House Renaissance

Comments

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Iocun said:

I'd rather be critical before the implementation, when things can still be influenced, than being all "Yay, cool new stuff!" before, and then saying "well, you guys suck, that was implemented so badly" once the matter is complete. I think that's what this thread is for, after all.

Yes, and as it's been mentioned, you'll have that opportunity via your city leaders who apparently will be acting as liaisons to facilitate this change. 

• > @Wei said:
    > I like how this thread is already tending toward Hashan on page 2. So, do you think the Lotus can absorb all the best Serpent Lords?
    Does the Lotus even need to merge with them?

I think it would be amazingly beneficial if the Serpent Lords took this opportunity to step away from being a "Serpent" House, and instead become a House based on an ideal such as Assassins of Darkness. With that ideal, the inclusion of other Classes can be justified to an extent and they keep their roleplay of being a House of thieves, assassins, and spies.

Just my two cents on that topic. Lotus and SL have very different morals and ideals - I don't see how a merger would be a good idea for either of them.
  • Yeah, I agree, this totally isn't the place to discuss house renaissa-

Tecton said:
    This thread is to discuss and bring up any questions regarding the House Renaissance, as detailed in http://www.achaea.com/game/news/Achaea/Announce/4134.

oh.

• @Iocun‌ All I was trying to say is that suggesting how it should go, i.e. proposals as well as questions would probably be more productive than just saying it sucks. That doesn't really do anything for anybody. E.g. if you want an event for your House/City so that Iocun can roll with it in an IC manner, then what kind of event do you want? How should it go? While the nitty-gritty will be the city/house-leaders and the Garden, this is the opportunity to voice everything from everybody else so what you need and want can get included in the planning.

The Truths hurt. Always.
  • @Kresslack‌ But to what extent can a liaison be done? If the discussions are primarily OOC I'm not sure how viable that would be. And I bet that the leadership would very much not want to be swarmed by the 50 differing and conflicting opinions of their citizens/etc.

Just wondering how that could be done viably.
  • edited May 2014

Well, since Cyrene goes first...

I really like the way the Knightly houses are conceptualized around the principle of Knighthood and the challenges leading up to it. The concept of Knightly honor and all that comes with it. I think it would be wonderful to preserve intact, or mostly intact, the traditions of Knighthood in each City. There is so much history, tradition, and thought that's been put into making someone into a Sir or Dame, I think it would be a damn shame to just throw it out. The Knights have been pretty adamant about class membership, (in Cyrene it's been Runies and Paladins only,) but aside from illogical combinations such as Jester Knights, I think it would be extremely important to an individual City's continued history and culture to keep Knighthood. The people that go through gruelling training to earn that Sir or Dame probably feel on top of the world when they get the title and start kicking butt as full Knights. If this were taken out, a crucial and vibrant part of the fantasy world would be lost.

Just my two cents.

• Aalm said:

I really like the way the Knightly houses are conceptualized around the principle of Knighthood and the challenges leading up to it. I think it would be wonderful to preserve intact, or mostly intact, the traditions of Knighthood in each City. There is so much history, tradition, and thought that's been put into making someone into a Sir or Dame, I think it would be a damn shame to just throw it out. The Knights have been pretty adamant about class membership, (in Cyrene it's been Runies and Paladins only,) but aside from illogical combinations such as Jester Knights, I think it would be extremely important to an individual City's continued history and culture to keep Knighthood. The people that go through gruelling training to earn that Sir or Dame probably feel on top of the world when they get the title and start kicking butt as full Knights. If this were taken out, a crucial and vibrant part of the fantasy world would be lost.

Just my two cents.

Make a clan for those wishing to pursue knighthood in Cyrene. Problem solved!

• @Aalm: I personally think it'd be cool if knighthood became a bit more distilled - less about having the right class, and much more about having the right attitude and being able to consistently prove it. If any class can become a knight (and once multiclass comes around, short of a silly "you're only a knight in knight mode" rule, this will inevitably become true anyway, so it's best to prepare for it I think), then I think raising the difficulty of becoming one might be in order as well, to keep it as a relatively uncommon symbol of prestige and being awesome.

• Arcturus said:
    Aalm said:

I really like the way the Knightly houses are conceptualized around the principle of Knighthood and the challenges leading up to it. I think it would be wonderful to preserve intact, or mostly intact, the traditions of Knighthood in each City. There is so much history, tradition, and thought that's been put into making someone into a Sir or Dame, I think it would be a damn shame to just throw it out. The Knights have been pretty adamant about class membership, (in Cyrene it's been Runies and Paladins only,) but aside from illogical combinations such as Jester Knights, I think it would be extremely important to an individual City's continued history and culture to keep Knighthood. The people that go through gruelling training to earn that Sir or Dame probably feel on top of the world when they get the title and start kicking butt as full Knights. If this were taken out, a crucial and vibrant part of the fantasy world would be lost.

Just my two cents.

@Arcturus : You and I both know a Knightly house can't be wiped out and replaced with a clan. If High Clans were beefed up with a lot of new options, then perhaps yes. I don't think the full experience can exist without factors such as raising funds, having a hall, and being able to build icons, which Knights are often really well-situated to defend.

• edited May 2014
    Suladan said:

@Iocun‌ All I was trying to say is that suggesting how it should go, i.e. proposals as well as questions would probably be more productive than just saying it sucks. That doesn't really do anything for anybody. E.g. if you want an event for your House/City so that Iocun can roll with it in an IC manner, then what kind of event do you want? How should it go? While the nitty-gritty will be the city/house-leaders and the Garden, this is the opportunity to voice everything from everybody else so what you need and want can get included in the planning.

I never said anything sucks. I have voiced an opinion on how I hope it will not be implemented and how I hope it will be implemented instead. I said that I'd prefer houses to go with a boom and stated the reasons why I think so. Now, I agree that this isn't the same as a detailed, fleshed-out idea, but I thought this thread was more for a general discussion of the whole idea, than a discussion of what to do specifically with each house, as that's probably beyond the scope of the forum and should be handled by "those in charge". If my posts are really seen as unconstructive and whiney, I apologize, but it's the best I can do.

• Nim said:

@Aalm: I personally think it'd be cool if knighthood became a bit more distilled - less about having the right class, and much more about having the right attitude and being able to consistently prove it. If any class can become a knight (and once multiclass comes around, short of a silly "you're only a knight in knight mode" rule, this will inevitably become true anyway, so it's best to prepare for it I think), then I think raising the difficulty of becoming one might be in order as well, to keep it as a relatively uncommon symbol of prestige and being awesome.

@Nim : To some extent it's possible and has been done, as there are non-Knight Sirs and Dames around. But some classes seem incompatible with Knighthood due to class philosophy, especially Jesters. From my observation, there's a lot of tradition involved, it would be really unfortunate to have to dump all that. If it could be integrated into the new system, that would be nice, but to dump it entirely, I don't think would be good.

• Aalm said:
    Arcturus said:
    Aalm said:

Just my two cents.

@Arcturus : You and I both know a Knightly house can't be wiped out and replaced with a clan. If High Clans were beefed up with a lot of new options, then perhaps yes. I don't think the full experience can exist without factors such as raising funds, having a hall, and being able to build icons, which Knights are often really well-situated to defend.

Who said anything about replacing them? Just change them to be clan organisations run by the city.

The Knights in Cyrene are there to protect Cyrene. Cyrene can have an org-owned clan that continues that tradition... with all the same help files, all the same requirements, all the same ranks, etc etc.

I'm sure you'll still have Icons to readily defend. Will they be your very own? Probably if you do decided to join a house that has one. But if you choose not to, that's your choice.

The biggest part of being a Knight is the 'grueling training you go through to earn that Sir or Dame and feel on top of the world' 

^^ all of that can be done... in a city owned CLAN. You can make it a requirement to get all these things in this CLAN done so you can have that title...

• @Aalm: A class is just a set of actions. The jester example might be a bit extreme, but if there can be Mhaldorian or Targossian jesters, then why not knightly jesters? If you can manage to uphold honor and excellence both on the battlefield and off, that's the main thing.

I get that there are traditions that say otherwise, but they strongly depend on a character being tied to a single class. What happens when you knight someone who's a runewarden, and they decide to multiclass as a jester or some other seemingly unknightly class?

• KerriaKerria The Red Lioness

I don't quite agree with the Knightly jesters.... but I don't disagree with em either. 

Think of a Knight, what do you see? Someone who's in shining armour? Knight classes, you know. Those guys. They are knight classes for a reason.... Tradition.

Yes it could be made into a clan or just a city thing, but then you have people who have striven all of their IG lives to do all this work and make themselves, rp themselves, into being the perfect Knight. Relegated to 'well anyone can do it because of multiclass' or 'the city can handle it' when some cities have problems recognizing their own hard workers because of slightly less than perfected systems of favours. 

Even if it were a Knight house of some sort, and the house being primarily combat, the Wardens wont exist. Period. Take it to a clan doesn't work, because then it's a clan while people are focused on their city or houses. The city, for above mentioned reasons, and city rules have far too much on their plates already to try and work rp in with a knight training system.

The Wardens put years into developing what it calls for in Knights. As a New House maybe they'll keep up with the 'militaristic style' but even then, you'll likely only have rank going to the best combatants.... who then will likely only be a handful at best in Cyrene... something that has nearly killed a House... because Peace.

• While I'm not in a House, and never have been, it'd be a shame if the Knightly Houses, like the Maldaathi, the Wardens, and the former Paladin House, went the way of the dodo. Restricting certain classes, like Jesters, from joining, would be one of the things to hash out. I can see having cities like Targossas, Cyrene, and Mhaldor keeping their Knight Houses as one of the three, with I. G. justification.

• KerriaKerria The Red Lioness
    You kinda proven what I said though....

Knighthood in Cyrene at least, IS about prowess and moral standing, 
    Not who did the best job kissing arse and receiving a pretentious title.

Kerria said:
    You kinda proven what I said though....

Knighthood in Cyrene at least, IS about prowess and moral standing, 
    Not who did the best job kissing arse and receiving a pretentious title.

That's how it is in general, from my experience, not just in Cyrene. Also, my point was, regardless of the martial prowess and moral standing, it's generally understood that being a Knight comes with the underlying requirement of being of a knightly (referring to skillset) class(Infernal/Runewarden/Blademaster), the common combat denominator being that they train specifically with swords....like a Knight, and they generally required to conduct themselves within a certain manner. I added BM because it started being included in knight programs when it was released, and is now slowly being tested out to further extent with this latest announcement. 

It would be good to see, as a result of this change, that Knighthood would retain its practical sense and traditional culture of training and not devolve into a honourary merit based on general city service. This is easily managed with clans, and has been done to some extent for years (Knights of Hashan | Steel Bastion) already.

• @Iocun‌ Gotcha. Perhaps my misunderstanding then. I agree it should be discussed and hammered out as far as implementation. And I wholeheartedly agree that something dramatic should need to happen to somewhat "realistically" shift everything. As far as an actual idea - I am not an expert on Cyrenian history or philosophy and it would have to be tailored to each City. 

Probably the main thing to keep it believable IC would I think to have some event that would make the City and House Leaders realize that everybody would be better off if Houses were focused around purpose instead of Classes. This would make them more dynamically able to achieve their purpose and thus forward the purpose of the City. 

Could open the door for some historic RP events if maybe shades of ancient Cyrenian heros started following and speaking to City and House Leaders that times must change. Or a new future was dawning, or whatever. That could also be super-lame, too. Could be battle-oriented or purely RP or whatever. As it'll have to make sense for that city/house they'll have to give some feedback - which could be made part of the planning when coordinating with the Garden.

The Truths hurt. Always.
  • Kyrra said:
    In Cyrene, it's pretty much about the arse kissing for any form of advancement. Speak out about anything and you get thrown out. Just ask @Aerek‌ as an example.

Also, why did the Garden have to start with Cyrene? Nothing gets done there and they don't even want an active Patron. Way to slow down the system :(

I honestly worked my arse off to get Knighted. I don't know the full extent of what happened with Aerek, but when I was HoN - which was before I was knighted - if I had issue with something, I talked to Ariettie or Naomh (who were my superiors at the time) and got it straightened out or discussed.  If I did any sort of arse-kissing, it's because that is how I am and it would be perceived as ass-kissing because, generally speaking, all I want to do is help.

As for active Patron, I think Scarlatti is active, and even Phaestus was insanely active when I was still around as Senator, but if They aren't active, it's not really the city/player-base's fault IMO.

meh

• BronislavBronislav Maryland
    Kyrra said:
    In Cyrene, it's pretty much about the arse kissing for any form of advancement. Speak out about anything and you get thrown out. Just ask @Aerek‌ as an example.

Also, why did the Garden have to start with Cyrene? Nothing gets done there and they don't even want an active Patron. Way to slow down the system :(

It might be because Cyrene has more culturally diverse interests beyond "Murder X amount of people who disagree with me every month." WHOOPS, DID I SAY THAT OUT LOUD!?

This might be digressing a bit, but if we're talking cultural diversity, by standards, Cyrene is likely Canada and Ashtan is probably South Africa. Just saying.

• I think perhaps people are misunderstanding my point a tad bit. When I say jester knights are legitimate, I mean people who bend over backward making the concept of a jester work in the theme of being a symbol of excellence, a servant of Cyrene (Wardens) or Sartan (Maldaathi), and honorable in the course of all things.

If you go around acting like the world's worst CIJ recruit, you should probably fail to get knighted. It should not be because your class skill set has things like tarot cards or puppets, but because you're a child not a Sir or a Dame.

Likewise, as many shadowy, thieving, scoundrel-type serpents as there are, it is entirely possible to be an upstanding, moral, master-of-arms style serpent. Just ask @Iocun (but don't tell him he's actually a serpent, just ensure him that dirks are definitely a weapon specialization option in Tekura, and Telepathy totally lets you hypnotise people, and of course the control one gets over ones own body from being a Kaido master lets you process and create venoms)

Nim said:

I think perhaps people are misunderstanding my point a tad bit. When I say jester knights are legitimate, I mean people who bend over backward making the concept of a jester work in the theme of being a symbol of excellence, a servant of Cyrene (Wardens) or Sartan (Maldaathi), and honorable in the course of all things.

Might be because simply living by a moral code or having skill in your class have never been the only requirements for knighthood. The long-time accepted pre-requisites for knighthood have generally been a) training hard and become proficient with a sword(s) and b) being of a class that utilizes sword(s) as their primary weapon. That's basically what it's always boiled down to mechanically, which, in my opinion, should be preserved, not dissolved into an honorary system to reward good behaviour or combat prowess.

• @Kresslack: You're telling a blademaster that those puny things that take 10+ hits to break a single limb are "swords?" Oversized dirks, maybe...

• BronislavBronislav Maryland
    Kresslack said:

This might be digressing a bit, but if we're talking cultural diversity, by standards, Cyrene is likely Canada and Ashtan is probably South Africa. Just saying.

You know, my response to this was initially irritation. And then I actually Wikipedia'd South Africa. And now I'm looking at Canada. The comparisons are telling to the point where I'm not entirely sure where you're getting at.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BRAIN, SIR!?