Forays: A Review.

Comments

• I can currently still do fortress, so I'll let you know when it gets buffed again to fix the fact that I can still do it. 

• Yeah, the documentation in Achaea has become atrocious in the last few years. I don't know if it was always like this and I was just so immersed that I didn't notice, but since coming back it's been endlessly frustrating to find out what half of the new things are, what they do, how they're supposed to act, etc.

A changelog would help this, but the game would also benefit massively from someone spending a week or a month or however long is necessary going through all of the last x additions and making sure they're CLEARLY documented in HELP files and not just filed away in some news post somewhere.

• HELP PROMOITEMS is a big issue currently. It was useful when there were only a handful of promo items. Now it's a disgusting mess.

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• HELP [DISCONTINUED] SHOP OF WONDERS and HELP LEGEND DECK are both incredibly unwieldy. Would be nice to just be able to do HELP MATIC/whatever or HELP STARDUST FLASK/etc. Same with all the artie HELPs, really.

At least those things are all actually documented, though. Learning about the new shrines/essence/crusades/etc. has been a nightmare. People coming back in smaller orders would have next to no chance.

• ARTSEARCH FLASK

LDECK SEARCH MATIC

• The fact that's a thing and I had no idea illustrates the problem perfectly.

• ARTSEARCH, sure, but if you do LEGENDDECK, it’ll show up in the syntaxes.

There could definitely be better documentation, but it wasn’t exactly hidden. 

Just sayin. 
  • Yes....much hidden....very secret....

• https://ada-young.com/pastebin/U4WE90KY

A good ol rousing game of "Fuck you, fight me with only 15 minutes left on the clock because the trash leading up to me has fucktupled HP and a WSC only does 60% to a bat's HP".

I'd like to not walk into room and get chunked for 50% of my health in one hit, tbh. Even with a 4 person team, that's inane. There's no fighting in any of my lesser forms that'd help.

Also does he still steal items? If he does, Barrows is literally just never going to be done.  No one feels like getting items stolen and having to deal with a supermob.
  • We've gone ahead and scaled back the AoE damage for mobs that attack more quickly (and the damage on that particular AoE a bit further). And Vulkuz doesn't steal items anymore, no.
  • Phaestus said:
    We've gone ahead and scaled back the AoE damage for mobs that attack more quickly (and the damage on that particular AoE a bit further). And Vulkuz doesn't steal items anymore, no.
    Wooooooooo.

Okay. Vulkuz is still swinging.. real-hard. But maybe we're just missing something outside of the obvious. Will try a bit more whenever I get interested in dying more.
  • VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    edited May 2020

That was with algiz and blessings and I got level 3 defensive and offensive arties for hunting. With Aim to Kill it requires a WSC to 'one shot' them (I really need trait reset cause that one is such a waste). I can take one, maybe two if I'm lucky with crits. But they roam too much, stun, block movement, yank down flyers and the mages ignore prismatic barrier with at least their ice attack

• The ogres were missed in one part of our overhaul and will wander significantly more slowly now, so groups should be easier managed. Otherwise, everything above looks correct, yes. 
  • VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    I dread for the people that haven't spent 8700+ credits on arties and aren't dragons if that's the case. Cause I for sure can't tank more than 2 ogres

• Go with less people! I've heard reports of the ogres being much much easier if you go in a pair. Kog completed a run earlier this month doing that.
  • VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    edited May 2020
    I went with Yen, we used to be able to do it no problem. This time we ran out of time before we had even killed all 30 magi/brutes because we died that much

And we're both people that's spent 8700+ on arties not to mention talismans and cards, we really shouldn't be finding it overly difficult as long as we're just a tiny bit careful.

• Veldrin said:
    I dread for the people that haven't spent 8700+ credits on arties and aren't dragons if that's the case. Cause I for sure can't tank more than 2 ogres
    It's almost like the foray scales!
  • He, unfortunately, could not go in with less.
  • Can you check the AoE on Borgron and the Mages @Phaestus? It feels like I got 70% damage at one point from Borgron, then Insta'd. 

Could you tune this down? I thought this wasn't a buff. 
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • edited May 2020

Here's a snippet, @Phaestus, because I don't feel like AoE is being fair in this.

03:01:54 (Party): Achilles says, "88%." (100% health of my character)

03:01:56 Sparkles of psi energy cease their distracting dance around Borgron, captain of the fortress's vision.

03:01:59 Borgron, captain of the fortress bellows an incantation and fire sprouts from his palms.
    03:01:59 Agony erupts all over your body as your flesh begins to melt away.

03:01:59 You take out some salve and quickly rub it on your torso.
    03:01:59 The raging fire about your skin goes out.

03:01:59 You take a drink from an oaken vial.
    03:01:59 The elixir heals and soothes you.

03:01:59 You remove 1 potash, bringing the total in the rift to 2091.

03:01:59 You eat a potash crystal.
    03:01:59 You feel your health and mana replenished.

03:01:59 Achilles takes some salve from a vial and rubs it on his torso.

03:01:59 Achilles takes a drink from a garnet vial.

03:01:59 Achilles eats some irid moss.

03:02:00 You may apply another salve to yourself.

03:02:03 Borgron, captain of the fortress says, "You will scream before the end, Astarod."
    03:02:03 Borgron, captain of the fortress bellows an incantation and fire sprouts from his palms.
    03:02:03 Agony erupts all over your body as your flesh begins to melt away.
    03:02:03 Achilles has been slain by Borgron, captain of the fortress.

03:02:03 You have been slain by Borgron, captain of the fortress.
    03:02:03 Your starburst tattoo flares as the world is momentarily tinted red.

03:02:03 A coruscating stream of sanguine light emanates from a bone ring with a fire rune, surrounding Achilles with a scintillating aura.

03:02:03 You take a drink from an oaken vial.

03:02:03 You take out some salve and quickly rub it on your torso.
    03:02:03 The raging fire about your skin goes out.

03:02:03 You clench your fists, grit your teeth, and banish all possibility of sleep.

03:02:03 Achilles takes a drink from an onyx vial.

03:02:03 You take a drink from an oaken vial.
    03:02:03 You feel a momentary dizziness as your resistance to damage by poison increases.

03:02:03 A frigid stream of cerulean light emanates from a bone ring with an ice rune, surrounding Achilles with a frosty aura.

03:02:03 You remove 1 dolomite, bringing the total in the rift to 2453.

03:02:03 You eat a dolomite grain.
    03:02:03 You now possess the gift of the third eye.

03:02:03 A crackling stream of argentine light emanates from a bone ring with a lightning rune, surrounding Achilles with a flickering aura.

03:02:03 (Party): You say, "Achilles Bursted!"

03:02:04 You remove 1 quartz, bringing the total in the rift to 2429.

03:02:04 You eat a quartz grain.
    03:02:04 An instant feeling of excitement and edginess overcomes you.

03:02:05 You may apply another salve to yourself.

03:02:05 Achilles takes some salve from a vial and rubs it on his skin.

03:02:05 You remove 1 quicksilver, bringing the total in the rift to 2441.

03:02:05 You apply a quicksilver droplet to yourself.

03:02:05 You may drink another health or mana elixir.

03:02:05 [System]: Prepended + to your eqbal queue.

03:02:05 A swirling stream of heliotrope light emanates from a silver ring of meditation, surrounding Achilles with a shimmering aura.

03:02:05 You take a drink from an oaken vial.
    03:02:05 Your body begins to feel lighter and you feel that you are floating slightly.

03:02:05 Achilles rips into Borgron, captain of the fortress with his massive, deadly claws.

03:02:05 Your vision sharpens with light as you gain night sight.

03:02:05 Achilles eats a hawthorn berry.

03:02:05 You remove 1 arsenic, bringing the total in the rift to 2418.

03:02:05 You eat an arsenic pellet.
    03:02:05 Your eyes dim as you lose your sight.

03:02:05 A coruscating stream of sanguine light emanates from sunless hope, surrounding you with a scintillating aura.

03:02:05 A frigid stream of cerulean light emanates from sunless hope, surrounding you with a frosty aura.

03:02:05 A swirling stream of heliotrope light emanates from sunless hope, surrounding you with a shimmering aura.

03:02:05 Tiny tremours spread through your body as the world seems to slow down.

03:02:05 Borgron, captain of the fortress sinks his blades into your flesh, opening wounds that instantly fester with poison.
    03:02:05 You are confused as to the effects of the venom.
    03:02:05 You are confused as to the effects of the venom.

03:02:06 A crackling stream of argentine light emanates from sunless hope, surrounding you with a flickering aura.

03:02:06 [Clotted SEVEN TIMES]

03:02:06 [Clotted SEVEN TIMES]

03:02:06 You take a drink from an oaken vial.
    03:02:06 The elixir heals and soothes you.

03:02:06 You take a drink from a dark vial of acacia wood and blossoms.
    03:02:06 A chill runs over your icy skin.

03:02:06 You may eat another plant or mineral.

03:02:06 You remove 1 arsenic, bringing the total in the rift to 2417.

03:02:06 You eat an arsenic pellet.
    03:02:06 Your eyes dim as you lose your sight.

03:02:06 You take out some salve and quickly rub it on your skin.
    03:02:06 A feeling of comfortable warmth spreads over you.

03:02:06 Your lightning summoning is complete.

03:02:07 Achilles touches a cloak tattoo.

03:02:07 You may apply another salve to yourself.

03:02:07 You may eat another plant or mineral.

03:02:07 You remove 1 calamine, bringing the total in the rift to 2468.

03:02:07 You eat a calamine crystal.

03:02:07 With a low rumbling from deep within his belly, Achilles utters a guttural chant. His skin ripples as a web of crackling magical energy dances like fire across its surface, settling to solidify into a flexible, translucent shell.

03:02:08 You have recovered balance on all limbs.
    03:02:08 [System]: Running queued eqbal command: DIAGNOSE
    03:02:08 You are:
    03:02:08 afflicted by horrible asthma.
    03:02:08 blind.
    03:02:08 bleeding for 19 health.
    03:02:08 [System]: Running queued eqbal command: DIAGNOSE

03:02:08 You touch the tree of life tattoo.
    03:02:08 Your bronchial tubes open up and your asthma is cured.

03:02:09 Borgron, captain of the fortress bellows an incantation and fire sprouts from his palms.
    03:02:09 Agony erupts all over your body as your flesh begins to melt away.
    03:02:09 You have been slain by Borgron, captain of the fortress.

03:02:09 Achilles takes some salve from a vial and rubs it on his torso.

03:02:09 Achilles takes a drink from a garnet vial.

03:02:09 Achilles eats some irid moss.

That is a little less than 30 seconds. I wasn't even the primary target when I died. ( I was at 100% when Achilles said that PT)

@Kog what was your Borgron doing, Damage-wise with the AoE flame attack?
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Yea, getting creamed hard by trash mobs, PRC only doing 70% to trash mobs while they're pumping out 30%/second... this isn't "looking pretty solid". I love our admin, and all the hard work they do.. I just wish they would consider erring on the side of "easier". It's far more simple to scale mobs up in difficulty after testing, than it is to tune them down... as evidenced by the rampant slaughterfest still ongoing
  • For everyone wondering about dragonquest. The Admin found the Foreman guilty of bug abuse, so they truedisfavoured him (which caused him to be very easy for us to kill). However, after he was unrepentant, he was shrubbed. 

That's where the dragonquest foray went. Change my mind.

• edited May 2020
    I guess the, "Making challenging mobs that aren't simply ones that do a lot of damage." promise doesn't extend to forays, and is solely for event mobs (which even then the promise wasn't really kept lol).

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• The sky above grows dark as a harrowing thrall of Aegoth calls upon powerful magics. Raising his hands
    balefully, he causes lightning bolts, the hammer of the storm, to shoot from his hands and slam into you.
    Jomi has been slain by a harrowing thrall of Aegoth.
    11081h/100%h 99%m 75e 83w xe M [Thrall].
    Nbige has been slain by a harrowing thrall of Aegoth.
    534h/4%h 99%m 75e 83w xe M [Thrall] (-10547h, 95.2%).

Icosse trash was a lot more manageable than Margam trash, challenging but manageable.  I think it was pretty well balanced (with 4 dragons, 1 non-dragon). Aside from the no windup one-shots by the Thrall (think something's wrong here).
  • Aegoth said:
    Yea, getting creamed hard by trash mobs, PRC only doing 70% to trash mobs while they're pumping out 30%/second... this isn't "looking pretty solid". I love our admin, and all the hard work they do.. I just wish they would consider erring on the side of "easier". It's far more simple to scale mobs up in difficulty after testing, than it is to tune them down... as evidenced by the rampant slaughterfest still ongoing
    Hmm, not sure if I agree here. When you design things gaming-wise, there's usually less complaints when an encounter is made easier as opposed to when an easy encounter is buffed to extreme difficulty as evidenced by parts of this thread.

What I don't like is having to live test these changes and receive no feedback or even notice (unless you're in the ACC, know someone that is or want to slog through difficult instances again just to find XYZ).

Public changelogs for mechanic/PVE tuning or other changes that aren't classleads would be amazing and add transparency.
  • That thrall hit is amazing. Is it full AoE, or is it psuedo stormhammer and actually only hits three people?
  • Silas said:
    The fact that's a thing and I had no idea illustrates the problem perfectly.
    Those functions weren't added without telling anybody, they were posted about on the Announce board. If you don't know they exist, it's because you didn't read those posts or you forgot the commands existed after reading about them. Neither of those is a change documentation issue. A more detailed change log would be useful for people actively playing at that time, but for most returning players it's just going to mean even more information that they'll decide not to read through.

In terms of regular documentation, how exactly would you want them to make you aware of these things outside of putting them in the relevant HELP files?