Multiclass (It's here!)

Comments

• I like what was done with traits, but what about race/specialization? Am I stuck only choosing strength based classes or do I have to bite the bullet and buy a gem?

• You're probably going to have to buy a Gem. Pretty glad I never upgraded my Grimoire; nice to have the option to reset my traits for a class occasionally when needed, but there's no way I'd get enough use to need it every two hours.

I've picked up Blademaster and Runewarden so far, haven't really had a chance to look at either of them. Learning takes forever. Bard is my next class, but probably going to bash to 110 for the next free slot to reduce the cost a bit.

• Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. I would prefer a specialization per class slot, but that's a tall order. Same race, different stat pack, that is.

• @Tecton @Makarios Might be nice if buying the lesser lorewarden artefacts set your class change cooldown to the corresponding amount, if it's higher than that. I ate the 12 hour class change cooldown last night so I could learn, then bought the level 3 artefact, but still had the same cooldown (still about an hour and a half left on it).
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Tzond said:
    HELP MULTICLASS and the announce post say  "Normal refunds of lessons apply to additional classes, with embraced individuals receiving 66% of their invested lessons, and journeymen getting 98%." But as far as I'm aware, quitting a class after embracing only refunds 50% of invested lessons. Is this a new change, something specific to multiclassed classes, or just a typo?
    Just a typo, was thinking of artefact trade-ins at 66% (was a very long day/night) - sorry for any confusion!
    Antonius said:
    @Tecton @Makarios Might be nice if buying the lesser lorewarden artefacts set your class change cooldown to the corresponding amount, if it's higher than that. I ate the 12 hour class change cooldown last night so I could learn, then bought the level 3 artefact, but still had the same cooldown (still about an hour and a half left on it).
    I'll look into it!
  • No one goes Jester?
  • So.. This may be a silly question, but considering Kaila is a forestal in Hashan and was 'grandfathered' in.. @Tecton will I be able to switch back to Sentinel if I add another class?
  • Ruth said:
    I would definitely like to hoot like a monkey and throw banana peels onto the floor.
    Don't knock it until you've tried it :)

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
    Kaila said:
    So.. This may be a silly question, but considering Kaila is a forestal in Hashan and was 'grandfathered' in.. @Tecton will I be able to switch back to Sentinel if I add another class?
    If you have the class, yes, you'll still be able to get other non-conflicting classes and switch between them!
  • Perhaps allow people to switch back from an empty class slot if nothing has been learned in it, to the slot that was active before the switch. A small typo can leave you powerless for a while the way it currently is.

• Tecton said:
    Kaila said:
    So.. This may be a silly question, but considering Kaila is a forestal in Hashan and was 'grandfathered' in.. @Tecton will I be able to switch back to Sentinel if I add another class?
    If you have the class, yes, you'll still be able to get other non-conflicting classes and switch between them!
    Woo, thanks! 
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    @Tecton, if I decided that I want my second class to be my primary, is it possible to quit my primary class and shift the 2nd class up to fill the empty slot? Or is that just not possible because of the disparity in lesson cost?
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Even though I'm probably not going to utilize it much, ditto on the thanks for all the effort for multiclass. You can't please everyone, but this looks about the best the concept could be managed. GJ

• Yeah tl;dr - slots should come at 70,80,90,100...

You honestly spent 3 years preparing for multiclass and I can now be... *drum roll* ... two classes.
    But hey, if you'd announced that plan sooner I might have cancelled my Iron Elite a lot sooner, so good move financially.

See ya later, Achaea.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • edited September 2015

I'm a bit confused as to why you'd want/need to be able to switch/move classes. What am I missing?

If you don't want your current primary class, just quit it and then stay as the second one? If you ever want to pick up a second class again later on, I assume you'd just pay the primary class cost.

With regards to slots... There are already tons of rewards for levelling to 100, far fewer for continuing to level past that. If you want more than two classes, and you don't want to bash to level 100, then you can just pay for an extra class slot. The cost for that is a fraction of what it will cost to Trans a third or fourth class, anyway.

• Please point out how awesome it is, as I'm not seeing it. 

• edited September 2015
    Antonius said:

I'm a bit confused as to why you'd want/need to be able to switch/move classes. What am I missing?

If you don't want your current primary class, just quit it and then stay as the second one? If you ever want to pick up a second class again later on, I assume you'd just pay the primary class cost.

With regards to slots... There are already tons of rewards for levelling to 100, far fewer for continuing to level past that. If you want more than two classes, and you don't want to bash to level 100, then you can just pay for an extra class slot. The cost for that is a fraction of what it will cost to Trans a third or fourth class, anyway.

Hm. In a way, I could see it as making the second class your 'main' one and using the first to test out others. Still possible without, just a little more expensive.

Sobriquet said:
    Please point out how awesome it is, as I'm not seeing it. 
    For people like me and other habitual class changers, this is actually a cheap alternative that has the added benefit of changing back pretty often.

I get that it's not for everyone, and there's still a time and place for old fashioned class changes. But really, it's purely an extra benefit that it's obvious was both wanted and lots of effort was poured into it admin-side to give people something they wanted.

At a loss to them, long-term, I'd imagine - considering as I said above, it's actually -cheaper- for people like me and Seftin and all the others who change class regularly.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • But for those of us who have never change class (Speaking purely on Sobriquet here) there is now a total lack of character / class identity. Sure, a habitual class changer used to chop and change a lot and it got expensive but at least there was an identity for that character for a period of time. We aren't all like Seftin, or Ainly or whoever changes class at the drop of a hat. 

With guilds we had a unique and distinct identity to our character and what they wanted to be and while Guilds were changed (and rightly so) this seems to have taken us full circle to making a character in spite of their class, not because of it. Just feels... wrong

I'm not saying it's bad, but certainly wouldn't put it in the "awesome" bracket.

• How I would like to see shared abilities is, as mentioned before, how Imperian does/did it. If you are Transcendent in the shared ability with your primary class, that copies over to Virtuoso within your secondary class. Not as heavy of a lesson investment, but still a lesson investment for the class, itself. 

Overall, I like the feel of multi-class in what I've read. I may be in the minority, but I like feeling as if multi-class is something you either work toward, or pay out the nose for beyond a second class. I know a second class is more expensive than a primary one due to lesson investment, but the way class slots work give me a reason to bash to Dragon (beyond being a Dragon), AND gives me a reason to bash even beyond Dragon if I want more than two other classes.

Realistically, though, even ONE extra class is plenty. I know there are those who want to be able to have every class for every situation, but at the same time, the difficulty and investment encourage careful consideration beyond the "OHH SHINEY" moments. 

One thing that would be nice to consider is giving class ranks for changing classes. Learn two skills to Transcendent, or all three to Fabled, or something like that. Something that allows for non-pkers to enjoy the classes they want and not simply learn so they can branch out into a class they have considered beyond their initial class. 

Keep up the good work, @Tecton and @Sarapis