Change To Contracts / Marks

Comments

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    I can see the validity of both arguments as to why it should and shouldn't be allowed to hire a Mark that is an enemy, but I'm leaning more toward being against getting a Mark that is an enemy of my org. I've hired a wide array of Marks in the past for org business, but always avoided hiring one that was an enemy.

Also, if a Mark can't be hired on someone they share an org with, can they be hired on someone in a city they are allied to?
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Really not looking forward to a full list of contracts I can't get on at the same time as to even challenge. :( And odds of that are pretty high since I can only really play regular oceanic times now.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• @Katzchen I'm pretty sure it only hires you if you're logged on, and on the same plane.  So theoretically they should play around the same time as you - ish.
  • Marks that fail to kill their targets will eventually stop getting contracts due to the ranking system. If anything this fixes the problem and makes it so the only people that can complete contracts stay mark, whereas before those people could keep mark status and collect easy contracts on occassion.

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• I don't agree with the assumption that assassins should be willing to kill whoever and whenever. 'Assassin' is a character identity, but it doesn't automatically turn you into somebody with no standards or integrity. Saying the mark orgs shouldn't be affiliated with any city doesn't change the fact that people in different cities can and should be able to play their characters as assassins.

Limiting certain cities to only one or the other of the mark orgs, when both "orgs" exist as mere flavour text to assist in character development, seems unnecessarily stifling. There's no IC reason why you couldn't be a Targossian assassin, for instance, but that would be impossible from a mechanics standpoint, since there's only one way to be recognised as an assassin, and only one source of assassination contracts - the Quisalis Mark.

I'm not really a fan of mechanics that get in the way of character development, and see no reason why the admins couldn't just include something to broaden the availability of these systems to everybody.

• If some well-known marks keep bringing well-known teamers to settle contracts, I'm sure the contract distribution will soon be back to where it was before.
  • This is exciting as balls.

• Shecks said:

If some well-known marks keep bringing well-known teamers to settle contracts, I'm sure the contract distribution will soon be back to where it was before.
    It's okay, buddy. One day you might get to be a well known mark, too. Hang in there!

So hard to type that with a straight face :(

• Silas said:
    I'm going to be a goldsink and singlehandedly fix the credit market.

@Silas - the hero that the Achaean Credit Market deserves.

• Dunn said:
    This is exciting as balls.
    Actually yeah - There has not been enough happiness expressed, I think.  For me personally, I love this change.  I can see where a few people wouldn't like some things, but some of those things, at least, were changed intentionally.  And as was said, we're looking at a few changes down the line.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited February 2014
    Sena said:
    Dji said:
    Sounds interesting, but with the contracts handed out at random, what's to stop a mark getting a contract on a friend and then just not bothering to try to complete it?

It's not like no one in Achaea is friends with someone in a different city.
    That was already possible before, you just had to be proactive about it and not be well known to the hirer.

As it is, it looks like the only real deterrent is the reputation loss. I'm not sure how significant that is.
    Edit: Jarrod answered this.

Jarrod said:
    If you make a habit of ignoring contracts, you'll lose reputation and get progressively fewer contracts.

Contrarily, if you're exceptionally proactive about contracts, you can get a high rank and will get more contracts. This means that you could potentially have a higher chance of getting a friends' contract, and effectively use your reputation to pardon them. You'll still be penalized, but we don't know how weighty that is.

• They really, really, need to show who hired, in game.  It's entirely possible for people to just anonymously hire marks a thousand times in a row, without cause, with zero consequence.

• What's the message you get when you get killed by a Mark for a contract? 
  • The messages for contract failure/fulfillment are the same as previously, just with an appended reason for the death.
  • So you get the "This assassination was paid for by hirer" message? Surely that makes it not anonymous.
  • Apparently it was a bug, caused by contracts from before the change not having a reason supplied.  All good now.  I thought that was supposed to be how it worked... which would be aweful.
  • edited February 2014
    Shecks said:
    They really, really, need to show who hired, in game.  It's entirely possible for people to just anonymously hire marks a thousand times in a row, without cause, with zero consequence.

I'm pretty sure that:
    1. You can only have one contract per person at a time.
    2. You can only have a total of five contracts at any one time.
    3. You find out who hired on you when the contract is resolved.

Also, minimum cost of a contract is 5k, so "a thousand times" would be 5 million gold. Could they hire on you a lot? Well, I suppose so, but if they don't have valid reasons those are going to be pretty clear if the admin get involved.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Silas said:
    Offshoots of the Quisalis mark in the same sense would be nice.

ETA: If the local chapters specifically distanced themselves from their parent organisations, naturally.

I don't understand what you're asking for. On one hand, you want "openness" in the Ivory Mark aka cut out the middlemen because of the possible conflicts of interest. Then @Feral mentions a really good idea to make Ivory Mark "local chapter"-based. Since, from what I'm reading, your RP has issues with the new mark system, you are asking for Ivory Mark to essentially be no different than the entire system pre-changes. And THEN, on the other hand, you ask for something similar for Quisalis - the same organization that presents a conflict with your RP?!?!

The only thing that makes sense to me out of this is, because you all don't have houses yet, you think you can present your victim cards and somehow have your cake and eat it too. It's mindblowing.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Santar said:
    I just looked over both mark lists in full. There's roughly 81 total mark members. Out of that list, I counted 41 that haven't touched a fight in at least the last RL month or are generally incompetent/useless.

I was being nice when I made that count, too. If I wanted to be a jerk, probably could've raised that number to 75%.

Sucks for the people that are hiring that all their contracts are going to get eaten up by that 50-75% of marks. Hope the system balances out.

For me personally, it's a big hit, because I pretty much got any and all contracts I wanted before. Where now I'm going to be getting a very small percentage of that.

Also, lol'd:

(Argent Ward): Silas says, "I'm going to stubbornly refuse to quit mark."

(Argent Ward): Silas says, "And keep the honours, and keep wasting people's 
    contracts."
    (Argent Ward): Silas says, "That's 5k gold those people will never see again."
    I think the system will balance that out for sure. Though what you're saying will likely be the way things are for a while until that happens.

And for situations like your paste, there should be a special honors line for the lowest 25% that says something like "He/She is only in the Ivory/Quisalis Mark for the honors line." 
  • edited February 2014
    @Silas the funny the is, nothing has changed in what this means for Targ. You're still supporting an org that employs those people or you're not. You're no longer allowed to glaze over the fact by not thinking about, but that was the case in the past and that's the case now.

Edit: You can say you don't support how the Quisalis spends money. It's pretty laughable when 75% of Targ's contracts go to Quisalis though. You can also say you don't support funding enemies, when the other 25% of the contracts fund an organization that (rightly) employs Jhui. Either way, you have no leg to stand on. There were no changes made to what it means to hire a Mark from either org, you're just complaining because what it means is obvious now.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited February 2014
    It would be nice if people who purposefully didn't fulfill contracts not only took a reputation hit but as they neared the bottom tiers came closer and closer to that final rank where another failed contract simply ended in them being cast out of the system all together and unable to rejoin for a specific amount of time. 
  • This is a great change, and really, I think it addresses the most glaring kind of arpee pitfalls.  I have no problem with an enemy "taking out" another enemy through an anonymous contract.  Not knowing absolves me of all responsibility, just like in the real world :P  In all seriousness, I do think it's the best way to get things done here.  Like Makarios said, they're willing to tweak, but the bones of it look sound because they take typical player behavior and imbalances in which orgs have the most skilled Marks into account.  Mark never had a stellar RP aspect anyway, and the bits it *did* have were directly counter-productive to Mark being a viable tool of retribution for most.  
  • edited February 2014
    Jarrod said:
    @Silas the funny the is, nothing has changed in what this means for Targ. You're still supporting an org that employs those people or you're not. You're no longer allowed to glaze over the fact by not thinking about, but that was the case in the past and that's the case now.

Edit: You can say you don't support how the Quisalis spends money. It's pretty laughable when 75% of Targ's contracts go to Quisalis though. You can also say you don't support funding enemies, when the other 25% of the contracts fund an organization that (rightly) employs Jhui. Either way, you have no leg to stand on. There were no changes made to what it means to hire a Mark from either org, you're just complaining because what it means is obvious now.
    You're dumb.

Targossas's most active mark is was (edit: lol) Quisalis, yes, but this discussion was ongoing in Targ before these changes happened because of that, with ideas on how to get around the weird pseudo-RP of the Mark orgs already being proposed. The Ivory Mark employing Jhui really has no bearing on Targossians being in the Ivory Mark, because he's paid only by the contracts he fills, the gold from which comes directly from the people that hire him. The orgs themselves take a cut of the hiring fee, though, which is why it's problematic for Targossas to have Quisalis Marks, an issue brought into focus by Santar being Quisalis and there being no IC reason why he (and others in Targossas who prefer the RP of assassin vs champion) should have to be champions rather than assassins.

If you still don't understand the difference, then, like Achimrst, you can assume I'm not talking to you and we'll both be the happier.

• edited February 2014
    There's a difference between being an assassin and being a Quisalis Assassin.

If you don't understand the difference, then you'll never be happy with Mark changes and you should quit while you're behind.

Edit: Also lol'd at is/was change.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• I fully agree that there's a difference between being an assassin and being a Quisalis Assassin. My point thus far regarding that has been that I find mechanical restrictions that stop people being able to be hired as assassins, with the only org that offers assassination contracts being the Quisalis Mark, pretty lame. But that's only really tangential to the underlying issues caused by this change.