Quick Questions

Comments

• Lol I loved just not curing asthma and confusing the eff out of some serpents (had active healing for backup ofc).
  • Dude, that is cruel. I also can't believe it worked.
  • Yeah I'd manually make it not cure it at random intervals, esp on people that used curare/kalmia to get ahead of herb bal.

(This all started when my curing screwed up and didn't cure asthma).
  • I randomly apply mending to my legs when fighting monks and I seem to do better.
  • The short story is that no class requires an artifact to succeed, but your success can be marginally increased by getting one.

When it comes to offensive artefacts, my suggestion is:
    1) to learn the class's strategies and do as much as you can with a default dirk that will cost you nothing. If you're doing everything right and still can't lock a common system (Svo/omni/etc), then probably the class would need changes itself on the coding level. Some would argue that dstab already does.

2) after you're able to end about 15-20% of your fights in locks, consider grabbing any level of dirk to give you that edge

The main thing is that if you don't understand a class, no amount of artefacts will guarantee you victory against someone who understands it better, or even who understands their own class.

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • edited November 2012
    stock dstab is good enough to lock, though it's hard for newbies to get into serpent combat and they express obvious frustration (see: Nellaundra even made a thread)
  • @Vaehl It's something I've read a lot, Serpent combat being difficult for newbies. Since I have never engaged in combat with any of my previous characters, however, I have nothing to compared Serpent combat with.
  • Vaehl said:
    stock dstab is good enough to lock, though it's hard for newbies to get into serpent combat and they express obvious frustration (see: Nellaundra even made a thread)
    I just legitimately suck at keeping track of afflictions I stack up and that they cure.  My memory sucks and I can't really make a system that does it for me, so I just stick with classes that are a bit more intuitive.  See: Paladin.
  • edited November 2012
    Serpent combat is so freaking fun though, even unartied (unartied gives lots of satisfaction on the lock). I, myself, have never been artied serpent and found stock dstab fine pre and post traits. If you can find a good tutor (unlikely) then I'd go for it for sure. You could probably do it on your own if you're really self sufficient and know your resources. It's really worth it.

It's weird because I can't think of any current good serpents. Someone name a couple to jog my memory? Really don't think there are any..
  • edited November 2012
    I guess I can count that baddy. He was the only one that came to mind and he's a pacifist or something. (he's actually really good though)

Iocun is #1 serpent.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Hide yo children, hide yo wife.

Iocun the bloody pacifist is coming.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Fighting Iocun was fun, but a quote from Futurama describes how it felt losing/the tone of the fight. "I saw. You were doing well until everyone died.".

• Someone posted a link on the old forums to a spreadsheet of crit rates per level, along with DPS increase for each level of pendant. I can't find the link now. Anyone happen to have it?
  • Eld said:
    Someone posted a link on the old forums to a spreadsheet of crit rates per level, along with DPS increase for each level of pendant. I can't find the link now. Anyone happen to have it?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArcRcHHsOcapcFI1ODN4MU5WMVNkT0ZFZmFScFZGQmc&authkey=CKyHv-AO#gid=0
  • Can someone post the skills that are learned at each skill rank in Weaponry?
  • LothienLothien Montréal, Québec
    For a sylvan tsol'aa guard, is Reinforced or Robust better? I have a 69/30 and a 45/58 chain mail, if that makes a difference. I chose Robust because it works in general (magic, physical, etc.), but another person in my House said Reinforced was much better.

• Lothien said:
    For a sylvan tsol'aa guard, is Reinforced or Robust better? I have a 69/30 and a 45/58 chain mail, if that makes a difference. I chose Robust because it works in general (magic, physical, etc.), but another person in my House said Reinforced was much better.
    Probably pretty dependent on whether your more focussed on bashing or combat. Robust is basically 300 extra health (3 per level, really), which isn't all that much, and many adventurer attacks also scale with max health. Decent chainmail's probably good enough for the 15% or whatever Reinforced is to be noticeable, so I would guess that reinforced might be better for combat. Robust is probably more worthwhile for bashing than for combat, since denizen attacks don't scale, but not sure if it would beat out reinforced or not. I'm assuming you already have receptive body? If not, I think that would probably be more worthwhile than either robust or reinforced.

• LothienLothien Montréal, Québec
    Eld said:

Lothien said:
    Probably pretty dependent on whether your more focussed on bashing or combat. Robust is basically 300 extra health (3 per level, really), which isn't all that much, and many adventurer attacks also scale with max health. Decent chainmail's probably good enough for the 15% or whatever Reinforced is to be noticeable, so I would guess that reinforced might be better for combat. Robust is probably more worthwhile for bashing than for combat, since denizen attacks don't scale, but not sure if it would beat out reinforced or not. I'm assuming you already have receptive body? If not, I think that would probably be more worthwhile than either robust or reinforced.

I do! Quick-witted, receptive body, and robust currently.
  • Reinforced is probably too situational to be as useful as robust. Reinforced may be better for PvP against physical attacks that are reduced well by armour and scale to max health, but more health is almost always useful.
  • edited November 2012
    Does quick-witted increase damage taken like nimble does?

Edit: Got my answer in game, it does.
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • Sohl said:
    Does quick-witted increase damage taken like nimble does?

Edit: Got my answer in game, it does.

Wait, it does? They do?
  • Nimble and quick-witted reduce the effectiveness of resistances by 10%. So 20% damage reduction becomes 18%.
  • Sena said:
    Nimble and quick-witted reduce the effectiveness of resistances by 10%. So 20% damage reduction becomes 18%.
    Really? I thought they straight increased damage taken by x%. According to this, I should see a reduction from 10% blunt and 20% cutting (horkval with toughness) to 9% blunt and 18% cutting, so about a 1% increase in blunt damage taken or a 2.5% increase for cutting. I could swear when I tested it when traits came out it was more like 5%. Always possible I'm making that up, though; I didn't really do any more testing than was required to decide that it was worth taking.
  • Wow. That makes everyone just a little bit more like a jester.

And makes jesters a little bit more like an oyster.

• Which Achaean class would be equivalent to a heavily-armoured, AoE (or just room-wide effects) machine? I was playing a bounty hunter in The Old Republic earlier and got curious.
  • Which Achaean class would be equivalent to a heavily-armoured, AoE (or just room-wide effects) machine? I was playing a bounty hunter in The Old Republic earlier and got curious.
    No idea what AoE stands for, but not many classes really have serious room effects. Magi probably closest, I would think (can't wear physical armour, but pretty tanky with diamondskin and the like from what I hear).
  • I'm not familiar with the game/class you're talking about, so I'm not sure what sort of AoE you're looking for. Paladin is heavily armoured, and priest isn't far behind (and probably tankier), both have some room-wide passive effects with rites (paladins also have arc, which hits everyone in the room with your weapon). Runewarden is also heavily armoured, and has arc and hugalaz (there's also othala, which hits all enemies in the entire area, but it's not very strong). Magi doesn't wear actual armour but is pretty tanky, and has crystalism, which is also room-wide passive effects (more than rites). For active room attacks, blademasters are the best with their elemental attacks (annihilation, thunderstorm, blizzard), but they're lightly armoured. I can't think of many other active AoE attacks.
  • What all does a band speed up (or not speed up) for Blademaster? I'm particularly interested in if it speeds up pommelstrike, bladetwist, or impale.