Quick Questions

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I am human because of the sip bonus. I feel tankier against certain classes, and definitely feel better bashing as a human. Race is largely irrelevant combatwise though (Thank you Admin!) so honestly it doesn't really matter. Human is a good "elitist" race if you want to roleplay that. We are the children of a (raped) god after all.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Atavians and Mhuns (and to a lesser degree Trolls) can claim the same though.
  • To be honest, I am human because I was born that way and the doctors won't let me change to atavian.
  • @Iocun Don't forget the Xoran.

@Tvistor Mhun IRL.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Jiraishin said:
    @Iocun Don't forget the Xoran.

The whatnow?
  • Being Mhun IRL would just make me oddly suited to construction work.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    yes but Maya is part of pentad, the other gods aren't as cool, therefore Human. Q.E.D.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • My point was that Atavians and Mhuns are of human origin too (and Trolls partly)  and have the same claim to Maya's legacy.
  • Iocun said:
    My point was that Atavians and Mhuns are of human origin too (and Trolls partly)  and have the same claim to Maya's legacy.
    I think @Jirashin's point was that recent events suggest this is also true of the Xoran, if they are, in fact, descended from Elara.
  • Yep, I simply had forgot about them. Too new to remember! My second post, the one you quoted, was merely in reply to Mishgul's post right before it.
  • I am suddenly extremely annoyed that most posts seem to have an unequal distributions between 'like's and 'LOL's. Everyone likes a joke so there should be some sort of standard where a 'like' transitions into a 'LOL'.

I hate you all.
  • Is fishing worthwhile money-making? As in: should I trans survival over my class skills to, aside from the benefits of having trans survival, be able to fish together money for the rest of my skills? Or is it overshadowed by other ways of making money?
  • Fishing is one of the best ways to make money when you can't bash your way to gold or offer services or something like runes or tattooing (if you'd accept payment for that at all)

People have gotten upwards of 60k from one fishing trip before, but it requires a lot of bait, time, luck, and transcended survival.

Also being able to go out to sea to fish is nice too, especially if you bribe the pirates to leave you alone (Not so much luck for the fish people)
  • EldEld
    edited October 2012
    Deepsea fishing  (which requires a fair amount of Seafaring in addition to Survival) is not as good gold per time as good questing spots. Freshwater fishing is worse. Generally, better off transing all three class skills before thinking about getting trans survival.
  • In my opinion, fishing is something you do when you're busy with other things and still want to be making gold. It doesn't pay much gold, but it takes very little effort. It's not something you should use to trans your skills, or something you should learn over your class skills.

Fishing depends a lot on luck (sometimes you'll be getting nibbles and strikes constantly even after catching several fish, sometimes you'll wait 20 minutes for a single nibble in a completely unfished area), so it varies a lot, but I'd estimate an average of 3k-7k per hour for freshwater fishing (assuming trans survival), 10k-15k per hour for deepsea fishing (assuming trans survival and seafaring, if seafaring matters beyond learning the ability).

For comparison, a relatively low level (can be done easily at level 60-ish) questing area like Ulangi can give 20k-25k per hour, if you have it to yourself.

So just looking at profits, fishing (even deepsea fishing) is a rather poor way to make gold. The advantages are not having to learn any quests, much less competition, and it can be entirely automated (though you still have to be paying attention, if you don't want to be shrubbed).
  • Sena said:

The advantages are not having to learn any quests, much less competition, and it can be entirely automated (though you still have to be paying attention, if you don't want to be shrubbed).

I'm of the impression that full automation earns you a set of leaves whether or not you're actually afk. Anyone clarify?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Sylvance said:
    I'm of the impression that full automation earns you a set of leaves whether or not you're actually afk. Anyone clarify?
    Basically, the rule is "If you're automating anything (that earns gold or experience) to any extent, and not able to respond when an admin pokes you, you're in trouble. If you are able to respond, you're fine."

Partially automated fishing (such as not auto-casting) can still get you shrubbed, and fully automated fishing (even automatically moving to new spots) is fine if you're still paying attention to Achaea.
  • It technically can, but I don't think the admins are that petty. Forcing you to sit and watch yourself fish/forge is sadistic enough; actually forcing you to start it off manually every time would just be cruel. I'm fairly sure they just send you tells/mess with you if they suspect you're afk, and shrub you if you don't respond.

• The policy may have changed, but full automation used to be allowed as long as you were still paying attention.
  • Can we swim in the oceans if we have FluidSwim in Survival? Or by any other means, to swim from one island to another.
  • Sena said:
    Sylvance said:
    Basically, the rule is "If you're automating anything (that earns gold or experience) to any extent, and not able to respond when an admin pokes you, you're in trouble. If you are able to respond, you're fine."
    Basically, autobashing is fine if your script ensures you die often enough to give you zero net experience.
  • Well the point between you starting the autobashing and dying may get you shrubbed.
  • Just make sure you start with a death.
  • It is illegal to have it auto even if you die and lose exp. it's the auto part that is illegal even if you make 0 gold or exp.
  • My script makes me move from room to room, drawslashing once before moving on. No gold, no xp.

Am I doing it right?
  • Salik said:
    It is illegal to have it auto even if you die and lose exp. it's the auto part that is illegal even if you make 0 gold or exp.
    If that was the case, all triggers that send something to Achaea (including curing systems, autosippers, etc.) would be illegal. They aren't though: earning gold or experience is explicitly listed in HELP AUTOMATION as part of what defines illegal automation.
    Rajan said:
    My script makes me move from room to room, drawslashing once before moving on. No gold, no xp. Am I doing it right?
    Just make sure you don't run into a rat, or a glint, or something else that dies in a single hit.
  • edited October 2012
    @Salik It is the gold or experience (including indirectly, like creating goods that can be sold) that makes it illegal. Nobody is going to get shrubbed for fully automating reward-less activities.

That's not to say that automating it badly so you have a net loss will seriously make it okay, but I don't think there's any risk of someone taking that seriously.
    Rajan said:
    My script makes me move from room to room, drawslashing once before moving on. No gold, no xp. Am I doing it right?
    You'll need to check for others in the room to prevent you from stealing kills, and automatically heartstop if you get lucky with criticals and kill something in one hit.
  • Iocun, I got this explained, if we take forging, you can sit by the comp all day long, if you got a trigger to take the rapier out from the forge and forge a new it's illegal as you could go afk, it's the same with auto ratting or stuff. Even if you sit by the comp to dsl rat and move and do the next, the thing that makes is possible that you can go AFK is illegal even if your not AFK.