Mining and Legions

Comments

• Looks like signs are back. And I -would- be the first person to get one.
  • Draekar said:

I think you are confusing me with Delios/Rangor et al. I support your argument/position
    I was, my bad!
  • Signs are back, along with another change made in announce 4408.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited August 2015
    I'm curious about the announce change:

Does this mean the effort to hit "max" is now less effort, or is it only compressed numbers and it will require the same amount of effort to reach level 10 as it did 20, no matter what?

Aka, is this change to help people get into mining easier, or is it simply to make the numbers less complex overall?

Edit: Also signs, wooooo! :hurrah: 
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • I changed the curve. It takes about the same amount of xp to get to level 10 as it did to get to level 20 previously, but it's back-loaded a bit more. It's about 1/3 the time to get to level 2 as it was before, for instance.

It's to effectively increase the cost (measured in time to build up the squads used) of attacking low level legions with higher ones.
  • I thought new miners had a disadvantage in that their mines were easily targeted, so I supported doing away with signs.  Then I realized how annoying it would be to constantly have to keep track of your own citymates/friendly's mines.  I propose a compromise.  Consider making signs indicate only the citizenship of the mine owner.  So, "This is a Mhaldorian Mine."  "This is a Ashtani Mine."  And so in.
  • MINE CREATE SIGN IN <language> - Requires 100 wood

Cyrenian > read sign
    This meteor-sized mine is owned by Dochitha.

Mhaldorian > read sign
    You don't understand a single word on the sign.  

• Ainly said:
    Then I realized how annoying it would be to constantly have to keep track of your own citymates/friendly's mines.
    It would be easier if cities kept track of that themselves, perhaps via projects, perhaps in some kind of national mining consortium. A trade corporation, if you will. Capitalism, ho!
  • Still no lodes in the Fissure.

Also, I missed out on the recent relode(s). But I played in a pretty great show - pictures will be trickling in. :smile: 

• Ainly said:
    Then I realized how annoying it would be to constantly have to keep track of your own citymates/friendly's mines.
    It would be easier if cities kept track of that themselves, perhaps via projects, perhaps in some kind of national mining consortium. A trade corporation, if you will. Capitalism, ho!

The problem would be if mine ownership changed hands quickly. Imagine having to be the person to deal with things like:

You have received message 1: From Person A - Got a mine at 'this place here'

"Ok, time to update project 43-B."

Several minutes later:

You have received message 2: From Person A - Wait, scratch that, someone took my mine.

"-sigh- -reverts update"

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Synbios said:
    Ainly said:

The problem would be if mine ownership changed hands quickly. Imagine having to be the person to deal with things like:

You have received message 1: From Person A - Got a mine at 'this place here'

"Ok, time to update project 43-B."

Several minutes later:

You have received message 2: From Person A - Wait, scratch that, someone took my mine.

"-sigh- -reverts update"
    or rooms like in the tundra, the ice plains. "Uh, is it this ice plains, that ice plains, or the ice plains around the corner there?"
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• I am quite happy that I can also do mining now that I cannot be targeted as "easy pickings" whenever I raise a mine. And yes, large mines on small coal lodes, also got targeted rather quickly. Now I've finally got my legions up on lvls and should be able to compete in this game.
  • Rangor said:
    I am quite happy that I can also do mining now that I cannot be targeted as "easy pickings" whenever I raise a mine. And yes, large mines on small coal lodes, also got targeted rather quickly. Now I've finally got my legions up on lvls and should be able to compete in this game.
    Your mines were probably assaulted because they were YOUR mines, not because they were large mines on small crappy lodes. 
  • Everyone's holding up their iron and stones to build the next mine, and coal to refine iron. The above ground reserves are increasing...it will be hard to see new lode spawning due to this. Is this right? @Tecton

• Dochitha said:
    Everyone's holding up their iron and stones to build the next mine, and coal to refine iron. The above ground reserves are increasing...it will be hard to see new lode spawning due to this. Is this right? @Tecton

My understanding is that lode spawns are not based on the number of commodities present in the world, but rather based on how many commodities villages were producing before the change. Before mining, someone could still (and likely did) hoard iron, stone, and any other commodities they felt were valuable. The villages kept spitting out commodities at a constant rate. My understand from @Sarapis was that lodes will continue to spawn based on a rough figure of how many commodities should be produced in a given time.

So, short answer: no.

On the matter of signs: one reason it's nice to have names on them again is you can attempt to buy out a mine again. 
  • So if a new lode depletes at 202 commodities produced, is that a bug? Or just part of the mining gamble?
  • That is a bug if it was a new lode rather than a mostly minded out one.
  • It was new! Can I  have 2 million in compensation plz? Gold, credits, $$$. I'll take whatever.
  • Grandue said:
    Rangor said:
    I am quite happy that I can also do mining now that I cannot be targeted as "easy pickings" whenever I raise a mine. And yes, large mines on small coal lodes, also got targeted rather quickly. Now I've finally got my legions up on lvls and should be able to compete in this game.
    Your mines were probably assaulted because they were YOUR mines, not because they were large mines on small crappy lodes. 
    That would have been perfectly fine, if mining was a part of the achaean game and I could take cause for attacks against my mine. But since Mining is a separate mini-game from the otherwise intricate and involving game of Achaea, it just pissed me off. Anonymous mines fit much better in with the no-pk for mining.
  • Medi said:
    It was new! Can I  have 2 million in compensation plz? Gold, credits, $$$. I'll take whatever.
    Lawsuit will you get this. Sue the mining legion.
  • Rangor said:
    Grandue said:
    Rangor said:
    That would have been perfectly fine, if mining was a part of the achaean game and I could take cause for attacks against my mine. But since Mining is a separate mini-game from the otherwise intricate and involving game of Achaea, it just pissed me off. Anonymous mines fit much better in with the no-pk for mining.
    There are other ways to take revenge in the mining mini-game. Just because you can't go smash their brains in because they took your mine doesn't mean that everyone should play anonymously. Mining is a long-game. We have to play it how it was intended.
  • Also @Makarios @Sarapis @Tecton can we PLEASE get this surveying bug fixed? I know several people have bugged it and it has been weeks. 

It only surveys up to 5 rooms away from the camp instead of 6. It basically makes surveying pointless if you have to still go to all of those rooms on the outskirts of the mining area to prospect them.

Also, making mining have an annual licensing fee of 250k-500k gold or something, there has to be a way to sink more gold out of the game. Perhaps a 5 year license for 1-2 million? If people were continually needing to drop a million gold at a time this would help the credit market go down a bit while at the same time cut down on the number of people searching for lodes which would result is less whining and crying.
  • Daeir said:
    Of course you'd say that, having a leg up in the market as is.

Let's not completely hamstring the system from new player involvement, yeah? It can be unfriendly and ferociously competitive, but gating it behind a license AND gold/comm setup costs is just pants-on-head silly.
    What? I would have to pay the same license fee anyone else would. What does that have to do with me "having a leg up" (whatever that means).

Right now every single person in the whole world has free, unlimited access to mining. Mining is absolutely a trade, whether officially listed as such or not, it involves creating an item with a small cost and skill and selling them. Look at all of the trades together.

Jewelry
    Weaponsmithing
    Armoursmithing
    Cooking
    Tailoring
    All of three concoctions skills
    Inkmilling
    Heraldry
    Augmentation
    Conjuration
    Gathering
    Shopkeeping
    Mining

If we don't start charging a licensing fee for mining then I suggest we make it a trade skill. How is that pants-on-head crazy? I would just be putting it in line with everything else. I understand your frustration with not wanting to have to pay for something. I too would like to have free access to everything I want, but that doesn't really solve some of the problems we have in the game. 

Also, just shame on you for saying that I'm only saying that because of some imagined advantage on my part that you don't have, as if I have something that is unavailable to you or everyone else for that matter. I wish that there was a start up cost at the very beginning, it wouldn't have changed anything for me any more than it would if it were introduced now. 

• Medi said:
    It was new! Can I  have 2 million in compensation plz? Gold, credits, $$$. I'll take whatever.
    Fire your miners, thief inside.
  • There is a 0% chance we'd gate mining with upfront costs that go beyond what it costs to buy legions and establish mines.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Grandue said:
    Daeir said:

Let's not completely hamstring the system from new player involvement, yeah? It can be unfriendly and ferociously competitive, but gating it behind a license AND gold/comm setup costs is just pants-on-head silly.
    What? I would have to pay the same license fee anyone else would. What does that have to do with me "having a leg up" (whatever that means).

Right now every single person in the whole world has free, unlimited access to mining. Mining is absolutely a trade, whether officially listed as such or not, it involves creating an item with a small cost and skill and selling them. Look at all of the trades together.

Jewelry
    Weaponsmithing
    Armoursmithing
    Cooking
    Tailoring
    Inkmilling
    Heraldry
    Augmentation
    Conjuration
    Gathering
    Shopkeeping
    Mining

If we don't start charging a licensing fee for mining then I suggest we make it a trade skill. How is that pants-on-head crazy? I would just be putting it in line with everything else. I understand your frustration with not wanting to have to pay for something. I too would like to have free access to everything I want, but that doesn't really solve some of the problems we have in the game. 

Also, just shame on you for saying that I'm only saying that because of some imagined advantage on my part that you don't have, as if I have something that is unavailable to you or everyone else for that matter. I wish that there was a start up cost at the very beginning, it wouldn't have changed anything for me any more than it would if it were introduced now. 

The BIG difference is that when it comes to the other tradeskills there's not nearly as much competition, and there's not as much risk in using them. There's competition when it comes to selling your product, but mining has that too. Mining has extra risk when it comes to putting in the costs to create and hold the mine. If you spend 30k in your Jewellery skill making a crown for someone, no other jeweller is going to come along with a thousand soldiers and take that crown. There's also no scarcity of crafting patterns or resources, as there are lodes. Well, I suppose the first is theoretically possible, but it's not happening on a daily basis to anyone trying to get their foot in the door.

So mining should not be a tradeskill. At all. Nonononono.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Ahmet said:
    Grandue said:
    Daeir said:

Jewelry
    Weaponsmithing
    Armoursmithing
    Cooking
    Tailoring
    Inkmilling
    Heraldry
    Augmentation
    Conjuration
    Gathering
    Shopkeeping
    Mining

The BIG difference is that when it comes to the other tradeskills there's not nearly as much competition, and there's not as much risk in using them. There's competition when it comes to selling your product, but mining has that too. Mining has extra risk when it comes to putting in the costs to create and hold the mine. If you spend 30k in your Jewellery skill making a crown for someone, no other jeweller is going to come along with a thousand soldiers and take that crown. There's also no scarcity of crafting patterns or resources, as there are lodes. Well, I suppose the first is theoretically possible, but it's not happening on a daily basis to anyone trying to get their foot in the door.

So mining should not be a tradeskill. At all. Nonononono.
    Perhaps you're right, it isn't so much like jewelry. Your argument makes sense for it to not be a trade skill that you spend lessons on since there are such a limited number of lodes. 

It is, however, a source of income with similarities to harvesting. There is a lot of competition with herbs and minerals. There is a more hard coded limit to the supply, however it does differ in other ways that making it a trade skill still wouldn't make sense, which is why I suggested an annual license. That way you still have skin in the game if you're going to try to turn a profit from mining. Sure, whatever, you've got a startup cost of 1,000gp per squad and then a commodity cost for each mine but hell that is nothing. Someone can sit on a legion for 20 years and just occasionally scout for a mine and maybe get lucky every once in a while with a large platinum mine or something. I would like to see some kind of continual cost to mining so that if you're going to mine, you have to be mining, not just occasionally looking once a week to see if you can cherry pick something that just popped that no one has found yet. Monthly wages for soldiers and miners or an annual license that people can purchase that would be priced high enough that if they are only going to have 1 mine a year they will be losing money but if they're actively grabbing loses and mining it doesn't kill their profits. 

But, Sarapis said no to increased startup costs to mining, so it doesn't look like the license route is an option. It is what it is, I know they have a better grasp on what is going on and what is best and if they think having no ongoing costs to mining is best for the economy in Achaea then they're probably right. 
  • Medi said:
    So if a new lode depletes at 202 commodities produced, is that a bug? Or just part of the mining gamble?
    I just had a brand new lode collapse with 430 commodities. 
  • On another note, any chance to make the rare minerals riftable? @Sarapis
  • edited August 2015
    Grandue said:
    There is a lot of competition with herbs and minerals. There is a more hard coded limit to the supply
    There really isn't much substantial competition.

For herbs, most anywhere you're going to harvest will be at Sparse, but you can still harvest a ridiculous amount by going room to room given that rooms don't run out anymore and there's no such thing as overharvesting.

For minerals, there's no scarcity mechanic at all.

The way mining is set up makes it very different from any of the tradeskills, economically speaking. Assuming you can turn a profit with any of the tradeskills (mostly depending on whether you can find a place to sell the stuff you make), they're essentially just a way to convert time into money. Mining is a way to convert time, luck, and decision-making into money. It doesn't need a license or anything because everything you do in the system removes gold from the game - even if you're making gold from mining, you're getting that gold from players, not from more gold being added to the world, and the money you spent setting up your mines and hiring your labourers and guards is still being removed from the world. Even if everyone involved in mining were turning a profit, it would still be a huge gold sink.