Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

House Renaissance

Comments

• TarazaTaraza Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Renaissance is more than just a few things that people are singling out over all. Everyone has a different prospective and the Gamemakers and business administration have to constantly contemplate ways of not only providing new ideas, but to bring in a profit base for them to continue to have a living. 

Everyone knows the cost of living sucks now days.

Achaea is to be an enriched roleplaying environment, true. 

But how does one make a profit off of that? Expansion and new ideas. 

As @Carmain says there's nothing wrong with it. 

Don't be so negative about the Renaissance. Here is a great opportunity to establish a larger playerbase, an even more enriched roleplaying environment, and expansion of profits to make @Tecton and @Sarapis happy. 

Tharvis
  • ValdusValdus AustraliaMember Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Korben said:
    Prythe said:

Renaissance = new way to try and engage and retain customers in order to maximize profits.
    The Renaissance is a fix for cities with troublesome House/City interaction and low-membership Houses. The playerbase has declined and many orgs that should have been retired were left on life support. This drives away newbies (few as they are) and hurts IRE's bottom line but it's also bad for the players. IRE has been consolidating orgs for a while; Orders were consolidated with Bal'met, now it's time for Houses.
    Replying to bolded.

I'm not saying it's not true, or that you're wrong or anything. It's just that I look at the utter powerhouse Achaea is and then look at Imperian these days and your statement about decline just makes me giggle my ass off.

As someone who has played Imperian since the beginning and seen it die, I have a ridiculously silly urge to dress up like a hipster and be all "We were doing declining playerbases before they were cool!" Or like, do a Bane impersonation from Batman and be all "You merely adopted the decline. I was born in it, molded by it."

Tee hee.

Sorry, I've had a lot of sugar tonight.

Viva la Bluef.
    AchimrstKorbenMaegaShirszae
  • SynbiosSynbios Member Posts: 4,623 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Much as I enjoyed my brief time in Lusternia and Midkemia, I find a lot more activity and life in Achaea.

KyrraKuy
  • ValkyreValkyre Member Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Bronislav said:
    Arador said:
    What if I really do not want to? What if I would like to play someone with Serpent class that duels honourably and does not steal?
    You join Cyrene.

ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Just be prepared for the inexorably slow movement of bureaucracy. I don't even know how long it's been since I sent my application letter.

lol i kid #notkidding

BluefTrillianaEvviShara
  • ZukoZuko Member Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Which city are we on again? Eleusis or Hashan? (In regards to renaissance)
    Targossas, Cyrene, Mhaldor, Hashan, Eleusis, Ashtan?
  • TarkanianTarkanian Member Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I think Eleusis is next.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoMember Posts: 3,269 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    It is Eleusis' turn now. Then Hashan. Then Ashtan.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• JulesJules Member Posts: 2,169 @ - Epic Achaean
    As an add-on to a few of the comments in the last page or so, another effect of multi-class will be that people will tend to have more invested in a single char than ever, so players will take the possibility of shrubbings more seriously than ever (or at least you'd think so).  That should generally be a good thing.  
    HerenicusTael
  • RispokRispok Member Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Necroing this with a spin.

Is there a reason that the Merchants are being restricted for class, other than because cityless comes after city? The Virtuosi are basically knockoff merchants, and they have no class restrictions.

@Tecton, @Sarapis, @Valnurana‌

I have tried to think of a reason, but can't fathom one, why it's not as simple as just removing the limitations. We don't require total overhaul like the rest of the broken cities. We require zero overhaul, except having no class restrictions.
    Bluef
  • AustereAustere TennesseeMember Posts: 2,291 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Rispok said:

Is there a reason that the Merchants are being restricted for class, other than because cityless comes after city? The Virtuosi are basically knockoff merchants, and they have no class restrictions.

I have tried to think of a reason, but can't fathom one, why it's not as simple as just removing the limitations. We don't require total overhaul like the rest of the broken cities. We require zero overhaul, except having no class restrictions.
    Pff, wait in line. Joking!  Seriously, though, why not just open up all the houses?  At least then, we can all spend a ton of cash changing classes before you release multiclass and we regret it. 
  • AmarillysAmarillys Member Posts: 797 @ - Epic Achaean
    Rispok said:

Have you asked your Patron?

Bluef
  • TrillianaTrilliana Member Posts: 1,989 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Rispok said:

False for two reasons. 1- Their main focus is arts. Visual, Performance, writing, The last "program" are the design paths. There's no requirement to have any tradeskill either

And there -is- class restriction because the City has class restrictions ;)
    meh

ShirszaeKerria
  • TaelTael Member Posts: 1,197 @ - Epic Achaean
    Rispok said:

Are the Merchants necessarily staying a House?

It seems to me like it would make way more sense for them to become a High Clan.
  • RispokRispok Member Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Tael said:
    Rispok said:

It seems to me like it would make way more sense for them to become a High Clan.
    Not sure how to phrase this in a way that won't seem belittling, but yes we are, and no it wouldn't.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to make Shallam a High Clan? Also no.

Did it make sense to turn the Serpentlords, a house that had minimal activity and was hated by a significant portion of the game, into a high clan? Not my call.

The Merchants are a thriving institution with a rich history. They were one of two houses who actually took advantage of the change from guild to house. The other being the Bards, but... Yeah. The Bards. The Merchants work well as a house, because they have house related things that only houses can have. Examples include a hatchery, enchanting rooms, non-decay storage, a master crystal, credits, a tutor, denizen shops...

I don't want to sound like I'm just being defensive, but no, you're mistaken on this one.
    JukilianShirszaeNimTyamat
  • TaelTael Member Posts: 1,197 @ - Epic Achaean
    I don't see how having a rich history or an active playerbase has much to do with it. Or how only houses can have those things you mention - I'm pretty sure being able to have things like those and own property was one of the main stated reasons high clans were added to the game in the first place. And it looks like post-renaissance houses don't necessarily have those things anymore and they're instead tied to cities rather than houses (I know it's that way in Mhaldor for instance).

I feel like you read my question as being about the the Merchants being demoted to a high clan, but high clans are functionally very similar to houses. It wouldn't be a demotion. And now that houses are much more closely tied to cities, casting citiless houses as high clans seems like it makes a certain amount of sense.

(I'm not really sure what the thing about Shallam was supposed to illustrate.)
  • JukilianJukilian Member Posts: 1,579 @ - Epic Achaean
    It would be a demotion.

As far as I'm aware, High Clans don't get stuff like enchanting rooms, non-decay storage, Master Crystals, etc. That stuff is House/City stuff only. High Clans are not the same as Houses, Houses have much more structure to it.

Here's a question for you.

Why should the Merchants become a High Clan instead of a House? I see no reason why it needs to be done.
    RispokShirszaeNimTrilliana
  • VayneVayne Rhode IslandMember Posts: 1,897 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited January 2015
    Tael said:
    Rispok said:

Would you care to expound on how it makes way more sense to you? I see no reason that it should be demoted nor why the admins would be inclined to do so.

edit: my real question is why isn't Eleuss done yeeeeet.
    RangorTekkGhiaMelodie
  • KhairtKhairt Member Posts: 279 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    edited January 2015
    Don't worry. I'm sure it's Svein.

MishgulUlrike
  • RangorRangor Member Posts: 3,269 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    It will be svein, Vayne. Soon now. Right? plz tecton, say it will be soon.
    KhairtMishgulRomUlrike
  • NimNim Member Posts: 2,015 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited January 2015
    The merchants being a cityless house makes sense because it gives rogues house options, and because simply not having a city is about the only way to truly be neutral, thereby increasing the number of people you can deal with. On the contrary, why not make city-based houses into high clans, in cities Targossis or Cyrene, where houses represent gameplay style, and it would make sense for people to want to be in multiple at once?
    ShirszaeTrilliana
  • MishgulMishgul ROTHERHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMember Posts: 5,372 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    It's always Svein

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
    KhairtVayneUlrike
Sign In to Comment.