Range Changes

Comments

• Santar said:
    Most people agree that crush took a bit of an overnerf. I think Monks will probably see some type of compensation for that, so don't go into full blown Penwize mode.
    Fixed.
  • Well, having just had the chance to experience  these changes first hand for monk, it seems that a lot of changes in tactic are going to happen. I understand the desire for melee, and having been on the end of and pre-change Ashtani star tarot/chokefest I can see the need because you don't want 5 people dominating a large number just on class. In the Mhaldor raid that we, were pretty much flat footed but, pre-change we had 4 monks and it would have been a no brainer and we probably wouldn't even have left the Centre Crossings, and we could just pick off one by one, even with out a cata and most of the city would not have been needed.

I am hoping atleast from a Cyrene perspective we can adapt quickly to the changes and come up with some strategies that will help the fact that we are not as grossly involved/adept in combat as many/most other cities.
  • Draqoom said:
    Choke is better now than it was before especially in regards to area borders.
    Definitely agree with that, at least in 1v1. Tumble through icewall into another area used to be a great escape, but now you're still in choke range if you do that.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited November 2013
    That raid had so many problems, but at least we're trying to test out limits and trying new things. Despite morale taking a bit of a kick in the balls, at least we have plenty of room to grow if we can keep focused.

Here's to our hopeful overall improvement and that Cyrenian zerg rush will become a feared weapon!

Edit: In general, withholding opinions on range changes until we're all adjusted and getting used to things again. Hoping with the city destruction changes, it'll make things more fun for both sides with the downgrading of range.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Melodie said:
    That raid had so many problems, but at least we're trying to test out limits and trying new things. Despite morale taking a bit of a kick in the balls, at least we have plenty of room to grow if we can keep focused. Here's to our hopeful overall improvement and that Cyrenian zerg rush will become a feared weapon! Edit: In general, withholding opinions on range changes until we're all adjusted and getting used to things again. Hoping with the city destruction changes, it'll make things more fun for both sides with the downgrading of range.
    All things considered, we should be doing better in melee given our numbers. Then again, Mhaldor brought a lot of raiders while there were only a handful of able defenders online, so the results were kinda expected, I think.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Santar said:

Most people agree that crush took a bit of an overnerf. I think Monks will probably see some type of compensation for that, so don't go into full blown panic mode.

The fuck do you figure? They have the best range in the game and are now in line with every other class' ranged attack parameters.

What are they going to do? Switch class for better range?

This is a deliberate, game-wide revamp. Everyone will conform.

Of course, I'm very excited for the totems, guards, infiltration changes we'll have to make to rebalance. :-bd
  • Veldrin said:
    Get a clue Kinilan

• Looking forward to the next ctf now!

No more will you get instant killed upon entering ashtan's flag area! No more mindnet -> instant 3x warp, 3x staffcast + 2x choke.
  • Now it will be enter room - 3 x warp hound with 3 x... wait no 3x warp hound = dead
  • crush still a monster ability in that it can be done hindered while target is holding breath.
  • Just caught up on this.

A few points:
    - To clear up what I think may be some miscommunication, only crush in telepathy was touched. You still have area wide for everything else.
    - Crush is a bit of a tricky issue because we can't reasonably change mindlock to retain across borders, which makes it not really fit the LoS model like everything else. That said, what made crush so good (the ability to damage out people from miles away where ever they were in area) was specifically a situation we were trying to remove.

• I have biggest crush on Makarios.

No homo.
  • If we still have radiance, monks still have an ability that forces someone to leave or die so now we just have to commit to that(a bit easier now that the some of the other area spam has been taken out).  An observation I would like to share is this does also make it a lot more interesting and friendly for newer adventurers.  Greys's protege, Teslyn, is often frustrated on raids as she is only a borderline blackbelt in tekura which does mean just destroyed during a raid defence and the raids almost never converged into melee.  I remember the same thing back when Greys only had a blackbelt.  Its mostly a nerfing but I do feel it brings things in line with the ranged abilities of other classes.
    @Penwise Despite being mostly unartied (other than 1 bringing Greys to int 12) I can reliably get and hold locks on most anyone I have mindprinted.
  • Mind locks just won't happen in an LoS fight.  Even artied and high-level as I am, it can take me upwards of 15 seconds to get a lock.  Any LoS target is long dead or escaped by then, and during the mind locking I can't use choke and I can't shield if targetted (losing EQ stops the lock).  Mind prints do help, but in a raid you can't possibly have prints on everyone.

Sure, getting locks is reliable in that it'll always happen, it just takes entirely too long to be useful in an LoS fight.

Crush really should be a radius and not an LoS attack, since then at least it would have a niche application of being a followup after someone tumbles away and moves out of choke range.  That's small, but better than having no real range application as it does now I think.  That or just give me back instant mind travel so I can keep up the melee like I used to.
  • Radiance did get a pretty substantially large buff by nerfing all ranged damage.  Much safer to radiance people in certain scenarios now.  Don't have to worry about getting damaged out while you are paused.

• Greys said:

Teslyn, is often frustrated on raids as she is only a borderline blackbelt in tekura

Most people just say gold belt
  • Use choke in LoS, use telepathy to control area. Use crush in 1v1 if you want to, or stop using it.
  • Mizik said:
    Teslyn, is often frustrated on raids as she is only a borderline blackbelt in tekura
    Most people just say gold belt

Ye just say bingo.

• edited November 2013

Makarios said:

Just caught up on this.

A few points:
    - To clear up what I think may be some miscommunication, only crush in telepathy was touched. You still have area wide for everything else.
    - Crush is a bit of a tricky issue because we can't reasonably change mindlock to retain across borders, which makes it not really fit the LoS model like everything else. That said, what made crush so good (the ability to damage out people from miles away where ever they were in area) was specifically a situation we were trying to remove.

But in-so-doing, you made it a LoS ability, which requires a lock, to maintain that lock, and have it be ineffective in some LoS because how can you lock someone if they are outside of your areaIf how things work doesn't make sense for an ability or that ability has been so severely damaged because people are using a 'D: its just too difficult' argument, maybe it should have been thought about a bit more.

EDIT: If you have to limit its range, do an in-area radius of so many rooms and LoS (respecting area boundaries) so you don't fall into the lock restrictions.

• Mizik said:
    http://animorphsforum.com/ebooks/

This is where I have been for the past few weeks. I'm on book 28.
  • Santar said:
    ...was that an Animorphs reference?

Is it 1995?
    My god. I read those books as a child, and I completely forgot about them until now.
  • Yo, you all need to back up off Mizik, those books are awesome.

@Mizik, if you ever want to borrow some paperbacks of them, I have like 40 if I swing over to my parents'.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Animorphs! Have and read all of them.

That website you linked has the Remnant series on it as well, of which I only read the first book like 10 years ago. Awesome!
  • Monk wasn't really nerfed. It was brought in line with the rest of the ranged changes, and is still powerful. (says the hugely artied monk)

You're asking for the wrong changes, Penwize. Ask that locks be made easier/less costly to maintain. Blackout/batter/disrupt is more powerful anyway if you have a group behind you.