Why being a druid is awesome.

Comments

• AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa
    What I don't get, is why I've not been able to find the information that Sidd provided in such an incredibly structured, well presented, clearly defined manner, anywhere IG.

I mean... seriously, with one post, @Sidd bypassed all the sarcasm, all the negativity, and all the frustration. And presented a clear, concise messages leaving me in a position where I can actually put the druid class skills in context.

Take note people, this is how you sincerely help someone!

@Tesha If I was trolling, I wouldn't do it under a character name I intend to play for years.
  • Yep, 100% troll.

I'll be in my office.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Athelas said:

Take note people, this is how you sincerely help someone!

Seriously?  You are being spoon fed here and you have the gall to complain about it?  I had a Sentinel alt once, and Rangor helped me more than anyone.  Just bring around the guy will make you a bad ass. I seriously doubt insulting one of the best combat educators in your chosen faction is going to help you.  Why don't,  instead of whining, you go check out a few library books from your house.  Why don't you ask to borrow the Sentinel's library books.  Honestly,  I have learned more from combat books than anything.  Unlike help scrolls,  there is a ton more information, and people actually take the time to go into a lot more.  Hell,  if that doesn't work,  kiss ass to any house and borrow a book.  The warlocks have a massively library that details a lot of class strategies.  Is it going to be copy pasting? No.  It is going to take work, but I seriously doubt you are going to get very much more help from this thread, since you have already pissed off a lot of the forum fighters who care to share information. 

Good luck ever landing a successful gfhl if you chose to shoot down the few people who can land one successfully <\trolling>
  • edited January 2015
    Athelas said:
    @Rangor You know, by the time I get pissy on the forums, it's because I've exhausted the IG resources at my disposal, and I honestly don't know where else to turn. But it's ok, go ahead, have your fun. hahaha. Does it make you feel any better? I suppose you'll get about 20 lol's for that one, and perhaps a forum badge. Enjoy.
    You come across like an arrogant, ungrateful shit. Not just from this post. From every single one of your posts in this thread.

Ask for someone to help you in game (ie - me, rangor, rom, samanthya, alrena, exelethril, iakimen, ellodin etc) adn they would gladly help you and explain things and answer questions and break it down.

Now to step away from me being a dick and offering you a bit of advice.

Spar 100 times, then spar 100 times more. Read every AB file and find out what each thing does on someone (have to get someone to help you for this) find out how they pair together, find out what your tactics are for instance can you lock people (ie stop them curing) long enough to kill them, do you have an insta kill (two of those - three with behead), can you do anything with afflictions or is it best to go for limb damage on opponents - can you prone them, how do your bees help you etc.

At this point, wheny ou find out what each skill does and try to pair it with every other ability, you start to write down a tactic or a plan. You don't go into a fight blindly hitting and hoping, you say "I will try this first, then this, then this".

Write down three tactics, work out how to do them on paper, make aliases or key bindings to speed up the process, then practice the preperation for it if it is limb breaks, get use to how many hits you need to do on a limb to break it, once you have done this, practice JUST the prep repeatedly. When you can prep (preperation - what you need to do to reach the point your plan comes into affect) with your eyes closed, then go for the end bit, when you can do both together - see if it works - if it doesn't work, check to see if there is anything else you can add, or find out why it didn't work (damage not enough? Maybe the persons health is too high or they have artefacts or a form of prone healing - if they do, make a note of the class or the abilities, or the artefacts or the health, and then decide that against people fitting that criteria you wont use that tactic), after that, do your second tactic, then your third.

Once you have done all three, figure out what steps between them are similar, for instance a freeze pound requires both legs to be broken and them to be prone, so does a damage tactic, use that knowledge to know how to switch between the two, practice that repeatedly.

If you need to know what dsl, rng, proc, prep, vivi, dstab and a tonne of other short hand things mean, make al ist of the ones you hear.
    I for one have hundreds (literally) of notepad files and notepad++ and logs saved from fighting different classes that I use to look over and study, as well as copy/pasting the affliction cures/affliction lines and stuff down to read them to find out how they work, then would get afflicted with each thing and practice what it stops or does.

Do this, and you will get better at combat.

Come across as an arrogant arse on the forums, you wont get better but you will get a reputation - at the moment, I don't particularly like the way you've presented yourself - you redeemed yourself a TINY bit with some of your posts, then half a page later were back to the same attitude.

Practice, practice practice and write things down and use notepad.

Jovolo use to sit there with me and do things like:

0 seconds - doublestab curare/kalmia - person eats bloodroot - affs asthma
    1.6 seconds - person eats kelp - no affs
    2 seconds - doublestab curare/kalmia - affs curare + kalmia (2)
    3 seconds - person eats bloodroot - affs - asthma (1)
    4 seconds - doublestab curare + gecko
    etc

That way you get a feel for timings, how long yo uhave between stuff and such.

It's not easy, but it will work if you put in not just effort, but also a smart plan to guide that effort.

--- EDIT ---

If there are things you don't understand in this post (ie - what a lock is or how it works and such) please genuinely feel free to ask me either here, in pm, in game or whatever. I'm genuinely willing to help however I can, because I want people to enjoy combat and not feel overwhelmed. Am I the best combatant? No, but I'll try and help as best I can, and I know most classes #classchanger4lyfe
  • Sidd said:
    The extreme basics of combat, by a 1 month old noob:
    This is what someone who's been playing for a month, not even in a get-out-and-duel-people-constantly style, has learned.  You can't seriously claim "I've exhausted the IG resources at my disposal" and find this helpful, and I'm not saying that because it wasn't a decent summary.
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • I'm always asking on the Targossian Academy channel if anybody needs anything or has any questions, but really, if you're a Targossian who doesn't know how to fight stuff good and wants to do other stuff good too, talk to me in-game and I'd happily set aside time to teach you things.

I think this exists in Eleusis too, I'm just trying to prevent any Targossians from going buck-wild and making a thread like this.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • Addama said:
    if you're a Targossian who doesn't know how to fight stuff good and wants to do other stuff good too, talk to me in-game and I'd happily set aside time to teach you things.
    Just don't ask him for English lessons. :D
  • Antonius said:
    Addama said:
    if you're a Targossian who doesn't know how to fight stuff good and wants to do other stuff good too, talk to me in-game and I'd happily set aside time to teach you things.
    Just don't ask him for English lessons. :D
    I think it was a Zoolander reference...
  • your mums a zoolander reference
  • Wait, hold on. Does Eleusis, specifically the Druid house, really not have an available resource like the one Sidd posted above? This character was only ever in one house, and that house had exactly what Sidd had above, basically. The "these are the basics" file. If not, then that is not a failing of Achaea, but rather those who run the houses within it - that is, the players.

That being said, take note as the Renaissance comes, new house leaders. Write that down. Make it into your own words, and make it incredibly available to your novices, and we will retain them more often. I am not defending Aethelas; quite the opposite, I have found his attitude repulsive and it made me reconsider even logging in today, but that could also be because of my current state of illness. 

tl;dr: people are going to be assholes, make the most basic information available even if you don't think you're a combat house or you think it's common sense, and I love you all. Jerks.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    There are resources. You can find them in Achaea. 
  • I'm glad Sidd spent all that time to write down what he did. Very nice of him.

Here's the thing though. If you want to learn combat, you should be fighting. Not sitting around reading. Will reading help you grasp a concept? Sure, why not.
    You know what else helps?

Going into the arena, and dying in five seconds.
    Especially if that's an instant kill.

Then you come out and say "Woah, what the heck was that"
    Your opponent, assuming he is a person that can give the time of day will say "oh that was disembowel/vivisect/freezepound/catharsis/damnation."

Then your conversation can progress, like this:
    "Woah, what's that"
    "It's my instakill."
    "Instakill? well that seems overpowered."
    "Well not really, because you have to understand what you are doing, first you blah blah blah."

Congratulations. You have just learned something about a skillset from another class, and how it works!
    Now write it all down in your journal, and copy it in pastebin or whatever you use.
    Be sure to look at everything your opponent did, and what lead up to your death!

Congratulations again! You have just taken the first step into achaean combat and didn't have to read a single scroll.

Now that you died gloriously in battle, you can actually look at your own skills!

Here is the flowchart of learning the basics in achaea.

Learn what every ability you know does.
    -------Learn every herb/salve/pipe and what they cure
    -------------Learn every affliction and what it does.
    -------------------Learn what every other ability in the game does
    ------------------------Learn the layout of every fighting ground you might visit
    ------------------------------Learn to traverse all of sapience without MAP

Congratulations, you've learned the 'basics' of achaea.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Hmm, now that you just do CURING ON, people miss out on learning the basics as thoroughly as us older players did. I mean scripting your own system in zmud kinda gives you very detailed knowledge of EVERYTHING.
  • Aepas said:
    I'd say the same with skills. I remember being so giddy when I'd unlock a new skill that I'd go try it out over and over.

Now it seems like everyone is instantly tri-trans. I guess this comes from it being much easier to pay for things online these days. I remember back when money order was still a thing, so that alone made it much more difficult to get credits.
    It's kind out of necessity and limitations. The impression that I've got is that it's sort of impossible to begin to fight without one of every cure and being level 70 or so. At level 56, when Actar is the best source of money I know, going to fight someone is an intensely unappealing option. 

It's also a good thing for me to get tons of lessons into Elementalism so I can level more quickly. That means I'm 57 lessons away from transing it, and I've used like 6 skills from the whole set. I'm not sure that's any specific design fault or anything, but it does make it harder. 

I wish AB covered other classes, though. That's a design decision that doesn't quite make sense to me, and just makes the game harder to learn. 
  • I just have a character that sits in Certimene's building and changes+embraces classes to AB all their moves. It's not ideal but it works!
    Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
  • Astel said:
    Aepas said:
    I'd say the same with skills. I remember being so giddy when I'd unlock a new skill that I'd go try it out over and over.

Now it seems like everyone is instantly tri-trans. I guess this comes from it being much easier to pay for things online these days. I remember back when money order was still a thing, so that alone made it much more difficult to get credits.
    It's kind out of necessity and limitations. The impression that I've got is that it's sort of impossible to begin to fight without one of every cure and being level 70 or so. At level 56, when Actar is the best source of money I know, going to fight someone is an intensely unappealing option.
    Having every cure is cheap, might run you 10k for five health/mana vials, two vials of everything else and 100 of every mineral/herb.  It's something you should focus on and definitely has more utility than buying two credits on CFS.

Level 70 isn't really hard to reach, but yeah, you need a certain amount of hitpoints before you can realistically engage damage classes.  I'd also strongly recommend that if you're specced toward strength/int you respec to Con as a primary stat.  16 str/15 con Troll was enough to get me into the PVP game, but switching over to 15 str/16 con Dwarf and getting Mayan Bracelets was huge for my ability to survive classes that rely at all on damage pressure (Monk, Knights, Priest, Magi among others).
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • edited January 2015
    Addama said:
    Having every cure is cheap, might run you 10k for five health/mana vials, two vials of everything else and 100 of every mineral/herb.  It's something you should focus on and definitely has more utility than buying two credits on CFS.
    All that would likely be around 25k (estimating 5 per mineral, 300 per empty vial, and 200 per fill). And that's just the minimum you'd need to get started; if you also need venoms, that will cost a lot (especially now that the prices have suddenly gone up with toxicology increasing the production cost and not being very popular), and then there are additional costs for occultists/jesters (blank cards), runewardens (inks), alchemists (primes, metals, phials, and extra minerals for formulation), and magi (crystals).

Skills and levels aren't necessary to earn gold though. They certainly help, but mostly what you need is to learn where the good gold quests are (beyond the newbie areas); you can make that 25k for cures in 2 hours at level 40 with only your starting+levelling lessons, if you know how.
  • SethSeth North Carolina
    Oceana said:

Back to awesome druids... forestbinding! 

P.S. I miss grove cage.

I miss being able to place totems in your Grove and forest wide Grove Lightning! Hah
  • I sometimes wish I could be a druid, I almost was one but I decided on Sylvan instead.
  • Yae said:
    They're not even guardians. What kind of guardian constantly gets killed by novices. :neutral_face: 
    One that probably needs to have its pay docked for dereliction of duty. Not that they get paid.

I mean, they're what, "exudes a quiet confidence" on the denizen strength list? (If I could, I'd log in right now and check.) That's kind of pathetic for what's described as one of the "fabled earth golem guardians" that can only be summoned with an ability near the high end of the Groves skill.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• An ability that costs freaking 1000 sunlight.

And aren't Druids supposed to be sort of scary in their groves? Maybe having a badass giant earth golem that can actually wreck things might contribute to that.

golems too underpowered need buff rito pls
  • Vesios said:
    golems too underpowered need buff rito pls
    they don't even give mana regen when you kill them, wtf
  • My golem doesn't even register anyone's presence a threat. :smile:
  • Let us mope in peace you meanie-face. :angry: 
  • Jukilian said:
    My golem doesn't even register anyone's presence a threat. :smile:
     It's too stronk to see anything else as a threat.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."