Artefact Armour Arrives

Comments

• The difference is nice but not overwhelming for any class except Blademaster, in my eyes. Every other class should have already (if they had one) been wielding SoA whenever they were proned or using EQ/not using quarterstaff. Notably it's only the absorption half of the SoA, not including the resists that are a huge part of its impact. No clue as to how big the resist paragons are, they could be pretty strong though.
    Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
  • I'm just excited about getting SoA on my full-plate... in 55 days bashing time... cos I can't afford to drop 200 euro on a game more than once a year...
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Also important question, along with wondering about grandmaster points.

You can get 3 slots total, first is gotten via armoursmith, second is a level one rondal that gives the second slot, and a level two rondal gives the third. The language of the announce suggests you can buy a level one rondal and get two slots, aka you can just skip getting the first via the armoursmith. Or you may get a level two rondal and get all three slots.

My question is: Can the armoursmith first slot be bypassed in such a manner, or is it absolutely required to get your first slot via a legendary armoursmith?
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Can we add a cool 3rd person message for adding the first embrasure. Every time I do it, I am all like..."Yeah, it's done, we good?"

Everyone seems underwhelmed. Let me like brand a hole in it or something?

• - Embrasures:
    These are insets added to armour that can hold paragons.
    Armour can have up to 3 embrasures.
    The first embrasure is added to armour by a legendary Armoursmith.
    The second and third embrasures must be expanded via rondels.

- Rondels:
    These can be purchased via the artefact cart promotion, or found in the Artefact Armour shop.
    Expand your suit of armours number of embrasures via: EXPAND <armourID> EMBRASURE WITH <rondelID>
       If you use the level 1 Rondel (a gilded rondel):
          You will have armour with 2 embrasures.
          You will have armour that does not decay.
          You will have armour that is resetting.
          You will have armour that is customisable.
       If you use the level 2 Rondel (a sun and starburst rondel):
          You will have armour with 3 embrasures.
          You will have armour that does not decay.
          You will have armour that is resetting.

You will have armour that is customisable.
    If you just directly buy a level 1 Rondel and put it into your armour for two embrasures, do you later need to buy another level 1 Rondel to get three embrasures, or do you need to upgrade your level 1 to a level 2 somehow? How exactly does that work?

Additionally, the paragon that returns damage as endurance. Is that taking the total damage, getting 5% of that less, and returning some endurance up to 1% of your maximum, or is it reliant on how much health you actually lose? Since resistances etc. can lower damage, in theory you'd want to be taking more damage in order to get the most endurance returned if it works that way. (Apologies if this sounds a bit confusing.)
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

My guess and hope, @Sarathai, is that you get an armoursmith slot, and then buy each rondal for each subsequent slot. If it's anything else, that's gonna be a confusing headache.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Given the price increase from 350 to 850, it's likely an upgrade to an artefact power after it's been attached to armour. I doubt they'd let someone buy the 850 model and then be told "oh no, you have to buy the 350 one first!" The cost progressions is fairly similar to an artefact weapon, so probably upgrades the same way.
  • Melodie said:
    Also important question, along with wondering about grandmaster points.

You can get 3 slots total, first is gotten via armoursmith, second is a level one rondal that gives the second slot, and a level two rondal gives the third. The language of the announce suggests you can buy a level one rondal and get two slots, aka you can just skip getting the first via the armoursmith. Or you may get a level two rondal and get all three slots.

My question is: Can the armoursmith first slot be bypassed in such a manner, or is it absolutely required to get your first slot via a legendary armoursmith?

The language of the post, and the syntax, don't suggest that you can just buy a level one rondel and get two slots. However, to confirm:

You may only expand the embrasure of an armour which already possesses an embrasure!

Thanks @Antonius, that's a great confirmation. The way it was worded was just a bit ambiguous.
  • Lucianus said:
    Morphing armour isn't worth it. Waste of embrasure space.

As someone who has a knight and blademaster. It is probably cheaper to buy 2 rondells (700cr). Put each rondell in a ringmail and the other in my fullplate and then pry out the aeneaous paragon (shield of absorption effect) with a normal pry (which costs 5 steel commodities to make) each time I switch inbetween blademaster and knight.

Even with 11 classes, morphing armour doesn't personally seem worth it. I can change class at will (unless I've attacked somebody in the last 10 minutes), but the best cooldown on morphing armour is 6 hours? Fuck that.

Add in the fact you likely can't customise the different types of armour and it becomes even less worthwhile (@Nicola or @Makarios can you just confirm my assumption is correct?). Custom armour is 99% of the reason I want non-decay/artefact armour anyway.

• The whole shebang is way too complicated for me to understand properly. I'm back to harvesting moss. Thanks!
  • Ehm, question @nicola : If you drop the 350cr on the rondel to get the non-decay, reset and customisation, do you have to pay the regular 50cr for customisation on top of that?

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    edited July 2016
    Not blown away by the effects of the paragons, to be honest, I can see the benefit of the SoA type effect for those classes that can't already use SoA (2h, druid, etc), but not being able to wear it as a dragon means it's even less appealing.

I did want customisable armour but not prepared to pay 400cr + first embrasure (saw someone asking 50cr for that alone), especially with base armour prices being so cheap.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • edited July 2016
    50cr for embrasure?! They don't even cost that much to do. Like 25 steel and 12 cloth.

Even the pries cost only 5 steel commodities to make.

Screw paying real credits for such a service. Would rather use that 50cr to buy a shit ton of steel and get to legendary blacksmith myself.
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • Klendathu said:
    Not blown away by the effects of the paragons, to be honest, I can see the benefit of the SoA type effect for those classes that can't already use SoA (2h, druid, etc), but not being able to wear it as a dragon means it's even less appealing.
    Yeah, one of the reasons I'm disinterested in the SoA function for armour is because even if I get it in armour for lesserform, I then can't use it in dform. I'm not going to pay 1000cr for a SoA effect that I only get in lesserform. I might consider, depending on what the SoA effect availability now means for quarterstaff + SoA combinations, putting my SoA into my staff (and then just keep it wielded in dform rather than swapping to the SoA... although I'll miss using SoA and dirk in lesser as Druid if I do), but I'm not about to buy the paragon for it.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    IRE has traditionally not given out the specifics on stuff like that. It's always fallen to the players to buy one, do a spot of testing, and report.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Erm ...
    HELP ARTEFACTS DEFENSIVE:

Ring of the Magus: 700
       - Offers protection vs. magical damage. (Approximately 15% protection.)
    I'd say the precedent set is that they do advertise approximate resistance benefits, and I'd say that to not do so would make it very difficult to make an informed decision about which of these to purchase.
  • Given that most will be spending RL money on it, hiding exactly what you're buying is poor form.

• edited July 2016
    Daeir said:
    I posted my thoughts on this in Rants since it was too negative to go in here.

Not impressed with the precedent this sets for the future, to be perfectly blunt. Cool system with potentially long-reaching influences, and to see it gated behind credit purchases is an absolute travesty. That and hiding the values the paragons give is the shiftiest thing I've seen IRE do since the Talisman of Binding.

Visit the menace if you want to see the rest, I guess.
    Not entirely sure what the bolded is supposed to mean. You can buy all of these items from the artefact store with in-game credits, just like every other artefact that isn't part of a promotion. It's currently cheaper to buy it as part of the promotion, but it's not like you only have a month to obtain artefact armour, or that you have to pay any RL cash to get them.
  • Lucianus said:
    50cr for embrasure?! They don't even cost that much to do. Like 25 steel and 12 cloth.
    The cost for an embrasure depends on the particular armour type. It's twice the commodity cost for the armour without descriptors, as far as I can see. Adding an embrasure to a suit of fullplate is 200 steel, 20 gold, 20 cloth, 20 leather.

To be honest, I can't really fault people for finally wanting to cash in on the huge investment required to level up Armoursmithing now there's something people are going to want to pay for.
    Antonius said:
    Lucianus said:
    The cost for an embrasure depends on the particular armour type. It's twice the commodity cost for the armour without descriptors, as far as I can see. Adding an embrasure to a suit of fullplate is 200 steel, 20 gold, 20 cloth, 20 leather.

To be honest, I can't really fault people for finally wanting to cash in on the huge investment required to level up Armoursmithing now there's something people are going to want to pay for.
    Yeah uh, 50cr isn't going to get you even to Master, much less legendary.

Rough estimate is that you will very easily spend at least eight million gold's worth of commodities on your way to legendary, and that's if you do it as cheaply as possible, smelt, and try to supplement with your own commodities gotten via mining etc. It could easily rise much higher for the "nicer" descriptors.

I don't know about charging 50cr, but I'd definitely charge a nice pocketful of credits if I was up there.

(Still wish it was grandmaster instead of legendary, though.)
  • I just did a cursory scan of this thread, so sorry if this question has been answered, but am I the only one that's super pissed that I spent so much time/gold becoming a smith just to have most of my business taken away by non-decay armour?
    I understand I'll still be able to sell armour for the people that need a piece to non-decay, but now that customer will only ever buy one item from me, instead of 1 every, what, 80 IG months? And now people will ONLY be going to legendary smiths, because they can make the armour and fit it, so any additional smithing is going to be straight from my own pocket.
    Either I'm going to have to start charging out the ass, or I might as well drop my smithing tradeskills.
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • So there's something I'm wondering about all of this, especially in light of the whole "dragons still can't wear armour" thing. How are horkvals going to be affected by this? I know @Makarios said the reason dragons wouldn't be able to use it is b/c of dragonarmour and their base resists, but will the same be true for horkvals? Iirc horkval cutting/blunt resist used to be slightly better than leather armour, not sure if this is still the case, but if that is true it seems like it wouldn't be very advantageous to be a horkval now, even for the classes that can only use cloth/leather armour. 
  • Omor said:
    I just did a cursory scan of this thread, so sorry if this question has been answered, but am I the only one that's super pissed that I spent so much time/gold becoming a smith just to have most of my business taken away by non-decay armour?
    I understand I'll still be able to sell armour for the people that need a piece to non-decay, but now that customer will only ever buy one item from me, instead of 1 every, what, 80 IG months? And now people will ONLY be going to legendary smiths, because they can make the armour and fit it, so any additional smithing is going to be straight from my own pocket.
    Either I'm going to have to start charging out the ass, or I might as well drop my smithing tradeskills.
    You won't have a lot of people taking it up Omor. To get it non-decay/resetting it's still a 350cr investment.

And you'll also have people who'll just buy a paragon and and say bugger the rest so will still have to buy new armour every 60 IG months.

• @Xaden
    I realise it's not going to 100% wipe out armoursmithing, it's just.. super frustrating after dumping literally millions of gold into a tradeskill that was supposed to have a long term return. I kinda just needed to vent.
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • Omor said:
    @Xaden
    I realise it's not going to 100% wipe out armoursmithing, it's just.. super frustrating after dumping literally millions of gold into a tradeskill that was supposed to have a long term return. I kinda just needed to vent.
    I feel ya, buddy. Was just trying to be reassuring. Sure give it a RL month or two and see if there's a big difference and then make your decision, don't jump the gun and wipe the skill yet.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Omor said:
    @Xaden
    If you've spent millions on it, I have to assume you're Master/Grandmaster/Legendary or close. If that's true, I'm pretty confident you'll make more return off charging for Embrasures than selling regular armour. I don't know what lucrative contracts you've lined up for your regular armour crafting, but I know most have my work has been done basically pro bono. Folks on the whole don't care about fancy descriptors, a lot of folks I've done work for just want basic equipment, which you can't charge much of anything for. Embrasures, on the other hand, for anyone who buys the SoA paragon but doesn't want to shell out for the actual rondel, are going to be a recurring demand that you can actually charge something for.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited July 2016
    Lucianus said:

Even the pries cost only 5 steel commodities to make.

Screw paying real credits for such a service. Would rather use that 50cr to buy a shit ton of steel and get to legendary blacksmith myself.
    50 credits is way below the value of what it takes to get to Legendary Smithing. I did it as a labor of love and before this never once charged for the armour I made other than the commodities. This opportunity is not one I am passing up. 

Edit: Was a dick without coffee, apologies. 
  • It cost me the gold equivalent of around 1500 credits to get to Legendary, give or take a bit. Just from Grandmaster to Legendary was around 6 million gold if I recall correctly. (I don't mine and a good part of my smithing was done when iron was more expensive.)

I'm willing to go along with whatever the other smiths think is fair regarding pricing - 25-50cr for non-citymates seems more than fair to me (and is also the only way legendary smiths will ever make back what we've spent, let alone turn a profit - I knew that going into it but having the opportunity to do so now is still nice). If you have the credits to purchase paragons and rondels, you ought to be able to afford that price for an embrasure.

@Melodie - I personally just did the math - FORGING LIST shows which descriptors you've completely mastered, multiply them by the points for each level, and then going forward have a plan for which descriptors you'll work on to make up the difference. Keep in mind that the 60 you did for Grandmaster counts towards the 200, so you only need 140 more.

• Can morphing be applied to any armour? And can it change into any armour? 

If I buy leather and class switch to Runie, can I morph it into fullplate?