What Happened To You Today?

Comments

• Is there a reason these denizens aren't going off to visit with Ugrach and returning?  The RP seems to be that they are permanently gone, unless I've missed something, and I'm unsure what would have caused permanent death.
  • It's kinda full of handwavium when it comes to denizens and ugrach
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • It's no different to adventurers. ICly there is no guarantee that your next trip to Ugrach won't be your last. He could decide your time is through and that's it.

Obviously OOCly we know that won't actually be the case.
  • That is terrifying just saying.  "Oh god I could be true dead this time maybe I shouldn't let my friend kill me for fun!" Haha
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Okay, we're still getting the city emotes of empty streets and such, so was curious if the background denizens are being treated as if they've permanently died from this.
  • Torinn said:
    That is terrifying just saying.  "Oh god I could be true dead this time maybe I shouldn't let my friend kill me for fun!" Haha
    I think that and the constant genocide (even if they do come back...) is a large part of why denizens generally consider adventurers to be total maniacs.
  • Did some gravedigging with @Stefana while listening to @Ryssa sing. I think the scale of the loss is just now settling in for Arin. (Also, Ryssa, that art was absolutely beautiful.) Arin's definitely shifting as a character, which is fun, I just need to figure out in what way. Playful cheerfulness seems out of place in her world now, but I have confidence that she'll find a way to draw it back in while still keeping the horrors and sadness unforgotten and painted in stark lines. 

• edited May 2019
    The thing about returning from the Halls has always seemed like a "Your destiny is incomplete" factor. Ever since Maya and then Thoth specifically, you were given the message that you still had more to do and it wasnt your time yet. This gives the feeling that those that return from the Halls, both Players and NPCs are done so because they have a purpose to play still, whether greater or smaller, in the grand scheme of things. It is why I believe during certain events when an NPC is killed and vanished...that their story has indeed concluded.

(As for nameless NPCs and general mobs in areas, I prefer to think that some of them do permanently die to players hunting and are just replaced with others later. Definitely no one is innocent just because more 'spawn' later :P)
  • I appreciate the answers on these. I didn't realize the background denizens were treated differently, so thank you.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I always love having the veil lifted just a little bit to learn and understand how the world works better! Thanks much for the post (and the kudos).
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Use the messenger in Delos for Ugrach. They are a bit more courageous

• I got excited to log in just to check to see if the one Cyrenian NPC was gone for good. Unfortunately Konstantina is still there to complain about the eels in the lake. I was really hoping! 
  • Mroxyl said:
    Use the messenger in Delos for Ugrach. They are a bit more courageous

The top one was the messenger in Delos. Even he is too scared to deliver a letter to the curator of death it seems.  :'(
    edited May 2019
    Ayani said:
    I got excited to log in just to check to see if the one Cyrenian NPC was gone for good. Unfortunately Konstantina is still there to complain about the eels in the lake. I was really hoping! 
    Rude! Konstantina was very lovely when she was introduced to the city.

If you don't want her I'll adopt her, you heartless something or other. :angry:

Keorin said:
    Babel said:
    This is what happened to Cyrene. For reasons that are likely obvious or can be found out in-game, something in the order of 19 out of every 20 people who lived in Cyrene were either processed, subsumed, enthralled, murdered, drowned or buried in the subsequent destruction to get the city to a point where it is severely depopulated from the ambient perspective, in likely what was one of the most heavily lived-in citystates on the continent.
    So, small request to any admin who see this. Is there -any- way that we could get any basis to know that death percentage ICly? I've been poking and mailing denizens throughout the city, trying to get any kind of census/count going, but I've had no luck so far, and so the extent of the death has remained -incredibly- unclear (I'd assumed it was more like 25-50%, for instance, and that's been comparatively pessimistic compared to most people's assumptions).

I know that the admin are usually loath to get too specific on things, but even a very rough estimate of how much of the city was lost would be -huge-. As things stand, a lot of the city, including some of the leadership, is using the apparent lack of any mechanical loss to justify a very sanguine attitude towards anything, and so a lot of the conversation on how to move forward is getting stuck in a disagreement about whether or not there was much death at all - something that should be really, really damned obvious ICly, but which we have no way of judging as players. I really want to have a conversation about the next steps forward based on a shared IC situation, but that's impossible when everyone is interpreting what happened radically differently.
    Think of this from a general IRL prospective though... like, if a country is taken over by another aggressive country, and we can not access that country for a period of time, and when we finally can again, it comes at the cost of countless lives lost. The government is in disarray. Buildings are destroyed all over the place. 

Now, I know Cyrene's government is technically still in place because mechanical reasons and we have to remember this is a game, but I can't imagine there would be any way to know for quite a few years the actual, true numbers lost - and even then, probably only an estimate. I think it's safe to guesstimate at the least in the thousands (my opinion being inserted here), but beyond that? I just don't think it'd be realistic to know for a long period of time.

I see the root here is actually to do with people not taking the deathtoll seriously, though, and that is indeed a problem that is worthwhile of addressing. Frankly, if it's actual LEADERS doing that, you should throw them the hell out of their position by any means necessary (I'd even help! mwhaha). For the rest, that's harder, but leading by example and bringing down the hammer on people being idiots is a good start.

Also not saying the admin shouldn't find some way to make the loss more visceral, either, I just don't think aiming at this from a numbers perspective is the angle you're looking for here, is all.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Spin this another way then: Do people generally shake off lots and lots of dead soldiers in other wars if no civilians died? 

I mean, that is a hell of a loaded question so what I really mean is: is it generally what people would morally do? I could not hope to make a comment on how nations treat their soldiers or don't or anything RL, more just in theory if it was say just guards, that's still people dying for your homeland, that might be serious.

• I guess just to tl;dr all this:

As long as the scope of the death in Cyrene is left highly open to interpretation, it will be interpreted in all sorts of different ways. For some, the occupation and its end will be a huge victory, as we drove back the Tsol'teth with few losses. For others, it will be the biggest tragedy in the city's history, all because we can't agree on what the heck actually happened.
  • Well that's more than fair enough. People would do that naturally! People DO do that naturally. 
  • edited May 2019
    Well the issue there isn't someone seeing the cost and somehow rationalising it, that's someone basically lying to themselves, which IC sounds like PTSD in an Achaean flavour and OOC is just poor form.

I don't know, to me OOC its pretty horrific, I could see someone IC somehow going "they served and that's the cost" but going "nah its fine its just npcs" is one of those traps to not fall into. 

EDIT: and to credit an important point you made @Shirszae I completely agree, it is important that the information does flow to demonstrate the reality of any situation, that's also just good colour and an opportunity to interact!
  • D/W Guys.

You have no fear...

Because Eleusis definitely won.

PS: I really fucking love the aesthetic of Cyrene right now.

Frozen wasteland, more-or-less. The fact that there are no actual easy land routes into the city for traders to send wares, etc.. I'm all down for what comes from this event, so long as Targ gets raided.
  • With that accolade, most definitely :P
  • edited May 2019
    Jinos said:
    Guards are still carrying, and depositing bodies.
    As a small note, the -vast- majority of Cyrenians died to the tide, and left no bodies; the body pile actually says that it's almost all guards, because that's most of who was left in the city by the time we attacked. The body pile is made up of guards that were under the litany, plus Cyrenians who died to the initial occupation, the flooding, and Hailqas'an's attack, while most of the death was from the tide consuming people, from what's been said so far.
  • @Keorin

This is true. But seeing other bodies intermingled with all those guards makes it somehow more jarring. A small fragile limb buried amidst the armor clad bodies seems a lot more striking. At least those are the reactions I've seen while people gather to mourn, and help bury the dead. The stench is also becoming worse.

Anyone that can stand around that, and think let alone say the losses weren't that bad. Just don't get it.
    "Alas. Alas for Hamlin. The Mayor sent east, west, north, and south. To offer the Piper by word of mouth. Wherever it was men's lot to find him, silver and gold to his heart's content. If only he'd return the way he went."