Starmourn!!!

Comments

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Weekly newsletters sounds nice.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    @Sarapis -- the page for the Shen has an incomplete section...

What are their primary industries? Although like any modern economy, theirs is complex and multi-faceted, the Shen are particularly known for their interest in real estate and transportation. They particularly favor real estate in high-end resort areas, and on a few leisure planets they've snapped up virtually every single kilometer of shoreline. Their transportation

Didn't finish the transportation part.

What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

This new race sounds cool! The business aspect will appeal to a lot of players. The aetherscapes form of entertainment they enjoy seems really interesting, too. Can't wait to see what that's like in the game and how they are produced, like maybe with a skill, or if it's just pure rp.

• edited May 2016
    Kayeil said:
    @Sarapis -- the page for the Shen has an incomplete section...

What are their primary industries? Although like any modern economy, theirs is complex and multi-faceted, the Shen are particularly known for their interest in real estate and transportation. They particularly favor real estate in high-end resort areas, and on a few leisure planets they've snapped up virtually every single kilometer of shoreline. Their transportation

Didn't finish the transportation part.

Gah, thanks! Fixed.
  • So can you guys like go forward in time, take the completed Starmourn, come back in time and release it today? Pls.  :)
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    Ooooh! Updated website!

• KasyaKasya Tennessee
    edited May 2016
    Hello folks!

I've got two pieces of news for you today:

1. First, Starmourn has a new, prettier website that I personally designed. Hope you like it! http://www.starmourn.com

2. What's kith? What's an Empyreal? Where did they come from? The only place to find out is right here:
    http://starmourn.com/what-is-kith/

After you've read that, you'll understand that Starmourn is not a hard sci-fi game. There's certainly a place for those but ultimately we believe the gamers most likely to play a new sci-fi text MUD are going to be looking for for a universe more along the lines of space opera-style sci-fi.

There's no single definition of space opera, but I tend to think of it as sci-fi that trends towards the epic and expansive, tends to be full of action, and has lots of alien species, empires, fantastic technology, and so on. We're influenced here by everything from Dune to Mass Effect to Star Wars to Asimov's Foundation trilogy, Dan Simmon's Hyperion Cantos, Dune, Firefly, Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga, and much, much more. 

That's it for now! 

Best,
    Matt Mihály
    CEO, Iron Realms Entertainment

So, so excited to hear you're going with the space opera style. I think it's more inclusive and dam this all looks so promising.

Also, finally figured out how to get away from being trapped in quotes.
  • I see I included Dune twice. I'm going to chalk that up to Dune being awesome.
  • *geeks out* Oh man, firefly, Dune, oh man. 
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    I HAVE NO IDEA HOW I OVERLOOKED THIS FOR SO LONG BUT OH MY GOD I AM SO EXCITED AAAHHH
    Also,
    SPACE TRITONS

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    edited May 2016
    Alsooo can we please talk about how there's a firefly class transport in this trailer???

(I'm a leaf on the wind)

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    @Sarapis - the Nexus client is going to work with Starmourn, right?
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Kasya said:
    Yes!
  • KasyaKasya Tennessee
    @Tecton I love you. 
  • Tecton said:
    Kasya said:
    Yes!
    Chromebook users rejoice.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    An interesting twist on the force. I like the contrast between radiation and compression. 
    Hello Starmourners!

This week comes without an update to the website because, frankly, I'm on vacation and I'm the one that's doing the website updating. I promised you roughly weekly updates though, so that's what you're going to get.

Let's talk about ships a little in Starmourn. Just a little though!

1. Are there starships in Starmourn?
    Yes. Yes there are.

2. Can I pilot a starship in Starmourn?
    Yes, and not just you either! Ships in Starmourn are going to be accessible and easily obtainable by players very early on in their characters' lives.

3. Can I blow up other starships in Starmourn?
    You've just single-handedly disproved the idea that there are no dumb questions. Of course you can blow up other ships. If the highest purpose of an apple is to be eaten, and the highest purpose of a MUD is to be awesome, then surely you understand that the highest purpose of a starship is to make other starships all explode-y.

4. What if I feel bad for the other starships and don't want to turn them into space confetti?
    First, I applaud your pacifism and compassion, and look forward to blowing you up many times while you dither around mired in internal moral dilemmas. Second, no, you don't HAVE to blow up other starships. It seems like it'd be a shame not to but if you insist, you could just use yours for transport of people (such as your fine self) or goods.

5. Can starships travel faster than light?
    No. In fact, your starship can't even get close to the speed of light. Virtually all civilizations that develop interstellar travel try it, and it always ends the same: with them discovering that the energy required to shield a ship going any large fraction of the speed of light from the loose atoms found here and there in space - any one of which would rip a hole right through the toughest physical materials we know of - is so large as to be impossible on a practical level.

6. Does that mean it'll take real-life years to cross the vast distances between star systems?
    No! That'd be one boring MUD. Beyond that though, ships in Starmourn are powered by what are called 'skipdrives'. Essentially, it's possible to open short-distance wormholes fairly cheaply, though the cost of opening them rises exponentially the further apart they are and the larger they are. So, what starships do is use a combination of 'linear drives' that push them through analog space the way you'd expect, along with skipdrives that open a very fast series of wormholes a short distance in front of the ship, dramatically cutting down the time it takes for the ship to get from point A in analog space to point B in analog space. They're called skipdrives because the effect is somewhat akin to skipping a stone across a lake.

Skipdrive tech is not the only way to get around Starmourn Sector, and is not really that suitable for really long distance travel, but luckily, it's not the only option. You'll have to wait to hear more on that though.

7. Will ships require multiple players to pilot?
    Nope. You can, of course, bring other players with you, but there will be no combat advantage to having multiple players on a ship. Of course, there will be combat advantages to having multiple people piloting multiple ships in a group....

And that's it for this week. I trust you have been suitably teased, but if not feel free to reply to this address and futilely beg for more info. Emphasis on futilely.

Talk to you all soon!

Best,

Matt Mihaly
    CEO, Iron Realms Entertainment

• speaking of starships... If people get to craft the starships, do they go through crafting approval process or something else? just curious about that one bit..

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • SzanthaxSzanthax San Diego
    edited June 2016
    This sounds like achaea seafaring v3.2

I mean that in a good way...

• Who's doing the artwork for Starmourn?
  • It'd be cool if player orgs can construct hyperspace gates to other systems that they are trying to colonize.

It would be expensive to build and would give enemy orgs an incentive to skirmish in those systems in an attempt to destroy those gates. >_>
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Lucianus said:
    It'd be cool if player orgs can construct hyperspace gates to other systems that they are trying to colonize.

It would be expensive to build and would give enemy orgs an incentive to skirmish in those systems in an attempt to destroy those gates. >_>
    Org exclusive items that give an convenient perk and are hard to destroy thus providing an involved point of conflict...sounds like icons!
  • Vayne said:
    Lucianus said:
    It'd be cool if player orgs can construct hyperspace gates to other systems that they are trying to colonize.

Org exclusive items that give an convenient perk and are hard to destroy thus providing an involved point of conflict...sounds like icons!

More like... Aetherflares in Lusty since it'd be ship-oriented combat. Squadron vs Squadron, etc.
    That is not an ordinary star, my son. That star is the tear of a warrior. A lost soul who has finished his battles somewhere on this planet. A pitiful soul who could not find his way to the lofty realm where the great spirit awaits us all.
  • What are you gonna call your spaceship? Something classic like Serenity, Millennium Falcon, Heart of Gold? Or something more original like Quietude, Thousand Year Eagle, or Diamond in the Rough?
  • Skip drives?  Cool.  Very Old Man's War.  Though it sounds like they're going the wormhole route rather than the "quantum multiple universe shenanigans" route.
  • What are you gonna call your spaceship? Something classic like Serenity, Millennium Falcon, Heart of Gold? Or something more original like Quietude, Thousand Year Eagle, or Diamond in the Rough?
    "Boldly Go."
  • A terrorist space organization would be cool, keeping up with the times.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Space terrorism would be pretty fucked. Never mind sneaking bombs onto spaceships, just toss a few buckets of paperclips out the airlock - or spray a liquid that will freeze into solid droplets - and you'll fill low earth orbit with enough high-velocity debris that anything trying to leave the planet in the near future will be sand-blasted to bits. Every disintegrated satellite will add to the cloud of space junk. Then claim it's symbolic of God not wanting man to fly, or the need to forgive student loan debts before we can pursue the future, or whatever devilish ideology you're representing.
    Milano IV.