How fun the Reckoning is as an event

Comments

• Truax said:
    Yen said:
    Truax said:

For our part, we sort of assumed that the Reckoning's history and recent calls were themselves predefined standards for the essay, and it paid off in the end!

We has this element also.  From what I can see (3 of the 5 entries), the contest rewarded a solid knowledge of the lore behind the contender and possibly good counterarguments against the other contenders as well.  We tried our best on the first--and I don't think we did badly--but the second was missing, mostly because of a (possibly misguided) desire not to go negative in the campaign, at least not as an opening gambit (responses in kind are another matter).

We also thought that with two more essay contests in the pipeline, it would be more of a proposition and response type format--say, the five essays are published (as the application letters were), and then a second round of rebuttals, and then a third round of concluding statements.  That would have provided more opportunity to understand the judgment criteria and adapt subsequent entries accordingly.  We likely would have approached it differently if we had not been thinking about the essay contest as a three part series.

We may have had one small part that pointed out the vast difference between her and the others, but ours was mostly a pure pro-Maim piece. We too were expecting a possible debate or continued writings that required counterarguments and such, but in the end decided to follow the prompt and Reckoning lore as closely as possible. Looking forward to when this is complete so we can see/share all the entries.

Several of us have already shared ours. Ashtan (and maybe Eleusis?) are the only ones holding out. I'd be interested in reading them too.
  • Farrah said:
    Truax said:
    Yen said:
    Truax said:

For our part, we sort of assumed that the Reckoning's history and recent calls were themselves predefined standards for the essay, and it paid off in the end!

We has this element also.  From what I can see (3 of the 5 entries), the contest rewarded a solid knowledge of the lore behind the contender and possibly good counterarguments against the other contenders as well.  We tried our best on the first--and I don't think we did badly--but the second was missing, mostly because of a (possibly misguided) desire not to go negative in the campaign, at least not as an opening gambit (responses in kind are another matter).

We also thought that with two more essay contests in the pipeline, it would be more of a proposition and response type format--say, the five essays are published (as the application letters were), and then a second round of rebuttals, and then a third round of concluding statements.  That would have provided more opportunity to understand the judgment criteria and adapt subsequent entries accordingly.  We likely would have approached it differently if we had not been thinking about the essay contest as a three part series.

We may have had one small part that pointed out the vast difference between her and the others, but ours was mostly a pure pro-Maim piece. We too were expecting a possible debate or continued writings that required counterarguments and such, but in the end decided to follow the prompt and Reckoning lore as closely as possible. Looking forward to when this is complete so we can see/share all the entries.

Several of us have already shared ours. Ashtan (and maybe Eleusis?) are the only ones holding out. I'd be interested in reading them too.
    Where are these posted? I am curious to read them.
  • Kog said:
    Iocun said:
    Lenn said:
    A wizard conclave relying on 1) democratic vote and 2) the perceived intelligence of the candidate's supporters seems dumb to me though. "Ugh, I hate how foolish adventurers are, they can barely understand simple instructions, time to let them decide our new member."
    Yeah, that's really my main gripe with the event. I don't really mind how the event works mechanically, but RP-wise much of it doesn't seem very credible to me. You'd think the candidates themselves would be tested quite a bit more, rather than just their supporters.

This is just reality TV for the Conclave. In the end they're going to appoint Wavel.
    I'd totally cheer for that.
  • Iocun said:
    Kog said:
    Iocun said:
    Lenn said:
    A wizard conclave relying on 1) democratic vote and 2) the perceived intelligence of the candidate's supporters seems dumb to me though. "Ugh, I hate how foolish adventurers are, they can barely understand simple instructions, time to let them decide our new member."
    Yeah, that's really my main gripe with the event. I don't really mind how the event works mechanically, but RP-wise much of it doesn't seem very credible to me. You'd think the candidates themselves would be tested quite a bit more, rather than just their supporters.

This is just reality TV for the Conclave. In the end they're going to appoint Wavel.
    I'd totally cheer for that.
    We should've just sent an essay supporting Wavel and convinced the Conclave to open up a sixth contender slot. :P
  • I'll always be a little sad we didn't get to see Wavel's forces.
  • Sad the Quiz is a single player event, and wonder why it was made that way. They come around rarely enough as it is, would have been fun to give more people a chance to participate. If the single best player wins all the facets and there are short timers on the answers anyway to make collusion or looking things up infeasible, sheer numbers don't matter.
  • edited April 2020
    A small story from the quiz:

Right after time was called on the final question, I did something bad with my laptop and it seemed to brick: black screen, wouldn’t turn back on. It’s working now, but that was a terrifying minute or so. (It did not affect the outcome of the Quiz, though.)

Edit: Also, best part of the quiz was after:

The innate noise of the world subsides and you find yourself encircled by a cool
    presence. A single point of warmth presses to your forehead, approval radiating 
    from the locus as Lorielan marks you with Her recognition for 1 Achaean month.

Yaaaaaaaay
  • Axios2 said:
    Sad the Quiz is a single player event, and wonder why it was made that way. They come around rarely enough as it is, would have been fun to give more people a chance to participate. If the single best player wins all the facets and there are short timers on the answers anyway to make collusion or looking things up infeasible, sheer numbers don't matter.
    I'm assuming answers were sent in a tell to Yudhi. Probably didn't wanna be spammed by 600 people.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

• They were. However, someone did ask Yudhisthira whether viewers could contact the contestants with answers and was explicitly told yes. So audience participation was allowed. (I certainly did get a few people during the quiz.)
  • SOOOOOOO.... I never got this answered.

Did Cyrene apologies for calling Deuce Daddy?
    Cause like, there was a lot of threats, fire and brimstone being spewed for the insult by Targossas.... but now its all watevs?
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    I felt a lot better being able to have people in a party to help back me up, because I felt like there was enormous pressure being the sole representative. Too bad I was a bit hesitant and didn't type some answers fast enough, but @Truax 100% deserved the win.

Thank you to the Mhaldorians who helped think of answers and cheered me on!
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Tahquil said:
    SOOOOOOO.... I never got this answered.

Cause like, there was a lot of threats, fire and brimstone being spewed for the insult by Targossas.... but now its all watevs?
    Think that storyline died out as fast as it appeared. 
  • It got put on hold to fight a war! You can look forward to the conclusion soon, all you Cyrene-watchers.
  • Tahquil said:
    SOOOOOOO.... I never got this answered.

They think we're blaspheming weaklings (ok yes fair), we think they're hypocritical backstabbing fanatics, but what is either city going to do? Support a necromancer or priest of Twilight for the Conclave out of spite? 
  • edited April 2020
    Ally.
    Intra-candidate contest.
    Support no one/be a force of disruption.
    have monthly meetings and bi-meetings to ratify a plan of attack.

There is no wrong choice, can do anything you want and play it out of course, but there was definitely more than one, or even the ones above to take. Hell, you could all sit at Thera having non-stop protest rallies if you wanted. Not every choice is easy, and sometimes to really put some oomph into a storyline, you gotta make the shittiest or least likeable of decisions. 

Also, there has been a lot of complaints about the event being boring (including from myself), but honestly all cities went down the path of least resistance, so we should also shoulder some blame for that, and not point fingers everywhere else IMO.
  • edited April 2020
    Not working together, btw. Just happen to be in the same room, killing the same two people together, not doing anything to one another.

It's purely coincidental that this has happened every day.

• I bring it up to point out Aurora has a really good IC reason to get angry about Targossians assisting Cyrenians in any way. Her directive and punishments could be legit IG but I keep seeing accusations over and over how the volunteer behind it is bending to OOC forum pressure.

I get that it's an admin event and you guys were shoe-horned into trying to promote the same candidate but they insulted your God and when you demanded an apology they thumbed their nose at you.
    On the other side of the coin they threatened to raze your city (if I'm remembering rightly).

I applaud the ability of citizens on both side for really sticking to their rp of forgiveness and putting their candidate above pride of their city and their god.
  • It's not about forgiveness RP. It's not about politics at all. It's about the possible in game consequences of having somebody like Maim or Sevet on the Conclave. Neither city wants to help each other. We just both badly want to keep the seat away from a denizen who might use what they learn to like.... raise massive undead armies to take over Sapience or pass information to the Tsol'teth (for Cyrene) or spread horrible chaos errywhere (for Targossas). 

Aurora and Targ for sure have a legitimate reason to be pissed at Cyrene. I just don't see how they're spinning the RP that spurning Cyrene over a news post is more important than the Conclave seat. Pryla'ari is ahead by a smidge but if we could actually coordinate, she'd probably be ahead by more.  
  • edited April 2020
    Laedha said:
    Neither city wants to help each other.

• edited April 2020
    This really isn't hard to understand. Cyrene's number one enemy right now is the Tsol'teth. The Conclave has been a key party that's helped against the Tsol'teth in the past. An ally of the Tsol'teth is seeking membership on the Conclave. This, as you might imagine, is not a prospect we like very much.

In short, this has been the first chance to take substantive action against the Tsol'teth's allies since the end of the Wave. Of course we're taking it seriously.
  • Didn’t Targ also ally with the TT?
  • The event is cool I guess. Any big world-enveloping event is cool. I'm digging it. Normal raids are going to feel sooo tame by comparison.

Ya know I think the teaming stuff is going to give a lot of people reasons to feel good about the event in the end. If Cyrene/Targ wins, it was because 'they had overwhelming odds in their favor'. If somebody else wins, they triumphed over said odds.

For what it's worth, I'm digging Cyrene/Targ being the unified 'bad guy'. I think if Life Lady doesn't win, a lot of people are gunna chalk that up as a win in their own heads. Something something couldn't win -despite- odds something.. I mean, I'd be stoked to see Sevet win, of only because that means Life Lady didn't.

Been tweaking a lot of rookie mistakes over the course of the event. Defs after starburst, tracking whether or not I have somebodies shadow, that stupid bullshit 'shouldn't have been flying' airlord kill, and proper lyre usage (totally feel like the last couple uses I got my worth out of it, soooooo many people hit that thing).
  • Minifie said:
    Didn’t Targ also ally with the TT?
    Yeah but Hashan did first so they get banned from the city forever, Targ only did it second so they get to be allies, it makes sense don’t worry about it.
  • edited April 2020
    Targossas was an ally. Hashan (including Telaan) is an ally. Bit of a difference there.

But more to the point, we're not backing Targossas for the Conclave, we're backing the candidate that we discussed among ourselves, met with, voted for, and encouraged to run for the spot. If Targossas had put forward a Targossian candidate, Cyrene likely would have sat the event out/played spoiler.

This has all gotten said time and time again, though, so I don't think anyone's actually looking to get convinced, just to complain that our actions didn't match your desires. If you genuinely don't understand and want to, maybe investigate IC. If you think Cyrene should be played differently, then you can join Cyrene and work to change it. And if you want to complain then keep complaining, but suggesting that this was somehow poor rp because it didn't match your desires is silly.
  • Keorin said:
    This really isn't hard to understand. Cyrene's number one enemy right now is the Tsol'teth. The Conclave has been a key party that's helped against the Tsol'teth in the past. An ally of the Tsol'teth is seeking membership on the Conclave. This, as you might imagine, is not a prospect we like very much.

In short, this has been the first chance to take substantive action against the Tsol'teth's allies since the end of the Wave. Of course we're taking it seriously.

I may be wrong, but Iit's not that people don't grasp the statement you're making here.

Of course Cyrene hates the Tsol'teth and wanted a candidate that could help them maintain a strong stance against them. But that doesn't negate the fact that your city had finally gotten a few feet out from under the shadow of Targossas and this is viewed by many as a leap back into that (just months after a lot of silly bravado spilled across the Public boards. Just really bad timing there).

I disagree that Cyrene has taken a substantive action through their choice though. All you really have is a speculative promise that your chosen contender will help you achieve your aims. It has potential, which is great for Cyrene, but selling it as anything more than that would be premature, and the working relationship with Targossas is tainting it quite a bit, so that's something you'll end up dealing with for a while down the road.

I honestly don't care either way. Ashtan is having fun and that's all that matters to me!

• Yeah, it'd be crazy to hope a tsol'dasi would be opposed to the tsol'teth.
  • I called you all out IC but I got some sassy kid who made a bunch of tired quips and nothing else. Everything involving this IC has been ignored, and forum rp’d. If you want to actually do it IG, you are welcome to, but without metagaming all most of Mhaldor really knows is targ and cyrene were made at each other, then not, cyrene hates the TT but is fine working with a city that could be ex tt, could still be willing to work with it, who knows! 
  • Keorin said:
    Targossas was an ally. Hashan (including Telaan) is an ally. Bit of a difference there.

But more to the point, we're not backing Targossas for the Conclave, we're backing the candidate that we discussed among ourselves, met with, voted for, and encouraged to run for the spot. If Targossas had put forward a Targossian candidate, Cyrene likely would have sat the event out/played spoiler.

This has all gotten said time and time again, though, so I don't think anyone's actually looking to get convinced, just to complain that our actions didn't match your desires. If you genuinely don't understand and want to, maybe investigate IC. If you think Cyrene should be played differently, then you can join Cyrene and work to change it. And if you want to complain then keep complaining, but suggesting that this was somehow poor rp because it didn't match your desires is silly.
    I don’t understand your is/was comment. There has been literally no interaction with the Teth aside from the alchemist class bump that Targ hasn’t been just as involved in as the rest of the world.

If being anti Teth is your biggest worry, you should be backing Maim or Sevet or something because your choice is now tainted by being backed by Teth allies. It doesn’t matter that you think you convinced them to throw their hat in the ring, now you can’t be sure if they did it because you were so convincing or if Teth allies convinced them with promises of power when the time comes.

• To me, the most damning thing Keo's said is [paraphrased] "We wouldn't be participating unless we had an alliance with someone else", which really is a concerning mindset to have, and speaks volumes to me about the OOC "win at any cost" mentality
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Aegoth said:
    To me, the most damning thing Keo's said is [paraphrased] "We wouldn't be participating unless we had an alliance with someone else", which really is a concerning mindset to have, and speaks volumes to me about the OOC "win at any cost" mentality
    ironic.

Anyways, if you guys spent as much energy forum-fighting as you did in-game fighting, you might not be so far behind :)