Ask your Producer: August 2015

Comments

• OceanaOceana North Sea
    Will there be a third port to connect to besides 23 and 2003? >.>
  • Disclaimer : I don't raid or defend. I just listen to the complaints.

What are your (and the gardens) opinion on the current sanctioning system? What was the original intent of it and do you think it is living up to your hopes?

I admit I'm a little baffled to the logic behind having any citizen deaths within the city goes towards sanctioning (leading to complaints that non-comm was killed just to get sanctioned), while only soldiers go towards building tanks.

In my mind it seems more logical to have only soldier deaths work towards sanctioning (ensuring that there are in fact soldiers in the city you are attacking) and then have non-comms count tiny amounts towards the building of a tank since they have had the warning of the sanction to decide to stay in the city or get out. This way the non-comms do have the warning that a raid is happening (due to the sanction) and can choose to stay and fight or leave.

Explanation of the current logic would be very useful for me!

• What's the process like for ideas getting implemented? Do you, Sarapis, and Makarios look at them until you find something cool then implement it? What kinds of questions do you consider when deciding whether an idea should be implemented or not? For example, if angel/baalzadeen power could be put on gmcp like devotion/essence?

i'm a rebel

• KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Artie armour was a thing that was suggested at one point and the later mentioned it was no longer on the table but I've heard whispers returning of confirmation that it will be a thing. Silence these whispers once and for all? (at the moment)

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • I wrote this in another post, but realised it brings up a question for me.
    People don't have to join a house anymore (thinking of guilds in comparison) and honestly aren't even pointed all that hard toward doing so now. They used to join during the newbie tour. Now they have to finish the newbie tour and then do a city tour on top of that if they even realise they should join a house. Many newbies think that joining a house is meant to be done later, when they're already established and able to contribute in a meaningful way.

Is this intended? Or are you open to the exploration of ways to reverse it?

• GawiGawi Washington
    Any chance you will be making it slightly easier to obtain mayan crowns besides ship trade or having gobs of credits to trade for them? Or even maybe a chance to get them in upcoming globes?

• How excited are you for the Deadpool movie?

I'm curious about how widespread server-side curing usage is nowadays. How many active characters (above level 30?) have CURING ON versus CURING OFF? How happy are you with the adoption of server-side curing in general?

And while we're on the subject of server-side curing... People seem to ask pretty regularly for the option to add in configurable priority switches. Is this something you're still considering pending a workable idea on how to implement, or something you've ruled out entirely because it's just not feasible?

Not sure the last time we had one of those threads, so can we get the usual race/class breakdown stats please?

This one might be more for Sarapis, I'm not sure. I think it's been mentioned in the past that GMCP data/structure is kept consistent across all the IRE games, I assume mainly because of all the interactions with the Nexus/HTML5 client. Would we ever see that change so games have more freedom to extend their GMCP implementation without needing to co-ordinate rollouts across all games?

Now that we have GMCP data for afflictions and defences, what are the chances of having additional curing balances - herb, salve, focus, sip, fitness, etc. - added to GMCP (I guess Char.Vitals, since that's where regular balance/equilibrium are stored)?
  • Out of curiosity, who is the person with the most submitted bugs in the system right now and/or how many are they? 
    Same for ideas.
  • AustereAustere Tennessee
    Any second thoughts on reversing the policy of only Eleusis having access to the three forestal classes?  I feel like something could be done to not force people to choose between rogue and Eleusis..Just give us Sentinel.  It makes sense that a Sentinel could find their way into a city! 
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods

Jurixe said:
    Just another quick clan thing while I have time to squeeze it in:

Will it ever be possible to have clan-owned housing, and so would you be willing to give a vague ETA? Clan-owned housing would be great for many aspects of the game, ranging from and not limited to family clans, clans that fill a particular niche, or maybe people just want to make a hangout for their friends.

Also when will the next housing update be? *twiddle*
    No firm plans for clan-owned housing, it's an idea we've been pondering for a little while though! Also no ETA for further changes to housing at the moment!
    Oceana said:
    23000 exists as well!
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    Tecton said:
    Oceana said:
    23000 exists as well!
    Pity. Blocked as well.

Tahquil said:
    Disclaimer : I don't raid or defend. I just listen to the complaints.

What are your (and the gardens) opinion on the current sanctioning system? What was the original intent of it and do you think it is living up to your hopes?

I admit I'm a little baffled to the logic behind having any citizen deaths within the city goes towards sanctioning (leading to complaints that non-comm was killed just to get sanctioned), while only soldiers go towards building tanks.

In my mind it seems more logical to have only soldier deaths work towards sanctioning (ensuring that there are in fact soldiers in the city you are attacking) and then have non-comms count tiny amounts towards the building of a tank since they have had the warning of the sanction to decide to stay in the city or get out. This way the non-comms do have the warning that a raid is happening (due to the sanction) and can choose to stay and fight or leave.

Explanation of the current logic would be very useful for me!

The system exists to allow a victory condition for raiding a city, to that end I think it works fairly well! It's not intended to be the be-all and end-all of Achaean war, but just one tool that can be used in the theatre of conflict.

As for the second point, I'll get back to you after I do some fact-checking and speak with Makarios!

Tesha said:
    What's the process like for ideas getting implemented? Do you, Sarapis, and Makarios look at them until you find something cool then implement it? What kinds of questions do you consider when deciding whether an idea should be implemented or not? For example, if angel/baalzadeen power could be put on gmcp like devotion/essence?
    Nice attempt at a backdoor idea review, I must admit :)

Something like that! There's a massive volume of ideas that come in (many dozens per day), so when looking through them, we'll generally start going through, find one we think will work well, and go from there. Personally, once I find one that I'm going to work on, I'll search through all of the other ideas related to that system/ability and see what I can do while I'm in that part of the code.

Kenway said:
    Artie armour was a thing that was suggested at one point and the later mentioned it was no longer on the table but I've heard whispers returning of confirmation that it will be a thing. Silence these whispers once and for all? (at the moment)
    Something we go back and forth on quite a bit, nothing finalised here, sorry!
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Tecton said:

Kenway said:
    Something we go back and forth on quite a bit, nothing finalised here, sorry!
    Stop going back and forth.

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."

Kez said:
    I wrote this in another post, but realised it brings up a question for me.
    People don't have to join a house anymore (thinking of guilds in comparison) and honestly aren't even pointed all that hard toward doing so now. They used to join during the newbie tour. Now they have to finish the newbie tour and then do a city tour on top of that if they even realise they should join a house. Many newbies think that joining a house is meant to be done later, when they're already established and able to contribute in a meaningful way.

This is actually the first I've heard/seen of this issue, so I'll take a look this week and see if there's areas that we can improve on there. There's definitely things that cities can do here too, I know many of the cities that run a "novice clan" will really help guide people into the house that's the best fit for their play style.

One of the goals of the Renaissance was to reenforce the city to be the core social group, with the houses existing as cohesive / symbiotic arms of that group, so we're definitely in favour of people joining houses!

Gawi said:
    Any chance you will be making it slightly easier to obtain mayan crowns besides ship trade or having gobs of credits to trade for them? Or even maybe a chance to get them in upcoming globes?
    They've been globe contents in the past, but they are switched out from time to time as we add new/exciting things! As for obtaining them, I'll keep it in mind!
  • Tecton said:

Kez said:

This is actually the first I've heard/seen of this issue, so I'll take a look this week and see if there's areas that we can improve on there. There's definitely things that cities can do here too, I know many of the cities that run a "novice clan" will really help guide people into the house that's the best fit for their play style.

One of the goals of the Renaissance was to reenforce the city to be the core social group, with the houses existing as cohesive / symbiotic arms of that group, so we're definitely in favour of people joining houses!

Could be as simple as making a generic join-a-house task.
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    @Kez the last task for the city novice task set is to join a house
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• @Tharvis that may just be your city. I've spoken to many who were city rogues and when I asked them why they didn't join a house they said they were getting stronger first, so I told them they could join a house at level 10 and then they went and joined.
    Kez said:
    @Tharvis that may just be your city. I've spoken to many who were city rogues and when I asked them why they didn't join a house they said they were getting stronger first, so I told them they could join a house at level 10 and then they went and joined.
    city novice tasks become available once you've completed the great rock task iirc, and after completing all the city novice tasks you get the "join a house" task - pretty sure I saw this task in both cyrene and targossas when I rolled an alt to check out the requirements to get inspiration on what to suggest for our own.

• Tharvis said:
    Kez said:
    @Tharvis that may just be your city. I've spoken to many who were city rogues and when I asked them why they didn't join a house they said they were getting stronger first, so I told them they could join a house at level 10 and then they went and joined.
    city novice tasks become available once you've completed the great rock task iirc, and after completing all the city novice tasks you get the "join a house" task - pretty sure I saw this task in both cyrene and targossas when I rolled an alt to check out the requirements to get inspiration on what to suggest for our own.
    Actually, the last task we have to actually ask Indalecio is bugged and doesn't show up for Cyrene. I'm pretty sure I've issued and bugged it and it isn't showing up yet. You can still go and ask him after you've done them all, there just isn't an actual task for it yet.

Verrucht said:
    Tharvis said:
    Kez said:
    Actually, the last task we have to actually ask Indalecio is bugged and doesn't show up for Cyrene. I'm pretty sure I've issued and bugged it and it isn't showing up yet. You can still go and ask him after you've done them all, there just isn't an actual task for it yet.
    best thread to bring it to attention then! :D 

Antonius said:
    How excited are you for the Deadpool movie?

I'm curious about how widespread server-side curing usage is nowadays. How many active characters (above level 30?) have CURING ON versus CURING OFF? How happy are you with the adoption of server-side curing in general?

And while we're on the subject of server-side curing... People seem to ask pretty regularly for the option to add in configurable priority switches. Is this something you're still considering pending a workable idea on how to implement, or something you've ruled out entirely because it's just not feasible?

Not sure the last time we had one of those threads, so can we get the usual race/class breakdown stats please?

This one might be more for Sarapis, I'm not sure. I think it's been mentioned in the past that GMCP data/structure is kept consistent across all the IRE games, I assume mainly because of all the interactions with the Nexus/HTML5 client. Would we ever see that change so games have more freedom to extend their GMCP implementation without needing to co-ordinate rollouts across all games?

Now that we have GMCP data for afflictions and defences, what are the chances of having additional curing balances - herb, salve, focus, sip, fitness, etc. - added to GMCP (I guess Char.Vitals, since that's where regular balance/equilibrium are stored)?
    Deadpool: Veeeery!

Curing: We have 45% of level 30 people with curing enabled, of those 85% have affliction curing on and 72% have def upkeep.

Race/class (non-newbies from the past 30 days:

Classes:
    Occultist   4.3%
    Monk       9.0%
    Druid      7.1%
    Serpent   16.5%
    Paladin     3.3%
    Priest     3.0%
    Sentinel   3.4%
    Infernal   1.8%
    Magi       9.1%
    Shaman     2.6%
    Runewarden 13.7%
    Jester     3.4%
    Apostate    1.5%
    Sylvan      7.0%
    Bard        3.7%
    Blademaster 6.4%
    Alchemist   3.4%
    Races:
    Human      11%
    Dwarf       6%
    Tsol'aa     7%
    Mhun        4%
    Troll       4%
    Rajamala   10%
    Atavian    11%
    Xoran       3%
    Grook       3%
    Horkval     4%
    Satyr       2%
    Siren       9%
    Dragon     24%
    GMCP: Unless it's something we really need for the client, we're probably not going to be expanding GMCP data further. The game should be about playing it, rather than developing the best action priority list based off the data the server sends.

Josoul said:
    Out of curiosity, who is the person with the most submitted bugs in the system right now and/or how many are they? 
    Same for ideas.
    Never added a per-person breakdown of bugs/ideas, so I honestly couldn't tell you. As for the number, I answered that earlier in the thread.

Austere said:
    Any second thoughts on reversing the policy of only Eleusis having access to the three forestal classes?  I feel like something could be done to not force people to choose between rogue and Eleusis..Just give us Sentinel.  It makes sense that a Sentinel could find their way into a city! 
    No plans to at this point in time, I'm afraid.
    Kez said:
    Tecton said:

Kez said:

Could be as simple as making a generic join-a-house task.
    These exist already!
This discussion has been closed.