Discussion of transparency

As requested, moving this to somewhere more appropriate.

Ahmet said:
@Zahan The problem is though, the more prevalent those precise numbers are, the more canon they become, and the more likely people are to use them in-character. I'm not saying that's okay, but it happens far too often as-is. That doesn't need to become more prevalent.

As well, to go along with @Makarios' points:

You're wrong when you say the availability of that information doesn't take away from people who don't want to utilise it. The availability of the information further disadvantages those who don't have the time, experience, or knowledge to use that information to its fullest potential. It's all well and good to say that they don't need to bother with it, but by not bothering they're immediately less effective than those who have access to the numbers. Some immersion breaks (item/denizen ids, room numbers) are absolutely necessary for basic functionality. Achaea hasn't ever been friendly to those who try to min/max. As you said, there are other MUDs that fill that niche. If you want that, Achaea isn't the place for you.

As far as immersion goes, I'm a huge proponent of mmos, and I've tried so many I probably can't remember them all. None have come anywhere close to Achaea. The sheer depth that a text game allows for just can't be replicated in a 3d environment, even with the cutting edge of today's technology. It's just not feasible, especially when it comes to user-generated content.

I understand what you're wanting, and I can't say I'd be too unhappy about it, but there are consequences that would come along with such transparency, and I really don't think the end result would be healthy for Achaea overall. And since you mentioned our local whales as an argument in your favour, I'm fairly certain that some, if not most, of the biggest monetary contributors to Achaea, are strong opponents of such transparency.

ETA: Oops. Started ranting before Mak posted. Time to run away.

I'm not hearing people ask for complete transparency, or for things to be made easier.  I'm hearing mostly people asking they not take away stuff that's been around longer than the people taking it away.  Unlike the opposition, they aren't opposed to you having things your way too.

I disagree about being disadvantaged.  It's a pretty weak argument to me but then again my best achaean friend has played for 15 years as an occultist.  In that 15 years, he's never once attacked another player and his only shining achievement is hunting his way to dragon.  He had never joined the guild or house of occies, he just liked being an occie.  He liked it, despite knowing full and well the entire time that occie is a pvp-based class that (until recently) lacked basic hunting utility or even a decent damage attack.  He doesn't use 95% of the skills he has, and he accepts that he is sacrificing utility and benefits.  Again, he likes being an occultist.  Those people haven't been, and won't be, affected by any dps meter.  They are roleplayers and they roleplay.

Also, the information you mention being breaking of immersion to you, is still available.  They didn't do anything to stop that, all they did was make it annoying for the people who do that.

Others in the quick questions thread made some amazing points about viewing the numbers as part of the roleplay.  I've been playing achaea so damn long that my health number is my health, it's part of my roleplay.  If I had a falcon, and had been looking at his health number for the past 19 years also, I'd be really crushed that MY immersion was being ruined to no real end.

Luckily for me, most of the numbers I like seeing are still there for me (because I don't have a falcon), but as I mentioned, it's the mindset that scares me.  The day I log in and cannot see my exact hp number (which i use to create immersion for myself via a constant reminder if i'm in dragonmode or not) turned off and made into a percentage I can't change back, is the last day I log into achaea.

For me, there are only a few things like that, but for others it may extend beyond simple things like health and mana and weapon stats.

About the whales: almost nobody out there would buy a $300 artefact if all they knew about it was "it makes you recover faster by an amount so small you actually won't really notice it most of the time" or "this sword is stronger but not so much stronger that you'll need less hits to kill the mobs you always hunt."  We get real information and we use that to justify purchases that often times don't really have an affect, even if it's not realized.

Click here for Nexus packages
Currently available: Abs, Cnote, Keepalive, Lootpet, Mapmod

Comments

• If transparency was such an enormously huge factor in playing a text game, Imp and Aet would have much larger populations
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Zahan said:
    I've been playing achaea so damn long that my health number is my health, it's part of my roleplay.  If I had a falcon, and had been looking at his health number for the past 19 years also, I'd be really crushed that MY immersion was being ruined to no real end.
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't see any reason health numbers should be at all considered IC? Same goes for your stats, or your willpower, or anything along those lines, really. If you can't justify that number as your character, there's no reason for it to be in-character.
    Huh. Neat.
  • You have to have people to get people.  Achaea is incredibly more forgiving of hiccups and mistakes, and even things that might be downright annoying to a lot of people because it's BIGGER.  Our guys who left weren't going "oh man, Achaea is such a better game".  In fact, they were saying "ugh, I like the way our game is set up WAY better, but Achaea has more PEOPLE".  For the most part, all of the games are at the very least "pretty good", but if you think Achaea is getting people just because everyone thinks it's the best game intrinsically, that's wrong.  Really, really wrong.  

That said, ship has sailed sailed sailed... and while sometimes I will say "you can get the admin to reconsider eventually if you hammer away at it enough", I think their stance on this one is that it's part of their actual vision for this game.  So good luck with that.  
  • ZahanZahan Valhalla
    I didn't start this topic to change back falcon health.  I would only care for it to be reversed because I sympathize with people who have been using their falcon hp as part of their immersion as I've done with my health for so many years.  As I stated, the numbers I like are still there, and it's still possible to get as-accurate dps meters if I really wanted to (hint: i don't).  I just started this topic to allow people to respond without upsetting mak in the quick questions thread.

But I do have a lingering fear that they will change more stuff like that because of the stated mindset.  Fears like that make it harder to be as devoted to contributing to the realm as I could be.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Ahmet said:
    Zahan said:
    I've been playing achaea so damn long that my health number is my health, it's part of my roleplay.  If I had a falcon, and had been looking at his health number for the past 19 years also, I'd be really crushed that MY immersion was being ruined to no real end.
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't see any reason health numbers should be at all considered IC? Same goes for your stats, or your willpower, or anything along those lines, really. If you can't justify that number as your character, there's no reason for it to be in-character.
    Comparing numbers to general health is hard. We don't die irl when our health reaches 0. So the concept of having 200 hp IC is not far fetched for the game. The quantification of it used ICly is fine in my opinion, for roleplays sake and for ease of enjoying the game.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • edited October 2016
    I am pretty much an Achaea fanatic, though I realistically doubt too many people know or care about what I do here -- and that's fine. But, the point I'd like to put forward is that "immersion" is not the opinion of one Achaean body but three, because Achaea can more or less divided into people that are here solely for RP, those are here primarily for PK, and the third group of people that enjoy both.

I don't claim to speak for the whole body of Achaea, but from the perspective of a non-comm that can't survive 10 seconds against seasoned combatants, for a guy like me, immersion is almost everything and if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be here and my fellow non-comms probably would bail too. PK to me is like trying to speak Swahili. People who do both PK and RP might lean either way, and I suspect the really hardcore PKers would be the ones who want the numbers, not for some nefarious reasons but rather because the way they enjoy Achaea deals with numbers and the extreme complexities of Achaean combat.

There IS definitely some stuff floating around about Achaea veterans I know being worried about Achaea going from an RP game to a text-based MMORPG. In Achaea I think I can safely say I have the influence of a dead rat in the basement, but I have definitely heard this and not just from one person, either. I am not saying you guys should treat the game like I would want it to be treated, (I don't have much arrogance or a sense of entitlement,) I am simply asking you to consider the whole body of players and the various needs and wants of those groups, because the Garden has to consider the whole population's needs, and it simply can't always be what an individual or a small body of individuals wants it to be.

• One of the biggest problems I had with hidden stuff in ye olden days, was that I do think that some people DID have a lot of those hidden numbers, or at least a good approximation of them.  And this was at a time when the average Achaean player had... I don't know, how ever many hours a 15 year old person has, to play, and I had... what someone with a full-time job and then some has.  And it was my first online game EVER.  I also knew WAY less math (and I still don't know THAT much math).  So all of this information that I really needed to even start to try to think about the game was hidden.  Truly hidden.  BUT (I think), a select few had it.  Grr. 

I think the philosophy is different now in an important way (but I am not truly sure).  Now, I think the idea might be less "we're going to actively hide the basic nature of something, muahaha", and more "we don't really want people having incredibly fine grained numbers".  That is a far less objectionable goal. 
  • ZahanZahan Valhalla
    @silvarien I love what you said.  Going to go back and give it an awesome vote.

Your point is precisely my confusion.  Achaea is tiny, various people play it, and they like it for drastically different reasons.  I wish achaea was large enough to afford alienating part of their existing playerbase, it just doesn't feel that big to me.  I would support the decision to allow every number in the game as a percentage, or even a descriptive word.  That doesn't take anything away from anyone else's gameplay, and who doesn't appreciate more options (even if you don't use them).  

It would be one thing if it's a movement to gain new players but I'd just about bet my entire character's gold on that removing people's option to see their falcon's health number didn't net them a single new player.  Nor would any other similar change.  It could have been made to be configurable.

I'm seeing that it was just a move to hurt people - to take something away from people - and it didn't stop the majority of the concern I'm hearing expressed (mostly being that dps meters influence weak-minded people to flipflop classes while the administration balance things out) other than "i don't want to see a number."

As far as seeing numbers in channels, if someone is as serious of a roleplayer that they'd claim to be offended by this, it seems they could spend even less effort justifying that into their immersion.  Such as with innersight allowing people to see the tenths of their exp, some people can just as easily be viewed as gifted or having a different insight.  

I welcome new ways to view and experience the world, and actually now I have a better appreciation of another style of immersion so I won't be mentioning raw health numbers outside of private communications anymore.  I just hope that was the last type of change like that they plan on doing for a while and as they continue down that road, they consider everyone's individual joy and allow stuff like that to be configurable if they do have the thought to remove it.

• edited October 2016
    Zahan said:
    Luckily for me, most of the numbers I like seeing are still there for me (because I don't have a falcon), but as I mentioned, it's the mindset that scares me.  The day I log in and cannot see my exact hp number (which i use to create immersion for myself via a constant reminder if i'm in dragonmode or not) turned off and made into a percentage I can't change back, is the last day I log into achaea.
    Stuff like health is critical gameplay information and turning it into percentages just obfuscates too much vital information. Knowing the health percentage alone really isn't that valuable because health is so variable. An attack does 25% damage. Was that 25% of 4000? 5000? 8000? Knowing how much damage an attack actually does is vital.

Stuff like "This attack is exactly 2.03 seconds" and "This profession does 46.5 bashing dps" isn't that important to the game and they come in a completely different context. The people who are making arguments along the lines of "YOU CAN SEE YOUR EXACT HEALTH SO YOU ALREADY HAVE EXACT NUMBERS SO NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THEM" are basically just being intentionally dense; the context is entirely different and that should be obvious to anybody who thinks about it.
  • @Aerek: basically right, yes. Noone is saying "all numbers are bad", and if that's how it was interpretted there's clearly a communication issue on our (my?) part. But we draw a very fine line at necessary and unnecessary, and that's been Achaea's administrations policy for a considerable length of time, and will almost certainly remain policy going forward. There's a very clear distinction between critical and noncritical information when it comes to underlying values.
  • I personally think Aerek ended this thread. He hit everything I would have said. 
    As a player that likes some RP with his PK. Or vice versa. 
    Omor Ceberek - Targossas

got gud
  • Aerek said:

Mind you, I don't agree with most of Zahan's positions, (or his attitude) but this is not a zero-sum debate. Achaea is a game that runs on numbers, and so to a point we have to be able to discuss those numbers IC, otherwise any combat discussion whatsoever has to be considered OOC, and that doesn't really make sense either. Health, mana, stats, essence, limb damage, balance times, these are all just basic game mechanics that can only be communicated clearly with numbers, so some suspension of disbelief is required.

Off topic/not related but could you like go to every other IRE game's forums and post that please and thank you.
  • People are saying that having real bashing dps info(like you could gather in the past) would make it easier to abuse, but I fail to see how min/maxing bashing is anywhere near as harmful to the game as it might be in Imperian/Aetolia. Having a cap on bashing gold gains mitigate the economic harm that a min/maxed basher is going to have. It also helps that the admin has done a lot to normalize bashing dps among classes. If people were trying to find out which class is optimal for bashing, that sort of info is pretty easy to figure out even without access to any mob health info anyway.
  • To be honest, I'd like to be able to see the raw numbers when I slash a mob with whatever attack. Warp, drawslash, whatever. But that's just because I like seeing an increase(or decrease, cos bugs!) in my damage. Sometimes that can be hard to see with percentages because of rounding and such. But, if @Makarios doesn't wanna do it, I'm certainly not gonna start dropping wild accusations and shit.

• ZahanZahan Valhalla
    Nazihk said:
    Zahan said:
    Stuff like health is critical gameplay information and turning it into percentages just obfuscates too much vital information. Knowing the health percentage alone really isn't that valuable because health is so variable. An attack does 25% damage. Was that 25% of 4000? 5000? 8000? Knowing how much damage an attack actually does is vital.

Stuff like "This attack is exactly 2.03 seconds" and "This profession does 46.5 bashing dps" isn't that important to the game and they come in a completely different context. The people who are making arguments along the lines of "YOU CAN SEE YOUR EXACT HEALTH SO YOU ALREADY HAVE EXACT NUMBERS SO NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THEM" are basically just being intentionally dense; the context is entirely different and that should be obvious to anybody who thinks about it.

I actually do agree with you.  I was disappointed when I checked AB to see equilibrium recovery.  I personally like knowing how long it takes to recover from stuff, so I coded up a little script that displays that when I recover, but it was a very dark colour that I had to look for.  In the AB, on it's own line, in bright white, is shoving that stuff in people's face.  It's the same with the decision to redesign many of the files and add immersion-breaking symbols everywhere.

I hope that that's right and they do never hide what most people view as critical numbers behind obscure masking.  You must consider that it is relative, though.  For some, they already have.  It might be argued that you don't need to see your exact willpower because you have so much of it and abilities use so little of it.  A rough approximation of % would be sufficient.  I actually wouldn't mind that.

Would it bother you if you couldn't see your exact willpower?  Would you mind if your endurance was changed to a relative phrase like hunger, such as "You are exhausted and about to collapse." and if you do something else, you faint?  I think that would be cool, and I'd even turn it on for a bit.  

I wouldn't wish them to completely remove the ability to see that number that, again, has been a part of immersion for a good enough number of players, though.

• Typed out an eloquent comment but lost it cause mobile site doesn't save drafts. Rip...

$100 is a ton of money to pay on a virtual item. It may not be for everybody, but that's a sizable majority of my disposable income for any given paycheck. If I spent that on a flail and went to the arena, I could very easily see its value, and I could very simply quantify it and determine if it was worth it for me to buy the L2. With my weapon being a rapier and my focus being bashing atm, the closest information I can get on its actual value to me in game is some minor increase in jab speed(which I can't confirm until prompt time is fixed) and a damage difference that is so small it is undetectable on a rat that I hit for 68% damage per jab.

I'm willing to buy the L2 eventually if I can prove to myself that it would have some measurable impact on my crawl to dragon, but at this point the only reliable information I know about rapier damage is that a 1/1/1 rapier does MORE damage than an L1 rapier, so forgive me for holding off on that purchase for now...

(Also, just to toss this out there, I don't even need access to raw numbers for the limited comparisons. Adding a single decimal of precision to mob hp% similar to Vision Innerfocus would give me enough info to know if it was worth getting, or if I should dodge it and save for STR gloves)
  • Vessil said:
    (Also, just to toss this out there, I don't even need access to raw numbers for the limited comparisons. Adding a single decimal of precision to mob hp% similar to Vision Innerfocus would give me enough info to know if it was worth getting, or if I should dodge it and save for STR gloves)
    I don't have time right now to type up a proper post on this topic, but I'd like to say I would be 100% happy with this compromise. I'd even pay a few hundred credits or a few mayan crowns for an artefact (or give up the slot for a major trait) that gives the extra precision.
  • Zahan said:

Would it bother you if you couldn't see your exact willpower?  Would you mind if your endurance was changed to a relative phrase like hunger, such as "You are exhausted and about to collapse." and if you do something else, you faint?  I think that would be cool, and I'd even turn it on for a bit.  

I wouldn't wish them to completely remove the ability to see that number that, again, has been a part of immersion for a good enough number of players, though.
    I think that endurance and willpower are similar to health and mana, in the way that it's satisfying to watch the numbers increase as you go up. Seeing the increase gives people a clear indicator of how they are advancing. They know they have twice as much health as they used to have, etc, etc.

Percentages miss a lot of that because seeing raw percentages doesn't give you that sensation of growth and so they do not serve as a good marker of progression.
  • Nazihk said:
    Zahan said:

I think that mob damage is similar to health and mana, in the way that it's satisfying to watch the numbers increase as you go up. Seeing the increase gives people a clear indicator of how they are advancing. They know they have 5% more jab damage than they used to have, etc, etc.

Percentages miss a lot of that because seeing raw percentages doesn't give you that sensation of growth and so they do not serve as a good marker of progression(or artefact effectiveness).
  • edited October 2016
    Zahan said:

I hope that that's right and they do never hide what most people view as critical numbers behind obscure masking.  You must consider that it is relative, though.  For some, they already have.  It might be argued that you don't need to see your exact willpower because you have so much of it and abilities use so little of it.  A rough approximation of % would be sufficient.  I actually wouldn't mind that.

You can do this already. CONFIG PROMPT TEXT.

Anyway, it is the hallmark of a good player to be able to ignore things that bother them. Generally, only stuffy and uptight people complain about such petty things as "numbers break my immersion" and "this person said something I think is out-of-character." These are the kinds of people that think the world has to absolutely conform to the way they want it to conform and get upset whenever someone does or thinks something they don't like. Achaea has players of every type; some like numbers, some don't, and that's okay. But trying to make the world conform to what people don't like instead of what people do like is bad practice and makes everyone unhappy.

It also seems like some people think that if accurate numbers are made available, other people will use those numbers to be better than the ones that don't use the numbers, and that's "unfair." (Which, in my book, is about as silly as complaining about people who spend money on artifacts.)
  • I think it's more fair to say that it's a hallmark of a good player to adjust and adapt rather than ignore things. 
  • Viho said:
    I think it's more fair to say that it's a hallmark of a good player to adjust and adapt rather than ignore things. 
    Certainly. The players of Achaea should be able to adjust and adapt to having more numbers to work with!
  • edited October 2016
    Adeleine said:
    Viho said:
    I think it's more fair to say that it's a hallmark of a good player to adjust and adapt rather than ignore things. 
    Certainly. The players of Achaea should be able to adjust and adapt to having more numbers to work with!
    Or you can adjust and adapt to not having them.

Also, @Adeleine, while I always enjoy a healthy debate over a controversial issue, what I don't enjoy is the casual ease with which you throw insults at anyone who may disagree with you. Insults such as people being "idiots" for caring about bashing DPS increases compared to the "intelligent" people who don't, calling people who dislike having every number exposed bare "prissy grognards who failed math class", and now both that people not ignoring something that bothers them makes then not "a good player" and that only "stuffy and uptight people" weigh in on an issue that is so petty you've devoted quite a few passionate arguments on the other side of that same issue. Cut out the insults and innuendo.

Finally, @Sena, I'm the one who did the classlead for innersight or whatever to give better denizen HP percentages, and was shot down because apparently there's a Shop of Wonders artefact that already does this. I've looked for it both in the current listing and in the retired items list, but can't find it. Haven't been able to find it in the news yet, either, though I haven't tried that hard yet. But supposedly it does in fact exist.
  • edited October 2016
    Tydas said:

@Adeleine, while I always enjoy a healthy debate over a controversial issue, what I don't enjoy is the casual ease with which you throw insults at anyone who may disagree with you. Insults such as people being "idiots" for caring about bashing DPS increases compared to the "intelligent" people who don't, calling people who dislike having every number exposed bare "prissy grognards who failed math class", and now both that people not ignoring something that bothers them makes then not "a good player" and that only "stuffy and uptight people" weigh in on an issue that is so petty you've devoted quite a few passionate arguments on the other side of that same issue. Cut out the insults and innuendo.

If you aren't able to handle a few sweeping generalizations and facetious hyperbole, I don't think there's anything I can say to you that you won't get offended at. (。◕◡◕。✿)
  • Tydas said:
    Finally, @Sena, I'm the one who did the classlead for innersight or whatever to give better denizen HP percentages, and was shot down because apparently there's a Shop of Wonders artefact that already does this. I've looked for it both in the current listing and in the retired items list, but can't find it. Haven't been able to find it in the news yet, either, though I haven't tried that hard yet. But supposedly it does in fact exist.
    I'm about 99.5% certain that an item like that has never been available. The only thing I can remember (and I also did some searching to try and find anything I might have missed/forgotten) that was at all related to denizen health displays was the ornate magnifying glass, which let you get an idea of denizen health (but with even less precision than the current percentages), and that was removed when the current health percentage displays were implemented.
  • Sena said:
    Tydas said:
    I'm about 99.5% certain that an item like that has never been available. The only thing I can remember (and I also did some searching to try and find anything I might have missed/forgotten) that was at all related to denizen health displays was the ornate magnifying glass, which let you get an idea of denizen health (but with even less precision than the current percentages), and that was removed when the current health percentage displays were implemented.
    See, that's what I thought. Classlead 84 is the one I made - @Makarios, care to comment?
  • It used to exist, actually.

It was a magnifying glass or something, I remember it being used by some Eleusians (possibly Yae?) during the Reckoning.  It was changed with the coming of Battlerage though, and now you can see enemy health %s by simply looking at the enemy.
  • edited October 2016
    Frederich said:
    It was changed with the coming of Battlerage though, and now you can see enemy health %s by simply looking at the enemy.
    I'm quite sure percentages on looking were around before battlerage.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

• The percentages (and the removal of the magnifying glass) came almost a year before battlerage. And the magnifying glass didn't give health percentages at all, it gave text descriptions like "Through the glass, you see his condition is sorely beaten." that corresponded to specific health ranges, so it was less precise than what we have now.