Iron Elite Membership Updates!

Comments

• I personally met numerous people over the past year+ that were new and never seen again, and a few explicitly mentioned how confused they were about the credit system/pricing (wait, ONE simple artefact costs, like, as much as Cyberpunk 2077 is going to..? Uhhh...)

I've been around for a decade+ now coming and going with numerous alts, mostly just to see where the game's at RP wise. This character is one I finally decided to bash to Dragon (which I have a lot of hilarious gripes with as well, Manara was the best XP/hr I could find solo, bar none), I've never spent much, maybe a couple hundred total across all those years, but the entire reason is that the value is horse shit. If artefacts were in the realm of $5-$10, like I'm sure most normal functioning adults would expect, I'd have been playing all these years and probably spent thousands to customize/personalize my character/home/store/etc.

This idea that the game should function on whales is burning the game to the ground. It's unfortunate these "higher ups" are so blind to it, and that whales continue to pay them.

• Urnhlug said:
    I personally met numerous people over the past year+ that were new and never seen again, and a few explicitly mentioned how confused they were about the credit system/pricing (wait, ONE simple artefact costs, like, as much as Cyberpunk 2077 is going to..? Uhhh...)

I've been around for a decade+ now coming and going with numerous alts, mostly just to see where the game's at RP wise. This character is one I finally decided to bash to Dragon (which I have a lot of hilarious gripes with as well, Manara was the best XP/hr I could find solo, bar none), I've never spent much, maybe a couple hundred total across all those years, but the entire reason is that the value is horse shit. If artefacts were in the realm of $5-$10, like I'm sure most normal functioning adults would expect, I'd have been playing all these years and probably spent thousands to customize/personalize my character/home/store/etc.

This idea that the game should function on whales is burning the game to the ground. It's unfortunate these "higher ups" are so blind to it, and that whales continue to pay them.
    Even some of the whales are leaving now too.

Relying on new players, or whales, is a bad strategy. Listen to the people currently playing, and wanting to stick around.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

• edited February 2020
    Vhaith said:
    I don't think it's gonna kill the economy and break the game into a million pieces if you add a talisman cache, or a Mayan Crown, or a sleeve each month to your promotion.

Or just. I don't know... Make the sub price more reasonable. Even AAA games don't cost more than $10-15 a month (if they have a sub model). Not even BDO or Archeage which are the two major p2w wins. The ones that have a sub model, but are f2p/b2p (bdo and ESO come to mind), also give a hell of a lot more for the sub than Achaea does.

The whole 'you get more credits!!' argument kinda falls flat, when the credits are bound off the bat.

• So I'm not super well versed on these things, but here's my stance on it...

I pay for iron elite because, yes, comparable expenditure on straight credits isn't as directly rewarding. It's already been mentioned that buying that months promo for somebody in exchange for unbound credits is a better deal, so I won't rehash that in depth. I've done it once or twice, and yeah, that's the way to be.

I don't pay for subscriptions for other games. Little surprised that WOW is 15/month, so that's ummm....something to discuss there.

I've even been pulled round to the camp that says 'arties aren't necessary'. Short of some odd outliers (I've heard DWB arties open up kill paths you can't normally do) I'd say you can be functional in any class without them.

Except serpents...

I'm not one, never been one, the serpent combat doesn't appeal to me. BUT. I've been told repeatedly that the class is nearly unusable without artefacts. I'd like some people to weigh in on this, because I VEHEMENTLY deny these claims every chance I get, stating that a class can't be unusable without artefacts. That's a stupid mechanical oversight if that's truly the case. And yet, damn near everybody I talk to says the class is useless without an artefacted dirk. So in that case, having people tell a novice (who likely took serpent for the aesthetic alone) that they are useless without a SIZEABLE drop on an artefact, outside class and mini skills, doesn't bode well for that novice sticking around. "Pick another class, because the one you wanted is expensive to play".

Whether this means that certain artefacts need their price reduced, credits need to be cheaper, or the monthly subscription needs to be more rewarding, I can't really say. But SOMETHING needs to be rehashed, imho.
  • Pyori said:
    Vhaith said:
    I don't think it's gonna kill the economy and break the game into a million pieces if you add a talisman cache, or a Mayan Crown, or a sleeve each month to your promotion.

Or just. I don't know... Make the sub price more reasonable. Even AAA games don't cost more than $10-15 a month (if they have a sub model). Not even BDO or Archeage which are the two major p2w wins. The ones that have a sub model, but are f2p/b2p (bdo and ESO come to mind), also give a hell of a lot more for the sub than Achaea does.

The whole 'you get more credits!!' argument kinda falls flat, when the credits are bound off the bat.
    Agreed. I was just trying to be logical and square them up with the other IRE games, instead of comparing them to MMO's and stuff. 

You can't really use the logic 'We can't do this cause it's already super cheap', when you're literally doing the exact same thing in every other game you own, for the same price. Well, I mean... you can. Cause they just tried to. But.. y'know. You shouldn't.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

• edited February 2020
    What happens when the whales die?  We've been at this for two decades now, the whales are getting older, and frankly the numbers of new people are not equating into what it was even a decade ago before the upper management decided to kill off half the population by killing off half the Gods.

Mila has a reasonable amount of artefacts, I've likely spent close to the 20-30k or so mark in money for it, but I still don't get why we can't get the perks the other games get.

I understand it's inventive to try those games since they are basically ghost towns compared to achaea, but your whales are getting older, and sooner or later the revenue will drop cause they can't sustain the game anymore.

Getting more "bang for your buck" will possibly increase not only revenue currently, but possibly increase not only new player interests but retention.

Just my thoughts by someone most consider a "whale" that doesn't have elite since it provides absolutely nothing for me.

(Give me a way to get more room credits easier and I'd resubscribe)
  • Yeah. I was building a house and then calculated it was going to cost like, 1.5 million gold per room (one door added) and just gave up the entire thing.

BUT if I had a house, then I'd likely look at buying fun house stuff, which adds more to the IRE coffers, since I'd likely have to buy credits and such. So, y'know. There's perks to giving people a little more when they support your game.

• Rackham said:

I don't pay for subscriptions for other games. Little surprised that WOW is 15/month, so that's ummm....something to discuss there.
    WoW is 15/month, but has reducing costs depending how many months you buy at a time. (Also bonus rewards for certain packages).
    1 month: $14.99/month
    3 months: $13.99/month. Save $12.00 per year.
    6-Month & Squeakers (a pet): $12.99/month. Save $24.00 per year.
    FF14 has two different subs.
    Membership TierSubscription LengthMonthly Price
    Entry30 days€10.95 / $12.99  --1 character per server, instead of 8
    Standard30 days€12.95 / $14.99
    Standard90 days€11.95 / $13.99
    Standard180 days€10.95 / $12.99
    Warframe Prime Access is $50 but it's in 3-month cycles, so it's essentially the sameish price. Also gives a lot more value.

ESO is a bit long... So I'll just paste the URL. I'll just say that the added crowns, costs more than the sub itself. And the crafting storage is invaluable if you plan to actually play the game.

BDO's value pack is worth significantly more than $15, if you plan to actually play the game frequently. The weight and storage alone is like $40. Free unlimited customisations is another ~$30 per month. (Also value packs can be bought with in-game currency).

Archeage scrapped theirs for Unchained, their normal version still has it though.

Other less popular MMOs with similar things as well, won't go through those, though.

• edited February 2020
    Rackham said:
    I'm not one, never been one, the serpent combat doesn't appeal to me. BUT. I've been told repeatedly that the class is nearly unusable without artefacts. I'd like some people to weigh in on this, because I VEHEMENTLY deny these claims every chance I get, stating that a class can't be unusable without artefacts. That's a stupid mechanical oversight if that's truly the case. And yet, damn near everybody I talk to says the class is useless without an artefacted dirk. So in that case, having people tell a novice (who likely took serpent for the aesthetic alone) that they are useless without a SIZEABLE drop on an artefact, outside class and mini skills, doesn't bode well for that novice sticking around. "Pick another class, because the one you wanted is expensive to play".
    Newer classes tend to be much better in this regard, but there's a few classes that -really- need artefacts to do well.

Serpent, bard, sentinel all want at least a level 1-2 weapon to have a reasonable affliction speed. Mind Sythe for monk, while not totally necessary for basic combat, is a fairly big part of their offense, and is only available with a diadem. Occie aff speed scales pretty heavily on int/diadem, not sure how it is unartied, though.

• edited February 2020
    Kinda wish pvp felt more doable from an earlier level. 

Back when I joined serpents and knights were encouraged to fight as early as envenom. Monks when you got scorpion kic, bards when they left Minia, Priests, while you were still in Minia (if you were troll) and 50% spirituality if you weren't.

I don't know if that was because so many were forced into combat, but before arties gated kill strategies, the seemed to be a lot more pk involvement. 

Now it seems more of their world (pk) vs our world. 

But I think it came from there getting so many low level players around that were interested. Low level characters now seem to be mostly alts. 

Edit: Forgot where this thought originated. Please lower credit prices so we can keep our young people. Pay2Win has a bad reputation and this isn't helping. 
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Viva la revolućion
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Jumpy said:
    As I said, we cannot give more bang for the buck. The buck is maxed. We could really only give more bang if we increased the buck.
    "I cannot decrease the cost of imaginary currency."

• Cooper said:
    Jumpy's response is pretty telling of how the top of IRE views the playerbase.

Remember that when you're deciding where to spend your dollar votes. You can play Achaea entirely for free, might be time to prove to Jumpy and Sarapis that we won't accept being treated like cash cows any longer.
    They'll just throw in some new shiny thing, that people can't resist buying because 'new and shiny, must have', and this whole thing will be forgotten. Much like so many other things that have caused frustration and a drop in players.

• Vhaith said:
    Cooper said:

Remember that when you're deciding where to spend your dollar votes. You can play Achaea entirely for free, might be time to prove to Jumpy and Sarapis that we won't accept being treated like cash cows any longer.
    They'll just throw in some new shiny thing, that people can't resist buying because 'new and shiny, must have', and this whole thing will be forgotten. Much like so many other things that have caused frustration and a drop in players.
    Aye, I cancelled my elite and just not spending a £1 more on Achaea, just so tired and frustrated, as every single little thing is just too expensive.

It's stupid things, like skills even being gated by credits... I mean seriously, why don't these scale with your level, or obtained in game, like evey other game in existence? That is before actual artifacts, which are just ridiculous, even for L1s.
  • But I agree with @Vhaith though, like Oracle (Anyone worked with these?), they tried to min/max profits on every little thing and bleed existing customers dry through licensing for so long, people finally thought screw this and moved onto cloud/open source/other databases that are much, much cheaper.

Unless we actually act and stop giving them insane amounts of money this is going continue as the top down try and find ways to exploit our addictive personalities.

Think this has been raised so many times in the past, but nothing actually happens, sadly as words go on deaf ears.
  • edited February 2020
    I can attest with my literal hundreds of Lucrescent nuts from the stockings in December:

People will flat out give away double the value in bound credits in exchange for the unbound value. I went out of my way to point out to several people selling to me that the nuts were redeemable for 2 bound credits and people were still more than happy to sell them to me at a rate of 1:1 unbound credits. It's also super common to find people selling talisman pieces for several unbound credits under their redeem value.

I needed the bound directly cus I was buying an artie I wanted. Tbh once I got it I stopped buying Lucrescent nuts 🤷🏻‍♂️ rather have my unbound stash.

Cooper said:

Only shitty part about if everyone suddenly stopped spending on the game and their profits plummeted - we wouldn't be hurting them at all. I don't doubt they have their nest egg and it'd be naive to think Achaea is the only pie they have their finger in (or I guess say that IRE is the basket they keep all their eggs in.) It'd get taken out on everyone beneath them up to the point Achaea had to either be shut down or managed with a skeleton crew of unpaid people desperate to keep the games on life support.
  • Telinus said:
    There are so many changes I would love to see for Achaea.

1 - level 1 artefacts are now purchasable in your city for a gold cost - they decay - or even offer a slightly lesser return for con/sip/travel etc. E.G - 50000 gold gets you a 7% sip ring for 10 months or something, a pair of wings that takes you to clouds that has a 3 second wind up and a 1 minute cooldown for 100k that lasts Y months. A level 1 con belt that lasts 10 months for 75k or something, just something so that newbies don't feel completely gimped.

Wait nvm. Nicola said they "don't copy from lesser games"

• Pyori said:
    Telinus said:
    There are so many changes I would love to see for Achaea.

1 - level 1 artefacts are now purchasable in your city for a gold cost - they decay - or even offer a slightly lesser return for con/sip/travel etc. E.G - 50000 gold gets you a 7% sip ring for 10 months or something, a pair of wings that takes you to clouds that has a 3 second wind up and a 1 minute cooldown for 100k that lasts Y months. A level 1 con belt that lasts 10 months for 75k or something, just something so that newbies don't feel completely gimped.

Wait nvm. Nicola said they "don't copy from lesser games"

First time I think I've visited the Aetolia website!
  • Would be awesome if the community would actually stick together and ignore future promotions/shinies until the problem is satisfactorily fixed, but I have a feeling that not everyone can stick with it. This type of game has a large population of players with slightly addictive personalities. The inability to “stick to your guns” hurts more in the long run in this situation.
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• I never had a real interest in the membership to begin with but this thread has made me even less interested.