Quick Questions

Comments

• edited October 2012
    If Marks didn't exist, it would likely count as sufficient roleplay justification - provided that you had a sufficient roleplay reason for wanting that person dead (i.e. they'd robbed or killed you). However, Marks do exist to fill precisely that function, so probably not.

The problem is that the target only knows that you have sufficient reason to kill them, and not that your friend does because you asked them to. With a Mark, the target is informed that you've formally handed responsibility for retribution over to somebody else, and that person attacking them won't come out of the blue with seemingly no explanation. You might be able to get away with using a non-Mark to do your fighting for you provided you agreed it with the target in some way - mind you I don't really know how you'd do this in an in-character fashion - but I wouldn't count on that holding up if that person later decided to issue your friend.
  • I'm wondering similarly about writs. Is there still a point to them, or might it be better to scrap the writ system (with all its problems such as the inability to get a writ from a completely destroyed shrine) altogether and leave shrine defence to the new PK rules?
  • Sena said:
    Sylvance said:
    Q: What's the point in hiring a Mark to do my wet work, considering the new PK rules? Can't I just ask a buddy to do it for me?
    Even under the new rules, I don't think "my buddy asked me to kill them" is sufficient justification.
    @Antonius' response seems a better fit in my opinion. I agree with you @Sena that "My buddy asked me to kill them" wouldn't work as a response in itself, but "My buddy asked me to kill them because <insert valid PK reason> would seem a perfectly justifiable reason under the new rules; this was specifically banned under the old rules. That's what Marks were for.

To me the only distinction left that's important is that if a Mark does it now, you're responsible for the death. If a buddy does it, they're responsible for the death.

And, yes, @Iocun, the writs system seems completely defunct now.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Xer said:
    I think the bigger question is how do you have three different answers when there are only two choices?
    He asked Shallamese ICly?
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
  • On the mechanics level, hiring nets the client a portion of the XP. So, there's that.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    edited October 2012
    Iocun said:
    I'm wondering similarly about writs. Is there still a point to them, or might it be better to scrap the writ system (with all its problems such as the inability to get a writ from a completely destroyed shrine) altogether and leave shrine defence to the new PK rules?
    Writs aren't necessary if the witness'er is going to do the killing. If the person doing the witness'ing isn't much of a combatant, though, writs are still be needed by the order to pass off to Marks. Without writs, defiling a shrine would make you something akin to open PK to an entire order based purely on someone's say-so, (There'd be no way to prove it without writs/witnessing) which would be pretty brutal for someone not an A-list combatant. The new rules are great, but writs keep shrine conflict within reason, in my opinion.

It may still get some attention with the upcoming shrine re-work, though.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Hrm yes, that makes sense. Didn't really consider that because I never yielded a writ myself.
  • Q: What's with the lulstars next to people's names?
  • Post number I think.  Or number of likes/whatever.
  • Post number I think.  Or number of likes/whatever.

Thank you, my esteemed colleague.
  • Hey gang.  Totally new to Achaea so this is my first salvo of newb questions.

1. Is there another wiki or site out there that has more in-depth numbers than the official wiki?
    2. Are there tons of serpents running around?  One of the threads was about favorite class and serpent, it seemed, was top.
    3. Is there an easy way to see what stats actually do? It seems hit and miss whether strength actually factors into damage with a physical attack.
    4. Does gold matter past level 60 or so?  Does it get to the point where you've more gold than you know what to do with?

Thanks you!
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Denoth said:
    Hey gang.  Totally new to Achaea so this is my first salvo of newb questions.

1. Is there another wiki or site out there that has more in-depth numbers than the official wiki?
    2. Are there tons of serpents running around?  One of the threads was about favorite class and serpent, it seemed, was top.
    3. Is there an easy way to see what stats actually do? It seems hit and miss whether strength actually factors into damage with a physical attack.
    4. Does gold matter past level 60 or so?  Does it get to the point where you've more gold than you know what to do with?

Thanks you!
    1.  Not sure if there is another site.  Our go-to for that info is usually Sena here on the forums.
    2.  Depends on the city, I'd say there aren't many serpents left though.  There was recently some big changes made to theft that drove a lot of people to class change (or quit Achaea is seems).  Also serpents are by nature hard to find so you definitely won't see many of them running around.
    3.  No easy way, most attacks are either magic, cutting or blunt damage attacks.  As far as stats such STR and INT there are diminishing returns after the base of 12.
    4.  Gold still matters, you'll buy curatives at the very least with the gold.  Once you reach that nice balance you'll soon make more gold than you can spend on day to day items and can buy credits or high value items (like Ships).
  • edited October 2012
    Denoth said:
    Hey gang.  Totally new to Achaea so this is my first salvo of newb questions.

Thanks you!
    1. Not as far as I'm aware. You can always ask here for questions on game mechanics though. We have some amazing math geeks here who really enjoy doing that sort of thing.

2. Serpent is probably on the smaller side on the class distribution tables.  This is due to the rather high level of skill it takes to succeed in combat with the class.  However, it has many of the more fun and interesting skillsets.  Monk and Runewarden would probably be the largest.

3. General rule of thumb is that strength will affect anything physical based and intelligence for magical attacks.  However, skill level and weapon quality often factor in dependent upon the attack.  There's also a diminishing value the higher your strength/int is past 15.  You'll still get a bit more damage, but not enough as before.

4. Gold is always important in the game to an extent. You will need to buy curatives, food, armour and weapons, and other things past level 60 as well.  I doubt many have more gold than they know what to do with because things can just get rather expensive depending on your class and goals.  However, there are also recreational things to spend your money on, such as a house or a ship.

• Kazu said:

3. General rule of thumb is that strength will affect anything physical based and intelligence for magical attacks.  However, skill level and weapon quality often factor in dependent upon the attack.  There's also a diminishing value the higher your strength/int is past 15.  You'll still get a bit more damage, but not enough as before.

That actually starts at 12 but gets to be really heavy at 15.

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    I haven't a clue what goes into this 'Best Of...' thing underneath the Drafts at the left side, but I'm intrigued.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• I think posts are ranked by how many likes and lols they receive, while posters are ranked by how many points they've gathered.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • What are the points for? Some kind of secret promotion? Or perhaps something darker and wholly more sinister - a system to mark who should be saved when our cruel masters cull the weak and un-lol'd.

Also, maybe something to ask via issue, but as I'm at work...
    Is the new leadership request system supposed to be the way to arrange -everything- in terms of changes that are house related? Government type, entry/exit criteria for estates, adding/changing house merchants' wares, adding/changing bits in the househall, anything else?
    I have almost literally no clue how this worked previously, so if it's a stupid question, apologies.
  • BabelBabel Oblivion
    Is the new leadership request system supposed to be the way to arrange -everything- in terms of changes that are house related? Government type, entry/exit criteria for estates, adding/changing house merchants' wares, adding/changing bits in the househall, anything else?
    I have almost literally no clue how this worked previously, so if it's a stupid question, apologies.
    Essentially. All of the stuff that went through Patrons before now goes through your leadership liaison denizen. That said, depending upon your Patron you may have been doing things that way already; I have been handling Patronage requests through strategically-placed denizens for some time now. As well, in-character things like "oh Great and Powerful Lord Babel, He Who Extinguishes the Stars, would you be so kind as to bless this endeavour?" or "we're running a contest and would be honoured if You could see  Your way clear to laying Your divine hand of blessing upon the victor" can probably go directly to your Patron. That's why they're there, from an in-character perspective. In general, if you want something from a tremendously powerful immortal being, ask your Patron. If you want something from your friendly neighborhood administrator who lives his or her life to make nice things for people, ask your leadership denizen.

Please note, however, that only the actual House Leader (or city leader, or High Clan leader) can use the request system, so if you have a request, you'll have to get the HL to pass it along.

• I like this as far as the scarcity of Divine is concerned. This allows for underpatron'd organizations to petition the Garden for help without having to feel like they are asking a nonaligned God for assistance. 

• edited October 2012
    Babel said:
    Please note, however, that only the actual House Leader (or city leader, or High Clan leader) can use the request system, so if you have a request, you'll have to get the HL to pass it along.
    What if it's to do with the HL that you don't want them to know about...such as violent overthrow...
    (seems silly, but I'm serious)
  • BabelBabel Oblivion
    Peak said:
    Babel said:
    What if it's to do with the HL that you don't want them to know about...such as violent overthrow...
    (seems silly, but I'm serious)
    That's not an OOC Patronage request! That's something you should be orchestrating IC.

• Anyone have the numbers on Human sip bonus? It seems everyone is Human (combatants particularly), but I can't see why unless the sip bonus is really great. It could be for RP reasons of course!
  • Pre-traits, it was a 10% chance of a 10% bonus. No idea if it was changed post-traits.
  • I leave the beast races to you lesser, 3-star and below mortals.

• Maht said:
    Anyone have the numbers on Human sip bonus? It seems everyone is Human (combatants particularly), but I can't see why unless the sip bonus is really great. It could be for RP reasons of course!
    This is so not fair. I was human before human was cool!

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• Prythe said:

Maht said:

Anyone have the numbers on Human sip bonus? It seems everyone is Human (combatants particularly), but I can't see why unless the sip bonus is really great. It could be for RP reasons of course!

This is so not fair. I was human before human was cool!

Pales into insignificance besides Beguile and Seduce. Siren ftw.
  • Ahahah.  Thank -you- mine dweller for giving me free nightsight and faster movement.
  • Maht said:

Possibly due to less-penalized stats.

• When I was doing research on whether or not to come back to Achaea after a long absence, I was reading old posts mentioning a free credit a day for posting (or something similar). Is this still in effect?
  • Nope. I think you can still get a credit per day for commenting on the articles, though.