Why being a druid is awesome.

Comments

• CynderCynder Where the Red Pandas roam.
    Abelia was out and about wrecking a few people with Druid and losing to a few others. Was nice to see someone not scared to fight as Druid, and I know that Rom is super antsy to go Druid so I am sure there will be an influx of the class soon enough!

I think with the right artefacts and with the skill reflexes(?), the class is just begging for loldamage+ insta-gib incinerate. Freeze pound seems to be a one-trick pony because most people will realize what to do after they die, or you run into the people that see it coming from a mile away and do proper curing to get out of it.

I personally do not know the class at all very well, so I am sure there are other great tricks you can accomplish. I'm just looking at how amazing reflexes is in the fact it reduces all balance, not just maul balance.

Again I could be totally wrong, but it looks like a pretty sweet class.

(Can also add in the fact that Yae's pro-hydra strats seems to enrage everyone) 
  • edited January 2015
    Cynder said:
    I think with the right artefacts and with the skill reflexes(?), the class is just begging for loldamage+ insta-gib incinerate. Freeze pound seems to be a one-trick pony because most people will realize what to do after they die, or you run into the people that see it coming from a mile away and do proper curing to get out of it.
    As soon as somebody sees you go Icewyrm they can probably guess what you're attempting.

Loldamage is something I'm puzzling over myself (theory only, since on a ping of about .8s right now I'm never going to be quick enough to pull it off), but when I was testing my maul damage I was doing several hundreds of damage with each hit (granted, the target wasn't deffed up at the time). That was with level 2 gauntlets (no other damage-enhancers) and could do more with an extra +1 for the level 3 gauntlets plus level 3 knuckles (and Gem-switching to STR-spec Troll or something). If you have to go that far, it'll be out of range of all but, as you said, the artied ones. Heavily artied ones, even.

Bees would add more on top of that.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• The last Druid I fought tried the artied maul into incinerate route. My reaction was pretty much "Seriously? You're going to try to loldamage a Paladin with every tanking artefact credits can buy?" Then I doubleslashed him to death because I also had ridiculous damage at the time.

It certainly works on a lot of people, but it has a cap that's dictated by the tanking ability of your opponent rather than your skill, and you'll be impotent the moment you run into somebody above that. Basically, regardless of what damage potential you might have for making people explode, you can't afford to be a one trick pony.

I think Athelas' point, albeit badly put, is quite simple: Stop using abbreviations and shorthand. It's not necessary. The few extra keystrokes won't kill you and it makes what you're writing more accessible for everybody.
  • AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa
    Antonius said:
    I think Athelas' point, albeit badly put, is quite simple: Stop using abbreviations and shorthand. It's not necessary. The few extra keystrokes won't kill you and it makes what you're writing more accessible for everybody.
    Thank you Antonius. That's exactly what I'm driving at.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Antonius said:

QFT ;)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Antonius said:
    The last Druid I fought tried the artied maul into incinerate route. My reaction was pretty much "Seriously? You're going to try to loldamage a Paladin with every tanking artefact credits can buy?" Then I doubleslashed him to death because I also had ridiculous damage at the time.

It certainly works on a lot of people, but it has a cap that's dictated by the tanking ability of your opponent rather than your skill, and you'll be impotent the moment you run into somebody above that. Basically, regardless of what damage potential you might have for making people explode, you can't afford to be a one trick pony.

Coming at this from a brand new player, I suffer a lot of the same problems Athelas does. I think a lot of this is because Achaea has an extremely steep learning curve. In a lot of games, going from good combatant to great is hard. In some, getting from mediocre to good is hard. In Achaea, it takes a ton of research and skill to even be a bad combatant. 

It's not because the elite combatants are all jerks, far from it. I ended up caught in a raid the other night, the Mhaldorians involved went out of their way to avoid killing me. That being said, they spent about 30 seconds telling me to get out and I had absolutely no idea how to until one of them whispered "TOUCH NEW THERA" I still don't know how that got me out. 

In any game, there's a basic level of stuff you need to know before people can explain combat at all. Your explanation of Druid vs. Paladin doesn't really help me, because I don't know what maul, incinerate, or doubleslash are. I don't know what skills Paladins have that make them tanky or how tanking artefacts affect things. On my own class, I know my combat focuses around Viridian and Heartseed, I've picked that much up from the forums: I don't know how those even work. In most games, I could learn all that from tooltips or a wiki or something. In Achaea, not only is there a lot more to learn (I've played some fairly complex MMOs. Achaea's combat complexity makes them look like preschool), it's much harder to learn. AB doesn't work for skills I don't have and doesn't explain skills all that well, the wiki at best just has the content of AB files, if that. 

Basically, people not using shorthand will help a bit, but not much. And rather than making people type stuff out, some resource for explaining all the basic stuff would be far more helpful. 
  • No arguments that the wiki and/or AB files could be more in depth than they currently are. There's been a lot of talk about that in the last year or so but it hasn't been backed up by anybody really doing anything to fix it by editing and adding to the wiki.

However, not using abbreviations and such would make it easier to look things up if we did have such a resource, or would at least remove the need for a glossary of commonly used ones.

There's also a few cases where people use slightly different - and conflicting - terminology to refer to the same thing. Limb damage is the most notable example.
  • I doubt abbreviations and shorthand will ever go away. That's something that happens pretty much everywhere (in English at least), and especially in nearly every MMO community. And some of them are encouraged by the game itself, like DSL, RSL, dstab, most of tekura.
  • Antonius said:
    No arguments that the wiki and/or AB files could be more in depth than they currently are. There's been a lot of talk about that in the last year or so but it hasn't been backed up by anybody really doing anything to fix it by editing and adding to the wiki.

However, not using abbreviations and such would make it easier to look things up if we did have such a resource, or would at least remove the need for a glossary of commonly used ones.

There's also a few cases where people use slightly different - and conflicting - terminology to refer to the same thing. Limb damage is the most notable example.
    this is like asking people to write out therefore instead of ∴

It's like when people say PROC for programmed random occurance, but also as a slang term just meaning "chance to hit." It's like if we say limb prep instead of "preparing a limb one hit from break."

Now do people misuse words as well? Sure, your limb damage thing is when most people call a shrivel a break, a break a lvl 1 break, and a mangle a lvl 2 break, or perhaps just say break again. People still get vlock, truelock, softlock, slowlock mixed up sometimes. That is a no no.

There is a certain line between fully fleshing out the language for art's sake, or drawing a diagram for simplicity's sake. Explaining combat lies somewhere in between. When I am talking to a person I am not going to say:
    Use Hydra legclamp target left immediately after using swing staff because using hydra legclamp target left mided with hydra flame and hydra snap is a more inefficient way to go about your business.
    swing/clamp>flame/snap/clamp.
    if you are a trans druid and do not know what this means, you are seriously lacking in your own fundamental level of understanding and -I CAN NO LONGER HELP YOU-. This is stuff you should have eagerly explored and learned for yourself already.
    Now, there are plenty of other things like dstab, dsb, dsl, bbt, etc etc. These have become the abbreviations that they are because well... we can use them. They are not really abbreviations of anything as much as they are usable commands. In the same way I'd use a comma or a plus sign. These abbreviations are plenty important to learn and if you're a young adorable newbie trying to soak up information... if your mentor says "Be careful for a knights dsl." You better pipe up and ask "what's dsl." I promise it will take him two seconds to answer the question.

As far as the 2h thing, well if you never read a players handbook of DnD or any whitewolf, or instruction manual to redguard/morrowind, well I can see where the hangup might be. Most games these days will actually spell out Two-Handed.
    But perhaps I should go out and also say that I believe @Athelas might just be a stranger to sarcasm. I don't sit here and share all my secrets or little tactics oocly because I am proud to have created what I did.. in game, on my own, completely. That means it was -my- fighting style, no matter how similar it might have been to someone elses. The only person I would ever teach completely would be a protege of mine. So I went out and gave you one of the first viable freezepound kills I thought of and bam. You were rude. No more help from me, Mister.

tl;dr
    just ranting. Nothing to see here.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Antonius said:
    No arguments that the wiki and/or AB files could be more in depth than they currently are. There's been a lot of talk about that in the last year or so but it hasn't been backed up by anybody really doing anything to fix it by editing and adding to the wiki.

Re: limb breaks, I've always used shriveled, broken and mangled to describe mending, restoration and double-restoration breaks respectively.

Athelas said:
    @Aepas
    I'm really sorry if I miss-understood your post and it's intentions. Of all the people that have responded to this post, you have provided the most usable information, even if I perceived it in a back handed way. Thank you for that.

Athelas said:
    @Addama Thank you Addama, that does clear things up, you are right then, it is a joke and everything I've responded to that post is from the completely wrong perspective.

Sorry @Aepas I honestly didn't know.
    @Aepas Yes, there was a miss-understanding on my part. I have apologised already.
  • @Athelas‌

CLAN SWITCH TEF
    CLHELP DRUID
    @Rangor You know, by the time I get pissy on the forums, it's because I've exhausted the IG resources at my disposal, and I honestly don't know where else to turn. But it's ok, go ahead, have your fun. hahaha. Does it make you feel any better? I suppose you'll get about 20 lol's for that one, and perhaps a forum badge. Enjoy.
  • I'm starting to feel like you don't actually want help
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Athelas said:
    @Rangor You know, by the time I get pissy on the forums, it's because I've exhausted the IG resources at my disposal, and I honestly don't know where else to turn. But it's ok, go ahead, have your fun. hahaha. Does it make you feel any better? I suppose you'll get about 20 lol's for that one, and perhaps a forum badge. Enjoy.
    Take a step back, breathe. Seriously, ranting at people who offer help isn't going to get other people to want to help you

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
    @jovolo & @klendathy You might not know that CLHLEP DRUID in the TEF clan contains nothing more than the exact information available in both AB GROVES and AB METAMORPHOSIS, I've spent hours reading and considering that one scroll. @Rangor is blatantly taking the piss there.

Sorry, I'm beyond caring at this point. Sarcasm has never been an educational tool of any value and it seems that is all I'll ever get here. So I'll just take the jokes and the stabs for what they are and hope that my attempts at learning the basics with an alt will bare fruit.
  • edited January 2015
    I still don't really know what you were asking at this point, to be honest

I just read back through the thread and you were already given a bunch of advice, was there something specific you wanted addressed...?
  • Athelas said:
    @jovolo & @klendathy You might not know that CLHLEP DRUID in the TEF clan contains nothing more than the exact information available in both AB GROVES and AB METAMORPHOSIS, I've spent hours reading and considering that one scroll. @Rangor is blatantly taking the piss there.

Sorry, I'm beyond caring at this point. Sarcasm has never been an educational tool of any value and it seems that is all I'll ever get here. So I'll just take the jokes and the stabs for what they are and hope that my attempts at learning the basics with an alt will bare fruit.

?????????

@trey I rest my case.
  • Trey said:
    Athelas said:

?????????
    I really, really, really like this picture.

• Athelas said:
    @trey I rest my case.
    Jovolo said:

I just read back through the thread and you were already given a bunch of advice, was there something specific you wanted addressed...?
    ?
  • Athelas said:
    oh, I'm sorry. I thought the eleusis/sentinel combat teaching clan would be helpful for you. Sorry, won't suggest you join and read the files within it in the future.
  • Jovolo said:

The original complaint was "Druid is awful at combat and now that I don't have Harvesting all to myself it's also bad for RP!"

And yeah, I don't exactly know what it is he's attempting to accomplish in this thread by re-quoting his apology whenever he says something dickish again.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Ah, so to complain rather than seek to improve. Ok
  • Have you fought about 1000 times yet? The Nim-approved bash-your-head-into-the-wall-until-it-breaks method is quite wondrous. Learn to embrace the frustration of dying to the same thing 20 times because you're too dumb to read logs. S'how I did it.
  • AmanuAmanu Forge Tree
    Druid isn't that bad. I had Amanu as one til he was 250 and I actually consider going back. It's one of the better group combat classes if you can get two or three together as hydra or other morphs and know what they're doing. Alone, yeah, you'll need to get a few artefacts against any good fighter since any good fighter tends to have a few artefacts already. The other down side is the limit on groves being forest based but any class has a similar restriction in some form and if you know what you're doing, make aliases, and practice, being Druid isn't hard and very self-sufficent. 

Thank you @Sidd, dear lord THANK YOU!!!!!
  • I think you guys are getting trolled.

i'm a rebel