Artefact Armour Arrives

Comments

• Aerek said:
    Omor said:
    @Xaden
    I realise it's not going to 100% wipe out armoursmithing, it's just.. super frustrating after dumping literally millions of gold into a tradeskill that was supposed to have a long term return. I kinda just needed to vent.
    If you've spent millions on it, I have to assume you're Master/Grandmaster/Legendary or close. If that's true, I'm pretty confident you'll make more return off charging for Embrasures than selling regular armour. I don't know what lucrative contracts you've lined up for your regular armour crafting, but I know most have my work has been done basically pro bono. Folks on the whole don't care about fancy descriptors, a lot of folks I've done work for just want basic equipment, which you can't charge much of anything for. Embrasures, on the other hand, for anyone who buys the SoA paragon but doesn't want to shell out for the actual rondel, are going to be a recurring demand that you can actually charge something for.
    I'm halfway through virtuoso, and it's still millions (2-3mil). I've been working on highest grade descriptors though, to make the trek to Legendary easier. But since I'm only virtuoso, I can't do anything but make pries, and those are going to go for what.. 2-3cr? Since a pryall is 10cr? Again, not worth the return in the long run.
    And once the initial rush dies down, embrasures will be fairly cheap too, as it's only 25 steel and 12 cloth, as @Lucianus pointed out, and us smiths will be driving each other down to get business.
    Unless we all want to collaborate and agree on a set price for embrasures, which I'm 100% down with.
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • The cost of an embrasure is, as I posted earlier, double the base commodity cost of that armour type (unless it's been changed since this morning). In some cases that's less than 25 steel and 12 cloth In other cases (notably fullplate) it's considerably more.

I'm sure it sucks that non-decay armour is going to eat into all that profit you definitely weren't making on Armoursmithing, though.
  • This would actually be an interesting chance for smiths to work together to set prices. Seems like it'd be pretty doable, with the small number of people.

Not that I think it'll happen, of course. "Free (or exceedingly cheap) to city mates" is basically the mantra of the entire achaean economy.
  • Keorin said:
    This would actually be an interesting chance for smiths to work together to set prices. Seems like it'd be pretty doable, with the small number of people.

Not that I think it'll happen, of course. "Free (or exceedingly cheap) to city mates" is basically the mantra of the entire achaean economy.
    I will neither confirm or deny that there have been conversations
  • edited July 2016
    The HELP ARTEFACT ARMOUR is updated to give approximate percentages of the resistances.

Sorry about the delay, I didn't have the numbers until just now.

If you notice any paragons are giving significantly different reductions to the % listed in the above HELP, please file a bug.

• Health

Without: No defenses or artefacts

With: Magic paragon and no defenses or artefacts

Melodie has level 3 collar (don't know if this matters)

Dragon INC:
    Without                         |     With

1340 Dmg (31.5 percent)              937 damage (22.0 percent)

DECAY:

Without                         |     With

1152 Dmg (27 percent)              633 damage (14.9 percent)

Helewys has level 2 collar

STAFFCAST:

1189 Dmg (27.9 percent)       |      921 Dmg (21.6 percent)

Errant spikes jut out from this brutal-looking ring mail. Cruel barbs jut out at sharp angles from 
    this wicked-looking ring mail.
    It weighs about 80 pounds.
    It bears the distinctive mark of Leviticus.
    This armour has 3 embrasures.
    The following paragons have been inserted:
    1: a citreous paragon (paragon232275)     magic damage protection
    2: an aeneaous paragon (paragon417591)     Absorption effect
    3: a nacreous deltahedral paragon (paragon424404)     morphing (level 3)
    It will reset to you.

I am thinking of buying a blunt, cutting and poison leather one for Monk
  • Makarios said:
    There's not really a compelling reason any class should be denied SoA's rng effect when runewarden can be walking around with one.
    Does this mean you'll reconsider what type of shield a SoA is treated as for sword and shield spec? If I can get the absorption effect on armour anyway then the only difference is the stats between a buckler and the Shield of Absorption, which I feel should be worth the 800 credits that it costs. (I'm classleading it either way, just feel that I have a much stronger case now!)

Also, just want to state that it seemed pretty unfair to accuse you guys of some dastardly scheme by not supplying the numbers, even though nobody (at least in this thread that I saw) had even bothered to ask for them.
  • I'm open to talking about the SoA shield class being reevaluated, probably need to look at the distribution there to make some of the other shield types more attractive anyway.
  • Can someone post the new info? I'm at work but I need my fix!

• edited July 2016
    19:10:16 Artefact Armour

18 < MISCELLANEOUS                             HOUSING > 20

Artefacts are special items that can be purchased only with Bound Credits.
    Unless otherwise stated, artefacts can be purchased in Merentesh's series of
    shops in Delos. They will reset into your inventory frequently, which means
    they cannot be loaned out, or stolen(!), for very long. Some only work for
    the owner. They never decay. They cannot be changed to reset to anyone else's
    inventory, so do not buy artefacts of any kind if you intend to sell them.

What Are Embrasures, Paragons, And Rondels?
    -------------------------------------------
    Embrasures are indentations made in a suit of armour that can hold Paragons.

Paragons are artefacts that can be inserted into an empty embrasure, they
    have various special effects and bonuses.

Rondels are armour pieces that are used with a suit of armour that has one
    embrasure already added. These will make the armour non-decay, resetting,
    customisable (via CUSTOMISATION) and will expand the embrasure count (up to a
    maximum of three embrasures).

How To Make Artefact Armour
    ---------------------------
    Take your suit of decaying, normal armour to a Legendary Armoursmith, ask them
    to add an EMBRASURE to it (EMBRASURE <armour>). This will cost you commodities
    (use FORGINGCOMMS EMBRASURE <armour type> to see how many) and give your armour
    one embrasure. Then purchase a Rondel from the artefact armour shop in Delos and
    EXPAND <armourID> EMBRASURE WITH <rondelID>.

Note About Stacking and Paragons
    --------------------------------
    Artefact effects (for similar artefacts) don't combine or stack. If you have,
    say, a Shield of Absorption and an aneaous paragon, then only one will work.

You cannot have two paragons of the same type in any one piece of armour.

----------------
    ARMOUR ARTEFACTS
    ----------------

Shield of Absorption: 800 credits
      - Gives a 15% chance that a physical attack will be completely absorbed.
        Must be wielded. Stats on the shield are: 11% cutting, 11% Blunt.
        * May be used by all classes except Blademasters.
        * You may wield two if you wish, but it will be no more effective
          than wielding one!

Rondels: EXPAND <armourID> EMBRASURE WITH <rondelID>
      - A gilded rondel:                   350 credits
        Armour becomes: 2 embrasures, non-decay, resetting, and customisable.
      - A sun and starburst rondel:        850 credits
        Armour becomes: 3 embrasures, non-decay, resetting, and customisable.

Paragons: INSERT <paragon> INTO <armour> [EMBRASURE 1-3]
      - a fuscous paragon:                 500 credits
        Bonus resistance vs blunt type damage. (Approx 5%)
      - a vinaceous paragon:               500 credits
        Bonus resistance vs cutting type damage. (Approx 5%)
      - a viridescent paragon:             500 credits
        Bonus resistance vs poison type damage. (Approx 7%)
      - a piceous paragon:                 500 credits
        Bonus resistance vs asphyxiation type damage. (Approx 7%)
      - a citreous paragon:                450 credits
        Bonus resistance vs magic type damage. (Approx 7%)
      - an aurous paragon:                 400 credits
        Bonus resistance vs psychic type damage. (Approx 7%)
      - a cyaneous paragon:                400 credits
        Bonus resistance vs cold type damage. (Approx 7%)
      - an oleaginous paragon:             400 credits
        Bonus resistance vs fire type damage. (Approx 7%)
      - a caliginous paragon               400 credits
        Bonus resistance vs electricity type damage. (Approx 7%)
      - a nacreous tetrahedral paragon:    800 credits
        Morphing armour, 7 day cooldown.
        MORPHARMOUR <armourID> INTO <armour type>
        This paragon cannot be pried from the armour when on cooldown.
      - a nacreous octahedral paragon:    1200 credits
        Morphing armour, 1 day cooldown.
      - a nacreous deltahedral paragon:   1900 credits
        Morphing armour, 6 hour cooldown.
      - a cupreous paragon:                250 credits
        Container! Your armour can hold up to 20 items.
        This paragon cannot be pried when items remain inside the armour.
      - an aeneaous paragon:              1000 credits
        Shield of Absorption effect!
        This paragon will NOT stack with an actual Shield of Absorption.
      - a niveous paragon                  400 credits
        A portion of incoming damage from denizens will be returned to you
        as endurance.

Command Summary:
    ----------------
    For Armoursmiths:
    - FORGINGCOMMS EMBRASURE <armour type>
     How many and which commodities are needed to add an embrasure to an armourtype.
    - EMBRASURE <armourID>
     Add 1st embrasure to a suit of armour.

For Weaponsmiths:
    - FORGINGCOMMS PRY
     How many and which commodities are needed to forge a pry.
    - FORGE FOR PRY
     Forge a pry.

For Everyone:
    - INSERT <paragonID> INTO <armourID> [EMBRASURE 1-3]
     Insert a paragon into an empty embrasure.
    - EXPAND <armourID> EMBRASURE WITH <rondelID>
     Expand your armour's number of embrasures with a rondel.
     Up to a maximum of 3 embrasures.
    - PRY <armourID> EMBRASURE <1
     Pry a paragon from an embrasure.
     Pry is consumed on use.
     You cannot pry a paragon that is on cooldown.
    - PRYALL <armourID>
     With a pryall, pry all paragons from an armour's embrasures at once.
     Pryall is consumed on use.
     You cannot pry a paragon that is on cooldown.

(see also HELP ARTEFACTS, HELP ARTEFACT TRADEINS, HELP ARTEFACT TRANSFERS)

18 < MISCELLANEOUS                             HOUSING > 20

•    Nicola said:
    @Exelethril All customisations will go through the normal process of oversight.

Customisations need to go all around.. kind of makes descriptors.. well pointless. who is going to pay for comms needed to make a nice suit of armour when they can jus add another 50 creds to have it look better than anything in game so far? I feel bad for whomever you had create all of those descriptors for the initial system setup :#
  • Wasn't exactly hard to predict that basically nobody except the people actually levelling armour and weapon smithing would give a damn about descriptors, though. Nobody was paying for the comms to make a "nice" suit of armour when they couldn't just add another 50 credits to have it look better than anything forged, so this really isn't going to change anything.
  • Just point out how the damage classes have once again taken a nerf, but nothing is being addressed with the efficiency, speed and deadliness of afflicting.. can there be a paragorn to make afflictions or venoms have a 5% chance of not working or something.... no one honestly dies to damage now a days anyways, its either an insta-kill or venomlock.

• Antonius said:
    Wasn't exactly hard to predict that basically nobody except the people actually levelling armour and weapon smithing would give a damn about descriptors, though. Nobody was paying for the comms to make a "nice" suit of armour when they couldn't just add another 50 credits to have it look better than anything forged, so this really isn't going to change anything.

Yeah, true.. but with these cool Armour changes.. now the legit ONLY purpose of an armour smith is to make the initial piece of armour.. and then spend about 10-20Million gold on comms to get legend smith. for a one time Embrasure, and then... back to being worthless

Going to be worse now, because eventually everyone is going to have non decay armour atleast before they would run out every 60 months.

• I feel like a lot of people will be dissuaded by the 350 credit price tag, especially given that it doesn't even make their armor more effective.

Really though, I feel that the price of modifiers was a bigger factor then anything else. Very few people cared about before we got artie armor, and it was hard to when some of the modifiers that added the most personality (like color) had the potential to be very expensive for something that was going to decay in a few months anyways.
  • Keorin said:
    I feel like a lot of people will be dissuaded by the 350 credit price tag, especially given that it doesn't even make their armor more effective.

Really though, I feel that the price of modifiers was a bigger factor then anything else. Very few people cared about before we got artie armor, and it was hard to when some of the modifiers that added the most personality (like color) had the potential to be very expensive for something that was going to decay in a few months anyways.
    I think I'm on to my third set of white fullplate which I know has cost Garis a fortune, but for RP reasons (the little bit of RP that I really do) it makes sense to be a little silly with gold where that's concerned.

He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Xaden said:
    Keorin said:
    I feel like a lot of people will be dissuaded by the 350 credit price tag, especially given that it doesn't even make their armor more effective.

I think I'm on to my third set of white fullplate which I know has cost Garis a fortune, but for RP reasons (the little bit of RP that I really do) it makes sense to be a little silly with gold where that's concerned.

You're Tommy from the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers?
  • Aesi said:
    Xaden said:
    Keorin said:

You're Tommy from the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers?
    GDI Aesi!!
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• edited July 2016
    I wanted to say the White Power Ranger, but that sounds very bad
  • Proficy said:

Just point out how the damage classes have once again taken a nerf, but nothing is being addressed with the efficiency, speed and deadliness of afflicting.. can there be a paragorn to make afflictions or venoms have a 5% chance of not working or something.... no one honestly dies to damage now a days anyways, its either an insta-kill or venomlock.

If you're ignoring a large section of the game's playerbase, then sure, "no one" dies to damage nowadays. You also have to consider that damage classes have essentially been enjoying an 18 month long buff, since the standardised armour stats were generally worse than the top tier armour people were using under the old forging system. That's now been reversed only for the small percentage of the playerbase who are willing - and able - to spend a minimum of 1350 credits on artefact armour.
  • Antonius said:
    Makarios said:
    There's not really a compelling reason any class should be denied SoA's rng effect when runewarden can be walking around with one.
    Does this mean you'll reconsider what type of shield a SoA is treated as for sword and shield spec? If I can get the absorption effect on armour anyway then the only difference is the stats between a buckler and the Shield of Absorption, which I feel should be worth the 800 credits that it costs. (I'm classleading it either way, just feel that I have a much stronger case now!)
    Would also use SoA tower shield for dragonform purposes. Also Grove staves becoming 1h like Magi ones to open up general SoA usage.

Pretty sure both of those are somewhere on the far side of "not gonna happen" though.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• @Makarios Are the resistance paragons actually resistances or are they like armour?
  • Yeah, love that there's a legitimate argument for making SoA a buckler for SnB. 

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Sena said:
    @Makarios Are the resistance paragons actually resistances or are they like armour?
    "Bonus resistance vs blunt type damage" plus their comment on how resistances interact makes me think they're actually resistances.
    Huh. Neat.
    Atalkez said:
    Yeah, love that there's a legitimate argument for making SoA a buckler for SnB. 
    Give SoA one embrasure. Only paragon useable in it is morph.
    Huh. Neat.
    Anyone know what the balance time on prying is, if there is one?
    Huh. Neat.
  • edited July 2016
    Antonius said:
    The cost of an embrasure is, as I posted earlier, double the base commodity cost of that armour type (unless it's been changed since this morning). In some cases that's less than 25 steel and 12 cloth In other cases (notably fullplate) it's considerably more.

I'm sure it sucks that non-decay armour is going to eat into all that profit you definitely weren't making on Armoursmithing, though.

Sass noted. The issue isn't that it's going to make it so I can't get rich off armoursmithing (everyone knew that wasn't possible before). The issue is now armoursmiths are practically useless, as noted by Prof here.
    Proficy said:

Yeah, true.. but with these cool Armour changes.. now the legit ONLY purpose of an armour smith is to make the initial piece of armour.. and then spend about 10-20Million gold on comms to get legend smith. for a one time Embrasure, and then... back to being worthless

Going to be worse now, because eventually everyone is going to have non decay armour atleast before they would run out every 60 months.

Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
    Omor said:
    Antonius said:
    The cost of an embrasure is, as I posted earlier, double the base commodity cost of that armour type (unless it's been changed since this morning). In some cases that's less than 25 steel and 12 cloth In other cases (notably fullplate) it's considerably more.

Sass noted. The issue isn't that it's going to make it so I can't get rich off armoursmithing (everyone knew that wasn't possible before). The issue is now armoursmiths are practically useless, as noted by Prof here.
    Proficy said:

You could say the exact same thing about artefact weapons.

Are weaponsmiths still in business? Yes. Yes they are.
    Huh. Neat.
  • @Omor You're both acting like everybody is going to go out and buy non-decay armour for 350 credits, which simply isn't going to happen. For a start, most people don't have the credits. Some of them won't ever have the credits. Most of those who do have the credits at some point will have other things they'll spend them on instead. All of those people are still going to require armour every 60 RL days.

Your ability to get rich - or even make any profit - isn't really any worse than it was yesterday, especially since you could likely make more from embrasures than you ever would from any one person buying cheap forged armour from you specifically during the course of playing.