The new houses and their role in the modern day Achaea

Comments

• edited December 2015
    The Somatikos is quite nice in that what requirements there are are focussed on actually helping build skills and equipment, and promoting building relationships within the city. If you are already a well established player they're a walk in the park for the first half, and the second half is still useful.

Sure, it means we have lots of hr5s... but is that really such a bad thing?

The last straw on my Mhaldorian char was getting bumped back down to start the new houses from scratch. Lack of time at the time, and I just hated those little tasks. I had the same thing with being offered to be 'mentored' by one of my own proteges, because they were in the founding few. It was daft. I figured if I'm going to be treated like a newbie again... I may as well just make one.

• edited December 2015
    For some of us this wasn't the first time that we had to restart right back as newbies. I was full guild, then houses, I was full house, then new houses. Cycles. 

Also, in most cities, the number of houses was too many. Yes even some of the ones that got two houses, those two were too many. Some would have been fine with just one house, and having differing paths in that house past hr5. 

• Tael said:
    Honestly, regardless of my feelings on multiclass, I would probably still be playing right now were it not for that. I still occasionally think of coming back, but then I remember that I'd still be made to go through that crap and my mind changes pretty quickly.
    As a HR5 or 6 in the Naga and now having to do house requirements again is the main reason I don't bother much anymore. I log in, hunt 5% and log out. Maybe its the downside of change on a character that is 10 rl years old. But if I wanted to repeat inane shit over and over I'd go play candy crush. Also, sitting at crossroads hearing "I've got 6 minutes and I can change to apostate" really bugs me.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    In soviet Shieldia, you take one combat test (that we don't really let you fail) to teach you base mechanics and skills to get HR3, and then you learn about combat strategies and fight some people to get HR5. It's designed in a way that offers valuable instruction for new folks, but if a veteran player knew the material, they'd hit HR3 the same day they joined, and could probably hit HR5 in a few days if they camped out at the arena.

We probably have it easier because being combat-centric gives us an inherently wide field of stuff to teach and do, and more tangible measures of success. Other houses focused on non-combat application kinda have to invent stuff to teach/learn/do, and that kinda lends itself to contrived house tasks.

I invite all you old, disaffected folks to Cyrene, Achaea's retirement home, and to take part in a post-Ren House that just wants to make sure you are decent at one thing, and spends the rest of its time forging personal friendships and a sense of belonging. You can help us invent our history and culture while we're at it.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WA
    I am not sure how much overlap there is between the Harbingers and the Luminai at this point. Would encourage people to alt in them now that they have had an rl year or two to go through growing pains. 
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?"
  • edited December 2015
    Aerek said:
    In soviet Shieldia, you take one combat test (that we don't really let you fail) to teach you base mechanics and skills to get HR3, and then you learn about combat strategies and fight some people to get HR5. It's designed in a way that offers valuable instruction for new folks, but if a veteran player knew the material, they'd hit HR3 the same day they joined, and could probably hit HR5 in a few days if they camped out at the arena.

We probably have it easier because being combat-centric gives us an inherently wide field of stuff to teach and do, and more tangible measures of success. Other houses focused on non-combat application kinda have to invent stuff to teach/learn/do, and that kinda lends itself to contrived house tasks.

I invite all you old, disaffected folks to Cyrene, Achaea's retirement home, and to take part in a post-Ren House that just wants to make sure you are decent at one thing, and spends the rest of its time forging personal friendships and a sense of belonging. You can help us invent our history and culture while we're at it.
    I wouldn't get too cocky! I've heard shieldians complain that the combat tests seem pointless since they aren't actually learning anything and are just rote-sparring.

Also as a combatant that got into the Eleusian combat house and almost had to do basic combat tests to get to HR3, this isn't really as not-annoying as you think. I don't really want to have to prove that I can fight, when it's clear by my past history that I can. I especially don't want to prove it by doing tests and spars of all things.

The point here isn't that the shield sucks or anything, but that all the houses with checklist requirements could really make some improvements, or even ask themselves if they're really useful requirements. I didn't learn to fight by doing rote sparring for requirements, and most people didn't either, I think. Experienced fighters don't want to do these anymore than experienced characters want to redo any other kind of test.

Kiet said:
    I wouldn't get too cocky! I've heard shieldians complain that the combat tests seem pointless since they aren't actually learning anything and are just rote-sparring.

Also as a combatant that got into the Eleusian combat house and almost had to do basic combat tests to get to HR3, this isn't really as not-annoying as you think. I don't really want to have to prove that I can fight, when it's clear by my past history that I can. I especially don't want to prove it by doing tests and spars of all things.

The point here isn't that the shield sucks or anything, but that all the houses with checklist requirements could really make some improvements, or even ask themselves if they're really useful requirements. I didn't learn to fight by doing rote sparring for requirements, and most people didn't either, I think. Experienced fighters don't want to do these anymore than experienced characters want to redo any other kind of test.
    I wouldn't understand their complaints. Other than the HR3 "test", and a completely optional test for a certain aide position, we don't really test you. The few tasks we have just make you go out and spar some people, and by doing that, you advance. Whether you get anything out of it is kinda up to you. Obviously we try to encourage one-on-one mentoring sessions, and we do have one task that makes you "chart out" a kill setup, but we can't make anyone a great fighter, we can only put you in a position to learn, and then answer questions you have as you make the effort.

That's the beauty of it, I think. There isn't a checklist aside from two tasks that just show us that you know what you say you know, and both of them take about 15 minutes if you really do know it. Past that, you get out of the Shield what you put in.  We don't babysit you, we don't fill your time with arbitrary chores, and assuming you do enjoy fighting to a degree, you advance just by doing what you enjoy.

If you expect to join a house and be given HR5 just because you're an established player with a history, I don't know if that's a reasonable expectation, but cutting out the nonsense bullshit tasks has really been a goal of mine/ours while building up the place.

Obviously you should come try it and give us feedback!
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Aerek said:

Kiet said:

I wouldn't understand their complaints. Other than the HR3 "test", and a completely optional test for a certain aide position, we don't really test you. The few tasks we have just make you go out and spar some people, and by doing that, you advance. Whether you get anything out of it is kinda up to you. Obviously we try to encourage one-on-one mentoring sessions, and we do have one task that makes you "chart out" a kill setup, but we can't make anyone a great fighter, we can only put you in a position to learn, and then answer questions you have as you make the effort.

That's the beauty of it, I think. There isn't a checklist aside from two tasks that just show us that you know what you say you know, and both of them take about 15 minutes if you really do know it. Past that, you get out of the Shield what you put in.  We don't babysit you, we don't fill your time with arbitrary chores, and assuming you do enjoy fighting to a degree, you advance just by doing what you enjoy.

If you expect to join a house and be given HR5 just because you're an established player with a history, I don't know if that's a reasonable expectation, but cutting out the nonsense bullshit tasks has really been a goal of mine/ours while building up the place.

Obviously you should come try it and give us feedback!
    Well, that's the problem they seemed to have. There was no test or real need to learn anything from the spars, they could just spar any random X people and then say 'done' without having learned anything. What's the point of the requirement then? Obviously you could argue they should try to learn from it, but why do they need required spars to go out and learn of their own drive? Why are people who just do random spars rewarded the same way than someone who is actually improving and learning from the spars?

Again, to reiterate, this is like overheard information so I'm making a lot of assumptions, but your post seems to confirm the assumptions I made.

Why shouldn't an established player be given HR5 in a combat house? A certain top-tier combatant was telling us a story about how they were a founding member of the Targ combat house and had to start at like HR1. Why? What is the point of a combat house if the best combatants aren't actually boosted even as the founding wave? At the very least, a combat house should offer 'defeat the HL/designated person in combat and be auto promoted' in my opinion. And, honestly, if you're a combat house and someone that's pretty much famous for being a high level combatant joins and you make no allowances, that's just annoying bureaucracy.

Also sparring people is not 15 minutes, really. Takes ages to find people to spar when you're not at the solid mid tier (and even then takes a while). Too newbie and you can't find anyone that won't destroy you immediately and therefor has no interest, too experienced and the opposite.

• Kiet said:

Also sparring people is not 15 minutes, really. Takes ages to find people to spar when you're not at the solid mid tier (and even then takes a while). Too newbie and you can't find anyone that won't destroy you immediately and therefor has no interest, too experienced and the opposite.

It's less arduous when you've got a whole barracks full of like-minded and similarly skilled players waiting for you because they want/need the same spars you do. Especially if you're in a 'rare' division. Ho boy!
  • Yeah, I'm sure. Still means if you're a true complete newbie you're probably in for a slightly tougher time and if you're the type of person that's been dueling for RL years it's an exercise in tedium.
  • edited December 2015
    That's especially true in a combat house because, as Aerek said, combat houses are actually teaching something tangible. But the other side of that is that people that are good at it aren't going to sit and pretend they aren't, and they should actually be treated as if they are good at it. If your house is about teaching something and someone has clearly near mastered that... well, obviously they're not meant to be in the freshman class.

But it does apply to other things too. If your house is about ritualism, and Flair joins your house, are you seriously going to put him at hr1, too?
    There are some assumptions in there, yes, and without pasting HHELPs and laying out the details in a post longer than I'd want to write, I can't really dissuade you. What I can say is that I -have- made exceptions, but even if you -are- a top notch combatant, joining a House and expecting the keys immediately, before you've done anything to integrate or learn about the institution, seems a little unreasonable to me. Some of our full members and aides could do real damage to the House if they wanted to, and so yeah, you kinda do have to prove that you're committed to us, even if that's just by doing some little things you might find beneath you. I think there's a fair level of give-and-take to be had when joining an in-character institution with real power and real consequences for its members/city.

Either way, in the Houses I've observed, I'd say the Shield has about the fastest track to full member of any House in the game right now. Whether that's fast enough for you, I couldn't say unless you tried.
  • I mean, what real power does an HR5 have? It's not like the Shield is a secretive organization. Like Tael said, there's always probation.

And what does making a known combatant spar however many randoms do to prove loyalty in the first place?

• edited December 2015
    Heh, when you're talking about people that have in the past gone the extra mile to do those things, but may currently be short on time, or just not feel motivated after having their beloved house go poof and then told they're starting again as a novice, I think that's a stance that's only going to lose you people who have already proven themselves many times over, and may have been a huge benefit to the house. I get making people from outside the city start at rank 3 or something, but making Sartai start at rank 3. (Actually 1 at first,  for quite a while before that was changed) was just a daft move.

I wonder how many they lost because of it. Anyway, like I and others have said, it was a final straw. Losing the house you love, and then that.

• edited December 2015
    Jacen said:
    I would say that anyone coming into a House that hasn't recently been a member of that House needs to spend at least a little time at <HR5, no matter their credentials. There has to be a period of learning House customs, ideals, a tiny bit of history, etc. 

It can also be very uninspiring for newbs to see foreigners get accepted and quickly bumped to HR5, so that should be considered as well.
    Most houses do not have this hypothetical rich tapestry of customs, ideals, and history that would take over an hour irl to learn, though. Especially after the renn.

Also, in the old guilds/houses there was often a special title for experienced transfers that had simpler, shorter requirements before promotion. What happened to that?

But yes, like Saeva said, merit based promotions also help. I skipped having to do basic combat reqs in Scions after raiding a couple of times, and I'd probably never have bothered otherwise.
    Kiet said:
    I mean, what real power does an HR5 have? It's not like the Shield is a secretive organization. Like Tael said, there's always probation.

And what does making a known combatant spar however many randoms do to prove loyalty in the first place?

HR5s can become aides that could clean out our stockroom, destroy our library, run amok with certain secrets and house items that we do keep. We could of course probate them (Though that actually takes away HT, so they can't really participate in the House) or just keep them out of these positions, but if we don't trust them or aren't letting them do what HR5s are meant to do, what's the point of immediately promoting them to HR5 in the first place?

Submission to some low-level tasks shows that you can follow before you lead, for one. And that you don't believe yourself so invaluable that the rules need not apply to you. Houses don't really benefit, long-term, from celebrity members that expect to be catered to. That pretty easily weakens the fabric of fraternity that most Houses want to foster, and as a leader myself, I don't really want to deal with a member who responds to my requests or expectations with "No, and I'm better at fighting than you". I understand, of course, that's something of a mischaracterization of your position, just as your posts have leaned toward mischaracterizing mine as unsympathetic toward veteran players, but it still showcases why there's a necessary balance to be found between the two extremes.

Everyone in this thread wants houses to not only be efficient and convenient in their progression, but also deep and engaging in their RP, and those two can conflict on certain fundamental levels. The Maldaathi were Knighted at HR5, for example, because that makes sense for "full members" of a Knight house to be Knights. But you couldn't be a deep, engaging Knight House if new "Knights" were accoladed immediately upon entry because they were good fighters, or even were in Mhaldor for a long time. Even in a combat house, there should still some RP involved here, and that's not very engaging for anyone if the extent of your RP as a full member is "I've been here a day and I beat an HL in a duel". (And realistically speaking, HLs are probably not the House's best fighters. The best fighters don't want that paperwork!)

In the end, I completely understand the annoyance of being treated like a novice when you're not one, and while this thread isn't all about us, we in the Shield make every effort not to do that, having fast-tracked more than a few individuals on basis of merit. But being quick to label any organization as "overly bureaucratic" for not immediately capitulating to an established player's age, reputation, or ego sets up something of a false dichotomy.
  • @Salindera On the history bit I somewhat agree but then again I was shallamese so my opinion always gets deleted.

As for the whole topic I feel part of what is lacking is any kind of involvement that legitimizes these structures. I think most of the houses have had a god awake for all of about a year to set things up then poof. No magic no nothing to help legitimize the direction they are taking or that this is a new era.... Heck in old shallam we would randomly have 3 deities show up just because we won the landmarks and they would CTF or do story time with us heck they would randomly come sit on fish street with us and bring fountains of booze or other stuff which often lead to great stories. The legitimization is what helps create and spur on culture when it gets left out the great stories that help develop a culture in a house end up left out. I spent a lot of time trying to develop culture in my old house pre-rennaissance and it would work but nothing replaces the wild awesome stories of shrine wars against impossible odds and the time one of your city patrons holobombed you to death in the arena because your house acheived an objective. Less meta more micro transactions make a huge deal.

All that aside come join us in Achaea's old folks home in Cyrene. It's not home but it's as close as your going to get. They actually don't kill you with reqs and if your an old Templar look me up and we will walk through it together.
    (Blades of Valour): He just has that Synbios Swagger enough said.
    (Blades of Valour): Draekar says: "Synbios if sunbeams sparkle off that I'll kill you where you stand."

(Party) Halos says, "Disbar?"
    (Party) Draekar says, "You know here we have disbar."
    (Party) Draekar says, "And over there we have datbar."
  • Retiring is for quitters! Even a billion checklist tasks wouldn't drive me to retire aimlessly, and people who use that as an excuse are probably just not having that much fun in whatever city they're in, tbh. As much as I hate checklists, ultimately the onus on having fun is always on the player, not their orgs (which they can just switch if they hate them that much).
  • As an experienced players you would already have done the spars Kiet, so you don't actually have to spar again. The other combat requirements is basically "do CURING ON", look at what the raid/party msgs are like. Guess you might have to party to to pwnd someone for a party spar, but that's more to be helpful for the true noob than you as an experienced player.
  • edited December 2015
    Rangor said:
    As an experienced players you would already have done the spars Kiet, so you don't actually have to spar again. The other combat requirements is basically "do CURING ON", look at what the raid/party msgs are like. Guess you might have to party to to pwnd someone for a party spar, but that's more to be helpful for the true noob than you as an experienced player.
    Well it's moot for me because I merit-skipped them (thanks!), but there was a lot more to it than that before the recent change! Also, no one told me the spars already counted by default, lol.

I generally didn't have an issue with the Scion combat thing because of the merit based part. The reqs aren't really why I left, either.
  • ApollodorusApollodorus Toronto
    edited December 2015
    Making established characters do novice checklists in the new houses is ridiculous. It's farcical. Why are we doing this? Whose idea was this? I am slogging through mine because I want to get involved with the new house and this is the only way, but I completely understand why it would make someone want to stop logging in. These houses are all brand new. Everyone from the old houses is going to be joining them. The goal should be building communities of engaged, talented, experienced people to develop them into something vibrant and interesting, not walling off these empty, ill-defined orgs so no one wants to join them. Why exactly are we doing this to each other?
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited December 2015
    @Apollodorus

I think the point everyone is trying to make is that, at least of the Houses being spoken of (the Shield, the Insidium and the Scions), they are making every effort to not force established players to do novice checklists. Even when the Insidium was brand-new, I got to skip the more novice-y tasks because even as someone who had only been in Mhaldor five years, I was certainly established. Instead, I focused more on tasks that were group-oriented and taught me city/evil culture (while we began trying to make new culture for the Insidium).

Nowadays, speaking for the Insidium, we have a reputation-based system anyone can take advantage of that was mentioned above, as well as a somewhat different list of things to do for those who are established players and prefer not to create their own content, one version for established Mhaldorians, and one version for established people who came from outside of Mhaldor recently. We also work very hard to try and engage novices, though as expected, this can be difficult for a place with a generally smaller population, especially during the holidays with a lot going on.

If there are Houses currently doing what you describe, then perhaps posting the name plus a list of tasks would be helpful!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • The Outriders allow someone to get credit for some things that they've already done, but it's ironically AFTER the newbie checklists that you can do that, and there are some pretty heavy limitations. We're dealing with some general bureaucracy bloat, though, so that's probably just a symptom.

A lot of the time it definitely takes a bit to develop, sadly. I know that when I was doing stuff in targ, the Dawnblade had no way to skip requirements, it looked like (I don't know, they might now), but needless to say there hardly seems to be a consensus, sadly.
  • The Dawnblade turned out pretty much exactly as I thought it'd turn out when the Houses were put in. I didn't -want- Houses to be put in, in Targossas.

I hate being right about these things.
  • To this day, I haven't disagreed with Tael on anything and think he has hit things on the head as usual. Incidentally, I've only seen multiclass talked about twice in-game, and it has been in very immersion-breaking terms, mostly to do with things like damage output and which class is the 'best' rather than what makes sense. Trying to work out the optimal combination before spending your money is perfectly fair, but makes me think it was a bad idea. But hey, I guess it's done and people have paid for stuff, so that ship has sailed.
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Anedhel said:
    The Dawnblade turned out pretty much exactly as I thought it'd turn out when the Houses were put in. I didn't -want- Houses to be put in, in Targossas.

I hate being right about these things.
    I've always thought, when it comes to Targ having too many houses, that it's the Dawnblade that should go, for one main reason. It's a combat house in a militant city. Everyone should be involved with combat.