Midwest (Michigan/Ohio) Meet Discussion!

Comments

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    I can do this. 
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I'm voting for 28/29.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • It appears if I start school by June, Saturdays will be out of the question for me until next June.  I'd still love to do the Ceder Point trip if this ends up being the case.  I MIGHT start school in September for unrelated reasons, but we'll see how this goes.

I have undressed a god.

• Oh, woah, look at that. A meetup in Ann Arbor? 

Yeah, I think I could do that. Count me in!

• @Averi some more people have spoken up! Update your paste (or make a new one)?

Also, let me at your paste to be CDO and alphabetise so people are more easily found by name? Or do so yourself/have someone else/do it by 'magic?' So long as it gets done, I'd be satisfied.
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Some of us have things called jobs and other responsibilities that must be handled before recreational things lol.

Thank you @Averi for the paste. Can we all agree on which weekend this is going to be and set it in stone asap? I know I'm not the only one here who can't be as spontaneous as I'd like to be.
  • From what I have seen, the 28th and 29th are the official dates. As that is when val tecton and maka are here. And me.
  • Hah, thanks to bad information with financial aid, I am set for both days, if someone doesn't mind dragging me along.

I have undressed a god.

Where you at, @Gibbi?
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jonathin said:

Where you at, @Gibbi?

Royal Oak. Like, that little sliver of RO that may as well also be Troy, Clawson, and Madison at the same time.

I have undressed a god.

• Strata said:
    Some of us have things called jobs and other responsibilities that must be handled before recreational things lol.

Thank you @Averi for the paste. Can we all agree on which weekend this is going to be and set it in stone asap? I know I'm not the only one here who can't be as spontaneous as I'd like to be.
    Should be early enough to get both weekends off. That's what I did. Not easy to do, either!

We should be figuring out where we're staying, if anywhere. There's a lot of 3-star hotels right near Cedar Point. Ohio is so sad.
  • edited April 2014
    Ok, it's official! This meet is going to be June 28 and 29, 2014. Come for one or both days, we would love to meet you!

Assuming we have good weather, @Tecton and I will park ourselves somewhere in the vicinity of Ingalls Mall (the "Top of the Park" venue shown here: http://a2sf.org/visit/festival-site-map/). It is a free outdoor festival. Show up anytime after 1; we will be there for the afternoon. If it's raining we'll figure out something else to do. We will update this post on the day with our location to minimize chances of you walking around and asking strangers "Hello, are you the Goddess of Dreams?"

We'll figure out dinner plans and head to a bar to chill for the rest of the evening. Depending where we go, persons under 21 may be able to join us until 10 or 11 pm (maybe later). Again, we'll keep you updated here with what's going on, so you'll be able to find us if you show up later.

Sunday, June 29 - Cedar Point, Sandusky, OH
    We'll meet outside the front gates between 9:30 and 10 (park is open 10am to 10pm). This is a fantastic theme park with a ton of roller-coasters, plus lots of fun non-roller-coaster rides if you're not a big thrill seeker. Tickets are $50, though you can save money by getting them in advance at places like Meijer or at the hotels near the park.
  • edited April 2014
    For out-of-towners coming by plane: 
    • If you're planning to be here for both days, fly into Detroit (DTW is the airport code). It's about a half hour drive from the airport to downtown Ann Arbor.
    • If you're going to Cedar Point only, then flying to Cleveland (airport code CLE) will be closer. It's about an hour drive to Sandusky.
    Overnight accommodations:
    • If you're staying overnight in Ann Arbor, I'd suggest the area around State Street (exit 177 off I-94). There are a variety of hotel options, it's near Briarwood Mall, lots of places to eat, and heading north on State will take you directly to the festival downtown.
    • If you're doing both days and don't mind driving a short distance on Saturday night, Dundee MI has a good selection of newer hotels with lower rates. It's about a half hour south of Ann Arbor on US-23, directly on the way to Cedar Point, so staying there means you have only an hour and a half drive to Sandusky on Sunday, rather than 2 full hours from Ann Arbor.
    • If you want to stay overnight closer to Cedar Point, there are lots of hotels in the area, some with shuttles that will take you to/from the park, and offer discount tickets. I'm not as familiar with the area but this link will get you started, though I assume the park's "official" hotels are more expensive than other ones.
  • edited April 2014
    Here's a quick map to show where Ann Arbor, Detroit airport, Cedar Point, and Cleveland airport are all located, relative to one another.
    But walking around asking random people "Are you the Goddess of Dreams?" would be a pretty normal day in A2 or Dtown.
  • Won't be able to make those days but hope ya'll have fun! :)

• Valnurana said:
    For out-of-towners coming by plane: 
    • If you're planning to be here for both days, fly into Detroit (DTW is the airport code). It's about a half hour drive from the airport to downtown Ann Arbor.
    • If you're going to Cedar Point only, then flying to Cleveland (airport code CLE) will be closer. It's about an hour drive to Sandusky.
    Overnight accommodations:
    • If you're staying overnight in Ann Arbor, I'd suggest the area around State Street (exit 177 off I-94). There are a variety of hotel options, it's near Briarwood Mall, lots of places to eat, and heading north on State will take you directly to the festival downtown.
    • If you're doing both days and don't mind driving a short distance on Saturday night, Dundee MI has a good selection of newer hotels with lower rates. It's about a half hour south of Ann Arbor on US-23, directly on the way to Cedar Point, so staying there means you have only an hour and a half drive to Sandusky on Sunday, rather than 2 full hours from Ann Arbor.
    • If you want to stay overnight closer to Cedar Point, there are lots of hotels in the area, some with shuttles that will take you to/from the park, and offer discount tickets. I'm not as familiar with the area but this link will get you started, though I assume the park's "official" hotels are more expensive than other ones.
    I was just checking my email and saw this email for Groupon for the Hotel right next to Cedar Point. I figured I post this here for anyone interested. (They're available for the 28/29/30)

• Hotels Breakers is the only one worth staying in. Jacuzzi tubs. Three full beds for multiple roomates.

The park also provides discounts for groups 15 or more. 35$ each.

Meeting at 10am is worrisome, though. That would mean less 4 hours of sleep Saturday night. No one's expecting me to be bright and cheery, though, right?
    suck it up pansy, throw up out the window
    Jonathin said:
    suck it up pansy, throw up out the window on the roller-coasters.
  • Dibs on sitting next to @Strata on the coasters.  >:D<
  • I feel like if you're gonna throw up on roller coasters, you should sit towards the front for the lulz.
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • Sooooo happy I won't be making it to Cedar Point, now.

edited April 2014
    If everything goes according to plan, I'm going to be too hungover to even think about Cedar Point in June. I know many of you don't have the luxury of waking up and saying to yourself "I think I'll go ride roller coasters today.",  hopping in your car and driving 10 minutes and you're there. 

For those of you who want to add something to your trip that doesn't involve dodging Gibbi's vomit, check this place out: www.perryscave.com
  • I am, tentatively, there if anyone wants to chauffeur me around.
    So you're saying you're going to drink me under the table... Sorry. Not possible.
  • Strata said:
    So you're saying you're going to drink me under the table... Sorry. Not possible.
    Bitch, please. I'm going to be there and Tahquil's an Aussie. You couldn't tie our drinking shoes.

Trey said:
    Strata said:
    Bitch, please. I'm going to be there and Tahquil's an Aussie. You couldn't tie our drinking shoes.
    Are you trying to say because you're from d-town you can outdrink me too? I bet both of you soaking wet standing on a freight scale wouldn't add up to my fatass with my boots off. Alooooot of room for alchohol in this blood :)
  •  next meet in the middle east. Hope you like sand.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Strata said:
    Trey said:
    Strata said:
    Are you trying to say because you're from d-town you can outdrink me too? I bet both of you soaking wet standing on a freight scale wouldn't add up to my fatass with my boots off. Alooooot of room for alchohol in this blood :)
    No, I'm trying to say that your feeble frame, however corpulent, cannot behold the sheer raw fury at which my mortal form cuts a swathe through booze.

Tiger blood.