Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Dragon Lairs

SobriquetSobriquet Posts: 2,172Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
ANNOUNCE NEWS #4976                                     (11/05/2018 at 11:11)  
From   : Ictinus, The Architect
To     : Everyone
Subject: The Dragon Quest!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of you more astute Achaeans may have noticed my announce post recently hinting that a long
-standing mystery was one step closer to being solved.

I'm pleased to announce that that mystery is the cultists' conspiracy and the related kidnappings of
newbies by the foul pygmies and the final stages of what we've come to internally call "The Dragon 
Quest" are now complete and available for play! All of a certain age or certain investigatory 
prowess may pursue these additional stages, eventually unlocking Dragon Lairs!

Dragons lairs act as something of a cross between a club house and a sanctuary for those of a
specific (and primary) dragon colour. Each colour has its own lair and this mini-area is shared with 
all other dragons of your colour, with access granted only to those who completely unravel the 
cultists' plot and prove themselves capable of disrupting their operations.

You will find spending too much time inside to be impossible. A mighty dragon can only laze for so
long!

Within the lair, you'll find the dragon hoard! As you might expect, this is a collective treasure
hoard, shared by all dragons of your colour. Increasing the reserves of your particular hoard can be 
done via the HOARD ENDOW command. You will also find that any gold unclaimed due to the gold cap 
will automatically be sent instead to your hoard, ensuring you never miss out on those coins while 
on a killing spree!

The hoard's gold can be used to unlock a number of beneficial perks (via the HOARD INVEST command),
including:

- Enhanced endurance regeneration for all within your lair
- Enhanced willpower regeneration for all within your lair
- A bonus to experience conferred upon all your fellow coloured dragons
- A critical hit chance bonus to all dragons of your colour

These are the first in what we anticipate to be a larger pool of upgrades as we monitor reception
and usage of the lairs!

Each of these perks is temporary and draws from the hoard to empower. Regular contribution is a
must!

Finally, for those of you with a penchant for rankings, RANKINGS ENDOWERS will keep score of which
dragon has contributed the most to their hoard across all dragons!

All of this information can also be found in HELP DRAGONLAIR, and the mystery awaits your keen
detective eye!

Enjoy!
image
ExelethrilVenserKlendathuKyrraUtianimaDaironDochithaShirszaeAchillesCamrothCailin
«13456

Comments

  • ArmaliArmali Posts: 1,066Member, Secret Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Man, those pygmies are going to be in for one helluva surprise.
    SobriquetUtianima
  • MathildaMathilda Posts: 888Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    How's this work for Elder Dragons?
     <3 
  • AntoniusAntonius Posts: 4,702Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Mathilda said:
    How's this work for Elder Dragons?
    "Dragons lairs act as something of a cross between a club house and a sanctuary for those of a specific (and primary) dragon colour."

    Sounds like it uses the colour you chose when you got Dragon.
    Mathilda
  • IctinusIctinus Posts: 186Administrator Admin
    Antonius said:
    Mathilda said:
    How's this work for Elder Dragons?
    "Dragons lairs act as something of a cross between a club house and a sanctuary for those of a specific (and primary) dragon colour."

    Sounds like it uses the colour you chose when you got Dragon.
    This is correct, we felt it would be somewhat awkward for Elders to be able to go to any lair.
    "If you build it, they will come."
  • DaironDairon Posts: 330Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Do you still get the color wide bonuses when you’re in another colour as elder?
  • CooperCooper IowaPosts: 4,717Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Can gold I put into the hoard be used by other people? It is worded that way, just want to clarify. 

  • TorinnTorinn Posts: 1,027Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    edited November 2018
    I'm really confused how do the pygmies have anything to do with dragons.....?
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
    Utianima
  • NicolaNicola Posts: 729Administrator Achaean staff
    Dairon said:
    Do you still get the color wide bonuses when you’re in another colour as elder?
    As an elder dragon if your primary colour's hoard has a bonus running you will enjoy that regardless of which colour you are dragonformed in.

    Cooper said:
    Can gold I put into the hoard be used by other people? It is worded that way, just want to clarify. 
    Hoard bonuses affect everyone of that primary dragon colour who has earned access to the lair, not just the person who donates.
  • CooperCooper IowaPosts: 4,717Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Nicola said:
    Dairon said:
    Do you still get the color wide bonuses when you’re in another colour as elder?
    As an elder dragon if your primary colour's hoard has a bonus running you will enjoy that regardless of which colour you are dragonformed in.

    Cooper said:
    Can gold I put into the hoard be used by other people? It is worded that way, just want to clarify. 
    Hoard bonuses affect everyone of that primary dragon colour who has earned access to the lair, not just the person who donates.
    Right, but the effects are temporary. I don't want someone else using gold I put in to get willpower regeneration or whatever! 

  • NicolaNicola Posts: 729Administrator Achaean staff
    Cooper said:
    Right, but the effects are temporary. I don't want someone else using gold I put in to get willpower regeneration or whatever! 
    If you want to save up for a specific bonus you might want to communicate and coordinate with the other dragons who have access to the same hoard, or use the bonuses you build up to yourself!

    Uneasy communication and cross faction tensions are always a fun added layer.
  • VikaVika Posts: 92Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Pfff. We all know Black Dragons are superior! o7
    ShirszaeCaelanTjay
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoPosts: 3,071Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Something which was brought and which I sort of agree with is that the introduction of it it is a bit odd for those of us who never actually had to go trough pygmies or helped the city denizens with it.

    But its admittedly a very minor thing

    And you won't understand the cause of your grief...


    ...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

    Zbaco
  • NicolaNicola Posts: 729Administrator Achaean staff
    Shirszae said:
    Something which was brought and which I sort of agree with is that the introduction of it it is a bit odd for those of us who never actually had to go trough pygmies or helped the city denizens with it.

    But its admittedly a very minor thing
    It's created with continuity for all character ages in mind, but this would be a great chance for players who were not present for the kidnapping spree to connect with those who were to find out more.
  • ExelethrilExelethril Posts: 3,334Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Is this a gold drain thing?

    [ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

    [ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the StormPosts: 3,126Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Is this a gold drain thing?
    Not necessarily. Those who regularly exceed the gold cap will contribute indirectly to the hoard.

    Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
    Siduri
  • IsmayIsmay Posts: 644Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Interesting. Not what I had in mind for dragon lairs, but it could be worth it in the long run. :)
  • TorinnTorinn Posts: 1,027Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Pfft I'm not working with any filthy heathens, bonuses be damned!
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
    Cooper
  • CooperCooper IowaPosts: 4,717Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Nicola said:
    Cooper said:
    Right, but the effects are temporary. I don't want someone else using gold I put in to get willpower regeneration or whatever! 
    If you want to save up for a specific bonus you might want to communicate and coordinate with the other dragons who have access to the same hoard, or use the bonuses you build up to yourself!

    Uneasy communication and cross faction tensions are always a fun added layer.
    I will have to respectfully disagree on the "always a fun added layer" bit. There are plenty of people IC and OOC I don't want to communicate or interact with at all.

    Please consider splitting or adding personal hoard stashes. Perhaps gold after the gold cap could be you only, and actual donated gold could be pooled?

  • AccipiterAccipiter Posts: 373Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Ictinus said:
    Antonius said:
    Mathilda said:
    How's this work for Elder Dragons?
    "Dragons lairs act as something of a cross between a club house and a sanctuary for those of a specific (and primary) dragon colour."

    Sounds like it uses the colour you chose when you got Dragon.
    This is correct, we felt it would be somewhat awkward for Elders to be able to go to any lair.
    I chose silver when I turned dragon, but at some point my primary color got changed somehow, I issued once about it but never followed up because it didn't affect anything. Am I stuck with the gold dragons forever now?
  • UtianimaUtianima Norway and AustriaPosts: 257Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Accipiter said:
    Ictinus said:
    Antonius said:
    Mathilda said:
    How's this work for Elder Dragons?
    "Dragons lairs act as something of a cross between a club house and a sanctuary for those of a specific (and primary) dragon colour."

    Sounds like it uses the colour you chose when you got Dragon.
    This is correct, we felt it would be somewhat awkward for Elders to be able to go to any lair.
    I chose silver when I turned dragon, but at some point my primary color got changed somehow, I issued once about it but never followed up because it didn't affect anything. Am I stuck with the gold dragons forever now?
    Yes - golden4lyfe!

  • DraekarDraekar Posts: 289Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Tesha said:
    Nice work @Ictinus, I think this is really cool! I'm sincerely grateful that it's free content and not a talisman set that grants access or promotional content or anything like that. Truthfully, this is the sort of content that makes me want to start my elite back up again. Well done!
    This

    I really like the idea of them being themed by colour, not sure it will make any sense in the priority of natural RP groupings I'd have icly but looking forward to seeing how that plays out.
    UtianimaSiduriAntidas
  • PenwizePenwize Posts: 1,424Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Nicola said:
    It's created with continuity for all character ages in mind, but this would be a great chance for players who were not present for the kidnapping spree to connect with those who were to find out more.
    So, there's a chance I'm just being too purist here and I accept that, or that I've missed something obvious, but I really have to say this part isn't true for me.  As someone who as never alted, and who doesn't spend much time helping newbies through their intro quests, I have roughly zero knowledge of the new intro quest line, or any of the denizens involved aside from what is said on CT when someone finishes it.  So, I'm approaching this with only the denizen say on CT (who it seems you can't WALK TO), and the announce post worth of knowledge.

    I logged on expecting to see maybe something to point me in the direction of this awesome new content, but after asking it's ... all metagaming. I figured hey, maybe I'm missing something obvious, so I ask for a hint.  I'm told I should ask a newbie, or that I should go to the denizen that talks on CT.  Those are both metagamey actions, driven by metagamey decisions. If I needed to ask a newbie for information about the story after starting it, because there were details an older player wouldn't know, that'd be one thing (and something interesting, I imagine).  But to not even be able to start it without making a leap using OOC knowledge is just uncomfortable.

    In contrast, when something like elemental lords hit, we had pleeeeenty of IC reason to seek it out and plenty of hints IC on where to go, or that there was somewhere to go and you should ask someone who knew more.

    Just ... I don't know, something, anything that tells older dragons IC that maybe they should go do something would be great here.  Announce posts aren't supposed to be IC, and without any prior knowledge of new newbie stuff due to not alting there's really 0 indicator of where to go and what to do to check this stuff out.
    Zbaco
  • NickNick Posts: 6Member
    Penwize said:
    So, there's a chance I'm just being too purist here and I accept that, or that I've missed something obvious
    You've missed something obvious.

    Have you never read AMBLOG? For years it has been saying,
    "Newbie returns to the village a hero, having solved the Cultist's Conspiracy in the Great Rock!"

    every time your city denizen talks on CT.

  • NicolaNicola Posts: 729Administrator Achaean staff
    For any of the big events, someone who wasn't logged in when it kicked off would go and speak to someone who was to find out pertinent information. What happened, who do we talk to, what can we do. There are daily prompts about all of these things to all city channels in regards to this 100% optional questline. Also, every one of these gathering places is a landmark designed to help newbies get to them easily.

    I think in this case beginning progression will just take a little bit of general engagement with the organisation you're playing in. If you don't give a roleplay toff for the kidnapping and conspiracy surrounding your organisation's new players then I think we can't help you.
    DupreMinifie
  • PenwizePenwize Posts: 1,424Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Nicola said:

    If you don't give a roleplay toff for the kidnapping and conspiracy surrounding your organisation's new players then I think we can't help you.

    I think my objection to this is that we haven't been given a reason (or as far as I was told, mechanical capacity) to get involved with that prior to this.  The only prompt that anything has changed in that regard is an announce post, which is not IC.  Well, that and now everyone else doing it, but they gained that information via metagaming too so....

    Unless this is a flag to start taking announce posts as IC?
    Shirszae
  • MinifieMinifie Posts: 2,089Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I was dormant for the whole thing, saw the announce, will probably talk to viceroy/tyrannus/some people in the House about what happened. The thing is all things from announce posts would be “metagaming”, but I’ve always considered announce posts sort of like a divine inspiration to urge you to discover more or ignore it. I mean, we ask people in market channel to buy us globes for credits... you have to indulge in a level of meta to complete those transactions since market is IC (at least it should be since it can knuckle our credibility).


    (Mhaldor's Next Top Model): Taryius says, "Oops, thats not a foray. Thats two novices going at it in the wilderness."
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo DomingoPosts: 3,071Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    In the case of promotions it cannot be helped. In the case of this quest things could admittedly be better in that regard...

    And you won't understand the cause of your grief...


    ...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

«13456
Sign In to Comment.