Gold Sinks

Comments

• I didn't state anything new, I simply summarized several statements, largely from Tecton, that various ideas are not, and will not be considered.
  • Gonna go out on a limb then and say that all of those ideas could be summarized by 'take what you are currently selling for credits and sell it for gold'.
  • Peak said:
    @Sarapis @Tecton

5 item gold auction every quarter.

As multiple people have already pointed out, gold auctions are basically irrelevant to the gold economy.
  • edited March 2014
    I'm in big favor of the gold market being stable.  And I think everyone should be able to buy whatever they want with whatever they are able to produce, regardless of the quantity.  Am I doing something wrong by bashing?  Bashing with the arties I bought, for bashing, from Achaea.com?  (and from bashing)

It was pretty dickish to call out IRE like that, the game staff has been really awesome, especially lately.  I hope that a character assassination isn't the only way to handle my point, however.  With that said, it's your prerogative to accept or deny any and all ideas generated from the playerbase, it's your business.
  • You can't have a stable market plus unlimited supply/demand/gold. Either one of those is going to fuck it up. 

• @Shecks I'm not attacking you, but I am pointing out that you're literally championing two ideas that are directly at odds with each other. 

Of course you're not doing anything wrong by bashing all you want, btw. In no system would we limit you from bashing all you want. What we might do, however, is adjust the rewards from doing so, as we've done in the past (including multiple times in the past year).
  • Make admin-run bound credit lotteries. 

• Are you trolling, @Mithridates?
  • Make the highways tollroads, and add agro bandit NPC's to the routes through the wilderness that kill you/take your money. Problem solved. 

• edited March 2014
    The fact that the credit market is as stable as it is is pretty incredible.  With gold generation that's pretty constant, and USD credit sales that fluctuate dramatically, seeing the market fluctuate even under 10% is impressive, but it actually stays under 3% most of the time, and if it creeps up or down, it does so very slowly.  Personally I don't think 6-7000 is that problematic, but I do see it slowly creeping up.  However, I think that the recent hike is mostly due to the blowback from the huge success that was the globe promotion, followed by the history talisman promotion, which as a credit purchaser, is quite a turn-off.  People not wanting to buy credits, or simply "waiting" (as I am) for the next promotion, is probably the #1 reason for increased credit prices, because as of now, fewer people are buying them (and subsequently selling them), while bashers continue to buy credits from CFS.  If a Mayan crown promotion started tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see credits drop as low as 62-6300 within 3 RL days.  After such a sale, however, they'd probably jump right back up.
  • edited March 2014
    This is one of the most successful promotions thus far in the past 12 months actually.

It is interesting though how relatively stable the credit market is. I think there's a psychological anchoring component to it. "Everybody" knows credits are worth somewhere between 6k and 7k. It can still certainly drift below or above that but I suspect that's one factor in why it's not wildly swinging.

• We've only had two Talisman promotions (I think?), and yeah, they've both been popular. 
  • edited March 2014
    @Cooper

1) I've already bashed for ~15 (actual) days since I bought them.  I've bashed for well over 800 credits in that time.  It's hardly ridiculous for me to expect to pay off half of the artefacts this year, if not within the next few months, and perhaps all of them if I continue to play Achaea for a few more years.  By your math, adjusted for your bad input, puts me at 32% paid off already, although it's actually closer to about 15%.

2)  I make -far- more than 45k an hour.  Closer to 125-140k counting talismans, 80-90k without.

3)  All of my artefacts, in some form or another, are also good in PVP, so none of them are -completely- for bashing aside from crit pendant.

4)  Essence generation leading to TFs is a huge boost to PVP, and bashing faster allows me to have them nearly constantly.

5)  Survivability makes you bash faster.  Even with everything I have, plus runes, I can't max out route times without favors.  Saying otherwise is just as if not more stupid than what you're trying to paint me out to be.

6)  Nothing in Achaea is for "profit".  I bought artefacts for the same reason everyone does, to improve my character a little bit (with a side hope of not dying in 10 seconds to artied monks).  Bashing faster was a big part of it, but was hardly the only reason I chose to do so.  I think anyone with arties who bashes can say the same, including yourself.
  • Actually, I took some time to reflect and...

You're right.  I'm completely lying about everything, and my only goal in posting any of that was to deceive the masses into my conspiracy theory that I can bash more than I can actually bash.  Busted.
  • It's like Mt. Gox all over again.

• I honestly can't tell if he's trolling or not. This is messing with my emotions :'(
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Let's keep it civil and on-topic, gents.
  • Jovolo said:
    Lesson purchases! 400,000 gold for 850 lessons. 200,000 gold for 425 lessons. 100,000 gold for 200 lessons. 50,000 gold for 85 lessons. Eta: please. Just one addition of many! Give the middlegrounders between novices and omni-trans to work towards and incentivize big gold sinks while rewarding for immense efforts with basic resources - using their class skills!
    This is definitely a no, then?
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Jovolo said:
    Jovolo said:
    Lesson purchases! 400,000 gold for 850 lessons. 200,000 gold for 425 lessons. 100,000 gold for 200 lessons. 50,000 gold for 85 lessons. Eta: please. Just one addition of many! Give the middlegrounders between novices and omni-trans to work towards and incentivize big gold sinks while rewarding for immense efforts with basic resources - using their class skills!
    seems a bit... very cheap, compared to credits. The bigger packages anyway. the 50,000 gold for 85 lessons sounds about on par if you compare them to credit prices of a year ago (aka 4K per credit).
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Tharvis said:
    Jovolo said:
    Jovolo said:
    seems a bit... very cheap, compared to credits. The bigger packages anyway. the 50,000 gold for 85 lessons sounds about on par if you compare them to credit prices of a year ago (aka 4K per credit).
    Well, they should be much cheaper than credits.

Lessons do exactly one thing, and will only ever do exactly one thing.  Credits, however, have such a variety of uses that any ten people could want them for different reasons.

Those same ten people will want lessons for exactly one thing.  (This is, of course, unless something has drastically been changed of which I am unaware.)
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • edited March 2014
    This point of having them cheaper than credit equivalents is because if they were the same - you could just buy the credits instead. As Kuy pointed out, credits have a variety of uses from being converted into gold, lessons, artifacts or mayan crowns, whereas lessons will always only be used to increase a character's skills. I still put them at slightly above how much you can purchase house and city credits at, because you don't want to make such a method of gold sink too lucrative. 

It also just makes starting up and investing time in a character more rewarding and frankly addicting than having to grind for many, many, many (read; Too many) hours to get like 40% access to only your class skills at most. 

It also would be seriously effective as a gold sink. I bet plenty of people would earn and throw down 400k gold for 850 lessons, which isn't even half a transcendent skill, and still a lot of money, so the long-lasting potential of this is not arguable as I see it. There will always be people in this game that want, need, and will use a slightly easier method of transcending their character''s skills.
  • When is the next lesson sale?

Anticipating multiclass I think there are probably some people that will buy 5 classes worth (26,040) lessons and others at least half as much. Jingle jangle.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • You reach into your stocking and pull out some gold sovereigns.

You have 124 items and 8190 gold sovereigns.

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Xith said:
    When is the next lesson sale?

Anticipating multiclass I think there are probably some people that will buy 5 classes worth (26,040) lessons and others at least half as much. Jingle jangle.
    That strikes me as being an incredibly silly thing to do considering there are no details about multiclass available yet.
  • edited March 2014
    Jovolo said:
    This point of having them cheaper than credit equivalents is because if they were the same - you could just buy the credits instead. As Kuy pointed out, credits have a variety of uses from being converted into gold, lessons, artifacts or mayan crowns, whereas lessons will always only be used to increase a character's skills. I still put them at slightly above how much you can purchase house and city credits at, because you don't want to make such a method of gold sink too lucrative. 

It also just makes starting up and investing time in a character more rewarding and frankly addicting than having to grind for many, many, many (read; Too many) hours to get like 40% access to only your class skills at most. 

It also would be seriously effective as a gold sink. I bet plenty of people would earn and throw down 400k gold for 850 lessons, which isn't even half a transcendent skill, and still a lot of money, so the long-lasting potential of this is not arguable as I see it. There will always be people in this game that want, need, and will use a slightly easier method of transcending their character''s skills.
    We'd never sell lessons for gold, especially considering you can already just use the credit market to buy the credits to buy the lessons.