Multiclass (It's here!)

Comments

• As someone who has bought several repeat artefacts for multiple characters, I certainly see awesome. I'm just sad it didn't come much sooner, since any multiclassing that would interest me at the moment is already covered by established alts. It'd be cheaper than what I've spent on diadems alone, probably, and then there's SoAs and gems. Thinking of another gem of transmutation, too. :(

At least next time another class catches my eye, it shouldn't be as rough as a new alt.
  • Sobriquet said:
    But for those of us who have never change class (Speaking purely on Sobriquet here) there is now a total lack of character / class identity. Sure, a habitual class changer used to chop and change a lot and it got expensive but at least there was an identity for that character for a period of time. We aren't all like Seftin, or Ainly or whoever changes class at the drop of a hat. 

With guilds we had a unique and distinct identity to our character and what they wanted to be and while Guilds were changed (and rightly so) this seems to have taken us full circle to making a character in spite of their class, not because of it. Just feels... wrong

I'm not saying it's bad, but certainly wouldn't put it in the "awesome" bracket.
    I've always struggled with the class identity thing. Seems like taking stereotypes to an extreme. A few knights have pulled it off, and a few serpents (very few).
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Antonius said:
    Sobriquet said:
    But for those of us who have never change class (Speaking purely on Sobriquet here) there is now a total lack of character / class identity. Sure, a habitual class changer used to chop and change a lot and it got expensive but at least there was an identity for that character for a period of time. We aren't all like Seftin, or Ainly or whoever changes class at the drop of a hat. 

With guilds we had a unique and distinct identity to our character and what they wanted to be and while Guilds were changed (and rightly so) this seems to have taken us full circle to making a character in spite of their class, not because of it. Just feels... wrong

I'm not saying it's bad, but certainly wouldn't put it in the "awesome" bracket.

There's only a "total lack of character / class identity" if you pick up a second class, and even then only if you allow it to completely change the way your character acts - especially if they acted completely differently based on what class they currently were. Ultimately, your character might be influenced by the class they chose, but they should still be them even if they change away from that class.

My character was heavily influenced by being a Paladin - though much more by the organisations being a Paladin meant he was a part of than the class itself - but all of those things don't just disappear because I picked up Blademaster too.

I guess the identity thing is less of an issue with sword wielding classes. Moving between Pally and Runie makes a lot of sense. Multiclassing Jester with, for example, alchemist less so. Maybe Jester / Shaman would fit better though. Like I said, I'm not saying this is bad at all, just don't see the excitement that some others do

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • I'm pretty much just going to echo a couple points I feel are the most pressing.

The first is the requisite THANK YOU to @Tecton and @Sarapis and whoever else worked endlessly behind the scenes for this massive change to Achaea. The fact that people immediately complain about being given more of something is beyond me. People, you didn't have anything taken away, you had more handed to you! Show a little gratitude and less attitude!

Every IRE that has introduced multi-classing does it a little differently. Not at all surprising, as that's the case with most things IRE does. That said, I do wholeheartedly agree that if various classes share an entire skill (Devotion, Chivalry, Tarot, Weaponmastery, Groves, Metamorphosis, Necromancy), it is a massive downer to have to re-learn it from scratch, especially with the increase in lesson cost per class. It would be phenomenal (and I'm going out on a limb to say wildly rejoiced) if these shared skills did not start over at 0% inept. Making them swap over starting somewhere between Virtuoso and Mythical would be extremely gracious, and far less frustrating. Of course, I don't think anyone would balk if these shared skills simply transferred over at Transcendent... but I'm trying for a reasonable middle ground between continuing to treat IRE's player base well, and IRE being a business not just a game.

I'm all for multi-classing requiring levels, or payment. Encouraging players to have goals to get to something for "free" (let's not argue semantics over paying for the lessons in the class itself right here) or otherwise having to pay for instant gratification doesn't seem all that far fetched. Besides, if you have the money to dish out for class skills, the thought is probably that you have the money to dish out for the class itself by getting it prematurely. Also, most cities seem to have rewards for getting to Dragon these days so... get to Dragon, get an ADDITIONAL end game class by just getting to Dragon, get City rewards, possibly House rewards, and the option to get another class. The problem is...?

Along that line of thought, I am surprised that the cost of the additional classes went up, and the time for switching classes went down so drastically for the artifacts. I mean, the first artifact cutting the time in half for 350 credits seemed entirely reasonable to me, as did the others. This is probably not a popular sentiment but it is an honest one.

The last thing that was of note to me was the fact that player traits are going to be tied in per class, and yet the option to change your racial spec for each class is not an option. If the thought was that racial traits are permissible as changes, and necessary, then I'm missing the notion that brought about the opinion that racial specs aren't. If there is any way that being able to choose a racial spec for each class could be added it would be fantastic. And anyhow, if you ever wanted to reincarnate by doing it that way, you'd have to buy a dagger of reincarnation for each class if you wanted to reincarnate for more than one of them. It's really a win-win situation.

• RuthRuth Singapore
    edited September 2015
    Next question! @Tecton, did I understand right that the 50% lesson refunds for classes I quit are scaled based on how much lessons I put into it? Eg: I tri-transed my 2nd class, so I get 50% of 7500 invested lessons back if I quit it?
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Ashelynne said:

The first is the requisite THANK YOU to @Tecton and @Sarapis and whoever else worked endlessly behind the scenes for this massive change to Achaea. The fact that people immediately complain about being given more of something is beyond me. People, you didn't have anything taken away, you had more handed to you! Show a little gratitude and less attitude!
    Thanks! We're pretty used to some people complaining absolutely no matter what though. We've literally had complaints when giving out free credits, from people who say it's unfair other people got them for free when they bought theirs (nevermind that everybody was getting free credits in the same amount at the same time). 

Along that line of thought, I am surprised that the cost of the additional classes went up, and the time for switching classes went down so drastically for the artifacts. I mean, the first artifact cutting the time in half for 350 credits seemed entirely reasonable to me, as did the others. 

Those were changed, but only because they didn't go in according to plan. In the case of the slot costs, it just got forgotten, and defaulted to using the 100 credits that tradeskills cost (note that miniskills cost somewhere in the range of 40% of a skill, and that the slot costs are scaled similarly). Not sure what happened in the case of the arties, but the advantages they give now are what we agreed on.
  • Ruth said:
    Next question! @Tecton, did I understand right that the 50% lesson refunds for classes I quit are scaled based on how much lessons I put into it? Eg: I tri-transed my 2nd class, so I get 50% of 7500 invested lessons back if I quit it?
    That's certainly the intention!
  • Sarapis said:
    Ruth said:
    Oh no! @Sarapis is paving the path to hell! (good intentions, hur hur)

• Sarapis said:
    If I can be things as diverse as a Game Designer and a Martial Artist, and a Photographer, and a Skier, and a Husband, and a Burner, and a Mountain Biker, and an Entrepreneur, and am demonstrably a real character.."
     @Sarapis Goodness, next time you add something to your life you're going to have to spend a very long time and waaay too many lessons!
    (Legitimately no snark, I just saw an opportunity and I had to. :P)

And for all the folks who can't see an issue, or understand why people may dislike the aspects of the system, that's fine. Just be adult enough to realize that other people don't have to be wrong for you to be right. I love that it's added, and I quite respect the amount of time put into it. I just feel like it is slightly too gated and priced for what all it actually gives.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Even though I bought the creds for it, the price gives me second thoughts cause what I'll have leftover to play around with isn't quite as much as I thought it would be. It's probably because I'm not a habitual class changer.

It's nice to have the option, but I think I'll sit it out a while more while they iron out any other bugs and maybe some kind soul implements support for it on svof >_>

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Sarapis said:
    Ruth said:
    And the case in reality!
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    The traits that one has is tied to classes, which means that I can have a set of traits for my 2nd class which is entirely different from my primary class right?

• Ruth said:
    The traits that one has is tied to classes, which means that I can have a set of traits for my 2nd class which is entirely different from my primary class right?
    They're tied to slots I believe, not classes specifically.
  • edited September 2015
    I still haven't seen an answer to my question 'What is the harm in having multiple non-transed classes that you can only switch between every 12 hours anyway?' There -are- people who aren't habitual class changers who would like to make use of this. Y'know, people for whom the Iron Elite is already pretty pricey. (I'm paying $35 AUD for that now. AUD is under .7 USD.)

I guess I'm just 'entitled'.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Oh, so that means if I happen to quit my 2nd slot class to choose another class when I've already set my set of traits, I'll have to reset it?

• Not sure if I broke life...

Class:                   Runewarden              (full member)

Lesson modifier:         0%

Class skills:            Devotion                (Inept)
                             Chivalry                (Transcendent)
                             Spirituality            (Inept)
                             Runelore                (Transcendent)
                             Weaponmastery           (Transcendent)

Switching cooldown:      12 hours, 55 minutes, and 57 seconds.

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Antonius said:

If you don't want your current primary class, just quit it and then stay as the second one? If you ever want to pick up a second class again later on, I assume you'd just pay the primary class cost.

It's more like.. does my 2nd slot now count as my primary class, and whatever I learn in my 1st slot will cost me 2500 lessons/transed skill? @Tecton

• SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    edited September 2015
    Wow i'm special.... very special. just ask my momma

• Ruth said:
    Antonius said:

If you don't want your current primary class, just quit it and then stay as the second one? If you ever want to pick up a second class again later on, I assume you'd just pay the primary class cost.

It's more like.. does my 2nd slot now count as my primary class, and whatever I learn in my 1st slot will cost me 2500 lessons/transed skill? @Tecton

I would wait for Tecton to confirm, but as far as I can tell it should work like this: When you quit your primary class, your primary class slot is now empty. You get back 50% of the lessons spent on your primary class (so 1738 per Trans skill). Your second class stays as your second class.

If you gain another class, it fills the first empty slot it finds (your primary slot), and you learn with the primary slot modifier (100%).

That's the same way tradeskills work, if I'm not mistaken.

• @tecton *whine* .... 

I love/hate you guys...