Targossas, the Dawnspear

Comments

• I think @Halos picked a great theme song for Targossas, well done!
  • Tvistor said:
    Pro post from Blujixawjefoiwjekm.
    Pro quote work too.

• I like the name. Haven't seen the area yet. Well done to everyone behind the scenes and Thankyou.

(above genuine, below joke)

Now the voltori can have their evil castle to spread terror from.
  • Muhahaha
  • edited February 2013
    Delphinus said:
    @Aliath, on exits: I actually see the slice-through as a weakness. That's going to be a lot of defendables for them to protect. I wouldn't be surprised if it were walled up on one side, letting a path through Solace Bay.

@Vansittart, on names: Although I've eased off a bit, this:

Two pages of mild interest, 5 pages of whinging about the name.  You guys, I bet Deucalora are so incentivised right now to carry on working - for free, purely for your own enjoyment remember.

I realise names are important but honest to goodness do you listen to yourselves sometimes?  Does no-one read this thread and think, wow this is negative and whingy and I just got something huge, plus a sandbox to play in and gosh it can't be easy to work up a whole new area all the time trying to keep a disparate group of players happy.  I know maybe I'll redress the balance with some excitement?

You guys: Silas was the most positive person in this thread.  Silas.

Y'all go away and think about that.

...is ridiculous.

I'll not assume who's responsible for what, because those assumptions are, at the end of the day, often vastly misinformed. Maybe it was proposed by a paid staff member like Sarapis or Tecton, as high-end production decisions can be. Maybe it was an offhand comment by a Celani who's since bit the dust. Maybe Deucora quit months ago and are being puppeteered by the Poergh Collective. I have no real way of knowing.

What I do know is that the reasons haven't been well-articulated, because this isn't something where you just pick apart the logic and forensic-science its last meal. Whether it appeals or appalls, it does so on a very basic level. There may be reasons, sure -- but they're irrelevant.

While I'd like to personally ease off a bit, expressing criticism does not a negativity make. Some of it is very negative, granted, but you're painting with a very wide brush.

@Blujigsawpuzzle said most of what I wanted to say (and likely said it better) but, of course, expressing criticism and expressing negativity are not the same thing.  And while you're right that the name might have come from anywhere, what is fairly certain is that the vast bulk of the work on the Dawnspear will have come from the relevant patron gods, supported by the other volunteers.  This wasn't a thread (like the one Sarapis started) discussing the name, it's a thread discussing Targossas in general.  I was intentionally "painting with a wide brush" because it was standing back, and reading all 7 pages of the thread at once, that really prompted the response, rather than any single poster.

All I was asking was that in those kind of threads people remember that there's a few people likely waiting with bated breath for player feedback for the work that they've poured in, and they're grown-ups, they don't expect everyone to swoon just because it exists, but they are human.  Mixing a bit of "wow" with a bit of "Lol name" is just... good manners, and leads to a better game (as I argued up-thread).  It's not that any one person here was entirely objectionable, it was the cumulative focus and, in my usual vituperative way, I was just asking people to reconsider that.

I think criticism of the Gods is vital - they can certainly be as short-sighted, stupid, poorly expressed and wrong as the rest of us.  However,  I think it's more important to be... sensitive in how you criticise when you are criticising something that will have taken time, blood, sweat and tears.

I particularly wasn't singling out @Cooper (and props for a reasoned, mature response), just the attitude in Cooper's follow-up post which seemed to suggest that being a paying customer exonerated him from any of the other obligations I was hinting it in my post.  I'm sure he didn't mean it that way, but it is an attitude you hear sometimes, and I do think it stinks.

• Vayne said:
    I thought Darknight was the Overseer...
    What's a Ashtan?
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • YueYue
    edited February 2013
    Tesha said:
    You should try going to Sangre from North of New Thera as a Targossian. There are like 20 totems in the way!
    =>evade southwest
    =>evade west
    ==>evade south

See @Tesha - no problem!! Now how about we go indiscriminately prop us some totems and call people whiners?! Ohhh wait! Have we dunn that already?
  • Technically I only implanted one of those, young Naga.

• YueYue
    edited February 2013
    Conspiracy to implant then.

Technically not Naga.

Also, it's a two-part activity. Don't forget about the calling-people-whiners part, it's the most fun!
  • edited February 2013
    Put a dress on a pig, etc.

Neither side is innocent of that last part, yue very obvious alt.

I can make bad puns too.

• I'm stepping out of this thread now cause s*** just got real!
  • YueYue
    edited February 2013
    Dunn said:
    Neither side is innocent of that last part, yue very obvious alt.
    To quote @Zeon:

"hahahahahahahaha

edit: no"

edit: tagging @Antidas & @Tvistor for lols
  • edited February 2013
    Look, you're either an alt or a nerd in their eyes bby, I'm not sure if the latter is an improvement.

I mean, Dunn, how dare you. <3 Yue.

But seriously, not an alt. Just smart. 
  • YueYue
    edited February 2013
    I'm not sure I can continue supporting my original decision to tag you in, Tvistortilla.

Shoot. I'm going to make chocolate milk and figure things out.

edit: Nerd is cool. I'm alright with that.

• edited February 2013
    Neeeeeeerd.

<3
  • W-what has happened to you Tvistor..? You've...ch-changed.
  • It's just so lonely in Targthingy without you, baby.
  • Th..the times together, Tvistor. D-don't you remember? What happened to us?!
  • Vaehl...

I-

There was another griefer.
  • market Paying to find out who disagreed with Tvistor's comment five comments up.
  • edited February 2013
    B-but we danced in the moonlight. It was beautiful. It was one of the first times I really felt alive.

*chokes*

I think I s-spilled some water on my eyes. *wipes his face*

Tvistor..please c-c..come back.

I don't care about any other griefers. I can f-forgive you. We can mend it. We can take this relationship one..one step further.
  • Damn it, Vaehl, you knew this was just a vivisex thing.
  • edited February 2013
    W-what? I let you songbless my rapier. You can't just take that back...I've never let anyone else get that close to me. I..likely will never again*. We just..clicked Tvistor. I saw something in you..no it wasn't that tapeworm you got when you moved to Australia. It was special... Was the identity of the other griefer..Cahin? Even he couldn't find what I found in you when he triggered vivi to trample on you with Aepas. T-Tvistor. You've..changed. * Mizik, if you free call me.
  • K thanks for burning my boredom, off to play soccer.