Mining and Legions

Comments

• Might give me a breather to get lvl 2 squads! :pleased: 

I like the idea of beginning miners buying a "starter pack" with somewhat higher lvl'd miners so they have a chance to compete.

I see what Xinna says about no names taking a lot of the game out of the game though. Now you'll have to figure out who has the mines by spotting them while they prospect. Maybe the stronghold owners can "know" who has mines in their area? Hold the strongholds and you know who has the mines and can do with that information what you please. Sell it, take protection monies to keep it, abuse it yourself.. Gives strongholds a more significant piece to play for as well.

• Strongholds already provide a tactical advantage for attackers.
  • Kez said:
    Strongholds already provide a tactical advantage for attackers.
    whaaat, how?
  • Put the names back on the signs. Not knowing which mine is owned by who takes a ton of strategy out of the game. Planning who to attack and when and factoring in your losses vs. gains is going to be a key factor in determining who will end up being in the top tier of miners. Without knowing who owns the mine all you have for strategy is making sure you're out there more often than others in order to get the next lode that opens up.

What is Mhaldor wants to target Eleusian mines for a year? What if your city doesn't allow you to attack other citizen's mines, you going to have to put up a project that everyone updates with where their mine is? What if you end up attacking a friend's mine who isn't online at the moment? Put em back on there.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Picking on new comers must take a lot of strategy, I am sure :pleased: 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Trust me, attacking newcomers isn't as painless as you think. Those who are attacking regularly are setting themselves up for disappointment. Your level 1 soldiers are doing damage even against higher level soldiers. It is designed so they cannot keep assaulting mines without weakening their own mines. Want some advice, throw large mines on small lodes and fill them with soldiers. You'll lose money for a while but you'll level up your miners and soldiers. Only a fool would assault a large mine on a small coal (there are some that will still do it, this IS Achaea after all)

OR we could just adopt this strategy into other areas of the game. Newcomers to combat are getting targeted first because they die easily, so mask everyone's name during a raid and replace it with "Raider 1-20" that way the newcomers have a chance to not get targeted. 
  • It is painless, because since you need mines to train your men, those losing their mines are set back much more than those who -did- attack, and simply put more level 1s to train.

I am not surprised of the opinions I hear here, however. Like PK, those advantaged by the status quo are seldom willing to let go of their positive loops.

• Xinna said:

Mining isn't -supposed- to be the same as PK. There's no limit on how many people can participate in PK. Mining has to have a limit. Any time anyone gets a mine, other people don't get that mine. You just have to wait until you find one. Literally everyone goes through this, and the people who spend more time looking get more mines.

Attacking has a -huge- risk and cost to it already. As someone who has attacked a lot, and talked to others who have attacked a lot, we've all had our armies wiped multiple times. It happens. Then you have to start over just like everyone else.

The only potential problem is the protection RANKINGS MINING affords those who have higher points, as mentioned. If you have below a certain number of points, people know for certain that you don't have high level guys and won't resist. Once you have a certain number of points, everyone has no idea how strong your guys are because we don't know how long you've had them.

The risk inherent in attacking mines of anyone who has above a certain number of points is seemingly being ignored by most of the people complaining, though. My legion can very easily be wiped trying to take a single mine, because I don't know what level troops are in it. And attacking mines of others isn't "being a jerk." It's playing the game.

I like mining. I don't currently have any mines because I haven't yet found one, but I'm sure I will again soon enough. I just think people are expecting too much in terms of "Must have a mine right when my other mine collapses and without taking one from someone else." That's just not possible with the limited number of mines, but Achaea still has -everything- else it had before mining existed. Occupy yourself with something else in the meanwhile.

Yes, attacking has a huge risk. Yes, you could very well wipe your entire set of armed squads in your legion. However, you still have the advantage of higher level miners. Higher level miners produce commodities faster. Each commodity produced gains experience. So you're able to level up new soldiers faster than someone just starting out can. The risk of being wiped isn't nearly so bad when you consider that you could get soldiers from level 1 to level 3 in a RL day (plus or minus, depending on miner levels and specs).

I'll also note that I don't think you, Proficy, Entaro, Medi, or any of a number of other individuals who have attacked Inuad's or people Inuad knows mines, are "being a jerk". It is part of the game, and part of how this system is set up.

I kinda disagree with the idea of just "occupying yourself with something else". Some people have limited times to play the game. I know that you can't just get mine after mine after mine, but when people can't get mines for RL days, or some people can't even break into the mining game, because of infrequent and disproportionate lode spawns, it doesn't seem fair to just say "look again later".  Maybe it's meant to be that way, though. Maybe the people who can spend extra time when they are in game prospecting are the ones who should get the mines. But that seems to punish people who enjoy playing Achaea, want to mine, but have limited time to do things in game.

I still don't understand why scaling spawns to have a higher frequency of more small/medium lodes, versus lower frequency of large/massive lodes, hasn't really been addressed. Or, perhaps @Sarapis could explain why the mini-lode idea was scrapped (as it seemed like a good way to give people starting out an opportunity to actually get squad experience and give them a bit more of an advantage going into things).

• Sarapis said:
    I think some of you might be surprised at how weak the soldier squads of high-ranking miners are btw. Was just looking through them.
    I kinda addressed this in my reply to @Xinna: higher ranked miners can somewhat afford to wipe their squads (especially if they currently have a mine), because their miners are high enough level to allow level 1 soldier squads to quickly gain experience/level.
  • Not having the signs on the mine is ridiculous. Having no idea whether you'll be going up against that player you know to be super defensive who typically fills their lodes with 70% soldiers at level 20 or going against a reckless miner who uses the maximum number of miners and has recently attacked your friend's mines so you know they have a weak army at the moment from repetitive assaults on other's miners... how is that a fix? Oh, you've noticed that so-and-so has been attacking other miners and currently has two massive lodes going right now and could possibly have control over a stronghold... prime target for an assault because they are spread thin...but you also notice that Xer hasn't mined anything in a week and could possibly have his whole army camped inside a stronghold, oh well, I'm going to risk my entire level 15 army and hope it isn't the latter... I don't think so.

If you're going to make the mines anonymous then make the attacks anonymous, make the level of soldiers that attacked you anonymous. I'm sure there is a way to help people get into it not be attacked, but let's be realistic here... there are a VERY limited number of lodes which means there are going to be a very limited number of people who have lodes and the easier it is for people to get into the industry the more fighting that is going to happen and the more frustrated people are going to get. This probably would have been better as a trade skill, which would limited the number of people who got into it. I went four RL days without a mine and I'm ranked like 5th or something, the more people that jump in the more it sucks and believe me the people who are doing all of the attacking will find which lode is yours, trust me. They would have to remove the rankings entirely in order to hide who currently has a lode, it will just be a process of elimination from that point.

• edited August 2015
    Inuad said:

Sarapis said:
    I think some of you might be surprised at how weak the soldier squads of high-ranking miners are btw. Was just looking through them.
    I kinda addressed this in my reply to @Xinna: higher ranked miners can somewhat afford to wipe their squads (especially if they currently have a mine), because their miners are high enough level to allow level 1 soldier squads to quickly gain experience/level.

The difference between level 20 miners who also have a level 20 specialization in a mineral is only 30% vs. a level 1 miner with no specializations. And of course, nobody is even close to having squads anywhere near that good, so the actual advantage in terms of leveling up squads is probably at most like 10% between the top miners and new miners right now (unless there's some bug I'm not seeing). It is not an overwhelming advantage in terms of leveling your squads, at all. 
  • Siduri said:
    those advantaged by the status quo are seldom willing to let go of their positive loops.
    Welcome to running a business in a competitive marketplace!
  • Sarapis said:
    Siduri said:
    those advantaged by the status quo are seldom willing to let go of their positive loops.
    Welcome to running a business in a competitive marketplace!
    I understand the reasoning. But it's also: 'Welcome to not playing the game'.

• There's a whole world out there. Plenty of other things to do!
  • edited August 2015
    Inuad said:
     I know that you can't just get mine after mine after mine, but when people can't get mines for RL days, or some people can't even break into the mining game, because of infrequent and disproportionate lode spawns, it doesn't seem fair to just say "look again later".  Maybe it's meant to be that way, though. Maybe the people who can spend extra time when they are in game prospecting are the ones who should get the mines. But that seems to punish people who enjoy playing Achaea, want to mine, but have limited time to do things in game.

Yes, in a sense it does 'punish' them. In another sense though, it's just life: Work harder and smarter, reap more rewards. I have no problem with that given that mining is designed to be a simulation of some abstracted version of running a business though. It's not like any other system in any of the other IRE games in that sense.
  • @Sarapis: Would be curious of your thoughts if you tried to go through the mining system yourself!
  • Sarapis said:
    ... (unless there's some bug I'm not seeing)
    This. 

There absolutely IS a bug when it comes to mining bonus ticks, I bugged it days ago and it has yet to be assigned but it is an unbelievably crazy bug and needs to be fixed because people are blowing through massive lodes in a rl day with it. A couple of us have been tracking it for a while now so if you need more info on it than what was included in the bug report, just let me know.
  • Sarapis said:
    Inuad said:
     I know that you can't just get mine after mine after mine, but when people can't get mines for RL days, or some people can't even break into the mining game, because of infrequent and disproportionate lode spawns, it doesn't seem fair to just say "look again later".  Maybe it's meant to be that way, though. Maybe the people who can spend extra time when they are in game prospecting are the ones who should get the mines. But that seems to punish people who enjoy playing Achaea, want to mine, but have limited time to do things in game.

Yes, in a sense it does 'punish' them. In another sense though, it's just life: Work harder and smarter, reap more rewards. I have no problem with that given that mining is designed to be a simulation of some abstracted version of running a business though. It's not like any other system in any of the other IRE games in that sense.
    Eh, you're not really working harder or smarter if you're spending more time searching for lodes. You're just...spending more time. Especially since SURVEY REGION is bugged (which means you basically have to go through -every- room to prospect).

It seems to boil down to: I have 2 hours to play in Achaea. I could: RP, do city/house/order stuff, things that involve interaction with other characters. Or, I could spend that time looking for lodes (something that is basically a solo exercise). Not only that, but because spawns are at an unknown/random interval, the best way to ensure I get a new lode is to constantly be checking for spawns. I get that you're trying to create an "abstracted version of running a business", and what I am describing is a type of thing that would happen running a business, but this is a game, and there isn't some mechanism in place to remove the frustration of essentially wasting 20, 30, or 60 minutes (or more, depending on how badly you want a mine) running around looking for a new lode.
  • @Inuad  It sounds like you figured out how much time you want to invest in it. I can get Greys to do a sweep prospecting all the minable rooms in about 10 minutes or so (all manual, is a dragon). I generally do this once a month when people are not around. If you are shocked that those highest ranked in something are those obsessively investing real time into it ... welcome to Achaea? To Greys, it was always a business thing so its weighed against what he can get doing other things (reagents are so much easier to get now that people are spending time prospecting). Personally, I find its a lot easier to manipulate things at the delos commshop end instead.
  • Greys said:
    Personally, I find its a lot easier to manipulate things at the delos commshop end instead.
    The shadowy stockbroker of trading commodities: Admiral Greys Vorondil, Wolf of Wall Street Dragon of Delos?
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Inuad said:
    Sarapis said:
    Inuad said:

Eh, you're not really working harder or smarter if you're spending more time searching for lodes. You're just...spending more time. Especially since SURVEY REGION is bugged (which means you basically have to go through -every- room to prospect).

It seems to boil down to: I have 2 hours to play in Achaea. I could: RP, do city/house/order stuff, things that involve interaction with other characters. Or, I could spend that time looking for lodes (something that is basically a solo exercise). Not only that, but because spawns are at an unknown/random interval, the best way to ensure I get a new lode is to constantly be checking for spawns. I get that you're trying to create an "abstracted version of running a business", and what I am describing is a type of thing that would happen running a business, but this is a game, and there isn't some mechanism in place to remove the frustration of essentially wasting 20, 30, or 60 minutes (or more, depending on how badly you want a mine) running around looking for a new lode.

How is spending more time not "working harder"? I mean, if you spend more time bashing or questing, you get more gold. Generally, gold generating activities take time. Why should mining be different? I actually prefer mining because you don't -have- to spend time - you can get lucky and generate gold with very little time or effort. But since not everyone can have a lode, it makes sense for people who spend more time to have an advantage, sans luck. I don't know what else you would use to determine who gets the lodes and who doesn't.
  • Greys said:
     Personally, I find its a lot easier to manipulate things at the delos commshop end instead.
    As a player, I suspect I'd spend a lot of time and energy manipulating the comm market for fun and profit.
  • Grandue said:
    Sarapis said:
    ... (unless there's some bug I'm not seeing)
    This. 

There absolutely IS a bug when it comes to mining bonus ticks, I bugged it days ago and it has yet to be assigned but it is an unbelievably crazy bug and needs to be fixed because people are blowing through massive lodes in a rl day with it. A couple of us have been tracking it for a while now so if you need more info on it than what was included in the bug report, just let me know.
    We're checking into it now, thanks. 
  • That was a nasty bug alright. Should be fixed.
  • @Sarapis I can think of a couple horkval that the same could be said for.
  • edited August 2015
    Xinna said:

Inuad said:
    Sarapis said:
    Inuad said:

How is spending more time not "working harder"? I mean, if you spend more time bashing or questing, you get more gold. Generally, gold generating activities take time. Why should mining be different? I actually prefer mining because you don't -have- to spend time - you can get lucky and generate gold with very little time or effort. But since not everyone can have a lode, it makes sense for people who spend more time to have an advantage, sans luck. I don't know what else you would use to determine who gets the lodes and who doesn't.

I think the main difference is with things like bashing or questing (or fishing, or so forth) is that bashing or questing will always yield something. You're going to get essence, experience, or gold spending time doing that. You aren't necessarily going to get the same from prospecting, unless you get lucky.

You are right, however. There are not a lot of other ways to determine who is able to get lodes, other than who spends time to do it. And it seems, as @Greys mentioned, that people like me who don't have a lot of time to spend on Achaea to begin with, aren't really going to be able to be fully or even partially vested in the mining system unless we want to relinquish that time for the chance that we get something. The main reason I was commenting, though, was to counter @Sarapis suggesting that success in getting lodes requires hard work and/or playing smarter.
  • If you don't have time to find lodes yourself, then you can work together with someone else. Pay someone to occasionally check for lodes and build a mine if they find one (with you providing or repaying the costs), then have them give it to you next time you're around. Or have friends do it for free, or form an ongoing partnership with someone else who also has trouble doing it alone.
  • Inuad said:

I think the main difference is with things like bashing or questing (or fishing, or so forth) is that bashing or questing will always yield something. You're going to get essence, experience, or gold spending time doing that. You aren't necessarily going to get the same from prospecting, unless you get lucky.

was to counter @Sarapis suggesting that success in getting lodes requires hard work and/or playing smarter.
    As in life, much of what appears to be luck is simply someone working hard such that when the opportunity arises, it can be taken advantage of.

Someone who devotes themselves to finding lodes is going to get "lucky" a lot more often than someone who casually looks. Of course, it's not luck over the long-term, it's predictable - work harder, do better. The working smart comes in how you decide to allocate your resources to mining lodes, when to allocate them to attacking (and when and on what lodes/mines), and when to take a stronghold.  
  • Sarapis said:
    Inuad said:

was to counter @Sarapis suggesting that success in getting lodes requires hard work and/or playing smarter.
    As in life, much of what appears to be luck is simply someone working hard such that when the opportunity arises, it can be taken advantage of.

Someone who devotes themselves to finding lodes is going to get "lucky" a lot more often than someone who casually looks. Of course, it's not luck over the long-term, it's predictable - work harder, do better. The working smart comes in how you decide to allocate your resources to mining lodes, when to allocate them to attacking (and when and on what lodes/mines), and when to take a stronghold.  
    tl;dr Sleep is for the weak!
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Sarapis said:
    That was a nasty bug alright. Should be fixed.
    I just had a massive lode with a large mine constructed on it and it collapsed, depleted of resources in less than 24 hours. It was more like 19 hours with level 5/6 miners. I spoke with someone about it, though, and the lode size seemed to correspond with the amount of commodities that it produced. This means it is normal, yeah?
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"