Skye wrote:
    Also, I'm running a bit on a tangent here, but the game's priority has always been fixed on the PVP side of things while the RP side gets shafted (#bitter).

That's because I never had any intention of having an RP game when I designed Achaea. It was designed for PvPers who want to play in a fantasy world. I used to personally shout out, as Sarapis, the lyrics to whatever song I happened to be listening to irl at the moment when I felt like it, for instance.

People also simply spend far more on PvP type things than roleplay type things, and we're a tiny business who doesn't have the luxury of losing money. 
    I think I can comfortably say I represent a large portion of people who would find this particular disappointing, to say the least.

Obviously the original intentions are perfectly understandable, but all projects (especially ones like this that are ever-shifting as time moves forward) change and move their focus in order to remain viable. I would say without the RPers (several of whom do spend as much or more than PVPers just because they can and this is their hobby) who are scattered throughout the game, many of the PVPers wouldn't be nearly as invested.

A great many people like a good, wholesome combination of both, because one usually can beget the other. I think if this was just a PVP-centric game, it would have died a long time ago.
    I'm not sure what there is to be disappointed with. I'm simply stating facts. Achaea wasn't originally designed to be a roleplay-heavy game, and PvP drives far more revenue directly than roleplaying does. 

I'm actually unsure which we spend more effort/time on. Classleads are a significant investment of time that are mainly about PvP, whereas events, which are mainly about RP, are also very intensive to run (especially given that they're transient and once they're over, they're over). 

There's no doubt at this point that RP is woven into the fabric of Achaea, and that seems pretty unlikely to change.