Predatory Advances

1235»

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited February 2016
    @Tahquil pretty much hit the nail right on the head regarding why mass ignore is a bad idea, I think.

First, and foremost, even if a lot of people ignored them, I am fairly sure a lot more would not for whatever reason. That alone makes it ineffective. Then there's the fact that if all of us who actually can do something IGNORE them, we are in the end leaving them a clear path to have their way with newbies and the like. Or what? Are you going to handle newbies a list right off the bat with a host of people to ignore? That as much as anything else is likely to scare a novice off.

Also, I think the forum ignore script all it did was pretty much akin to closing your ears to the problem of people being toxic to each other. It did not resolve the issue, and it would still be unresolved had the admins not taken an active hand in it, which they would have done regardless of script or not.

Personally, I think the best solution we can actually enforce is simply to make newbies feel welcome and comfortable enough that they are not afraid to ask questions without feeling silly, and answer honestly when you ask them if there is an issue or if there's some matter they need help with. And I really do think this goes a long way. I can't count the times I've facepalmed because a newbie asked something and someone felt the need to reply scathingly. All that does is make newbies insecure and unwilling to be forthcoming  next time they need help or feel uncomfortable, which might mean they might just give up and leave.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I can honestly say I don't know anyone or know of anyone who acts like this. Maybe I play in a bubble?
  • Elowin said:
    I can honestly say I don't know anyone or know of anyone who acts like this. Maybe I play in a bubble?
    ^
  • Obviously our top PKers should make some newbie alt sirens with lucrescent nuts and wait around to see if anyone tries to force themselves on them. They'll be in for the shock of their lives.
This discussion has been closed.