The new houses and their role in the modern day Achaea

I feel like the new houses are glorified High Clans with a wisp of memory of what Houses used to be. 

Sure, it's supposed to be RP and player driven commitment that turns the Houses into something more and something meaningful, but do you really see that happening with every house in every city in todays achaea?

What's your feel with the new houses now that the renaissance is done and over with?

Comments

• AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    Oh, the epic wall of text I could write... 
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • Rangor said:
    I feel like the new houses are glorified High Clans with a wisp of memory of what Houses used to be. 

Sure, it's supposed to be RP and player driven commitment that turns the Houses into something more and something meaningful, but do you really see that happening with every house in every city in todays achaea?

What's your feel with the new houses now that the renaissance is done and over with?
    Our two houses definitely feel a lot more convoluted. It has been a hard thing to get them really grounded. I guess part of it, is that for the houses to feel like 'a home' it takes time to establish history and philosophy. The old houses were very old, steeped in events and lore that developed for ages. It hasn't been my favourite change, that's for sure, but it's just going to take time, I think.

• i came back and houses were incredibly confusing at first, and now it seems looking at them, for Cyrene, one is pvp one is RP and the other hunting/exploring/rp. Of course this isn't true, but it kinda feels like that from reading help files and then attempting to join one. Iunno I miss guilds though, even though I think auto class was a good change.
  • The houses are going to be whatever the players put into them. Everyone's given a base to build on but it's going to be up to the players to put the effort in. Encourage the review of history, understanding root history, develop tradition. It's a long haul, but you just have to keep on it.
  • edited December 2015
    Mixed feelings, coming from an Eleusis perspective.

On the one hand, I definitely think new houses were necessary as part of the Renaissance. Some houses had built up a truly staggering amount of inertia over the years (and from what I've heard from speaking with people in other cities/houses, it's not unique to Eleusis). I get the feeling that in some cases, people just wanted to make the new houses into reskinned versions of the old ones, complete with the same leadership, the same rules, the same people (and the same grudges against people), even the same househalls/hangout spots/whatever. Sometimes not even reskinned versions (beyond a name change), which adds up to a lot of pushback. Some players even went dormant because their house vanished.

(As an aside to this, I would support term limits for house/city leader positions. Nobody needs to be a HL for more than maybe thirty or forty IG years at the most.)

Anyway, pushing back too hard defeats the point. There was going to be a shift no matter what. Admin flat-out saying "there is going to be a change" means denying it winds up as the equivalent of putting your hands over your ears, sticking your head in the sand, and shouting "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" until people give up in disgust. And all that will get you is a mouthful of sand.

On the other hand, in that shift from old to new, regardless of whether somebody creates something new or tries to resurrect the old, the old houses also had a staggering amount of history behind them, a weight of lore and tradition that it felt good to be a part of. And a lot of that history will be lost as old players go dormant. Maybe pulling people from the old houses into clans (e.g. the Druids and Sylvans) helps preserve some of it (although the Druids clan doesn't exactly get a lot of traffic, but perhaps that's partly the fault of the players).

I was a rogue for roughly the first forty IG years of my time in Achaea (on Sarathai, anyway - I had a couple of characters before him that are gone now) before I joined Eleusis, and when I came back from dormancy I wasn't a full member of the Druids for very long before the Renaissance (second last person to reach HR5, I think, and had the Renaissance happened a couple of weeks earlier I would have been the last). But I definitely spent a lot of time digging through all the news posts, the HHELP history files, and so on. Reading about what had happened in the past, and I can't do that any more. Well, I can read the history files, because they're saved in the clan we're using now, but the news posts in particular are gone. And although my promotion to HR5 wasn't the ritual the Heartwood Kin have, I still found it a lot more meaningful than I do taking part in the Kin ones. It felt weightier.

From that perspective, I can understand people wanting to try and save some of what they had in the old houses rather than being forced into new ones, even if (I think) it can easily cross the line into cannibalism of the old. In that sense, mourning the loss isn't a bad thing at all. Of course, I don't have the perspective of a new player now either. I'd be interested to know what people who weren't a part of the old houses think of going through their own HR5 promotion.

I also suspect that, over time, this sense will probably fade (for me, at least). Barring some catastrophe or the like, new players will appear and new history/philosophy will develop, and things will become more grounded. The new players will move to the forefront, and so on and so forth.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• Cyrene and Targ in particular seem to have really made their Houses something unique, new and fitting. I was actually really excited about the Outriders when I first came back, though I don't think I'll be joining them (or anyone else) on my main. Will possibly write a lengthier post when I'm not in a phone maybe if I feel like it (I won't.)
  • Some days I feel our house structure has successfully recreated corporate America, but all in all I find it quite fun.

then again, being newer, I lack the burden of nostalgia
  • Meh       

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    You can't expect the new houses, especially those in the cities most recently to go through the Renaissance, to compare with what's gone before. Give it time.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
      Klendathu said:
    You can't expect the new houses, especially those in the cities most recently to go through the Renaissance, to compare with what's gone before. Give it time.
     To add to that I'd say Houses were different from Guilds frmo what I've heard, and the point was that the old wasn't working as well anymore and something new needed to happen.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• As with all things there were some success and some failures when it comes down to the new houses post renaissance. Take a look at house influence for example. It is clear that some houses are more active than others, their members doing more over all. Whereas some houses may not be living up to their fullest potential, this could be coming from differing viewpoints within the house, or the house not having a clear direction for itself. One must remember that just because something looks great on paper doesn’t mean that it will actually be great when it comes to it functioning. Tweaks and adjustments must constantly be made in order to ensure that the house is at its optimal levels. When people are slow to, or unwilling to do this it hinders the house even further. 

• I feel the new Ashtani Houses have fairly clear mandates and cultures.

The main difference between now and then seems to be a focus on the city in general. Whereas before all the Houses were sort of doing their own thing, the new purpose for those organizations is to be part of a greater whole. Now the choice of House has more to do with how you prefer to spend your time during day-to-day activities rather than reflecting your overall values and philosophical outlook. Granted, Ashtan may be an abnormal example, since we've received a radical (and awesome[/forumrp]) new direction, but this does seem to be the case for our new Houses, at the very least.
  • Using house influence to judge how good a house is is pretty ridiculous. The old top houses were often the ones with the most toxicity, too. Some of the overall best houses as far as being an actual cohesive environment were always middling-low influence.
  • edited December 2015
    Rangor said:

I disagree, personally. As Reiloch said the Ashtani ones in particular have pretty clear goals and such that they've been working towards. Savants seem like they're still in a bit of a slump since Morro disappeared as soon as they were formed. Ariettie might be working on that (hopefully) - Regarding the whole 'wisp of memory' thing, I think that's because older houses had been around for something close to a decade. Things take time and effort to return to that.

I don't think it was like this in the past, either. There were always some houses that were lagging behind others, but such is the nature when you have so many orgs at once; population ebbs and flows, sometimes Ashtan feels barren, sometimes it feels like we have way more than any other city.

At the start, I was pretty skeptical and very nearly quit since Arditi vanished and left Consortium in a huge blank spot, with lots of stuff left unfinished. Drama from certain people just made this problem worse, and made more in the house leave. Nowadays though, the worst seems to have passed, and the house is actually feeling pretty fun to be with. @Grandue / @Josoul / @Skarash have been invaluable with helping the house recover from Arditi's disappearance. Can't speak for the other Ashtani (or other city) houses, but Consortium certainly feels like fun.

• The new Hashani houses are great, the city really needed the upheaval.

• edited December 2015
    Daeir said:
    Stuff about house identities
    So so so much this

• I've been pondering this question for a while, and overall I find myself pretty unhappy with a lot of how the renaissance has left things.

I think that few of the houses seem to have come close to living up to their potential, let alone filling the role of those that came before. Part of this is probably due to the very inorganic way that they were founded, I suspect. While most really stellar organizations have evolved somewhat organically, the renaissance required the creation of several brand-new organizations just cut from whole cloth, as it were, and I think that's often left it hard for them to grow beyond their mechanical foundings.

The Outriders (my house) is a prime example of this, where the house was founded with a very interesting hr1-5 structure, but in the almost year and a half that it's been around has undeniably failed to grow beyond that. It was founded by bureaucrats rather then visionaries, and it shows. This sort of thing is a matter of time, of course, but after being in the house for nearly a year and a half it's hard not to be a little discouraged, at times, that it usually just feels like a second CT, with virtually nothing in the way of activities or the like to define us (we still don't have a single ceremony or graduation and have yet to have any real sort of contest or the like). Due largely to how the house was founded, I think rp has never taken the forefront, and that's making it incredibly hard to grow into an engaging environment. (though in the outrider's case, perhaps this is no surprise. Did anyone think that sticking the Mojushai and the Kindred together and trying to make something new out of it would result in a thriving, active house?)

This problem has felt mirrored to some degree in every house I've heard a lot about or been a part of (though most seem to have done better). Most often feel like usually well-designed sets of requirements, when they've been filled with awesome people, it's seemed difficult for them to develop into a cohesive unit beyond the mechanical superstructure. I too am hopeful that a new rp focus could really help with this, but it sometimes feels like we have as much inertia as the old Mojushai had, and that it's going to take some big changes in house structure/leadership paradigms/house focus before things will ever really get going. And I worry seeing some of the other houses that they're going in the same direction, and that we may have replaced the old slow houses with new slow houses.
  • edited December 2015
    For Greys, there is a lot of redundancy so he cannot have any sense of identity from his house. What Greys does as a Harbinger overlaps completely with his order and city work (other than Ministry work). I guess the idea was to break down the subcultures within the cities between the houses but it then undermines the point of those subdivisions to begin with. For him, the Navy is far more of a cultural influence and something he identifies with than any of his other orgs.
  • I have to repeat above mentioned impression that Houses kind of feel like simply a focused set of requirements stuck on top of CT. Perhaps especially so in a heavily factional city as the city really has one goal and the whole city will probably be combatant to some degree but also theological. The Houses don't compete in anything really, there's no real perk to being in one House over the other.

I love the Harbs for what it is, because it's a small tiny group of really awesome people, but mechanically, like I said, I don't actually see much purpose to Houses, other than dividing people in yet another way (two Orders being the first divider).
  • The Consortium has come a long way and it has been a lot of fun so far. I'm extremely excited about the culture we're building and very hopeful for the future of our house. One of the biggest things I've learned is that in new houses everyone kind of feels lost and directionless. There is a vacuum of clearly defined purpose and people can easily get depressed because they don't feel a part of something larger than themselves. It is up to the leaders to set the tone for the house. Be creative with your own RP, stay in character, come up with IC reasons why things are being delayed or taking forever. 

I highly recommend working with the other houses in your city to help one another build their brand. Put in novice requirements that make them need to interview someone from X house about X topic or meet with Y house in order to train in the art of Y. Build up the other houses, speak highly of them, look for ways to help them. By focusing not on yourself and making your own house the "best house" in your city you go a long way in developing your own brand and reputation. 

Also, giving people responsibilities is a great way to get them invested in the house. You can't do everything yourself, you need people to help you. You need a house item designed? Put out a call asking for someone to take over the project. Need a program developed? Create a position where that responsibility falls under. Someone isn't doing their job? Don't let them stay in that position for 20 IG years before replacing them just because they are your friend and you want to give them time to "settle in". They either need to come out of the gate going a million miles an hour trying to do the duties of their position or they need to let someone else take over. And don't be stingy with HFs. Reward people for accomplishments, be observant and give praise where praise is due. 

And lastly, deal intentionally with the drama in your house. There is always someone who complains about everything, who cries about other people getting HFs and makes accusations about nepotism and bribery and what not. Every house I've been in has had them. They'll either end up working very hard for the house in order to get recognition like everyone else or they'll do nothing and call it unfair that they aren't getting promotions or favors. If the former, use their skills and reward them, if the latter, ignore them and hope they leave. You don't need to defend yourself to them or "prove" that they are wrong, just focus on your own duty and let them cry themselves to sleep. 

But I honestly can't say how important it is for the leaders to set the tone. Being consistent and of one mind with all the leaders in your house is extremely important. Get your own leader's clan and post post post everything, whatever you're working on, post it and ask for advice/suggestions, get everyone involved, keep everyone informed, and hold everyone accountable. Communication is extremely important, especially if you're still trying to figure out the whole purpose of your house.

You need to keep everything in line with the "theme" of your house. If you are the combatant house of your city, then everything needs to be centered around that, so don't try to buy shops in other cities to raise gold for your house, don't try to get into marketing or ritualism or scholarly endeavors as a house, let those things fall on the shoulders of the other houses in your city and rely on them for those things, don't attempt to be self-sufficient and master of all things. If your house is the scholarly/ritual house of the city, don't develop a combat training school for your members, request the combat house to do that for you. Pick an identity and role and stick to it religiously in everything your house does. Sure, your house won't be all things to all people but you don't want that. 
  • The Houses do indeed feel somewhat more like a High Clan than the Houses I recalled from earlier. Houses used to rely on some thick archetypes (such as class), and with that gone there's going to be a lot of work to do to create new archetypes and flavour for the new Houses.

The problem will be solved if the people in these Houses work hard to make them worthwhile, and to do that they will need the time to do so. Remember that the old Houses had several RL years to build up that lore, and it will possibly take some years for these Houses to build up a good base for themselves as well.

It will also be on the cities to not treat Houses like High Clans. That is just as important to the cities as it is to the Houses.
  • It's hard to reconcile the loss of the Maldaathi (by far my most loved house) and the Occultists (mine and Morthif's least favorite). The Naga was easier to let go because I remember the days of Karloptimux and Hamon. Cain was at his most infamous around that time too. Then a little later on when I was in the Naga with Ulrike at the helm we had such legendary raids on Shallam. I didn't really follow the Naga since then other then when the lovely Baylenne was HL.
  • P.S. I don't feel any identity to any of the Targ houses. It's mostly just an extra credit sale to me.
  • Morthif said:
    It's hard to reconcile the loss of the Maldaathi (by far my most loved house) and the Occultists (mine and Morthif's least favorite). The Naga was easier to let go because I remember the days of Karloptimux and Hamon. Cain was at his most infamous around that time too. Then a little later on when I was in the Naga with Ulrike at the helm we had such legendary raids on Shallam. I didn't really follow the Naga since then other then when the lovely Baylenne was HL.
    I still have incredibly fond memories of the dawnstriders as a guild, I really enjoyed being a spy/assassin for the greater good, a very interesting roleplay direction. It was also interesting having the naga as a direct opposite qnd you would try to steal/assassinate them too, much like a back and forth. We got handed a fair bit, but still lots of fun. 
  • Aodfionn said:
    I'm also in a minority, in that I think the Targ houses are mostly fine given what's transpired, and I wouldn't have given that assessment two months ago. All you need is a dedicated, half-way competent HL and a core group of people willing to roll with it, and you can see improvement immediately. Luminai in the last few weeks have done more than the Luminai did in my first RL year of playing in Targ. Ditto with the Dawnblade. Targ's houses suffered for a long time, but it seems that having all of the houses with leaders who are willing to work is making all the difference.

tl;dr - Much of the talk about how new houses are terrible is just whining and whinging coming from people who either lack drive or creativity. If you want your house to suck less, be the person who makes it suck less. Waiting for the next Wulfen/Amunet/Balynne to come save you and make your org interesting makes you a part of the problem.

Making awesome Houses takes time and seriously active and interested people. I have faith, and the Luminai are really full of awesome, interested, and active people.

I'm looking at @Magenta @Kellonius @Siduri @Halos @Lavakhi @Ivis @Anke and a strong handful of others that I can't put an @ in front of their names because they stay far away from the forums, and probably more I am just forgetting because I am so tired. 

But that's a big list! And that's a lot of potential. :awesome: 
  • I'm a bit more awake now, so I'm going to try and write something a little more cohesive.

Personally, I have two major qualms with how the renaissance ended up going down:

The first is that it feels like an almost incalculable amount of history was largely just taken out of the game. One of the best parts about Achaea has always been the mutability of the world and the massive player shaped history. In losing the old houses, most of this was simply deleted, dissolving a vast amount of effort and built-up richness that the game world had to offer. While I do think that the new houses have all sorts of potential, the loss of everything that came before seems like a tragic blow to a player-shaped world, one only compounded by most of the renaissance events themselves being incredibly underwhelming given how much was being changed. I can more then understand the people who just dropped from the game after losing their orgs, and even if the renaissance was necessary, I wonder if these massive losses really were.

Second, and probably more importantly, I think the new houses often serve a fundamentally different purpose then the old. Many people have already commented on this in one form or another, but it seems that while the new houses were very much what your character "was," generally centered around a central achetype and ideals your character represented, the new houses are very much what you "do" and are centered around playstyles or broad themes. In a lot of ways this was probably what made the renaissance so necessary. People being around people interested in doing the same stuff is an important part of keeping players engaged, which the new houses ideally capture. The Shield is a really good example of this, where a single house for combat-interested people has done way more for creating a combat culture in Cyrene then four separate combat paths in different houses ever did.

On the other hand, this focus on including all archetypes that fit within a certain playstyle requires trying to fit a huge number of different characters within each house, and that's in some ways antithetical to the old focus. Houses used to be a primary way in which a character was defined, and the new houses will probably never be able to be as defining as the old ones were, as they're simply not trying to. Take the Shield again. While from what I've seen they've got some amazing people pushing for some very interesting ways to frame their house's position in the world, the house is so combat-centric in activities that it seems to also force it to be pretty general. Defining why one fights is important, of course, but it's hardly the same as what the Wardens or the Mojushai tried to do with it, which was the creation of a more specific culture that included combat. Combat itself will always be the most central aspect of the Shield, and I wouldn't be surprised if that always keeps it general. This frustrates me, somewhat, since it feels as if we traded in the old houses for something that didn't even try and replace them.

In my ideal renaissance, perhaps, more work would have been done to preserve the old houses in some form, be they as High clans or something new. I often feel like many of the old archetype-centered houses, free from needing to worry about being the first stop for newbies and everyone of a certain class, could have been free to act as small organizations dedicated to really defining the archetypes important to them. In some ways this was already done with the Wardens, Maldaathi, and Naga at the very least have already done this, but I'd have loved to see that sort of thing more supported by the admin and done with more houses. The new and old houses really did serve different roles, I think, and we already have evidence that they were hardly exclusive to each other.