Multiclass (It's here!)

Comments

• edited September 2015
    @Tecton : There's some mechanics stuff that's interesting:

1. If somebody is Runewarden and Paladin or Runewarden and Infernal, do they use the same Falcon for both? Or does each class require the person to get a new falcon?

and

2. I edited this into another post but it wasn't seen in time to answer: if a Devotionist is both Priest and Paladin, how does the Bloodsworn function work for him or her? Does he or she get one Bloodsworn partner for Priest and another for Paladin? Could two Devotionists who each have both Priest and Paladin have each other as the Bloodsworn for both classes?

Thanks!
  • Cynlael said:
    Omg new traits too!
    What are the new traits? I only see the old ones, with a couple missing (presumably just a bug caused by the change).
  • edited September 2015
    Triage at least. I don't remember Health Weaver or Mana Weaver, either. Those two add 2% from what I've seen, not sure how good Triage is.

Also, not sure if the fire/cold/electric/poison resist traits were there before or not. Been forever since I looked at minor traits.
  • Oh, it seems that it basically reverted to before announce 3792. The new traits are gone and the old traits returned.
  • Triage is 5% I think. Receptive body/mind also stack with robust/improved physique etc.

Runewardens back to being tanky beasts (tankier, even)

• ---[ OOC ANNOUNCEMENT ]-----------------------------( 2015/09/28 04:21:30 )---
    Looks like there's some traits that are missing, and some old ones that have sprung back 
    up! We're working in a fix for these at the moment.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • ---[ OOC ANNOUNCEMENT ]-----------------------------( 2015/09/28 04:21:30 )---
    Looks like there's some traits that are missing, and some old ones that have sprung back up! We're 
    working in a fix for these at the moment.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think they made the trait system able to be used for multiclass in this way all the way back before they changed traits around, so when it got put in now it was using the old data.
  • edited September 2015
    Overall, after reading over the posts and considering it, I'm VERY pleased with how Multiclass was handled.

IC justification for me is easy - I've always seen classes for adventurers as as esoteric magicky thing anyways. Hence learning/changing/etc. Getting the artie for it makes it even easier - using the shard/chip/stone to 'store' and 'retrieve' a lifetime of knowledge in your skills seems very viable.

My suggestion, @Tecton or whoever, would be to make it so as soon as anyone gets level 80 (or uses bound credits to buy another slot) - give them a 'sliver' of the lorewarden that acts like a level 0 artie - that they can then upgrade. Makes IC justification super simple.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Trevize said:
    Overall, after reading over the posts and considering it, I'm VERY pleased with how Multiclass was handled.

IC justification for me is easy - I've always seen classes for adventurers as as esoteric magicky thing anyways. Hence learning/changing/etc. Getting the artie for it makes it even easier - using the shard/chip/stone to 'store' and 'retrieve' a lifetime of knowledge in your skills seems very viable.

My suggestion, @Tecton or whoever, would be to make it so as soon as anyone gets level 80 (or uses bound credits to buy another slot) - give them a 'sliver' of the lorewarden that acts like a level 0 artie - that they can then upgrade. Makes IC justification super simple.
    This is such an excellent suggestion. Great thoughts, Trevize! I shall put them to good use and hope for that Level 0 artefact to make it all come true (if not, I'll use a runestone, which would be so fitting for Bluef). Thanks for the idea!
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    edited September 2015
    Sarathai said:
    Would really appreciate a "reset" of the no-brainer lesson packages to go with this, if that's at all possible. As mentioned further up-thread, some of us have already likely used them on other things than class skills.
    From the Achaea website:
    This is the best deal for new players. You get 6x more lessons this way than you would with credits! May only be bought twice for a character.

Is this new?? I thought it could only be purchased once!

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Krypton said:
    Sarathai said:
    Would really appreciate a "reset" of the no-brainer lesson packages to go with this, if that's at all possible. As mentioned further up-thread, some of us have already likely used them on other things than class skills.
    From the Achaea website:
    This is the best deal for new players. You get 6x more lessons this way than you would with credits! May only be bought twice for a character.

Is this new?? I thought it could only be purchased once!

Two times for the lessons, once for the credits.
    Take my $20. TAKE IT.
  • Why does there need to be an RP reason for being able to multiclass exactly? If something as simple as that breaks your immersion, then that's really your own problem I think.

• Antonius said:
    How many credits to get unrestricted class switching?
    7225, if I've got the math right, assuming starting level between 100 and 110. 7500, 10050, and 15000 lessons to tritrans your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th classes is 32550 lessons, or 5425, then 200 credits for two extra class slots, and 1600 for the level 3 artefact. That's assuming that the bonus only requires that you have the 5th class, not that you have any lessons in it. 

• edited September 2015
    Cynlael said:
    Why does there need to be an RP reason for being able to multiclass exactly? If something as simple as that breaks your immersion, then that's really your own problem I think.
    I'm starting to feel like an insane person.

Am I insane? Is it really so bewildering and so unreasonable that someone would find a fictional character suddenly swapping in and out entire professions like they're floppy disks, acting like whole skillsets (in the IC sense, not the mechanical OOC sense) are somehow hot-swappable, in a way that they never were before, without any in-fiction justification, should break someone's sense of immersion?

If you were reading a fantasy novel and a character were a wizard, and then five minutes later they were inexplicably a thief with no magical powers, and then five minutes later they were a wizard again with none of the abilities they displayed as a thief, you wouldn't expect some sort of justification? And if there weren't any justification and someone called that a hole in the narrative and said it hurt their immersion in the book, you would tell them that it was silly that something so "simple" could break that immersion and that it seems like it's "their own problem"?

I feel weird even writing this out. But oh well, I guess the horse is sufficiently dead and beaten.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Tael said:
    I took too long to edit that, but:

Maybe you go to Candlemas and greet him and if you're tritrans and you're level 80/have bought your first slot, he says something like: "You wish to follow in the footsteps of the Lorewardens? It has been so long, but I see that already you guard much knowledge. Just as my order was created to safeguard our knowledge against the Chaos Wars, I would create a new order, new Lorewardens, to take up this mantle in light of the Worldreaver and whatever other threats may lie ahead. The other Aldar once thought you unworthy of our task, but even the learned can be proven wrong in time...When my order still toiled, we used special stones to store our knowledge, to hold all our memories and make room for more. As a library holds books, so does a lorewarden's stone hold skills, memories, knowledge. Few stones remain in my possession, and a single stone would likely overwhelm a mortal, but a mere splinter would be enough to store all that fills a mortal head and more. This sliver of one of the last stones of the lorewardens. I am entrusting it to you. You must carry on our project."

Then you can go ask Certimene to gain your new class (and you never have to do this again).

Maybe make the message for CLASS SWITCH reference the stone too.

That could make whole 5-class bonus thing a little more transparent too - it could be tied into the item (maybe make a "greater" thing, so you would have a "sliver of the greater lorewarden" or a "stone of the greater lorewarden" if you have 5 classes) so it's not quite as invisible. Candlemas could even mention that the stone might blossom when you reach a certain degree of knowledge stored in it or something ("I suspect that only a lorewarden of old, only an Aldar could unlock its full potential, but, all the same, as your knowledge blossoms, so too might the stone's power. As it grows, you may one day find it easier to store knowledge and to retrieve the knowledge within.").

I realise that a lot of this probably seems really inconsequential, but I really think it would help a lot. Multiclass in Aetolia was one of the consistently problematic things for breaking immersion when I played (despite players otherwise going further out of their way to avoid breaking it most of the time) since it had no real IC explanation or counterpart to the OOC mechanics, and I think even a threadbare IC excuse would be a real boon to this system.
    We'll see how things go in the future, definitely not adverse to adding some more RP depth to it, but won't be for a bit!
    When Druids/Sylvans switch class, their Grove golem and hive are dismissed.

Golem I get, so we can't order it to kill enemies when we are a different class. But please, please, please can hive stay? It's not a loyal. If you just dismiss any summoned bees, there's nothing we can use the hive for when we are in our secondary class.
  • Eld said:
    Antonius said:
    How many credits to get unrestricted class switching?
    7225, if I've got the math right, assuming starting level between 100 and 110. 7500, 10050, and 15000 lessons to tritrans your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th classes is 32550 lessons, or 5425, then 200 credits for two extra class slots, and 1600 for the level 3 artefact. That's assuming that the bonus only requires that you have the 5th class, not that you have any lessons in it. 

Not really worth it just to shave 5 minutes off of the cooldown. Maybe at some point I'll get to that many classes, but not going to go out and buy enough credits to do it straight away, especially when I'd need to buy artefact weapons for at least some of them.

@Tael I think the difference between Achaea and a book is that there's a long history of Achaea's mechanics changing without any real explanation; adventurers are surely just accustomed to that being the case by now.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    wooooooooo
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • If I go Occie I assume I have to trans Tarot again?

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."