Next Big Thing: Engagement!

Comments

• Why would I pay 50k for a crit bonus that might help me bash 3% faster, only to be capped out at 160k. The cost is like...astronomical to the benefit you get. I thought they were joking on release, and that the actual cost was going to be 5k for the bonuses. Even then I wouldn't use it all the time.

• Cooper said:
    Why would I pay 50k for a crit bonus that might help me bash 3% faster, only to be capped out at 160k. The cost is like...astronomical to the benefit you get. I thought they were joking on release, and that the actual cost was going to be 5k for the bonuses. Even then I wouldn't use it all the time.
    Its a 100k :pensive:

I think the costs are pretty reasonable for how long they last, and paying for them up front is probably never the right thing to do unless you really want to speed yourself up without caring about gold gain. That's why the gold that gets skimmed from you as you approach gold cap goes into the hoard.

I do wish the boons were more impactful, they only really benefit a very small percent of players that spend lots of time in dragonform and also bash a lot. I'd also love to see more ways to expand Dragon Lairs, make them feel more clubhouse-y rather than just 4 empty rooms. But I really did love the release, and the quest and lore portions building up to it.
  • I wouldn't pay for the lair bonuses directly, but I notice we have them up decently often. I assume most of the gold comes from bashing past gold cap. In that situation, it's really a free bonus since you wouldn't have been able to do anything else with the gold. So, I like it.

I do understand the lack of interest of top bashers who don't use dform anyway, though. It's basically neither a loss nor a benefit then. I happen to bash in dragon regularly (when I do bash) because I like the tankiness.

• edited April 2019
    Bashing is one of the most boring and tedious parts of the game.  Rewards centered around having people bash more is not a great idea in my opinion.  Once I got level 100 I haven't bashed a single additional second, so these rewards simply don't mean anything to me.  I'll probably still do some just to see what they're like but it'll be a temporary and passing thing like "oh neato" and that'll be it.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • I'm not sure if anything ever happened to the idea to add more resolutions to the game, but adding a resolution to complete a number of these daily tasks would be an excellent way to give adventurers who aren't as invested in bashing or PK a chance to earn mementoes as well as further encourage participating in this system.
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    edited April 2019
    Do we really want another new currency? Mementos are underused - (anecdotally) hardly anyone bothers to complete resolutions to get mementos because there's nothing Tinker Druck sells that people want consistently. I'm sat on nearly 400 mementos (because I'm a sad-act try-hard who keeps taking the bashing resolutions).

Maybe if mementos could be used to purchase talisman pieces at some high exchange rate (5 = 1 credit?), the resolutions would get more love. Another alternative could be Tinker Druck adding talisman caches to his stock for a certain number of mementos. Mementos could then also be used for adventuring rewards too, although maybe they would need to be revalued so more come from resolutions, which take multiple days to complete, and 1 / 2 / 3 bound mementos are the reward for a daily adventure.

Addendum: Could even make all existing mementos bound, or all mementos earned from a certain announced point onwards from resolutions, etc, to prevent the market being flooded...

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Klendathu said:
    Do we really want another new currency? Mementos are underused - (anecdotally) hardly anyone bothers to complete resolutions to get mementos because there's nothing Tinker Druck sells that people want consistently. I'm sat on nearly 400 mementos (because I'm a sad-act try-hard who keeps taking the bashing resolutions).

Maybe if mementos could be used to purchase talisman pieces at some high exchange rate (5 = 1 credit?), the resolutions would get more love. Another alternative could be Tinker Druck adding talisman caches to his stock for a certain number of mementos. Mementos could then also be used for adventuring rewards too, although maybe they would need to be revalued so more come from resolutions, which take multiple days to complete, and 1 / 2 / 3 bound mementos are the reward for a daily adventure.

Addendum: Could even make all existing mementos bound, or all mementos earned from a certain announced point onwards from resolutions, etc, to prevent the market being flooded...
    On paper I like it. It's something people can work towards that doesn't cost anything but time, and the people who don't care about it don't have to.

• Resolutions and mementos should probably stay as an insulated system as they are right now.  The tome of muses combined with certain resolutions has sort of broken the ability to generate mementos, and exposing that to the credit market and economy at large would probably be very dangerous.  Doable, but require a lot of rebalancing and some significant memento sinks put in place.

I don't see why adding another currency for adventuring rewards would be a problem at all.  Mementos are their own thing, let them stay as their own thing.  Add a currency that is from adventuring and only from adventuring, so they can fine-tune (and adjust seasonally/monthly) the rewards specifically for adventuring.
  • I like Accipiter's idea of an object you can charge with the bonus from completing an adventure, if the reward absolutely must be bashing-related.

Agree more with the feeling that it shouldn't be bashing-related. 
  • Ictinus said:

Adventures are split into difficulty tiers (easy, medium, hard, loosely), and rewards will scale appropriately to the difficulty as you might expect.

Initial completion of an adventure will offer a choice between a crit buff, an xp buff, OR an expansion to your gold cap for the day - more difficult tiers will reward better crit and xp buffs, and bigger expansions to the gold cap (likely in the region of 10k extra, 30k extra, and 50k extra as the difficulty tiers increase).
    My first thought is- this the exact stuff people who spin the wheel and get are like, meh. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't seem like that'll pull anyone unless they're going to dragon. Perhaps for the 'easy' tiers, have these rewards to help people grow, which imo would be appropriate. 

However, for the medium and hard tiers, I don't see myself completing some sort of difficult task that requires me to think, and then being like, y'know what I want to do, I wanna bash for 1-2 hours to hit my extended gold cap! No. Just no. 

Some stuff I'd like to see in reward sets:
    -Exclusive mini-pets tied to adventuring. 
    -Maybe class/health artefacts, or something that can function as one for a period of time. Could simply be Con+1 for such and such hours upon activation. 
    -Currency to credits somehow, via tradein or other. 
    -Unique deathsight messages. 
    -Maybe a weapon like Atlatls, something that's useful and available to everyone in combat. 

I still think this'll be something that'll really be cool, but I don't think using the reject prizes from monthly promotions to get people interested is a great idea if these adventures are going to be difficult at all. 

The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Iloisee said:
    I didn't have time to write this out earlier but here's my suggested idea...

The adventures system is supposed to increase engagement with game content, right? So rather than bashing bonuses, the rewards should be beneficial to interacting with a variety of the game's features.  

Next, it should not create or rely on a new tradeable currency or generate tradeable items. Because buying your engagement rewards is not engagement (of the intended kind!)

Accipiter's 'adventurer stone' is a pretty good idea that I'd like to build on.

The rewards are random and are attuned to the stone, and when you're ready you can ACTIVATE STONE FOR <reward>. Or DISCARD <reward> FROM STONE for things you don't want at all (e.g. gold cap increase when you're level 80). The stone could act like a legendary card where it has a maximum number of charges (rewards) it holds and a cooldown for using it.

The rewards could include the crit bonus, gold cap increase, etc., but also include rewards that are more relevant to other player types. Instants: lessons, the rare bound credit, gold, comms. Artefact/legenddeck/talisman powers lasting an appropriate amount of time, such as the lucrescent nut power, flying/wings, whitesight, faster gathering, mana/health regen, sips, resists, on and on. (This possibility already exists with the loaning of artefacts, so it is known not to unbalance the game!)

The way I imagine it in action, when you probe the stone it would look like:

<Description of stone>

It weighs 1000 lb.

It bears the mark of Iloisee.

It will reset to you.

It contains 4/5 attunements.

It is attuned with:

a small windfall of gold sovereigns

a 3% critical hit bonus

the power of flying

the power of whitesight

An adventurer's stone grants the power of increased mana regeneration for another 10 minutes.

An adventurer's stone can be activated again in 15 minutes.

The cooldown would prevent accumulating a bunch of combat buffs and activating them all at once, not that that wouldn't be awesome.

The difficulty of the quest would determine the bank of rewards.

The reason I suggest a large bank of temporary artefact-type powers is it allows players to experience a whole bunch of neat stuff they can't afford to have permanently (yet). And maybe they will decide it was great and they'll go and buy some credits to get it permanently. ;)

The variety also has a better chance of hitting on what the player likes to do or hasn't done enough of.

Uhhh so ok bye.

I really love this idea. A lot.

I would love to see it expanded for cool and unique items as well that would decay ( with these sorts of abilities )
  • Iloisee said:
    I didn't have time to write this out earlier but here's my suggested idea...

The adventures system is supposed to increase engagement with game content, right? So rather than bashing bonuses, the rewards should be beneficial to interacting with a variety of the game's features.  

Next, it should not create or rely on a new tradeable currency or generate tradeable items. Because buying your engagement rewards is not engagement (of the intended kind!)

Accipiter's 'adventurer stone' is a pretty good idea that I'd like to build on.

The rewards are random and are attuned to the stone, and when you're ready you can ACTIVATE STONE FOR <reward>. Or DISCARD <reward> FROM STONE for things you don't want at all (e.g. gold cap increase when you're level 80). The stone could act like a legendary card where it has a maximum number of charges (rewards) it holds and a cooldown for using it.

The rewards could include the crit bonus, gold cap increase, etc., but also include rewards that are more relevant to other player types. Instants: lessons, the rare bound credit, gold, comms. Artefact/legenddeck/talisman powers lasting an appropriate amount of time, such as the lucrescent nut power, flying/wings, whitesight, faster gathering, mana/health regen, sips, resists, on and on. (This possibility already exists with the loaning of artefacts, so it is known not to unbalance the game!)

The way I imagine it in action, when you probe the stone it would look like:

<Description of stone>

It weighs 1000 lb.

It bears the mark of Iloisee.

It will reset to you.

It contains 4/5 attunements.

It is attuned with:

a small windfall of gold sovereigns

a 3% critical hit bonus

the power of flying

the power of whitesight

An adventurer's stone grants the power of increased mana regeneration for another 10 minutes.

An adventurer's stone can be activated again in 15 minutes.

The cooldown would prevent accumulating a bunch of combat buffs and activating them all at once, not that that wouldn't be awesome.

The difficulty of the quest would determine the bank of rewards.

The reason I suggest a large bank of temporary artefact-type powers is it allows players to experience a whole bunch of neat stuff they can't afford to have permanently (yet). And maybe they will decide it was great and they'll go and buy some credits to get it permanently. ;)

The variety also has a better chance of hitting on what the player likes to do or hasn't done enough of.

Uhhh so ok bye.

I'm not opposed to your overall suggestion but I don't think it should aim to replace things that already exist. A lot of artefact powers are already temporarily available IG through other mechanics:

Flying (quest)
    Duanathar (mementos)
    +2 con/str/int/dex (rare minerals)
    Health/mana regen (rare minerals)
  • Don't worry guys, Engagement rewards are already here. Check FRAGMENTS
  • Re: culled categories

While I do hunt, sail, explore, and fight a little, and enjoy them to various degrees, I also agree with Lenn - merchanting and RP are a very big part of what I enjoy about Achaea, and probably my favorites.

I definitely agree with culling the Life category - who needs a reward for using the bank?? But it would be really awesome if we could have some sort of Just Chilling category that includes tradeskills (who doesn't have at least one tradeskill? you get one slot for free) and things like attending a ritual, sermon, party, or concert (this could perhaps be checked off by the city).

That being said, the system sounds pretty cool already, and I appreciate the effort that's gone into it and the way you guys have taken in everyone's feedback. :)
  • edited April 2019
    Cailin said:
    Re: culled categories

While I do hunt, sail, explore, and fight a little, and enjoy them to various degrees, I also agree with Lenn - merchanting and RP are a very big part of what I enjoy about Achaea, and probably my favorites.

I definitely agree with culling the Life category - who needs a reward for using the bank?? But it would be really awesome if we could have some sort of Just Chilling category that includes tradeskills (who doesn't have at least one tradeskill? you get one slot for free) and things like attending a ritual, sermon, party, or concert (this could perhaps be checked off by the city).

That being said, the system sounds pretty cool already, and I appreciate the effort that's gone into it and the way you guys have taken in everyone's feedback. :)
    I can kill perfectly fine without inkmillling so I haven’t invested in it. Plenty of people don’t have tradeskills! It’s not free, because you have to pay lessons for it!!!

That small mini rant aside, I think that should make it more paramount for tradeskills to be involved in this process. As, I believe some may sacrifice class skills for merchanting skills- and some definitely sacrifice PvP skills. Wonderful work so far and excited for the release!
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Now this sounds awesome. Well done on putting together a great idea and all the players for giving solid feedback to make it even better. I'm so excited for this to release!
  • Looks amazing!!

• This is fantastic.... but now I’m afraid I’ll be too busy adventuring to fight off the Tsol’teth :)
  • Adventure 1: kill a tsol'teth

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Are these giftboxes the same type from last month's promotion?

• Kresslack said:
    Are these giftboxes the same type from last month's promotion?
    Not quite. They have a choice of artefacts, which all seem to look like level 1 class arties, for people to choose from. From HELP ADVENTURES.

* The giftbox contains a choice of the following artefacts:

Mayan bracelets
    a blackened rapier
    a wreath of lycopod vines
    a talisman of greater cultivation
    a band of fire
    Adchachel's lament
    Rakia's flame
    a prankster's blackjack
    a sorcerer's notebook
    copper knuckles
    a karmic knot
    an iron shoe
    an Odyssean mace
    a bronze hand mirror
    a spiked steel spear
    a defender's trident
    a sylvan axe
    an assassin's dirk
    an obsidian skull pendant
    a wreath of golden leaves
    an orcsplitter battleaxe
    a scimitar of hawks
    a mutilator flail
    a barbarian's morningstar
    a Dawnrender bastard sword
    a stonesmith's maul
    a mithril broadsword
    a meteoric longsword
    an insignia of mastery
    a cincture of the devoted

Artefacts from the adventurer's giftbox CAN NOT be traded in.
  • The helpfile says 

"The giftbox contains a choice of the following artefacts"

Does that mean we would get to choose which one? Or is it random?
  • Mayan bracelets<br>a blackened rapier<br>a wreath of lycopod vines<br>a talisman of greater cultivation<br>a band of fire<br>Adchachel's lament<br>Rakia's flame<br>a prankster's blackjack<br>a sorcerer's notebook<br>copper knuckles<br>a karmic knot<br>an iron shoe<br>an Odyssean mace<br>a bronze hand mirror<br>a spiked steel spear<br>a defender's trident<br>a sylvan axe<br>an assassin's dirk<br>an obsidian skull pendant<br>a wreath of golden leaves<br>an orcsplitter battleaxe<br>a scimitar of hawks<br>a mutilator flail<br>a barbarian's morningstar<br>a Dawnrender bastard sword<br>a stonesmith's maul<br>a mithril broadsword<br>a meteoric longsword<br>an insignia of mastery<br>a cincture of the devoted

Those are the things you can choose from a giftbox. A little weird that dirks are there but not lashes/whips, but otherwise pretty decent. Some classes have more options than others (Serpents get dirk, but a Paladin gets a cincture, insignia, and weapon or two, Sentinels get their choice of skirmishing weapon, an axe, and knuckles for maul damage, etc.)
This discussion has been closed.