Quick Questions

Comments

• Why does Ellodin always have the most entertaining .gif signatures? 
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    More entertaining than the Sword of Omens?  I could use the Sight Beyond Sight.
  • Does mount weight, ability to fly etc have any affect on things like Trample?

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I think it's just the NPC level of the mount, and non-flying mounts are higher level than flying ones. I think the higher weight of non-flying mounts is a coincidence.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited September 2012
    Might as well ask: Have there been tests to see if targetted drawslashes had weaker limb damage than compass slashes?

• UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
    Arador said:

Does mount weight, ability to fly etc have any affect on things like Trample?

I was under the assumption weight alone influenced it, but can't remember who told me. Haven't tested, though.

• The rumour that weight matters has been around for a long time, but I've never seen any evidence of it.
  • If I am not mistaken, Trample was also changed to be more of a chance. Anyways, I bought a Bloodsteed in the end because I have wanted one since I was a novice and saw Khoraji coming past on one.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Sounds like a better reason for a decision than anything stat-based.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited September 2012
    Synbios said:
    Might as well ask: Have there been tests to see if targetted drawslashes had weaker limb damage than compass slashes?
    Yes. I can't tell you exactly how much, since I haven't done the math with it, but yes.
  • Sothantos said:
    Synbios said:
    Yes. I can't tell you exactly how much, since I haven't done the math with it, but yes.
    Really? Last time I tested limb damage all my break numbers came out exactly the same for targetted drawslash as for compass. That was after compass got nerfed a while back, though, not sure if it would have changed at that point.
  • Dorn had some accurate numbers for BM limb damage and I'm pretty sure targetted drawslash came out at less than compass. It probably won't be relevant except within some specific bands of max health (and differing depending on whether and what type of band is on the blade).
  • Question: Is there currently a way to skip the tutorial?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.

Nyet.

Nyet.
    You can only speed it up.
  • Question for those keeping track of the past - why did curare paralysis messages have *'s interspersed throughout randomly, and when was it removed?

• It had the asterisks in order to make it harder to automate against. Since more modern systems were having absolutely no problems with matching it anyways though it was removed two or three classleads ago. I could look it up if you need an exact date.
  • It was only difficult (impossible) to match against on the original Java client, as far as I know all of the newer clients provided by IRE had all the functionality required to match the pattern with the random asterisks in it. You could definitely do it with zMUD ten years ago, and I'd assume other clients would have been able to as well.
  • Before anybody points out that this is a stupid question, I've had at least three different IG answers: are War Galleys or Windcutters best for ship combat?
  • edited September 2012
    Considering windcutters can only have throwers, they're only suitable for force boarding. If you want to actually sink another ship, you're gonna have to go with something bigger.
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • XerXer Langley
    edited September 2012
    I think the bigger question is how do you have three different answers when there are only two choices?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • Xer said:
    I think the bigger question is how do you have three different answers when there are only two choices?
    Because the third answer is delete ships.
  • Iocun said:
     I could look it up if you need an exact date.
    Please do. And advance thanks!

• Sohl said:
    Considering windcutters can only have throwers, they're only suitable for force boarding
    Not true.
  • Synbios said:
    Iocun said:
     I could look it up if you need an exact date.
    Please do. And advance thanks!
    The change was announced in announce news #3475.
    Date: 7/30/2011 at 18:14
  • Oh. Shows you how much I know about ship combat!
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • Sylvance said:
    Before anybody points out that this is a stupid question, I've had at least three different IG answers: are War Galleys or Windcutters best for ship combat?
    Well, for one thing, there's an intermediate option, the Thalassian Seastrider. Pretty much my only experience with ship combat has been running away from Kinilan and Kresslack, so I'm not really qualified to offer a detailed opinion on the question, but generally, a larger ship will be able to use a wider range of weapons, take more damage, and sail a little faster downwind, but will be less manoeuverable (much slower turning, less ability to sail upwind). Presumably, which is best will depend on what kind of combat you're looking for (sinking vs boarding, for example) and how good you are at ship handling. From what I've seen, most people who seek out ship combat seem to do it in Seastriders.

Presumably Kinilan or Kresslack can chime in here if I've offended them too much with ill-informed gibberish.
  • Strider is your best bet.

Galleys are useless. Their rate of turn is so bad that you'll never keep any other ship in range unless they go in a straight line.

Cutters can fight and not just through boarding. But not as well as a Strider. Their offensive options are a bit more limited. Their high rate of turn helps but rate of turn alone won't keep you safe. Their ability to sail farther into the wind doesn't help at all. They aren't as useless as people think.
  • So Strider ftw. Thanks guys!