Why being a druid is awesome.

AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa
You say, "YOU!"
3998h, 3998m, 18890e, 18890w cexkdb-
You say, "SHAL NOT!"
You say, "PASS!"
You tap the quarterstaff on the ground and light begins to pour forth from its tip.

Comments

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I thought it was being able to spam Grove Flow during skirmishes in the forest. -cough-Marv-cough-

I see what you're saying though. There seems a lot of potential for interesting RP for Magi/Sylvan, what with using staves and magic. Can they be customised, by chance?

• edited December 2014
  • edited December 2014
    Kresslack said:
    I thought it was being able to spam Grove Flow during skirmishes in the forest. -cough-Marv-cough-

I see what you're saying though. There seems a lot of potential for interesting RP for Magi/Sylvan, what with using staves and magic. Can they be customised, by chance?
    If you mean the quarterstaves, then yes they can. But you have to be careful with them because porting your grove uses up the quarterstaff permanently, so if it isn't resetting (aka a Splinter) then you've just wasted a customization for no reason.

ETA:

Raising your quarterstaff a foot into the air, you drive its end into the ground with a dull thud. A 
    flash of incandescent light suddenly manifests to brightly illuminate your surroundings. (-150m, 4.
    6%) 
    Evoke Flash > Tap Staff for the Gandalf rp :wink: 
  • edited December 2014
    Yo, seriously I don't understand why more people aren't Druids... They've got more utility than like everyone (except maybe tarot users). Badass defenses like vitality, tracking, grove return, might, resurrection (they don't even need a corpse!), portal, flight,  passive curing with pancea...

Damn... They've got a lot of awesome shit. When I started this post I didn't realize they had THAT much...

Rise, and rise again, until lambs become lions.
  • edited December 2014
    You forgot the whole 'being squishy' part. Their bashing is also very subpar, outside of damage. They go kersplat versus hard hitting mobs if you aren't an arti-tank.

Magi better, especially with the lower WP cost on staffcast now. Reflections, flight, burrow, better portals, passive curing (as well as bloodboil), vibes OP, better burst damage with hailstorm. Tankier than druids even.

RP / support, sure they're decent. Everything else, lol not really.

• Druids have amazing utility and are amazing in group combat. Throw some artefacts on them and they're incredible in 1v1 too. Nearly unkillable and one of the heaviest damages in the game. Don't underestimate the fact that there hasn't been a prominent Druid combatant for the past like, five years minimum, and you have a whole lot of people that have no idea how to play defensively against them.

I guess the rp is good? But I've never really seen roleplay as being something that should be defined by what class you are, only supplemented by it

Hunting/Group combat/Utility/Dueling, it's all-around a decent class. The forestal faction is pretty lucky when it comes to factional class choices
  • edited December 2014
    When druids were allowed in any city, they were always one of the most popular classes in the game, in the top 2-4 (always behind serpents, usually behind monks, and occasionally behind mages as well).

Being restricted to only one of the six cities in the game, and not an especially popular city at that, will obviously reduce the class's numbers a lot.

The bashing changes hurt druids quite a bit as well; they have the same DPS potential as most other classes, but in order to reach it they have to use reflexes, which is pretty draining. It's not like they were an amazing bashing class before the changes though, so that probably doesn't change the class's appeal that much.
  • Druid is my favorite class hands down.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Krux said:
    Yo, seriously I don't understand why more people aren't Druids... They've got more utility than like everyone (except maybe tarot users). Badass defenses like vitality, tracking, grove return, might, resurrection (they don't even need a corpse!), portal, flight,  passive curing with pancea...

Damn... They've got a lot of awesome shit. When I started this post I didn't realize they had THAT much...

That list is still missing roughly half of the Druid's utility, if I'm counting my abilities right. 
  • Without arties they struggle 1v1 against people with good curing, from my experience. That said, my experience wasn't a long one.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • @sena Eleusis best city evah!
  • If I've played sylvan and sentinel, does that qualify me to comment on this thread?
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Rangor said:
    @sena Eleusis best city collection of stick huts evah!

• I think Druids utility is with well organized groups that know how to stop moving on barrier. I used to just stand there and pick my nose till someone asked for a barrier. Being able to barrier other people is the strongest ability ever.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • That's a whole lot of complaining about a class without specifying any particular reason that it's bad.

Yes, other classes are getting a new skillset, but it only gives them more options, not necessarily direct buffs.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
  • you'll probably enjoy Dota more
  • AthelasAthelas Cape Town South Africa
    Read it again Addama, I think I was very specific about not having combat 1v1 feasibility, while now also having the one valuable thing about a Druid made available to everyone, and to top it off, the class has to wait the longest to get an overhaul it needed two years ago.
  • Athelas said:
    Read it again Addama, I think I was very specific about not having combat 1v1 feasibility, while now also having the one valuable thing about a Druid made available to everyone, and to top it off, the class has to wait the longest to get an overhaul it needed two years ago.
    No, that's not specific.

For example, if I wanted to be specific about the reasons Dual Blunt sucks in its current configuration, I'd point to the fact that I can't empower blunt weapons and I can't Expend on both hits of a combo.  I can't envenom, I can't impale, and the only people who will die to me are either too squishy to survive or don't know that head prio > everything else.

You are just complaining without being specific.
    ~Kresslack's obsession~
    @Jovolo No I won't, Dota has zero RP. It's just an easy way to vent frustration, nothing more.
  • I mean, both the Sylvans and the Sentinels have to wait too, so it's not like it's just the Druids. The only thing I can think of that justifies it is either all three forestal classes are getting different skills to differentiate them a little more, or they're trying to make the single skill forestals will share really awesome. 

Still feels a little disconcerting, though, I'll admit. Almost everyone else is getting all of these really, really cool things to discover and experiment with all at the same time, and we're left here just... twiddling our thumbs. Or something. 
  • Athelas said:
    @Jovolo No I won't, Dota has zero RP. It's just an easy way to vent frustration, nothing more.
    with your attitude, it seems like you would
    edited January 2015
    @jovolo Attitude? Hmmm. You're not the one getting shafted. So I do not expect you to have any level of comprehension. Enough said.

@Vesios Yes, both sylvans and sentinels are suffering the same problem, but both of them are already 1v1 feasible. A tri-trans Sentinel can actually face off against another class that is tri-trans. A tri-trans Druid doesn't stand a chance against another tri-trans class. This problem was supposed to be solved with the Hydra morph, that only Druids can access. But our best forestal fighters are all staying away from being Druid, because they know what I know... It's just to damn slow.

I'M MORE THAN WILLING TO EAT MY WORDS. IF ANYONE IS WILLING TO PROVE ME WRONG BY ACTUALLY DEMONSTRATING 1V1 DRUID COMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Addama See my statement above!

Everyone I've ever spoken too are always ooing and aaaing about Druid utility and how beautifully it stacks with artefacts, but if you are one of those people who can not afford to drop $$$ on artefacts, you are better off playing something that isn't a Druid.

But no one, not a single person, has ever been able to help me with anything resembling a workable 1v1 combat solution for Druids.

AGAIN! IF YOU HAVE A SOLUTION OR KNOW SOMETHING I DON'T OR HAVE INSIGHT THAT I DO NOT.... PLEASE SHARE!!!

I'm desperate enough to listen to anyone.
  • @Athelas you're trying to make Druid a Runewarden or Monk when it's not. You're throwing everything the Druid does well out the window and saying it sucks based on a single qualification. Is it a little bad in single combat? Yeah. Is it impossible to win in single combat? From what I've seen, not really. I remember doing my defense path with @Yae and her chasing me around the arena like a demon out of hell. That was scary! In that fight I actually feared the Druid!

Comparing all classes on a single parameter and then using that parameter to judge a class's worth is frankly stupid. The game heavily focuses on combat, yes, but that doesn't mean you should discount everything else as if it doesn't matter. 

And we're slated to get a new class skill that will almost definitely be combat-focused. Have you seen the replacement skills? They're amazing! Honestly, if we get something on par with any of that it may give Druids the push they've always somewhat needed to do 1v1, and it'll only boost its already awesome group combat. I don't know about you, but I'm going to wait for those changes before I opinionate anymore. 
    @Aepas Thanks, that's the kind of information I need. Please give more.

@Vesios As I said, some time in 2016
  • edited January 2015
    @Athelas Your claim that there's not much reason for people to go druid now doesn't hold much weight, considering old druids (which were inferior to current druids in almost every way; druids have received a lot of buffs to both combat/utility and other shiny new things with very few nerfs/losses) were always one of the most popular classes (at least post-autoclass). The people who used concoctions at all were a small minority, so that definitely wasn't one of the main things drawing people to the class. And as you said, there have been very few druid combatants, so combat wasn't a significant part of the appeal either.

The only thing that has seriously impacted druid's popularity was being restricted from joining cities. If anything, the fact that there's a new skill on the way is going to be a massive boost to the class; if they weren't limited to Eleusis, I expect these changes would have made druid easily the most popular class in the game for a while.
  • Aepas said:

TL:DR

Learn more skills
    Complain less
    LoL>Dota

League of Legends is to Dota 2 as Aardwolf is to Achaea. VOTE ACHAEA and PLAY DOTA;)

Propaganda aside, Druid -is- awesome and I've been waiting to play one since April 14th. Bring on the 'Renaissance'!

Not sure what you mean about Druids being "shafted with every change" since they have received nothing but buffs across many consecutive classlead rounds. 

Put yourself out there and practice practice practice, Athelas! You mentioned Dota so I'll use it as an example, in Dota you start off as a newbie and you don't understand half of what you see on your screen. You run around and focus on small tasks but you aren't seeing the big picture, your map awareness sucks, your skill and item builds are suboptimal, you react to threats slowly, you have no idea what the enemy heroes can do, and you're probably not focusing on the correct objective. All of those inadequacies translate to Achaea as well, and are solved the same way in both games, and that's through playing the game a LOT. I've seen you practice fighting some, and have seen you participate in defenses too and that's awesome, but not nearly enough to back up the sort of balance claims you're making here man. Get out there and fight people you're better than, fight people your size, and fight people you don't think you could ever beat. Half of them have something to say to help, and all of them provide you with a log to read through.

Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
    @Sena Yes, new skill, awesome... some time in 2016, maybe, perhaps. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm quietly praying that someone has taken the time to make it part of the Eleusian Renaissance... 

I'm already seeing people that used to come to me for elixirs and salves, harvesting and concocting for themselves, now I don't quite understand how that promotes character interaction while demoting independence. Which is supposed to be reasoning behind the trade skill migration.

So ... again ... if you know something I don't, or I lack understanding/knowledge. Stop the criticism and start informing me.

I would really like to enjoy this change as much as everyone else seems to be.
  • Athelas said:
    @Sena Yes, new skill, awesome... some time in 2016, maybe, perhaps.
    More like months away, based on comments from Tecton et al in the tradeskill threads. I will be far more than "surprised" if it takes over a year.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."