Monk Ridiculousness

Comments

• edited December 2013
    I don't understand this. Doesn't the long time it lasts mean that you can regain kai before the mount comes back? In a sense "high cost, high time" and "low cost, low time" result in more or less the same thing, unless the monk waits too long with banishing.

I like the variant we have far better than low cost/low time, since it forces the monk into a more offensive position, if he wants to gain enough kai while banish still lasts. Low cost/low time encourages defensive fighting, building up to a final burst kill, which breaking classes like monk already lean way too much towards.

As for "can't banish and enfeeble": that's not really a valid argument to support that it is difficult to get an axe kick off, as you don't need to enfeeble for an axe kick. We aren't discussing various finishing tactics here, but simply the viability of a prone/break, followed by an axe combo.
  • Kai Banish:

Opponent cannount MOUNT or VAULT for x amount of time.
  • I find it funny that this thread went from, monks are annoying to all about monk combat and what we think of certain abilities. This is now a combat thread. Heheh

• Just make axk rebound. I mean, it IS an AXE kick!
  • As per the time required to pull off an AXK, I don't think we can say that it's either easy or difficult. It really depends on the class of the opponent, his dexterity level, whether he's mounted, balancing, acrobatics and so many other details. Like I find it extremely easy to prone and break both legs of another Monk, finishing him off with an AXK (or BBT in my case). On the other hand, try to do the same to a high dex Bard/Jester/Shaman and you'll feel like punching the hell out of your laptop, simply because a successful punch seems like a miracle come true. And even then, if you don't break both arms as well, he will most likely tumble past a wall before you have a chance to finish him off.

If they do end up reducing AXK, BBT damage, I would seriously advice on reworking dodging as well, or else I don't see how Monks would be able to kill those three classes I mentioned.

I understand that currently artieashuranmonks are a tad OP, but have mercy on the rest of us. :(
  • Dodging needs to be reworked/deleted anyways.
  • Iocun said:
    Dodging needs to be reworked/deleted anyways.
    Well, you put a broad smile on my face with that, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be too fair then. The only classes that would need Dexterity, would be Serpents (for their stab speed, I think), rendering the skill completely useless for all others. If you think about it, most people have transed out the skill and plenty others have bought arties for this purpose and I'm sure we all know that IRE won't refund anyone.
  • Uhhh. I got prepped with roundhouse as Bard just about as quick as I get prepped as Priest. What is this difficulty you are referring to?

i'm a rebel

• edited December 2013
    While we're at the topic of Monks... I read somewhere that it used to be like 3 (or 4?) BBTs was an instakill. Do want that!!
    That would give us, low Strength Monks a chance as well.  ;;)
  • 4 BBTs still an instantkill
  • Tesha said:
    Uhhh. I got prepped with roundhouse as Bard just about as quick as I get prepped as Priest. What is this difficulty you are referring to?

In that case, I must be the unluckiest person on Earth. People keep dodging my RHK as well.
  • Niraaeth said:
    Iocun said:
    Dodging needs to be reworked/deleted anyways.
    Well, you put a broad smile on my face with that, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be too fair then. The only classes that would need Dexterity, would be Serpents (for their stab speed, I think), rendering the skill completely useless for all others. If you think about it, most people have transed out the skill and plenty others have bought arties for this purpose and I'm sure we all know that IRE won't refund anyone.
    Probably won't just vanish without any replacement, no. But it could be fundamentally reworked into something entirely different.

• Kafziel said:
    4 BBTs still an instantkill
    Just tested with Vayne and nope.
    Plus, it makes no sense to make it 4. Who in the blizzards can pull that off in a one on one? 3 requires a ton of luck as is.
  • edited December 2013
    They have to all be within 10 (not sure on this number) seconds of the previous one for it to count. Last time I tested it (a week or two ago) it was still an instantkill.
  • It is still, yes.
  • Ah, it makes sense now. I did allow some time for Vayne to heal. Thought it allow a few seconds break between them.
  • You gave him time to heal so you could test an instakill. Makes sense.

• edited December 2013
    Monk damage sucks so bad guys. It sucks so bad that I have to let someone sip up to see if my instakill works.

• Meanies! I let him heal so it's not the damage that kills him, but the consecutive 4 bbts.
  • @niraaeth I can get off 3 bbts if I get a quad break.

• Niraaeth said:
    and I'm sure we all know that IRE won't refund anyone.
    Just wanted to address this - I've been refunded quite a few times, and not refunded others. They've been relatively good at when/why they refund, from my experience.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • @Trevize I think Niraaeth meant money refund, not credit refund/exchange.

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Jovolo said:
    Kai Banish: Opponent cannount MOUNT or VAULT for x amount of time.
    Pretty much hamstring with out a slow/stop evade added to it, Anyone could run away till it ended wasting the kai and not letting you get any back. Assuming we're talking about 1v1 here.

• edited December 2013
    One thing I still remember about fighting high damage classes as a bard is don't let them hit you otherwise you're dead.  With monks, it was don't fall over. 

On the positive side,  we're pretty good at dodging/running/not falling over/hindering/standing up so I don't think it's really that big of a deal for a monk to have a really powerful axe.

Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • Change it so that dodging just makes you take a lot less damage from the attack but the attack still hits so the limb damage still goes though. So you still get the reduced damage benefit without completely screwing the prep class.

• Monk prep is already incredibly fast, especially without dodges, they don't need to be able to attempt a finisher every minute.
  • True. Can reduce limb damage overall to offset this. Then again all other limb preps are faster than a Knights.

• to be fair knights also get the two afflictions per slash. They deserve long limb preps.

either way I just experienced my first artiemonk axk. I had about 2900 health left, 101% blunt armor, algiz, and I still died. Fun times!
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • You expected to survive an artied monk axk with 2900 health of 4500ish left?

lmao. oh man.