House Renaissance

Comments

• Primary warning note: Novel detected(okay, not seriously, but it's long), no tl;dr, approach at your own risk

Second warning note: The following message is based on my entirely OOC opinion, I mean, they're forums, it should be obvious, but I feel it should be pointed out that this is entirely my OOC opinion. It may even follow my IC opinion if it comes down to stating it, but this is entirely my OOC opinion. And some parts may be joking, so, if you get angry, please wait 15 minutes before responding. Kthx.

I'm going to make my predictions for Cyrene, based on my time in Cyrene and what I know of the place(which, admittedly, might be flawed and biased, go figure) in regards to the house renassaince.

Of course, the first largest personal bias is going to be toward the Wardens, my character -is- a Warden and I have deep ties to the organization. But, in my long-time-Cyrenian-opinion... The Wardens and Ty Beirdd are the two most likely to go relatively untouched, or at least, have their core identity remain in tact, as well as their names and what they stand for.

Why? Those two organizations are probably the most predominatly noticable when someone looks at Cyrene and what Cyrene does. Knights, and arts. Why not the Mojushai, you might ask? Don't get mad at me, members of the Mojushai, and/or @Iocun .... but.. uh... it has been (in good humour) joked for several real-life years that the Mojushai are the Wardens-lite™. Outside of that, most of the Mojushai practices are -effectively- city-wide ethos as it is. Traditions and variations, of course, exist... but the Mojushai could effectively be merged with the Wardens and the Cyrenian identity would not be harmed.

Of course, there's also the Kindred. Don't get me wrong, guys, the Kindred does have deep history with Cyrene and people love their magi... but... outside of Hashan, you guys are litterally the only other group where I have to scratch my head and go, "what do you guys even stand for or even do?" Kindred and Mojushai could also be a reasonable integration as well, but... yeah. Either the Kindred vanish and get merged with the Mojushai, or the Mojushai vanish and get merged with the Wardens and/or the Kindred in some manner or fashion.

Those are my predictions for Cyrene, anyway. I look forward to Mojushai and Kindred outrage to follow this post .... and/or being sniped by camels firing cruise missiles after being launched from Iocun's bow. And this will probably benefit Ty Beirdd's ailing numbers as well... I mean, some of Ty Beirdd's practices should definitely change...(like, your stance on combat, come on guys, we need bards that can hit things in a raid. I'm looking at you @madelyne :P)

And rage away, Cyrene. Gogogogo.

When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • KerriaKerria The Red Lioness
    Will the old precedents of house leadership remain in the new housing system, like HL and like newcomer heads (as novices will likely be relocated to academy), or will it be completely different?
  • Daklore said:

Primary warning note: Novel detected(okay, not seriously, but it's long), no tl;dr, approach at your own risk

Second warning note: The following message is based on my entirely OOC opinion, I mean, they're forums, it should be obvious, but I feel it should be pointed out that this is entirely my OOC opinion. It may even follow my IC opinion if it comes down to stating it, but this is entirely my OOC opinion. And some parts may be joking, so, if you get angry, please wait 15 minutes before responding. Kthx.

I'm going to make my predictions for Cyrene, based on my time in Cyrene and what I know of the place(which, admittedly, might be flawed and biased, go figure) in regards to the house renassaince.

Of course, the first largest personal bias is going to be toward the Wardens, my character -is- a Warden and I have deep ties to the organization. But, in my long-time-Cyrenian-opinion... The Wardens and Ty Beirdd are the two most likely to go relatively untouched, or at least, have their core identity remain in tact, as well as their names and what they stand for.

Why? Those two organizations are probably the most predominatly noticable when someone looks at Cyrene and what Cyrene does. Knights, and arts. Why not the Mojushai, you might ask? Don't get mad at me, members of the Mojushai, and/or @Iocun .... but.. uh... it has been (in good humour) joked for several real-life years that the Mojushai are the Wardens-lite™. Outside of that, most of the Mojushai practices are -effectively- city-wide ethos as it is. Traditions and variations, of course, exist... but the Mojushai could effectively be merged with the Wardens and the Cyrenian identity would not be harmed.

Of course, there's also the Kindred. Don't get me wrong, guys, the Kindred does have deep history with Cyrene and people love their magi... but... outside of Hashan, you guys are litterally the only other group where I have to scratch my head and go, "what do you guys even stand for or even do?" Kindred and Mojushai could also be a reasonable integration as well, but... yeah. Either the Kindred vanish and get merged with the Mojushai, or the Mojushai vanish and get merged with the Wardens and/or the Kindred in some manner or fashion.

Those are my predictions for Cyrene, anyway. I look forward to Mojushai and Kindred outrage to follow this post .... and/or being sniped by camels firing cruise missiles after being launched from Iocun's bow. And this will probably benefit Ty Beirdd's ailing numbers as well... I mean, some of Ty Beirdd's practices should definitely change...(like, your stance on combat, come on guys, we need bards that can hit things in a raid. I'm looking at you @madelyne :P)

And rage away, Cyrene. Gogogogo.

I would argue that the Arcane Kindred is the Hufflepuff of Cyrene. I'm not like a super active house member, and I haven't even finished my initiate stages despite being in the house for an extremely long time.  Anyway my view point of the Kindred, we're an eccentric bunch.  I mean we eat rainbow pudding and arcane pretzels. We definitely are present in a lot of ways; I would say we have a large dependence on hunting, and rituals. I'd argue we're important and shouldn't be completely abolished. Though I'm not really at a point to argue anything, but when we're gone you'll miss us.  :p I mean to continue my HP reference; Wardens are Gryffindor, Ty Beirrd is Ravenclaw, Kindred is Hufflepuff, and Mojushai are Slytherin. 

In all seriousness though, does everything have to be about combat? I mean I enjoy casting spells and watching my enemies turn to shreds by me spamming lacerate as many times as possible, but I mean if I wanted to fight I could join like Ashtan, Mhaldor, or Targossas. I think Cyrene is supposed to be less combative than the other cities.

• Daklore said:

Those are my predictions for Cyrene, anyway. I look forward to Mojushai and Kindred outrage to follow this post .... and/or being sniped by camels firing cruise missiles after being launched from Iocun's bow.

Well, while I don't agree that the Mojushai ethos is all too similar to Cyrene's ethos, nor that it's Wardens-lite (you guys suck at meditating!), I don't disagree with your assessment that keeping Wardens and TyBeirdd more or less as they are may be the best bet. But I'd definitely much rather have the Mojushai deleted, than merged with another house. Merging would be an act of watering down centuries of grown differences and we'd end up with a grey mush which would have to be forcibly given a new artificial identity.

It's like some really cool wizard deciding he wants to live forever, so he becomes a lich, and while he does get to have tons of new high level spells to play with, he's still ugly as hell and never gets invited to birthday parties.

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Liane said:

So are players just reassigned a new house based on the house they are currently in or are you simply houseless? Actually with this new change is there any thought that maybe players might switch cities due to the changing of houses?

Not being reassigned to a new house automatically, no. As I mentioned in an earlier reply, there may be some situations where you stay where you are in your same "house" (the house may be different but your standing might be the same).

If people wish to change cities, that's fine too! It'll be no different than changing a city now!

Josoul said:

@Tecton‌ Questions: 

-What will happen to news boards of Houses that will merge? a: both deleted and a new one set up, b: only one deleted, the "larger/winner/whatever" of the two Houses keeps the news they had, c: all boards of all Houses are reset, d: you will send a link for a .zip copy of the deleted boards to active members of those Houses in a message to download e: you will convert the deleted news boards in journals/manuscripts and add then in the merged House library or f: other? 

-Then same question about libraries inside estates.

-Will we get some time between the decision "<city> will have House A, B and C now on" and House D estate, news, bank, shops, etc becoming inaccessible? 

- In the event of a "merge", we'll probably reset the news, and have it available in some form - be it a journal or some OOC means.

- That'll be up to the house leadership to decide what to do with them.

- Well, the leadership will in any event. I assume they'll pass that information along in some form!

• EilonaEilona United Kingdom
    edited May 2014

Nevermind!

Kerria said:
    Will the old precedents of house leadership remain in the new housing system, like HL and like newcomer heads (as novices will likely be relocated to academy), or will it be completely different?

Yes, there will still be a house leader and a head of novices, the biggest thing is the new people will be less "new", as they would have done all of the newbie tasks, city tasks etc. So the house can focus on the house's mission, not teaching the newbie the landmarks of your city, or how to writhe.

Eilona said:

Do you have an estimated timetable for this? Cyrene is going first, but how long until the next city gets their renaissance?

Once Cyrene is sorted, we'll move on to the next city. Being the first city with a house structure in place already, we're using it as a gauge of time required etc.

• Tecton said:
    Josoul said:

@Tecton‌ Questions: 

-What will happen to news boards of Houses that will merge? a: both deleted and a new one set up, b: only one deleted, the "larger/winner/whatever" of the two Houses keeps the news they had, c: all boards of all Houses are reset, d: you will send a link for a .zip copy of the deleted boards to active members of those Houses in a message to download e: you will convert the deleted news boards in journals/manuscripts and add then in the merged House library or f: other? 

-Then same question about libraries inside estates.

-Will we get some time between the decision "<city> will have House A, B and C now on" and House D estate, news, bank, shops, etc becoming inaccessible? 

- In the event of a "merge", we'll probably reset the news, and have it available in some form - be it a journal or some OOC means.

- That'll be up to the house leadership to decide what to do with them.

- Well, the leadership will in any event. I assume they'll pass that information along in some form!

@‌TectonYou can always just finally use Candlemas and the library of Ancients for something :P

• As soon as you said that I realized it's probably why we were picked ;)

• StrataStrata United States of Derp

This is a great idea as long as the implementation of it involves blowing up Hashan.

• Strata said:

This is a great idea as long as the implementation of it involves blowing up Hashan.

If they blew up Hashan, who would you be allies with?

• StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Achimrst said:
    Strata said:

I only said that because I want to see what would happen if they try to delete Hashan and the server divides by zero.

• AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited May 2014
    Strata said:
    Achimrst said:
    Strata said:

I only said that because I want to see what would happen if they try to delete Hashan and the server divides by zero.

Let Eleusis destroy Hashan, we need this.

• 1. What will be happening with house estates? Would it be possible to leave those there so they could be used as museums or warp hubs or something?

2. What will be happening with house improvements? I'm thinking specifically of willpower rooms, falconries, milking rooms, etc.
    I'd imagine some of those could feasibly be made public use (master crystal comes to mind, especially since it makes no sense for all houses to have one when each city has a house that has one already), but ... yeah. How's that going to work?

Kunama said:

1. What will be happening with house estates? Would it be possible to leave those there so they could be used as museums or warp hubs or something?

2. What will be happening with house improvements? I'm thinking specifically of willpower rooms, falconries, milking rooms, etc.
    I'd imagine some of those could feasibly be made public use (master crystal comes to mind, especially since it makes no sense for all houses to have one when each city has a house that has one already), but ... yeah. How's that going to work?

1) The structures will remain in place, they may be repurposed as new house halls, or open as new city expansions like museums, libraries etc.

2) Most house improvements will be combined for use by all citizens.

• MayMay Texas
    edited May 2014

My question is this. What will become of Icons with the new change. Are they going to be reworked so that they mesh with the change for all classes in a house, or are they going to be done away with all together?

I'm also assuming that each city will get there own Academy like Targossas has for novice training. How will this be implemented into each city. Do we just need to create one or will it be included with the change?

Lastly, when the trade skills are moved, if you already have that trade skill trans will you lose it, or do we get to keep it?

I'm actually very excited about the coming changes, should make Hashan next after Cyrene.... We need a make-over! 

May said:

My question is this. What will become of Icons with the new change. Are they going to be reworked so that they mesh with the change for all classes in a house, or are they going to be done away with all together?

I'm also assuming that each city will get there own Academy like Targossas has for novice training. How will this be implemented into each city. Do we just need to create one or will it be included with the change?

I'm actually very excited about the coming changes, should make Hashan next after Cyrene.... We need a make-over! 

We'll probably use this as a catalyst for redoing house icons in the near future. While they're great conflict mechanisms when they happen, they're really not utilised enough (due to power feedback loops and the like). So we're probably not going to raise new icons for the new houses (and we may stop shard drops) until everyone is migrated and we've had a chance to rework some of the systems.

One of the goals of city novicehood is to lessen (but not do away with) the need for a huge amount of hand-holding while people learn the ropes of their new city (and the reliance on a novice aide to be present for the new adventurer to make any progress). They'll learn the basics of the city ethos, geography, information about the houses, and anything else the city wants covered via fun quests and tasks. If they wish to supplement that education with a transient clan, they're free to, but it's in no way enforced.

• :O I forgot about Icons! So are we losing our house Icon buffs soonish?

Achimrst said:

:O I forgot about Icons! So are we losing our house Icon buffs soonish?

Perhaps for a little while! We don't have a finalised roadmap on that overhaul at this point in time.

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    @Tecton: About city novicehood tasks, does that mean we are adding more? From what I understand, the current newbie tasks are the general stuff novices need to learn about. For city and house-specific tasks, would those be discussed by city leaders?
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

edited May 2014
    Sherazad said:
    @Tecton: About city novicehood tasks, does that mean we are adding more? From what I understand, the current newbie tasks are the general stuff novices need to learn about. For city and house-specific tasks, would those be discussed by city leaders?
    Yes, we'll discuss the city novicehood tasks with the city leaders as part of the renaissance discussions.

• MayMay Texas

When the trade skills are moved, if we already have that trade skill will we lose it, or do we get to keep it? 

May said:

When the trade skills are moved, if we already have that trade skill will we lose it, or do we get to keep it? 

Not really part of this discussion! Stay tuned for more information about tradeskill stuff though!