Change To Contracts / Marks

Comments

• Shecks said:
    It's kinda pointless to put a high price on a contract if you don't know who's going to get it.
    Wait a few weeks for the fail marks to lose stance and chance at getting the contract is my thought. 

Accipiter said:
    Maybe make it so that Assassins can reject if the price is too low, and Ivory can see who took out the contract and can reject on that.
    Also, disagreed because you have to take my measly 5 gold for the contract get to it! and I don't want the mark knowing who I am just kill the dude and you can see my name all day long!
  • When you complete a contract it should not show who/what you completed it for.  In Xer's post those could of went to say...a Targ mark like Sothantos.  So he gets a contract on Edris and completes it...and lo and behold it was for a Mhaldorian!....Hurray...

The Mark "agency" should act as the go between hiding both the hirer and the mark on both ends.  They should in theory never know who each other are - this is how real world groups operate.  Both parties have plausible deny-ability.  To further this the messages about completed contracts should be once a day at the serenade, via a letter.  This helps the mark stay more anonymous from the hirer.

The Ivory concern.  As in real life, agents/killers get contracts on people they do not wish to complete - this should stay in the game.  Their reputation as a get it done killer then diminishes, seems right to me.

Good changes, needs polish though.

• If you revert Ivory mark to how it was, every single mark will just change to Ivory Mark.  Screw that.
  • edited February 2014
    Triak said:
    The Ivory concern.  As in real life, agents/killers get contracts on people they do not wish to complete - this should stay in the game.  Their reputation as a get it done killer then diminishes, seems right to me.
    Should the Ivory and Quisalis Marks be functionally identical then, with the primary difference being the line shown in honours?

Having the only difference (from an non-mark's perspective) be flavour text and the occasional event would work well enough, but I think I'd prefer if they served slightly different purposes, with meaningful reasons for a hirer to choose one over the other.
  • Silas, do you even play Achaea?  Or do you just play forums?
  • edited February 2014
    Way to (intentionally) miss the point.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Silas said:
    Seems like a pretty lazy overhaul, with no real consideration for the differences in factions and how they operate. It's no surprise to me that people in Ashtan think it's fine that people should just do whatever, because freedom lol. Other orgs hold their members accountable for their actions, and this system makes no allowances for that as far as I can see.
    Tbh I see a random made up rp reason for this system to exist in targ (like back in shallam when the hunting list was becoming empty because people were making up random excuses to hunt innocent npcs)

or the complete removal of ivory mark/assassins from targ (pretty sure targ's only allowed Ivory anyways)
    Since from an rp stand point Silas and Sothantos make a good point, Why would we work to possibley be assisting our enemies. 

On a side note who is this Shirzae person and why does she wtf every other post in every other topic, seriously.

• edited February 2014
    As a suggestion to the whole "What happens if a Mark gets a contract on a friend" thing, why not have the Mark able to turn down the contract at the (lowish) cost of reputation, returning the contract to the pool? Can't get a contract for a House, Order, or Citymate, so that should be a bit more justifiable, considering that you're sticking your neck out for a friend. Could even tip off the person that they've got a contract for them, leading to a possibly fun scenario.

This does seem more like a Quisalis thing than a Champion thing, maybe adding in something like the ability to hire a specific person at double (Or more) the base cost? Otherwise, Atlantia or whoever just chooses who looks like they could complete the job.
  • Caladbolg said:
    On a side note who is this Shirzae person and why does she wtf every other post in every other topic, seriously.

No side notes, we're talking about how awesome/terrible marks are now! X(

Also, I personally like the new system a lot on paper - it's exciting and also a little foreboding. I think they probably could have handled the roleplay-related aspects just a tad better, but while there are plenty of champions who would fuss regarding the changes, Nim isn't exactly one of them.

• NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    I feel that either of the two of these needs to happen:

(1) Champions are overhauled using some of the ideas submitted in this thread.
    (2) Champions are removed entirely, and replaced with Assassins.

There is no reason why the two "organizations" ought be idealistically different, but functionally the same. While the prior system was broken, it did allow for some choice/RP on the part of the mark.
  • Nizaris said:
    There is no reason why the two "organizations" ought be idealistically different, but functionally the same. While the prior system was broken, it did allow for some choice/RP on the part of the mark.
    People choosing the mark was literally the entire root of the reason it was changed in the first place.  Taking that away makes marks a zillion times more functional and interesting, for the hirer, mark, and even target.  Really high-end guys will still continue to get more than other people, but at least now being a non-Jhui mark can be interesting again.
  • Shecks said:
    Nizaris said:
    People choosing the mark was literally the entire root of the reason it was changed in the first place.  Taking that away makes marks a zillion times more functional and interesting, for the hirer, mark, and even target.  Really high-end guys will still continue to get more than other people, but at least now being a non-Jhui mark can be interesting again.
    He's saying it allowed the mark to choose/rp which angle to play (assassin v. champion) not allowed some choice of what mark to hire.
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    Eld said:
    Shecks said:
    Nizaris said:
    He's saying it allowed the mark to choose/rp which angle to play (assassin v. champion) not allowed some choice of what mark to hire.
    Yes.

• Well, I'm a big fan of the mark being able to reject the contract, and have it move to the next guy in line.  Maybe make that option just for Ivory Marks.
  • Jarrod said:
    You're not doing jobs for your enemies. You're doing jobs for the Ivory Mark or the Quisalis Mark. Each of those orgs has implications. Ideally, they would put something in to make Ivory slightly different, or appeal more to lower might/ranked people. Cost less but alerts the target someone is out to get them sort of thing. If Targossas doesn't support the Quisalis money for dead people philosophy, then they shouldn't have Quisalis Marks (they do).
    If that is true, then the Ivory Mark needs some way to filter the requests. Out of the box idea, make it so that Champions are paid in xp. It gives a more personal connection to the champion than just money, and makes a fundamental difference between the two orders that seems to be taken away with the new system.
  • edited February 2014
    You're already paid in experience, because you get to kill people you otherwise wouldn't.  Also, gold is already useless (in the quantities we're talking about here), giving bonus experience is a little slanted.  They have also recently removed bonus experience for marks, I don't see it coming back again.

Lets give it a week or two to see how it works out, before criticising it further?

• I have been online since the update, and I still haven't received a single contract.

I think it might not work if you're off plane.  That kinda sucks, and should be reviewed, if so.
  • edited February 2014
    Offshoots of the Quisalis mark in the same sense would be nice.

ETA: If the local chapters specifically distanced themselves from their parent organisations, naturally.

To elaborate further on my post, the problem we have in Targ with the Quisalis org is that they fund kidnapping and torture, so gold paid by citizens of Targossas when they hire a Quisalis assassin as it stands goes towards that funding. What we were looking at before was similar to Feral's suggestion: that we'd get a handwaving event or post from Deucora about a Targossian branch of the Quisalis mark into which all Targossian contracts would be paid. It'd have had no mechanical differences, just a cheap and easy way of allowing Targossas to have assassins, since assassination is absolutely fine under the ideals of the city.

This new change no es bueno.

• Obvious fix here is to make it so only Hashani can be assassins and only Cyreneians(?) can be champions.

More seriously, why not just make it so marks can talk to some denizen to put them on a city-mate only list. If they want to get less contracts at the cost of them being more exclusive then why not?

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• The city-mate only contracts is exactly what this change was put in to stop. Why start suggestions at reverting the biggest part of the change?

Again, you're saying you might be employing enemies or employed by enemies. Neither of these is the case. Quit living in the past Mark system.

If you oppose how the Quisalis spends their money, a local chapter both wouldn't exist and wouldn't change the issue. They're still the Quisalis mark. It isn't some Divine thing to give you your own Mark system, that organization exists and you can do business with it or not. The same is true of the Ivory Mark.

If Targossas decides they don't want to deal with either Mark organization, then that's an incredibly silly decision. It would be easily justifiable in the supposed 'new Good' that as long as the target is slain, those who are oppressed by the other cities are championed, and net positive results occur, it's for the greater Good and is fine.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• That's not how Targossas works. While I and I'm sure everybody else greatly values your input on something you evidently don't know anything about, I'm sure we'll cope if you stop harping on about how things should work for everybody, and how everybody should be satisfied with this change because you like it.

Thank you. :)

• It's "Do whatever we feel like (like inducting Santar) and call it Good, because all the gods who cared about RP quit, and we can do whatever we like."?