Ask your Producer: August 2015

Comments

• JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    Tecton said:
    Jurixe said:
    In terms of combat vs rp priority, is there a greater importance on combat-related updates and innovations or is it simply whichever comes first? 

Would a housing promotion month ever be on the cards or is that simply not viable?

Could we ever suggest or design items for particular shops and submit them for hopeful implementation? I've always thought it would be nice if the Theran glassblower sold glassware! 
    Combat vs. RP: No greater focus on one over the other. It may seem that way, mainly because of the established systems that we have in place for combat updates (classleads) which is a little more public (multiple announce posts for classleads, whereby most events only get a single events post).

Housing promo: Owing to the fact that promotions are IRE-wide, the chances are pretty low that there would be an appealing enough idea that would translate across the games.

Item ideas: Sure thing, feel free to start a thread on the Golden Dais and we'll take a look!
    Thanks for responding!

In terms of the combat vs RP thing, I meant less event stuff and more about RP-related upgrades or improvements - for instance for crafting, for housing, for emotes, customisations, and generally just things that have no combat-related value but are great tools for roleplay. Does that tend to take a back seat to combat improvements?

Boo re no housing promos :( but yay for item ideas! I will start up a thread when I can think of some ideas.
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Morthif said:
    What's your favorite food?
    Steak!

Morthif said:
    Any thoughts of upgrading the Windows ME pc Achaea runs on?
    Currently running on an E3 Xeon server! The next server upgrade we do will be upgrading to SSDs.

Jacen said:
    Do you use an IDE for coding either the Rapture engine or the scripts, or just a plain text editor?

How do you store map data for the wilderness and the regular rooms (not sure of the terminology for that one)?
    I do all of my coding in vim.

Everything is stored in in-memory databases.

Achimrst said:
    Can you convert all my mudlet scripts to the HTML5 for me, JQuery is still evil.
    Sure, $500/hr.
  • Tecton said:

Jacen said:
    Do you use an IDE for coding either the Rapture engine or the scripts, or just a plain text editor?

How do you store map data for the wilderness and the regular rooms (not sure of the terminology for that one)?

How much RAM you running?
  • AchimrstAchimrst Nature
    edited August 2015
    Tecton said:

Achimrst said:
    Can you convert all my mudlet scripts to the HTML5 for me, JQuery is still evil.
    Sure, $500/hr.
    Still better than doing it myself.

Edit: Do you take Mastercard?
  • edited August 2015
    Tecton said:
    Morthif said:
    Steak!

Morthif said:
    Currently running on an E3 Xeon server! The next server upgrade we do will be upgrading to SSDs.
    Cool, Sarapis had mentioned that Rapture didn't take advantage of hyperthreading at all. Is there any plans to change this? I know that this is by no means an easy task.

Also sorry Steak is the wrong answer. Was looking for Sushi there
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Jousting as an arena event was released in Delos some time ago, and it was discussed that this would be available as a city arena addon. Is this something we can expect to see soon?

• Things about learning!
    Could we have a toggle for the old long-style lesson-learning text to come back?
    Would a suggestion for making the learning of all skills as involved as learning Tekura (needing to do gradings and earning belts is ~awesome~ in my opinion) be looked upon favorably or swept under the "not necessary" rug?
    I have 150 Lusternian credits that I'll trade over for Achaean ones. Let me know if you're interested!
  • Tecton said:

Jacen said:

Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Lorielan said:
    Steak is never the wrong answer.
    It is when you're a vegetarian. Or a pescetarian, in my case.

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • So now that everyone has they little toys..are there a plans for a league or expanding on the figurine idea?

• Alright! Let's see here..

Does allying others when hunting split xp more evenly, create an experience bonus, or do nothing at all? 

Bring back all the awesome Shop of Wonder items for a one month mayan crown promo! 

Any chance serverside will add in limb counting? Ideally not self-limbcounting though, that ruins the fun. 
  • TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Zuko said:

Does allying others when hunting split xp more evenly, create an experience bonus, or do nothing at all? 

same question for being in the same party
    Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• Has anyone learned every (currently) available language?
    If so, list the people who currently know more languages than I do.. for uh.. deliveries of puppies...Yes, puppies.
  • Kei said:
    Lorielan said:
    Steak is never the wrong answer.
    It is when you're a vegetarian. Or a pescetarian, in my case.
    Tuna steak?
    any plans to re-evaluate the need for forest defenses, or to make plantlife-destroying abilities more available to more neutral classes? (such as returning holocaust bombs their abilities to destroy plantlife, or a new survival skill as opposite to Dousing - that starts forest fires)

• KayeilKayeil Washington State
    Tahquil said:
    Has anyone learned every (currently) available language?
    If so, list the people who currently know more languages than I do.. for uh.. deliveries of puppies...Yes, puppies.
    Not sure if anyone has learned, but there was an auction item sold at least twice (maybe more) that gave the owner perfect fluency in every racial language. Wish I had gotten that one instead of the Talisman of Runic Affinity that I no longer need and ended up trading in.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

• Kayeil said:
    Tahquil said:
    Not sure if anyone has learned, but there was an auction item sold at least twice (maybe more) that gave the owner perfect fluency in every racial language. Wish I had gotten that one instead of the Talisman of Runic Affinity that I no longer need and ended up trading in.
    There was a token that let you learn one racial language in full. I got one. :)
  • Do you Gods spar each other in Achaea too? In normal characters though, not the OP zaps. 
  • TitonusTitonus Youngstown, Ohio
    Tecton said:
    Bronislav said:
    Bronislav said:
    stuff
    stuff
    stuff

IDEA We should put mining in the game.

stuff
    I'm pretty sure that's actually verbatim for the idea I submitted for mining...

• TitonusTitonus Youngstown, Ohio
    Also, can I get a pair of greaves? They are already in the game, just not sold anywhere because no one has rescued Krug yet.

Tharvis said:
    any plans to re-evaluate the need for forest defenses, or to make plantlife-destroying abilities more available to more neutral classes? (such as returning holocaust bombs their abilities to destroy plantlife, or a new survival skill as opposite to Dousing - that starts forest fires)
    and maybe remove the elemental ice requirement for Rejuvenate (or consider the following : 8s channel with increased mana/willpower cost if done without ice, 4s channel with lower mana/willpower cost if done with ice)

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    I think a nice different between ice/no ice would just be if you reju with ice, all the plants also come back to life without having to replant. That way reju is just reju, but ice (and druids maybe) can "fully" rejuvenate a room.

Makes it less HAVE TO HAVE but still desired.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • So... about that Knight Weaponmastery spec change artefact?

Also, how likely are we to ever get forums that don't suck?

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    With the above idea submitted I would also like to say: Please Tecton no more forest defs. Pleaaaaase.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • Tahquil said:
    How much would the total cost be for a char to study all languages?

Morthif said:
    Tecton said:
    Morthif said:
    Steak!

Morthif said:
    Cool, Sarapis had mentioned that Rapture didn't take advantage of hyperthreading at all. Is there any plans to change this? I know that this is by no means an easy task.

Also sorry Steak is the wrong answer. Was looking for Sushi there
    Multithreading isn't something that works well for a MUD, we need everything to complete sequentially, rather than a race condition based of load on that core at that time. As such, a single thread is the best solution for what we need it to do!

Kresslack said:
    Jousting as an arena event was released in Delos some time ago, and it was discussed that this would be available as a city arena addon. Is this something we can expect to see soon?
    Yep! it's pretty much all coded, just needs a final testing pass.
This discussion has been closed.