House Renaissance

Comments

• WessuxWessux Chattanooga

Jhaeli said:

Achaea tried the soft limitations for years. To be blunt, the hard limitations work a lot better. 

Soft limitations resulted a lot of people believing that THEY were the unique "I don't have to live in the EVIL city because demons are MISUNDERSTOOD" Infernal, etc. Not to say that either of you would end up in this camp, as there are always exceptions to the idiot rule, but the hard limitations cleaned up a lot of ridiculousness while also making sense ICly. It also helps Mhaldor with population growth and so forth.

This is sooooo true. If it wasn't for this instead of the Maldaathi having me and Carmain it would just be Carmain. 

Invest in a 9mm retirement plan.
  • So excommunication or getting kicked out of Targossas should instantly strip you of your class too, if you're a paladin/priest? Sounds very dumb to me, unless the plan is a free 100% lesson refund.

I'm not saying newbies should be allowed to start as Mhaldorian Priests. I'm saying that fallen priest X should be able to join Y if Y's officials approve it.
  • I honestly can't wait for this change, I first doubted the thought of losing Knight houses and perhaps even Knighthood itself but on the other hand, I know quite a few people(Including myself) that wouldn't let this be the case. I love the fact of teaching combat to those that want to learn combat and having them in the same house as me. Cohesion at its best! Can't wait!
  • No one listens to Iocun.  He spits when he talks.  And no, I don't think so.  We all saw something shiny.  But yes, players, and especially leaders shouldn't have a "choice".  It should be powerful forces beyond their control driving the changes. 

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Wessux said:

Jhaeli said:

Achaea tried the soft limitations for years. To be blunt, the hard limitations work a lot better. 

Soft limitations resulted a lot of people believing that THEY were the unique "I don't have to live in the EVIL city because demons are MISUNDERSTOOD" Infernal, etc. Not to say that either of you would end up in this camp, as there are always exceptions to the idiot rule, but the hard limitations cleaned up a lot of ridiculousness while also making sense ICly. It also helps Mhaldor with population growth and so forth.

This is sooooo true. If it wasn't for this instead of the Maldaathi having me and Carmain it would just be Carmain. 

That's a pity, I thought you liked the Maldaathi. Although I'll admit it probably has seen better days at this point.

That being said, maybe the new house thing will help to address some of these issues and more, whenever we get it (hopefully not too long away!)

If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• @_@ Something just came to my mind randomly like the other crap I spew at you people.

If Occultists are a factional class, does this mean Hashan isn't going to be allowed to have them anymore?

• yeah, this is a good opportunity totally factionalize Occultists now

• It has been my experience that some people are not willing to compromise their RP no matter the OOC circumstances. Its certainly not something you can plan on people doing.

• Aerek said:
    > @Silas said:
    > I stopped reading halfway through page 3, but did anybody ever actually understand or address the point Iocun was making? It's a hugely valid one and is crucial in the long term success of a game-changing move like this.

I understood his point, but that's why I said some suspension of disbelief may be required. For example, giving up Knighthood is never something that the Wardens would voluntarily do, but because that may be coming and we know it's coming, OOC, we are fully capable of devising some reasonable justification for going along with it, for the good of the game.

We control our RP, our RP does not control us. When something like this happens, sometimes we need to invent our own character evolution, instead of demanding Admin action to do it for us. Have your character meditate on a moutaintop for a month and come back with the epiphany that Houses need to change.

I've played one character, in one House, religiously devoted to one ideal, for 10 years, and that House is about to lose that ideal as its central focus. If *I* can invent IC justification to support this, I have faith that anyone can.

I wish more people like you played this game, totally off topic so I will add.

I think Cyrene will turn out as great as it is now, and we will all eat cupcakes and be happy with their new houses.

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!

@Tecton if you're going to freeze shard drops, are you going to freeze icon decay for the time being aswell then?

Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Jacen said:

It has been my experience that some people are not willing to compromise their RP no matter the OOC circumstances. Its certainly not something you can plan on people doing.

You need to rewrite this in caps lock and emphasize it with a giant picture of something fantastical and the same words inside. Only way people will realize this.

• MadelyneMadelyne East Coast, USA
    Accipiter said:
    It really does feel like it is targeted directly at serpent only houses. "Oh, we are going to 3 houses per city, bye bye smallest house, oh, you could only accept one class, sorry about that"

Ty Beirdd only accepted bards for the longest time. And then they opened up to jesters, also. They're not the smallest house in Cyrene, but it's my understanding that they're still getting the axe, in a manner of speaking.  :\

• edited May 2014
    > @Madelyne said:
    > Accipiter said:
    >
    >
    > It really does feel like it is targeted directly at serpent only houses. "Oh, we are going to 3 houses per city, bye bye smallest house, oh, you could only accept one class, sorry about that"
    >
    >
    >
    > Ty Beirdd only accepted bards for the longest time. And then they opened up to you JESTERS, also. They're not the smallest house in Cyrene, but it's my understanding that they're still getting the AXE, in a manner of speaking.  :\
    _________

You misunderstand. You will get the bop, Jester don't use axes. Silly @madelyne.

P.S: jesters op
  • TohranTohran Everywhere you don't want to be. I'm the anti-Visa!
    I'm looking at all of this, and I don't think Eleusis will change all that much.  The three houses have always worked in concert quite nicely and all towards the same purpose. The only major thing that I can think of, was mentioned on page 1, and that's the Druid House. In reality, I don't see how the Druids will be affected that much, as their househall resides outside of Eleusis, which techincally makes it a cityless house. They have a long standing alliance with Eleusis, which works beneficially to all in the forestal community, but they do not reside INSIDE Eleusis. 

I fully play on remaining a runewarden, I rather enjoy the class, I'm looking forward to multiclass, and pondering what abilities I want to take up when that happens. 

Only thing I have is that I feel that more than just the leaders should be involved. The older citizens should also have a voice in what is going on, or at least be involved in the discussions held with the Garden.

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Tohran said:
    I'm looking at all of this, and I don't think Eleusis will change all that much.  The three houses have always worked in concert quite nicely and all towards the same purpose. The only major thing that I can think of, was mentioned on page 1, and that's the Druid House. In reality, I don't see how the Druids will be affected that much, as their househall resides outside of Eleusis, which techincally makes it a cityless house. They have a long standing alliance with Eleusis, which works beneficially to all in the forestal community, but they do not reside INSIDE Eleusis. 

I fully play on remaining a runewarden, I rather enjoy the class, I'm looking forward to multiclass, and pondering what abilities I want to take up when that happens. 

Only thing I have is that I feel that more than just the leaders should be involved. The older citizens should also have a voice in what is going on, or at least be involved in the discussions held with the Garden.

The issue with having too many people involved in the the discussion is the SNR goes way down, there's 8 different conversations going at once, and very little gets done. Best thing to do is discuss it with your house leader and have them bring it up.

• > @Achimrst said:
    > _@ Something just came to my mind randomly like the other crap I spew at you people.
    >
    > If Occultists are a factional class, does this mean Hashan isn't going to be allowed to have them anymore?

That is a pretty touchy subject and has some large historical roots concerning the occultist class. The 'profession' and study of the occult was always spread out to wherever it could If there was no prejudice against them. Heck if you look into occultist history, you will see there was even occultist in shallam once before they were deemed unsafe and unholy and condemned.

If Occultists were to ever leave Hashan, there would have to be veeeery strong reasoning and basis behind it, rather than 'makimg full faction based. Sorry'.

I sincerely hope the administration takes the lore into account with such changes, and doesn't do Drastic and undefined retcons like the infamous aetolia ones. It just ruins all the flavor and makes players feel powerless.
  • edited May 2014

There's also something to note that, if Occultism was originally able to be restricted like Devotion and Necromancy were/are, the Occultist House, which was so restrictive of its teachings, would never have let it spread to Hashan to begin with.

Asmodron said:

The 'profession' and study of the occult was always spread out to wherever it could If there was no prejudice against them.

This specifically is wrong. It was always kept within the Guild/House wherever possible, it was others who 'stole' the secrets and took them to other cities. There's a reason that an outcast Occultist exists who breaks your ties to the Occultists, and it's not because they want to spread around wherever they can.

Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• WeiWei Monterey, California

I think Occultists fit in just fine with the Darkness.

• Asmodron said:
    > @Achimrst said:
    > _@ Something just came to my mind randomly like the other crap I spew at you people.
    >
    > If Occultists are a factional class, does this mean Hashan isn't going to be allowed to have them anymore?

It just ruins all the flavor and makes players feel powerless.

We are already powerless, this isn't an issue as the admins will do whatever they want as long as the majority of forum goers agree with it.

• TohranTohran Everywhere you don't want to be. I'm the anti-Visa!
    I had an idea for a darkness based class that utilized scythes. I remember sending it to Snareman a long time ago. I never kept a copy for myself, or if I did it's been deleted as of a long time ago. I gave it over before I deployed in 2010.