Midwest (Michigan/Ohio) Meet Discussion!

Comments

• @gibbi depending where I am, I may be able to but I won't be sure until next mo
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Jonathin said:
    If people want to ride share, I'm coming from Grand Rapids, so if that requires me to drive to Lansing and then park it for the next leg, that's fine. I can pick people up on the way, assuming that the second leg has a vehicle that doesn't make weird noises when turning.
    I might be able to help from Toledo as well but my car makes funny noises all the time. (It does have working seatbelts though... I think)
  • @Strata Well, I live in Ohio, and part of our problem is that our troopers will pull you over if you go more than 5mph the posted speed limit. That, right there, is a pretty damn good deterrent from going 15 over. I cant' tell you anything else other than: our cops suck, and will get you for any -damn- thing they can. And it's annoying as all else.
    Llyweith said:
    @Strata Well, I live in Ohio, and part of our problem is that our troopers will pull you over if you go more than 5mph the posted speed limit. That, right there, is a pretty damn good deterrent from going 15 over. I cant' tell you anything else other than: our cops suck, and will get you for any -damn- thing they can. And it's annoying as all else.
    Yes. I also live in Ohio. Radar detectors are legal here (as are laser jammers afaik) and are a very wise investment. TIP: Ohio cops are too lazy to do anything sneaky. Ohio is flat so radar detectors work REALLY FAR. Ohio cops only set up speed traps in plain view and because of the flatness, you can see them for miles.
  • Which part of Ohio are you in? I'm almost in Pennsylvania, so 'flat' is not how I'd describe where I live. In fact, I go further west and it's flat.
  • Averi said:
    @gibbi depending where I am, I may be able to but I won't be sure until next mo
    I really really appreciate it.  If you need any info, just let me know.

I have undressed a god.

Llyweith said:
    Which part of Ohio are you in? I'm almost in Pennsylvania, so 'flat' is not how I'd describe where I live. In fact, I go further west and it's flat.
    I'm just south of Sandusky.
  • edited February 2014
    @Llyweith

That'd explain why my parents think I am the most reckless driver in the world. 

((we used to live in Ohio when I was a kid))
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • Gibbi said:
    I can make these with a little help. I can catch a train from Royal Oak to Ann Arbor, but I'd need a ride from there. For Cedar point, I would need to hitch a ride with someone for the full trip. Would anyone be willing to help?
    Assuming that I'm available on this (which I intend to!), I'll be driving up from downtown Detroit.
  • @Strata Yeah, that's pretty darn flat. I have rolling/decent sized hills since the east side is close to the Applications.
  • I can make the drive from Buffalo to Sandusky for the Cedar Point day. I'll just do the Millenium Force (coaster) like 50 times in a row. So fun.

• Millenium Force is probably the least fun proper coaster in that park :/

• I don't go on any rides. I'll hold the purses :/

• Llyweith said:
    @Strata Yeah, that's pretty darn flat. I have rolling/decent sized hills since the east side is close to the Applications.
    hahah I just want to guess that your phone/computer auto-corrected the Appalachians for Applications... it makes me laugh

• @Rakon, when did you go from being a Wisconsinite to being a Yooper?

@everyone-in-this-thread with no exceptions: I love the cold. Yes, this is because I get hot flashes.

I've got my eye on this thread. If I can get my sister to drive me, I can probably get to this.
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • @Seave so it did... *sagenod*

I love the Maverick. Just putting that out there.
  • Magnum is my favorite.

I have undressed a god.

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited March 2014
    Ok, just to get a plan going for myself: is anyone going to need a ride for either day from the Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo area? I can drive south from here to kzoo if there is someone that wants to go but just needs a ride. Also, is there anyone between Kzoo and D-town that might need a pickup

I've got 5 passenger seats (the other mid-row seat is currently a computer chair).
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • You all realize the easy solution to your problems of transportation, ohio drivers, and not liking roller coasters . . . Right?

It's easy, come to Kalamazoo and do a brewery pub crawl! Kazoo is quickly becoming one of the leading locations in the US for micro breweries! We also have . . . uhhhhhh . . . Did I mention Bells? :D
    I lived in Kzoo and other than bars and finding random parties in the student ghetto (where I lived), there really isn't much to do there.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Also, fuck your breweries in KZ, Ted. Dragonmead is in Warren, MI.

• I personally like New Holland Brewery.  If only because of Dragon's Milk.

I have undressed a god.

• Gotta agree with Gibbi, Dragon's milk rockets New holland to my #1 spot.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited March 2014
    Llyweith said:
    Strata said:
    Anyone from Michigan (I grew up there but live in Ohio now) - advisory: Ohio drivers are really REALLY bad. Be sure to give yourself extra time for being stuck behind semi trucks and 1980's cutlass supremes going 15mph under the speed limit, and highway patrol pulling you over because you have out of state plates. Just sayin. :)
    I went to Ann Arbor last year, and I swear Michigan drivers are worse. I don't know if it was a game day (went to the Akron-Michigan game) so people were stupid, but no one had turn-signals on, and they were switching lanes like crazy before we got into game-day traffic.
    Turn signals? THIS IS MICHIGAN! We telepathically signal where we're headed and roll through stop signs because they're just a suggestion.  <:-P

Edit: If anyone has never been to Michigan, these are real things. The latter is called "the Michigan stop," and is akin to the "Pittsburgh left" in terms of most drivers who live there recognizing it as an unspoken rule of the road. 
  • Which is entirely different from a 'Michigan Left'.

• I had to cross Woodward on bike regularly during my first job's commute. "Right of way" is just a suggestion here too. If I had a nickel for every near-collision, I could afford to get my bike fixed.

I have undressed a god.

If you roll up on me like a bat out of hell and then continue to tailgate me for a mile, I'm going to go 25mph in that 55 zone, swerve when you try to pass me and give you the finger the entire time.
  • People like you should have their licenses revoked.

And also people who tailgate.

But what you do is dangerous as hell and can easily cause accidents.

edited March 2014
    Wow, Cooper, way to miss the joke. That's not really a new thing though, so I'm not surprised. Do you really think I'm stupid enough to do something -that- reckless? Maybe back in my drinking days, but I'd be damned if I don't go exactly the speed limit every time nowadays. Add to that, the last time my brother gave the finger to someone, that someone followed him home.
  • Didn't sound like a joke and definitely isn't funny. Keep it classy.