Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Predatory Advances

1235»

Comments

• BluefBluef DelosMember Posts: 2,176 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited February 2016
    Tahquil said:
    I don't think mass ignoring is going to be a viable solution here. If your being harassed then sure. But mass ignoring is kinda like putting your fingers in your ears going 'la, la not happening."

For example: if you ignore X then you can't see certain things. This would include if they are trying to groom novices over orgtells. Where you could warn them (novice and X).

or if a novice comes to you saying X is being creepy all you can do is advise the novice to ignore but you can't go out, for example, naming and shaming them on the public boards, warning other people about it or exacting your own revenge on them because it breaks the rules of your ignore.

mass ignoring those "we all know who they are" means the only people not ignoring them don't know that they have this rep. I mean, I assume I'm part of 'we' and I can only name three people and I'm not a newb just come across from anothe IRE game. I  do assume there are more than that.

All these ideas about taking a positive approach, making it about the newcomers, having them feel welcomed, etc. or the ones about let's kill the predator (which benefits us, and does nothing to them since they don't give two shits about XP, their RP reputation, etc.). and let's face it: That's what we've already been doing and it doesn't work

If you know someone who is a predator -- and let me stress this again: WE ALL DO (if you claim not to you've been playing Achaea in .a bubble or you're being willfully ignorant of what is a systemic problem in this game and others like it) -- and you continue to offer them the ability to interact with you, your newcomers, your citymates, etc. then you are part of the problem IMO. 

Lots of people used a handy a script to snub people on forums who were toxic and that worked pretty well. Then moderators could police the truly habitual offenders because there wasn't a sea of terrible posts going back and forth to wade through every single day before even getting to the arses causing all the trouble. The same principal applies here.

Why wouldn't we mass ignore them? They are in effect antisocial. They are not contributing to Achaean life. They are a detriment to the culture of this game. If we all took a stand together, they'd have no one left to prey upon. 

Roselie
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoMember Posts: 3,357 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited February 2016
    @Tahquil pretty much hit the nail right on the head regarding why mass ignore is a bad idea, I think.

First, and foremost, even if a lot of people ignored them, I am fairly sure a lot more would not for whatever reason. That alone makes it ineffective. Then there's the fact that if all of us who actually can do something IGNORE them, we are in the end leaving them a clear path to have their way with newbies and the like. Or what? Are you going to handle newbies a list right off the bat with a host of people to ignore? That as much as anything else is likely to scare a novice off.

Also, I think the forum ignore script all it did was pretty much akin to closing your ears to the problem of people being toxic to each other. It did not resolve the issue, and it would still be unresolved had the admins not taken an active hand in it, which they would have done regardless of script or not.

Personally, I think the best solution we can actually enforce is simply to make newbies feel welcome and comfortable enough that they are not afraid to ask questions without feeling silly, and answer honestly when you ask them if there is an issue or if there's some matter they need help with. And I really do think this goes a long way. I can't count the times I've facepalmed because a newbie asked something and someone felt the need to reply scathingly. All that does is make newbies insecure and unwilling to be forthcoming  next time they need help or feel uncomfortable, which might mean they might just give up and leave.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

Trilliana
  • ElowinElowin Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I can honestly say I don't know anyone or know of anyone who acts like this. Maybe I play in a bubble?
    JacenRangorKlendathu
  • KafzielKafziel Member Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Elowin said:
    I can honestly say I don't know anyone or know of anyone who acts like this. Maybe I play in a bubble?
    ^
    Mami
  • AsmodronAsmodron Member Posts: 3,114 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Obviously our top PKers should make some newbie alt sirens with lucrescent nuts and wait around to see if anyone tries to force themselves on them. They'll be in for the shock of their lives.
    BoosteyaCalen
This discussion has been closed.