Quick Questions

Comments

• Rajan said:
    What's so hot about BM hunting? I don't seem to take more or less damage than other alts, and the weak hits detract from the speed (11-14 hits on a single Azdun wight gets old quick). Granted, I don't have Nimble so I'm slashing at about 2-2.2s in Thyr, but still. I dont see what all the fuss is about. Does its greatness come from crits later on like a monk?
    Fast (especially with nimble), pretty high damage (500-600 damage at trans Two Arts, depending on strength) attack with relatively low endurance drain. Defense isn't great (better in Mir, but at the cost of slower attacks), but the speed makes hit and run more viable than for many classes. I don't have much basis to compare it to other classes, but I've always found it quite satisfactory. On the other hand, a glance at a typical deathsight history might suggest that I'm not exactly an authority on hunting well.
  • edited October 2012
    Silas said:
    Artied BM bashing is -amazing-. Mir means you can tank anything, and drawslash isn't that far behind staffcast in terms of mob damage. No idea what it's like for you peasants, though.
    Actually, it looks like drawslash is far ahead of staffcast. Unartied, drawslash is about the same damage as staffcast but much faster. Artied drawslash (16 strength, nimble, Mir) is about 258 DPS, artied staffcast (16 intelligence, level 3 collar, quick-witted, diadem) is about 218 DPS. I've never done high-level bashing as a mage though, so I'm not sure how useful that comparison is. An artied serpent (level 3 lash) also does about the same damage as staffcast (although garrote can miss).

Mages are far tankier than blademasters though, even with Mir.

Edit: Forgot that band doesn't affect denizen damage.
  • Out of curiosity, has anyone checked that the effect of a blademaster band on drawslash speed is the same for denizens as for adventurers? I know the band doesn't affect damage against denizens, but I don't remember if I've checked the balance time. Seems like it should be the usual balance reduction, but there are obviously other differences in Two Arts attacks on denizens vs adventurers (no stance-based damage difference, can't combo a strike with a drawslash on a denizen), so it's conceivable that the band just doesn't affect denizen drawslash at all.
  • edited October 2012
    My nimble monk isn't much slower than non-Nimble Thyr, but damage is way higher with only +2 strength. And I was under the impression strength had little effect on TwoArts damage. Maybe that was pre-stat packs and traits, but I heard there wasn't much difference between raja and troll drawslash.

I'll have to do some testing tonight to compare against my monk again, just feels better overall.
  • edited October 2012
    Rajan said:
    My nimble monk isn't much slower than non-Nimble Thyr, but damage is way higher with only +2 strength. And I was under the impression strength had little effect on TwoArts damage. Maybe that was pre-stat packs and traits, but I heard there wasn't much difference between raja and troll drawslash.

And is the damage really that decent? Feels like my monk hits like a cannon comparatively, even ignoring crits, and at almost the same speed.
    Strength affects most (if not all) attacks the same. There was a pretty big difference between raja and troll drawslash damage.

Blademaster damage is very good, but it definitely can't compare to monk damage. Monk is an amazing class for bashing.
  • Hm, not sure where I got that idea from. Oh well. Thanks!
  • Didn't know drawslash was ahead of staffcast. That's crazy.

Magi still have reflections (and can use SoA) though, so yeah, survivability is much higher as a mage.

• Sena said:
    Silas said:
    Artied BM bashing is -amazing-. Mir means you can tank anything, and drawslash isn't that far behind staffcast in terms of mob damage. No idea what it's like for you peasants, though.
    Actually, it looks like drawslash is far ahead of staffcast. Unartied, drawslash is about the same damage as staffcast but much faster. Artied drawslash (16 strength, nimble, Mir) is about 258 DPS, artied staffcast (16 intelligence, level 3 collar, quick-witted, diadem) is about 218 DPS. I've never done high-level bashing as a mage though, so I'm not sure how useful that comparison is. An artied serpent (level 3 lash) also does about the same damage as staffcast (although garrote can miss).

Mages are far tankier than blademasters though, even with Mir.

Edit: Forgot that band doesn't affect denizen damage.
    Drawslash is a bit worse than that for Mir from what I've seen (somewhere in the 218-237 range ) and a fair bit better in Thyr (around 300-320), with a level three band, nimble, and 16 strength. The balance times I used for those ranges were based on eyeballing numbers from a balance timer and didn't account for latency or anything fancy, but should be in the right ballpark.
  • What I like about bashing as a BM is that you can switch hunting styles. If I'm facing denizens who don't deal damage, I can go Thyr for faster bashing. If denizens are more damaging, I can go mir and only sacrifice a bit of speed(which, in comparison with the mediocre rapiers I used to have, is still ridiculously fast).

• @Eld, wait, at the top of the page you said 500-600 depending on strength, then 300 artied with 16 strength? That's a big difference in output...
  • 500-600 per hit, but about 300 DPS. Implying balance of ~2 seconds
  • Eld said:
    Drawslash is a bit worse than that for Mir from what I've seen (somewhere in the 218-237 range ) and a fair bit better in Thyr (around 300-320), with a level three band, nimble, and 16 strength. The balance times I used for those ranges were based on eyeballing numbers from a balance timer and didn't account for latency or anything fancy, but should be in the right ballpark.
    According to my notes (which were pre-traits, so drawslash or Mir could have been changed since then), balance with Mir and nimble should be 2.2s (base drawslash being 2s, and Mir increasing balance by 20% for 2.4s), and I used the numbers you gave for damage. For Thyr, I have 1.8s with nimble, for 316 DPS.

What balances do you have for drawslash?
  • EldEld
    edited October 2012

Sena said:
    Eld said:
    According to my notes (which were pre-traits, so drawslash or Mir could have been changed since then), balance with Mir and nimble should be 2.2s (base drawslash being 2s, and Mir increasing balance by 20% for 2.4s), and I used the numbers you gave for damage. For Thyr, I have 1.8s with nimble, for 316 DPS.

What balances do you have for drawslash?
    In Thyr, my timer ranges from about 1.7-1.9, so 1.8 on average is probably about right. In Mir, I was seeing 2.4-2.6. Unstanced seemed to be typically 2.0-2.1. I can test more thoroughly if it's something people are interested in; I'd like to have firmer numbers for how stances affect balance times, anyway.
  • edited October 2012
    Guy has been slain by the might of -----.
    4272h, 3337m, 19640e, 15200w ex- 13:18:13.946
    Guy has been slain by the might of ------.
    4272h, 3337m, 19640e, 15200w ex- 13:18:16.601
    Maintaining order in the court, a liveried constable has forcibly expelled Guy from the bounds of Hashan.
    4272h, 3337m, 19640e, 15200w ex- 13:18:19.439

I'm wondering how one can be triple killed. I understand double death with starburst, but I can't think of anything that would allow for a second revival.
  • @maht

Could've touch a starburst immediately after bursting.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    that was me.  I prefer to be called dude on forums.  And yea, I touched burst after because at the time is was just pvp but then guards showed up.
  • Achilles said:
    that was me.  I prefer to be called dude on forums.  And yea, I touched burst after because at the time is was just pvp but then guards showed up.
    Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I redacted names because people can be a bit sensitive about such things.

• Also being able to go out to sea to fish is nice too, especially if you bribe the pirates to leave you alone (Not so much luck for the fish people)

Pirates won't just leave you alone. For a little extra they will even fight off those nasty mean dirty icky mean nasty Tritons that are nasty and mean. Pirates are cool like that.
  • Kinilan said:

Also being able to go out to sea to fish is nice too, especially if you bribe the pirates to leave you alone (Not so much luck for the fish people)

Pirates won't just leave you alone. For a little extra they will even fight off those nasty mean dirty icky mean nasty Tritons that are nasty and mean. Pirates are cool like that.
    @Nellaundra - For instance, you can accept that Kinilan is a good man and a pirate. Or you can't.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Kinilan is a beautiful man

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • What client do @Sarapis, @Tecton and the other Divine use? I'm especially curious about the Pentad. Do you have your own special client?
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    No special clients, no. Most of the time I use HTML5, but if I'm doing something that requires a huge scrollback buffer, I use Atlantis (OSX). Sarapis uses the HTML5 client full-time!
  • OuraniaOurania The Garden of the Gods
    Mudlet mainly, and the HTML5 on my iPad. I enjoy how I can customise my Mudlet and have multiple panels and tabs, and the HTML5 is smooth on the iPad.

• I guess not many gods use that cause they miss allot of zaps =P also Forums are OOC right and I won't get zapped IG for correcting someone?

• Just so I have this right, let us for example take a Grook with 4,000 health and 4,000 mana. If they're sitting in a flooded room, they regain 1,000 health and mana every 10 seconds or am I misinterpreting the 25% health and mana regain in some way? 

• Garao said:
    Just so I have this right, let us for example take a Grook with 4,000 health and 4,000 mana. If they're sitting in a flooded room, they regain 1,000 health and mana every 10 seconds
    That's right.
  • edited October 2012

what 1k health and mana per 10s?

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Why are they also regenerating mana?  Help Grooks only mentions health.