Quick Questions

Comments

• NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    edited September 2012
    @Azor: There's a lot of unknowns to use in estimation, but in general, I think that you'd be surprised at how small it could be.

Each character (as in, letter characters, not adventurer characters) is one byte. So, if we start from a total size of just three gigabytes, and work backwards, that's:

3 x 1024 x 1024 x 1024 / 6 = >500,000,000 characters per city 

500,000,000 characters is roughly 100,000,000 words per city. 

You can see that setting aside just 3GB of storage (a relatively small amount of storage) for all six cities ought to be more than enough. That's city room descriptions, news posts, character descriptions, etc. 

Let's further assume that we set aside another 3GB for all room descriptions, and set an average room description at 1024 characters (Nizaris' own personal description looks to be about 1020 characters), and we have space for >3 million rooms. I'm not sure how many rooms Achaea has, but I'm pretty certain that it's maybe around 30,000-60,000. That's around 2% of 3GB. So, let's go ahead and throw in all of the item descriptions in there as well. 

Here's another way to look at it: given the speed necessary to run Achaea, I'm sure that the entirety of it (with the exception of maybe things like news posts and help files) needs to be stored in RAM rather than hard drive for performance. RAM is relatively cheap, but still, it's around 100x more expensive than hard drive space per gigabyte ... so, I'm going to guess a max of 12-20GB would be devoted to something like Achaea, system and everything. 

Probably the biggest unknown, however, is the amount of code necessary. Not just of the raw rapture engine, but also the code necessary for all of the skills and the math and formulas involved for every little aspect and interaction.
  • edited September 2012
    -

• edited September 2012
    Cahin said:
    -
    -
  • edited September 2012
    Q: Does willpower regen whilst you're logged out?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Health/mana/endurance/willpower/limprep(not so confident on that) don't change when you're logged out.
    Devotion and essence do regenerate, so it's nice to come back to a full pool.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like a majority of the people who hunt in the more profitable hunting areas already own veils. I had considered saving for one, though if everyone else already has one, it wouldn't do me much good!

About how many veil-owners do we have?

• Wynedere said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like a majority of the people who hunt in the more profitable hunting areas already own veils. I had considered saving for one, though if everyone else already has one, it wouldn't do me much good!

Too many. 
  • Well a Gem would be a better investment for that. That way you do not show up on QW to anyone. They are less likely to try and trace you if they do not know you are there.

• Area sensing abilities still work with a gem. I tried that one back years ago and it didn't do much good, heh. You are right, though, because so many people own veils, it seems to negate the reason for buying one in the first place. The best option would be to just go with the cheaper Gem.

• Wynedere said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like a majority of the people who hunt in the more profitable hunting areas already own veils. I had considered saving for one, though if everyone else already has one, it wouldn't do me much good!

NOT a stab at @Wynedere - the fact that this question needs to be asked (and it certainly does need to be asked) means that there's something fundamentally wrong with that artefact.  It's a little bit the Web/Buckawns debate.  

"Do I need a Web tattoo?"
    "No."
    "Why not?"
    "Anybody you'd want to use it against has a Buckawns."
    "A whatnow? What does 'a Buckawns' do?"
    "It perfectly defends against the Web tattoo."
    "So... do I need a Buckawns?"
    "No. People won't bother webbing you because they'll assume you've got a Buckawns."
    "Hang on... doesn't that mean-"
    "Shut up or I'll hit IGNORE?"
  • Idk what you mean, people still try to web me all the time. (I wish I was joking.)
  • Oh trust me, people will know if you don't have a buckawns. The veil issue is different.

It would be the same if two buckawns owners could web each other. But its not.
  • Nemutaur said:
    Oh trust me, people will know if you don't have a buckawns. The veil issue is different. It would be the same if two buckawns owners could web each other. But its not.
    I get that; my point was more 'People don't turn up to raids, see who they're fighting and then decide not to Web. They just don't bother with Web.'  But @Tanris says that I'm wrong there, and I'm more than inclined to accept that he knows more about raiding than me.
  • Tanris said:
    Veils are a dumb artifact all round and I suspect 90% of owners have one specifically to sense other owners.
    This.
  • Sylvance said:

Nemutaur said:

Oh trust me, people will know if you don't have a buckawns. The veil issue is different.

It would be the same if two buckawns owners could web each other. But its not.

I get that; my point was more 'People don't turn up to raids, see who they're fighting and then decide not to Web. They just don't bother with Web.'  But @Tanris says that I'm wrong there, and I'm more than inclined to accept that he knows more about raiding than me.

They'll probe once and then will remember next time that it doesn't work. But if they know that you dont have one then you pretty much get perma webbed. Just ask @Mizik, Mycen and Terra.

• Nemutaur said:
    Nemutaur said:
    Oh trust me, people will know if you don't have a buckawns. The veil issue is different. It would be the same if two buckawns owners could web each other. But its not.
    They'll probe once and then will remember next time that it doesn't work. But if they know that you dont have one then you pretty much get perma webbed. Just ask @Mizik, Mycen and Terra.
    Guess I'll buy a Buckawns then... and a Veil ;)
  • Tanris said:

Veils are a dumb artifact all round and I suspect 90% of owners have one specifically to sense other owners.

This is the only reason I want one, but it costs so much and for 2k cr I can get other nice stuff instead if buffing mind sense, mindnet and fullsense
  • Can anyone clarify if the artefact magical damage collars affect Shaman abilities whatsoever?
  • Sultani said:
    Can anyone clarify if the artefact magical damage collars affect Shaman abilities whatsoever?
    They increase bleed damage against denizens. Pretty sure they increase thurisaz, othala, and hugalaz. Not sure about throttle.
  • Wynedere said:

Most of my hunting is in full PK areas and I don't have a veil. It's not really necessary if you learn how to run.
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
  • How do you get the forums to stop spamming your hotmail?
  • Sylvance said:
    How do you get the forums to stop spamming your hotmail?
    Got it
  • Q: What's the point in hiring a Mark to do my wet work, considering the new PK rules? Can't I just ask a buddy to do it for me?
  • No. Use a Mark, that's why they're there.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I traded in my veil because who cares where anyone is.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Sylvance said:
    Q: What's the point in hiring a Mark to do my wet work, considering the new PK rules? Can't I just ask a buddy to do it for me?
    Even under the new rules, I don't think "my buddy asked me to kill them" is sufficient justification.