Itinerant Bazaar #1-4 April-May 2016

Comments

• The base of this antiquated mirror is made entirely of a dark, age-worn iron that has been artfully 
    crafted in an ornately elegant design. Two thick and sturdy metallic legs jut out from the back of 
    this intricate frame to provide a foundation and balance for the heavy structure. The most curious 
    and alluring feature of this heirloom, however, is the ovular mirror securely fastened to its iron 
    base. A perfectly smooth surface ripples ever so subtly with arcane potential from beneath a border 
    of jade jewels, reflecting its perspective for all to see.

As you reach out and touch an antique standing mirror, the image reflected begins to fade away in 
    wispy tendrils of white smoke, until nothing definitive can be seen through the fog.
    8415h, 8090m, 37850e, 33023w cexdb-
    As the entrancing swirl of mist begins to take form, you begin to see the semblance of the Central 
    Wilderness take shape.
    8415h, 8090m, 37850e, 33035w cexdb-
    Suddenly, the perspective of the glass dives in closer to show "Inside the World Tree."
    Kelath, keeper of the beasts shouts, "Thank you for the warm reception, my friend. I hope you 
    enjoyed your time shopping with us, and we'll see you at the next bazaar opening! Bring enough gold 
    to buy ten yaks."
    The mist finally dissipates entirely to reveal a crisp view of the surrounding area:
    Thick walls of living wood form a cavernous hollow within Yggdrasil, the World Tree. The whorls and 
    grooves of the surrounding grain produce a complex pattern, and tracing any one line for too long 
    simply stymies the eye. Verdant leaves from creeping vines grow in lush profusion, climbing their 
    way up the interior of the tree. Glyphs adorn the ground, forming a large circle broken only by 
    thick roots that plunge down into the earth below. The flickering flame at the centre of the hollow 
    casts dark, unsettling shadows throughout the echoing space, and furtive, scurrying creatures 
    chitter and rustle uncertainly high above.
    The area is devoid of any adventurers.
    You give a horrified gasp.
    The surface of an antique standing mirror ripples gently as the scene fades away, to be replaced by 
    a proper reflection of the surrounding room.

• HalosHalos The Reaches
    Kez said:
    I forced myself to stay awake all night for this. Girls and accessories, right?
    Yes.

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • Kayeil said:

@Adrak -- sorry not selling. :( I have an enormous mount collection so I spent about 300k on tickets just to get it.
    I spent... 760k... Dairon spent 800k...

Mycen won it with 6 tickets. Damn RNG.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Anyone have a description of the willow vial? Also, does it have any special reactions?
  • This odd, angular vial is formed naturally from a sturdy branch of a grand willow tree; umber-hued bark is whittled away at certain spots, revealing a wooden core of pale gold that depicts numerous rising suns with simple interlacing motifs. The craggy exterior of the container flakes away at the slightest touch, providing an stark contrast in texture between the smooth, lacquered surface of the spherical patterns and the natural existence of tree bark.
  • KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Bazaar #3 had:

a striking statue of Lucaine Pyramides
    a rich olivewood vial  
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Fuck. I NEED THESE STATUES.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Can't believe I missed the statue of Lucaine :(

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• buying a lucaine statue for @Shirszae
  • I missed the 1st statue, I may have to track one down

• Got to admit, really really -really- hating the concept behind these bazaars. What are they lasting for, 1 hour? So you have to either be there at this time, dropping whatever you have, or miss out bish.

Remove the damn 4 separate times, make 2 or even 1, and keep them for a day, seriously.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    edited April 2016
    They run out of stock too fast for that. They used to only have one bazaar, and it didn't restock, so the four times is their solution to people not being able to attend because of timezones.

I don't like the new raffle though. Go back to original 1-stock, please.

EDIT: Also, if anyone picked up a statue of Lucaine or two at the third bazaar and doesn't want to keep it, lemme know.
    Huh. Neat.
  • Asmodron said:
    Got to admit, really really -really- hating the concept behind these bazaars. What are they lasting for, 1 hour? So you have to either be there at this time, dropping whatever you have, or miss out bish.

Remove the damn 4 separate times, make 2 or even 1, and keep them for a day, seriously.
    It use to be that they came with MAYBE warning on the news posts outside of events like the 50-year games and happened once or maybe twice. Now we have them on UPCOMING, the most of the items are the same (so you can pick up stuff you missed last time with a few exceptions), and it's spread out so that if you missed one you can hit the others. They even made it so there is a time delay between purchases and that you can only buy one at a time, so people don't buy out items to sell in shops in the first thirty seconds.

If you miss out on fun special event in Achaea, well that's nothing new with all of the awesome RP events, games, and time-based activities that RL stops you from participating in. Expanding it outwards to a single day would ruin the rush and excitement of the bazaar and would just turn it into another shop, if only for a limited time

If you miss out you plenty of people will sell or let you play with what they bought, and no doubt some of these items will end up in shops so you can buy them yourself (overpriced, but low supply and high demand dictates that)
    You know, that one thing at that one place, with that one person.

Yea, that one!
    edited April 2016
    @Asmodron No. 

Seriously though, you think that'd be better, but that'd be far worse for most people. 

• I finally just gave up on the bazaars completely.  I still read about them if I see a thread like this, but I don't think I'd ever try to buy anything, even if I happened to be logged in.  I'd have been willing to try to be around for them (when able), if they pretty much guaranteed I could buy a couple of anything I liked so long as I did show up, but despite some attempts to make things slightly less crazy, it's still hyper-competitive/worst of the worst Walmart Black Friday shopping and I find that incredibly not fun and just stressful and frustrating.  It took me a long time to talk myself out of them completely, because I really liked the concept of the bazaars in general, and some of the items are neat, and I hoped they'd change the way they work to make the shopping experience more fun and relaxed.
    The new way of the Bazaar has actually been a lot fairer, as someone who has been to every Bazaar that I've been around for in my character's life. There's more stock, meaning more stuff in shops available afterwards. Some people are raising the prices way high, and some are being pretty generous and only adding a small bit of profit for themselves (like 5k max). The only difference is that with multiple Bazaars at once means a few of the items change (like this time the vials and statues) which are harder to collect if you don't show up, but everything else has been the same with a lot of extras to go around.

• I just loved the idea of walking around an exotic bazaar, and yeah, wasn't super keen on dealing with some of the more gougey aftermarket folks for sure, although it's usually an option if there is something you really want.  But I just thought the idea of wandering around a strange bazaar and actually... taking it in, would be so cool.  
  • edited April 2016
    Dortheron said:
    Asmodron said:
    Got to admit, really really -really- hating the concept behind these bazaars. What are they lasting for, 1 hour? So you have to either be there at this time, dropping whatever you have, or miss out bish.

It use to be that they came with MAYBE warning on the news posts outside of events like the 50-year games and happened once or maybe twice. Now we have them on UPCOMING, the most of the items are the same (so you can pick up stuff you missed last time with a few exceptions), and it's spread out so that if you missed one you can hit the others. They even made it so there is a time delay between purchases and that you can only buy one at a time, so people don't buy out items to sell in shops in the first thirty seconds.

If you miss out on fun special event in Achaea, well that's nothing new with all of the awesome RP events, games, and time-based activities that RL stops you from participating in. Expanding it outwards to a single day would ruin the rush and excitement of the bazaar and would just turn it into another shop, if only for a limited time

If you miss out you plenty of people will sell or let you play with what they bought, and no doubt some of these items will end up in shops so you can buy them yourself (overpriced, but low supply and high demand dictates that)

I'd rather simply buy something from the bazaar as is rather than have to buy it for x3 the price.

It's not that the bazaar isnt better then what it once was, what with Upcoming, but it is still not at what it was. The 'rush' of trying to buy something in time should not overlap all players actually getting to experience the fun. I think maybe 10% of the playerbase are actually getting to enjoy it (enjoy being in the concept of actually getting something).

I dont see why it cant be a simple opening for 1 day with a large supply for all players to enjoy.

I just give up on it.

Shirszae said:
    Asmodron No. 

Seriously though, you think that'd be better, but that'd be far worse for most people. 

Seriously, if you're going to tag someone for their comment/suggestion, then at the least have some form of constructed reply and not attempting to just seem like a smartass.

'@<person> No! lol! Im creative!"

spare me the 'wittiness', or lack thereof

p.s: This isnt to say I actually want a reply from you now, in case you got that impression
    @Asmodron

Okay then

@Asmodron -- Lisbethae has been selling at pretty low, fair prices. If you're not enemied to Cyrene, you might see about checking out the shops there or asking her directly if she has some extras left. I've been giving extras to friends for free or at base cost, well the few I got anyways. Didn't feel comfortable overbuying, really. If you have friends who plan on going and if they have an idea of what has been sold you could always make a request. I gave a fan to Naomh because she'd missed out, I gave Skarash a few extras, and a game for an old protege of mine at request. At the last Bazaar I'll try to pick up a few more extras for friends who missed out, and I'm sure you probably have some friends who might do you the favour if you can't make it again.

• I think the Bazaar is a lot fairer this year, though the only issue with having multiple of the same stock is that people know what they want to get and what's not priority so the more desired items tend to be gone early in the next runs.

@Asmodron

Still, as mentioned before, the limited edition stock is what makes the Bazaar what it is and why some people find appealing. Some people won't like that, but it's just one avenue that you don't subscribe to like some people don't go for artefacts because of the price. It doesn't mean that Achaea doesn't have other means of shopping you will like better, like Makesh's shop (which is actually more to what you're looking for when they're open for the holiday events) or the shops from Adryn's Keep.
    If you need me, you can find me sporadically on the Achaea Discord as Yae. 
    Do not DM on forums unless you're ok with waiting a couple months!
    It should be gradually easier to acquire some. People will mess around with the items for a bit, decide they don't want to shell out the credits to non-decay.... and will either smartly resell, give to someone else who really wants it, or unfortunately lets it decay. After the decay time is up for most of these items, that's suddenly when the market for them becomes a lot rarer and harder to acquire. Since there are 4 Bazaars total this time, a lot (but not all) of the items are pretty common and in abundance right now, so there's no reason they should be crazily priced (other than sellers hoping for way too much).

• Yeah not sure if people are getting the point of 'rare wares.' If you want common wares they're everywhere else, there has to be a certain amount of rarity for rare things to be, well, rare and valuable.

Some of this stuff I wish wasn't bazaar only though, like the games!
  • Ravaged by centuries of exposure to the elements, this time-worn statue captures the mysterious 
    ferocity of Lucaine Pyramides who stands proud and tall, defying the world with the posture of a 
    seasoned combatant. Yet, the wounds upon his limestone frame depict a situation much more dire: the 
    warrior-poet grasps the hilt of Three Moons with a scarred hand, while the other lashes out in a 
    precise motion at his surroundings. Streaks of crimson mar the handsome features of the ill-fated 
    Lucaine, who stares at his invisible attackers with the empty gaze of a blinded man but clad in an 
    iron determination to fight to his dying breath.
    It has 150 months of usefulness left.
    It weighs about 1000 pounds.
    It bears the distinctive mark of Quaen'a (a denizen).

Going to non-decay this so fast if I can.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    Atalkez said:
    Ravaged by centuries of exposure to the elements, this time-worn statue captures the mysterious 
    ferocity of Lucaine Pyramides who stands proud and tall, defying the world with the posture of a 
    seasoned combatant. Yet, the wounds upon his limestone frame depict a situation much more dire: the 
    warrior-poet grasps the hilt of Three Moons with a scarred hand, while the other lashes out in a 
    precise motion at his surroundings. Streaks of crimson mar the handsome features of the ill-fated 
    Lucaine, who stares at his invisible attackers with the empty gaze of a blinded man but clad in an 
    iron determination to fight to his dying breath.
    It has 150 months of usefulness left.
    It weighs about 1000 pounds.
    It bears the distinctive mark of Quaen'a (a denizen).

Going to non-decay this so fast if I can.
    Nooooooooo sell it to me so I can sell them as a full set :(
    Huh. Neat.
  • Not a chance, sorry!

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Kayeil said:
    The new way of the Bazaar has actually been a lot fairer, as someone who has been to every Bazaar that I've been around for in my character's life. There's more stock, meaning more stuff in shops available afterwards. Some people are raising the prices way high, and some are being pretty generous and only adding a small bit of profit for themselves (like 5k max). The only difference is that with multiple Bazaars at once means a few of the items change (like this time the vials and statues) which are harder to collect if you don't show up, but everything else has been the same with a lot of extras to go around.
    Kayeil pretty much summed everything up accurately. New bazaar style is much better. I work too much to hit more than one of them, but there's no drawback that exists now for anyone other than the one-time-offer items, which are usually still easy to obtain.

Speaking of folks, still looking for all of the statues, the hair sticks and the fan, found the other things I wanted for the most part. Hit me up!

• The bazaar used to be a shout followed by a mad rush of people looking for it and then whoever with the gold to do it gets there first will identify all the rarest and funnest stuff and BUY 50 THATTHING FROM THERINE, then resell it.

Now there have been announcements so people who are interested can at least try to get there. Unless failing the attempt to get there means you slept through the thing or missed being online for some other reason, anyone who tries CAN get there in time because each person can only buy 1 thing at a time and then they have to wait several seconds to buy another, and there are hundreds of things to buy. I still attempt to restrain myself from buying my favourite items too quickly while others are looking for them because I don't want to give anyone negative feelings about something that's supposed to be fun, but I don't feel nearly as bad about myself or anyone else doing it because I don't see why anyone can't get *something* cool at the source if they really want to.

Resale isn't nearly as much of an achaean business plan as it used to be. I'm fairly certain it's more an act of spreading the fun stuff out to more people than one of denying it to others for a chance at more gold. Now there are so many collectible items appearing with such frequency that there are far fewer people who care about that than there are items to divvy up.

Shouldn't be any trouble with wandering around and getting the bazaar experience. I do it every time. I see the most popular things going fast because everybody wants one, but there is still a lot of stuff to look at and very little pressure to buy quickly. There are also very talkative denizens if that's what you're looking for. I miss the days where if you were bored and looking for some rp you could talk to a denizen and someone would jump in and carry on with you, but you can get that at a bazaar every time.

I know there have been some complaints about it but I have a lot of admiration for how the big-ticket mount has been handled this time around. I'm positive it stinks to drop a million gold and not get it, but that probability was known going into the transaction and there are mounts available for straight gold instead of a gamble for a super rare four-of-a-kind mount. I spent a million or so on the pumpkin bags hoping for a journal and it never happened, and I know there's no way I can recoup with resale of a gazillion purple and green lipsticks, and I ain't mad at ya.

tl;dr I love bazaars and find the changes positive and think the people working on them are wonderful and nothing is bad ever when there's a bazaar in town.
  • Can I make the hairsticks resetting and non decay? :D