Ship Changes!

Comments

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Cooper said:
    Kyrra said:
    Ognog said:
    As far as the shipreturn issue is concerned, it seems to me that return to Parthren Gare from islands should be removed. 
    I'll object to this since my wings cost me 15k credits and a lot of the functionality of having island exits is removed if I can no longer Gare back to the mainland.

Otherwise, I might as well move my ship to Ashtan harbour and just use shipreturn... 
    That's not how that works. Your wings function 100% the same - and I definitely recall you saying you would have bought them even if you couldn't use island/off plane/off continent exits.
    But I'd be paying about 800cr to have all of the exits changed because they were chosen based on the fact that I could gare back to the mainland since they only work one way. To me, that is a loss of functionality since that is the purpose I use them for.

I had an exit for Rageteeth Beach before the pebble portal to Meropis was a thing. That was fine, I paid to have the location changed since it became pointless to have. If gare was changed to no longer work on outer islands, I'd be forced to change those exits since it becomes effectively pointless to me. Otherwise I'll just end up doing what people are already bitching about, where I use shipreturn for a free portal because I can't be bothered to keep heartstopping, which I have done in the past when I didn't have access to a ship.

If my wings no longer work in the way that I've been using them, they do lose functionality to me. Sure, I can still use them, but then I have to jump through hoops. I primarily bought them so I didn't have to sail, and I was fine with not being able to have exits to places like Annwyn and Underworld like Tanris had with his wings.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• RuthRuth Singapore
    I want to be a Pirate Lady of hungry krakens. If only we could get to tame these sea monsters along with new AI.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• If you don't sail, fuck you. If you sail, fuck you too. If you're a pirate, you're ok. Otherwise, stop AFKing on ships lolololololo
  • Ruth said:
    I want to be a Pirate Lady of hungry krakens. If only we could get to tame these sea monsters along with new AI.
    HAhahA Because nobody would own a kraken. And raise it to attack ships.
    Or anything like that.
  • edited November 2015
    We apologise, Aegoth appears to have indulged a little too much tonight and will return to us in 24 hours time.

We hope the hangover isn't too awful.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    I can't do shiprepairs on a ship I can captain, when I am not the current captain. Is that how it is supposed to work? (Just want to check.)
  • Seems to be part of the changes...have to be present and presently designated as captain for it to work. Not sure if intentional or not but it makes sense. I was curious about that myself, thanks for asking :)
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    edited November 2015
    Can you ship appoint yourself as crew chief and repair anyway?

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    You can designate yourself as crew chief to make repairs as well, if you don't want to assume captaincy.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    How do you designate as crew chief?
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• I didn't read your post because you said it was 'abusing mechanical oversight'. Sarapis already said it wasn't;
  • People are allowed to disagree with how the admins view things mate. They're not infallible gods IRL. (Personally I don't view it as abuse, either, but I'm not going to skip people's posts with that smug attitude if they do)
  • Kiet said:
    People are allowed to disagree with how the admins view things mate. They're not infallible gods IRL. (Personally I don't view it as abuse, either, but I'm not going to skip people's posts with that smug attitude if they do)
    Well, actually, I'm of the opinion that if the creator and founder of Iron Realms and Achaea says "It's not abuse." then that's the way it is. It doesn't matter if you disagree with it.

People can disagree the earth is round and that it's actually flat if they want to.
  • Daeir said:
    Whatever you want to call it, it is obviously not intended behavior, even if it is tolerated without prejudice.

I cannot fathom that ships were meant to be the bastions that they've become in their original design documents, but whatever. Opinions and all that jazz.
    It doesn't matter if it wasn't originally intended. It is, and this is another quote from Sarapis, emergent gameplay.

You can't have a dynamic and evolving world without emergent gameplay. And that's completely alright.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Kayeil said:
    SHIP APPOINT KAYEIL CHIEF

I still don't get the entitlement to assuming that anyone MUST be available to everyone at every single moment they are logged in. My time is my time, not your time. Also, if we were intended to be constantly available to all RP and interaction, then what's the purpose of being able to opt out of flagging yourself on RP WHO? No where has Sarapis or any other admin ever said any player has to constantly be available for RP or interaction, nor have they said you EVER have to interact if you don't want to. That there are multiple playing styles, and as long as it doesn't violate the rules then you're free to play how you want do what you want with your time. It does not make sense to believe you are entitled to tell someone else how they must play or else they're abusing the game and should never log in until they're ready to go and RP every minute they're logged in.

Sarapis has kept this game running successfully for how long...? lol. I'm pretty sure he has a decent idea of what is good for his game, and what isn't. Just because you don't find how some of the game is run or has been allowed to play doesn't mean you're of the majority opinion, and certainly doesn't mean your opinion trumps everyone else's just because you're you. And isn't good for the future of the game? These non-abused mechanics have been in this game longer than I've been playing (getting close to 4 years now), and the game has been doing great, and continues to be doing just fine.

• Daeir said:
    Just because it is emergent does not mean it is optimal, or anywhere approaching enjoyable, or even good for the future of the game.

Consider that for a moment, and consider the prospect that the producers/developers may not always have the ideal perspective to assess what is actually important for their game. It doesn't become so unreasonable to then question the product of their agency in this regard instead of blindly accepting it for what it is.
    I'm sorry, no.

I'm absolutely going to refute the RIDICULOUS notion that the Administration don't know what's in the best interest of the playerbase, the game and the future of both. They have run a successful business for 18 years on Achaea alone, not to mention the other IRE games.

I will absolutely trust that they know what they're doing.
  • Kez said:

Individuals actively avoiding conflict (as in not initiating anything that would result in a bowel full of swords) shouldn't be expected to sit around as fodder for those who like it. Some say QQ if you want to sit around somewhere you can't be assaulted. What does that give to the people who are complaining about it? You still don't get to interact with them, and that person and their contributions to achaea could simply vanish for good if they find themselves being told to gtfo because their lack of accessibility is destroying the game.
    I could be massively misinterpreting what you're saying here, but it seems like you think the "ship prism" side wants to be able to attack anyone, anywhere, for no reason. Nobody is asking for Open PK here. If you're truly avoiding conflict by not engaging in it or any aggressive actions, you shouldn't be assaulted anywhere except the Free PK areas anyways. 

What some people want is to prevent people that are engaging in conflict from running to a 100% safe zone if the situation isn't completely in their favor, allowing them to opt-out of the consequences of their actions.
  • edited November 2015
    Dalric said:
    Kiet said:
    People are allowed to disagree with how the admins view things mate. They're not infallible gods IRL. (Personally I don't view it as abuse, either, but I'm not going to skip people's posts with that smug attitude if they do)
    Well, actually, I'm of the opinion that if the creator and founder of Iron Realms and Achaea says "It's not abuse." then that's the way it is. It doesn't matter if you disagree with it.

People can disagree the earth is round and that it's actually flat if they want to.
    Then you haven't played or paid attention to a whole lot of Achaea (or other online games). Admins frequently recant their positions if the playerbase disagrees (wow, even in this very thread!). For a long time the admins didn't consider cripplesect abuse, either, but we all knew it was. Appeal to authority is still a logical fallacy in 2015.

You could say it's not 'legally' or 'technically' abuse, sure. But legality isn't what determines what is moral/good/enjoyable. If it did, then we couldn't condemn a single action any  government has ever taken.
  • @Jacen like whom? I cannot think of any serious PvP-er who hangs out on ships to avoid it. Never hear you guys calling out people to get off their ships while you regularly complain about guard stacks. Pretty sure contracts don't expire or anything like that.  Its a "hey I need to cook 100 fish to feed my crew" or need to sleep to recover endurance. Tasks that I literally have no way to do faster other than being left alone.
  • @Jacen I like to think that players have a responsibility to keep things enjoyable for each other, but realistically I know that not everyone feels the same. Shouldn't and can't don't have the same results. Someone freely stated already that they would use the prism ability to grief people.

I said in the paragraph preceding your quote that those who go overboard (like the situation you mentioned) should be made an example of, due to their lack of fair play, rather than penalising everyone for it.

• Daeir said:
    It isn't about PK or targets or whatever, it is about a sizable portion of the playerbase using ships as a means of quasi-instanced impenetrable housing 
    Im no Rocket scientist, but a good business man listens to the masses..and if the upbove is what the masses do, man im keeping that in

@Daeir look down at your posts..you notice not a lot op thumbs up tags, this should tell you something.
    I wanne give you my two year old toys to throw around and get the anger out. You may use big words to sounds mature, but the childishness in your arguments just jumps out.

Shut it or bring considerable constructive opinions to the table. I have 130 people working for me, if someone acting like you...first off ,they'll be out of my office under 2 seconds, secondly their opinions get the least noticed.

I understand the top Pvp Players frustration, you wanne hunt someone and when he hides on a SHIP..then that will get me ticked off. Maybe try and convince the garden that people with bounties on their heads should be prismable/Accesible on ships. But dont attack someone like @Kayeil indirectly (who has never in her live wanted to fight ) because she wants a carefree zone where she can inkmill.

Im a Rogue for a reason, i dont care for politics or pvp..am I yelling for that to be taken away?NO
    Lets find a constructive way to help Sarapis and team to make the game ,all of us will enjoy

Let the guy post in peace? Have you not read his posts across two threads going so far as being insulting and even acting like Sarapis completely clueless? I'd like to see Daeir buy Sarapis out of Achaea and try out all his ideas and see how well Achaea lasts and runs then. Sarapis has been in this business long enough.

Also, gold gathering is not that difficult, especially not as difficult as it used to be. Harbours have no trouble filling up. I think more people have some level of involvement in seafaring than you think.

Sarapis and those who work with him do not always appeal to numbers or complaints. As has been stated before, there've been many times they've stuck to their decisions despite complaining. You claim it's not good to appeal to numbers to argue something, but I don't see Sarapis arguing anything. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they didn't have plans A, B, C, D, etc.

• I'm not sure where to start with your post since you're arguing with strawmen I never even posted but ok.

1) Daeir never said Sarapis was completely clueless, merely that the admin are human beings and  can be wrong. This is completely reasonable. They are, in fact, human beings.

2) Gold gathering is 'not that difficult' if you have several hours a day to play, every day, and you want to gather gold for most of those over a long period of time. Most people do not have a ship, because most people don't have this kind of free time/knowledge/will.  I'm not sure why that's a contentious point.

3) The ones I said were appealing to numbers weren't the admins, it was the people I specifically replied to.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Ruth said:
    Kayeil said:
    SHIP APPOINT KAYEIL CHIEF
    also SHIP ASSUME CHIEF
This discussion has been closed.