Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

OOC Raves

1277278279281283

Comments

  • AntoniusAntonius Member Posts: 4,865 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I haven't been a huge fan of this season overall. Considering we've now had four out of the six episodes, not all that much has actually happened. The pacing has been pretty awful, but the previous season also seemed to have the same problem.

    The earlier seasons had a lot of storylines, with characters spread out all over the place doing different things, so there was a lot of different places you could go to (and sometimes you might not see characters you cared about for an entire episode). The last couple of seasons have - not unexpectedly, given that we're coming to the end of the show - brought everybody into much closer proximity, which means there's very little for you to show while characters are travelling, and instead you just get these time jumps that feel like they're just teleporting instead.

    I'll be happy when it's over, to be honest, because that will halt the rather steady decline in quality.
  • AtalkezAtalkez Member Posts: 4,962 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Have been very underwhelmed by this season. Arya scene was great, everything else has been too rushed and lazy writing. 


    You hug Aurora compassionately.
  • AntoniusAntonius Member Posts: 4,865 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Atalkez said:
    Have been very underwhelmed by this season. Arya scene was great, everything else has been too rushed and lazy writing. 
    I'm going to choose to believe you mean the Arya scene where she finally gets it on with Gendry. You perv.
    Ammar
  • AtalkezAtalkez Member Posts: 4,962 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    You know me @Antonius


    You hug Aurora compassionately.
  • AccipiterAccipiter Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    The timeline of the show was always weird and jarring but in the earlier seasons with a million things going on it was easy to forget about it. With only 2 places to be this season it is so confusing when one cut is 10minutes later and the next is weeks with pretty much no explanation. I hope the payoff is decent.
  • SobriquetSobriquet Member Posts: 2,329 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Spurs just reached a Champions league final in the most amazing 45 minutes I've seen since the Man City game. I'm still dazed. 2-0 down at half time, we win 3-2 with a 90 +6 minute goal

    Stunning. Just.. Stunning. 
    image
    CaelanPalusa
  • CaelanCaelan Member Posts: 1,796 @ - Epic Achaean
    Sobriquet said:
    Spurs just reached a Champions league final in the most amazing 45 minutes I've seen since the Man City game. I'm still dazed. 2-0 down at half time, we win 3-2 with a 90 +6 minute goal

    Stunning. Just.. Stunning. 
    I just got back from my son's State Cup game in the Premiere League (U18). Abysmal. He and 2 others showed up to play and worked their asses off.  You would have thought our keeper had a side bet going against the team, and offense and mids had 1 person each trying to do anything.  This is a team that came close to going to Nationals 2 years back. Just utter shit. 

  • CaelanCaelan Member Posts: 1,796 @ - Epic Achaean
    Sounds like it was you, all along. Adulting like a champ to get where you needed to be (yes she helped but if you didn't do your part you would be on the streets). So kudos to you. Not a lot of folks these days are willing to, and take the easiest ways out.  

    StefanaTrilliana
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 8
    Antonius said:
    I haven't been a huge fan of this season overall. Considering we've now had four out of the six episodes, not all that much has actually happened. The pacing has been pretty awful, but the previous season also seemed to have the same problem.

    The earlier seasons had a lot of storylines, with characters spread out all over the place doing different things, so there was a lot of different places you could go to (and sometimes you might not see characters you cared about for an entire episode). The last couple of seasons have - not unexpectedly, given that we're coming to the end of the show - brought everybody into much closer proximity, which means there's very little for you to show while characters are travelling, and instead you just get these time jumps that feel like they're just teleporting instead.

    I'll be happy when it's over, to be honest, because that will halt the rather steady decline in quality.

  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 8
    Ahem, what that should have said... GRRM has stated many times in interviews that the overarching theme to A Song of Ice and Fire is "the human heart in conflict with itself". Not who wins the Iron Throne, not who kills the zombies, not who "deserves" the most epicest epic death scene. The show's inexorable decline corrolates directly to its increased attention to fan service and needless spectacle over time. The human heart in conflict with itself. Where is it? I don't care about any of those characters anymore and think the events of "The Bells" are a perfect capstone to this dumpster fire of a season. I will go back to awaiting Winds of Winter and the continuation of an actual story.

    Am I doing this "rave" thing right?
    AstarodTrillianaIlira
  • CaelanCaelan Member Posts: 1,796 @ - Epic Achaean
    Caelan said:
    Had to be in Boston for a veteran's event. Got to meet and hang out with Medal of Honor recipient James McLaughlin and an original Navajo Code Talker. This is them afterwards..
    James McCloughan. Stupid auto-correct.  His story hit home because he was an Army medic and  my 2nd son is becoming an EMT and wants to be a combat medic.

    This week, a Navajo Code Talker died.  That leaves 7 left in the world out of 400. It was a massive honor to meet him.

     Also got to meet John Katsaros.  Look him up, it is an amazing story.

      And another gentleman whose name slips my mind. He was wounded in Italy, lost a leg, and has gone his entire 94 years without returning to Italy or even dealing with a Veteran organization. This one org bought gim a ticket because he said he was finally willing to revisit where he was injured.

    Pretty obvious rave.  Awesome weekend with those fine gentlemen.

    JinosIlira
  • TreyTrey Member Posts: 4,754 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Caelan said:

    Found enough evidence today to close this case Ive been working on for almost 5-6 months. Only need a few more reports and another pedo goes to jail.

    Another one bites the cot

    Caelan
  • CaelanCaelan Member Posts: 1,796 @ - Epic Achaean
    Trey said:
    Caelan said:

    Found enough evidence today to close this case Ive been working on for almost 5-6 months. Only need a few more reports and another pedo goes to jail.

    Another one bites the cot
    This next guy on the case after this....  mandatory minimums of close to 40yrs. Did half the case and got that. Need to go back and do another batch of evidence...  if he doesnt plea out, he will probably get 100yrs. He deserves every bit of it, and needs to be put in GenPop w a sign around his neck.

    TasusUtianima
  • PyoriPyori Member Posts: 1,674 @ - Epic Achaean
    I can now eat overly cold / overly hot food without having piercing pain shooting through my jaw... Took almost a year to finally get off my ass and do it, but a few teeth kinda badly needed extracting. Was surprisingly pain free the entire time (aside from the dentist trying to snap my jaw or something as he was pulling them; my mouth only opens so far :( )

    Have to wait a few days to actually be able to eat hot food, while the wounds heal, but yay. Still have trickles of bleeding periodically, but nothing bad (I hope; aftertaste of blood is nasty btw). Unfortunately it was molars that needed pulling, so certain foods (that I hardly eat anyway) are gonna be tough to eat :V 

    At the urging of one of the nurses, I also inadvertently found out- despite having hated the smell for years- I actually kinda like tea. She said it'll help stem the bleeding a bit (kinda has, but not much).

    Oddly enough, not much after-surgery pain. Might just be the codeine and ibuprofen talking, though. Still it's not much more than a dull ache.

    MathonwyUtianimaJinosMelodie
  • TahquilTahquil Member Posts: 4,296 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Okay! So there is two tips I can give.

    1) If you still have any gauze they gave you, take it and push it solidly against the sites that are still bleeding for 30-45 minutes. They advised me to only put a bit of pressure when I a tooth extracted a few weeks ago and it kept bleeding until I got tired of waiting and bit down hard for a while.

    2) The tea related tip I got was to get a warm, damp teabag and hold it on the site. Something something the natural tannins will help stop the bleeding.

    I hope that helps with the bleeding, it sucks having that constant taste in your mouth. Welcome to your week of drooling and not being able to speak clearly for fear of dislodging the clots and getting dry socket. Text to speech apps are your friend. Make sure you have a set of tweezers in the house ready for when those stitches begin to dissolve only on one side and begin flapping around.

    Good luck.
    UtianimaTrilliana
  • PyoriPyori Member Posts: 1,674 @ - Epic Achaean
    Tahquil said:

    1) Tried that. Multiple times. Didn't work, it's not a huge deal honestly; it's like a drop or two every few minutes at worst (it kinda worked, I guess, since it was quite a bit more than that when I got home). A little hard for me as well since I got multiple extracted at once, in different parts. Probably going to pay doctor a visit in the morning, if it's still bleeding. That's what was recommended, anyway.
    2) I got told both, drinking it would help (albeit less so) if I wasn't comfortable putting anything besides gauze on it (I'm not, really. I don't trust myself to not push it around).

    I don't have much problem speaking, with the anaesthetic gone. There is a bit of an... Overproduction of saliva, though.

    Utianima
  • TahquilTahquil Member Posts: 4,296 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    'Lucky'? As much as you can say lucky in that situation. Mine was a premolar so I couldn't press my tongue to the roof of my mouth.

    At the end of the first week we went to a bar/cafe place and I tried to order and Aerek told the waitress, "Oh don't worry, she's deaf but she tries."  :#
    UtianimaTreyMelodieTasus
  • PyoriPyori Member Posts: 1,674 @ - Epic Achaean
    edited May 27
    Was pretty awful for the first hour or two after it was over. Tongue was puffy as hell from anaesthetic, so I could barely swallow let alone talk.

    Seems to be largely gone now that I've had... Some sleep. Can taste things relatively okay, without also tasting blood. They also gave me some horrendous antibiotic mouthwash that smells like ear wax, and tastes about the same. Now it's all a matter of not dislodging the blood clots for a few days. REALLY don't want to have dry socket.

    Also another rave for codeine. Woke up with paaaaain, took one with ibuprofen and was out like a light. Woke up again to no pain. Yay. Only had four and a half hours sleep, but it's better than nothing.

  • CaelanCaelan Member Posts: 1,796 @ - Epic Achaean
    @Pyori. Obvious but..  pay attention to that shit. What do they say, only takes 4 times to get addicted to it?  

    I had my wisdom teeth out by a Navy Dental clinic.  "You're going to feel some pressure" is their way if saying they are bracing their knee on your face so the pliers get leverage.  Best of luck w the recovery bud.

    Utianima
  • PyoriPyori Member Posts: 1,674 @ - Epic Achaean
    Caelan said:
    @Pyori. Obvious but..  pay attention to that shit. What do they say, only takes 4 times to get addicted to it?  

    I had my wisdom teeth out by a Navy Dental clinic.  "You're going to feel some pressure" is their way if saying they are bracing their knee on your face so the pliers get leverage.  Best of luck w the recovery bud.
    Addictions vary between people, nonetheless I don't take more than it recommends (1/2 codeine/ibuprofen every 6 hours, and always with food). Though I've only 'needed' it every 12 hours-ish so far.

    And yeah that's basically it. Guy didn't seem to realise my mouth only opens so far, the extractions themselves didn't hurt at all. Sutures stung a bit, since the anaesthetic's numbness was starting to wear off, but mostly my jaw that was sore from him trying to fucking dislocate it or something.

    Caelan
  • RispokRispok Member Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Tahquil said:
    Okay! So there is two tips I can give.

    1) If you still have any gauze they gave you, take it and push it solidly against the sites that are still bleeding for 30-45 minutes. They advised me to only put a bit of pressure when I a tooth extracted a few weeks ago and it kept bleeding until I got tired of waiting and bit down hard for a while.

    2) The tea related tip I got was to get a warm, damp teabag and hold it on the site. Something something the natural tannins will help stop the bleeding.

    I hope that helps with the bleeding, it sucks having that constant taste in your mouth. Welcome to your week of drooling and not being able to speak clearly for fear of dislodging the clots and getting dry socket. Text to speech apps are your friend. Make sure you have a set of tweezers in the house ready for when those stitches begin to dissolve only on one side and begin flapping around.

    Good luck.
    The tweezers advice is legit. I had some work done last year, no issues, no pain pills, but the constant itching of sutures was only bearable for a few days. I wound up getting in there with some mustache scissors and removing 90% of the stitches myself. The doctor was highly impressed with my work when I came back in for the follow-up.
  • CaelanCaelan Member Posts: 1,796 @ - Epic Achaean
    edited May 29
    Bit of a rave.  

    Been going to school doing one class per semester for a long while now (5years almost) to get my B.S. since I have to work 40-60hrs per week to feed my family.

    I need 18cr to graduate so I took 3 summer courses since they are online and I can fit them in while at work...

    just found out my advisor (a key reason this has taken more than 2 years to accomplish despite transferring in w 90cr) never submitted my DD214 or my MCI transcripts.  I will be getting at least 6, if not 8 credits based solely off my DD214, and because I did the SGT non-resident AND resident leadership courses as well as the SNCO non-resident, I might be getting at least 6 more from just my MCIs.

    Summary: I may be able to drop the remaining 2 Summer courses and just do the Fall "W" course to graduate and have my Summer and my life back! Extra bonus: I won't still be in school while trying to pack up and move to Florida next year (or fixing up this house to sell)!





    TahquilJinosSobriquet
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    What do the NCO courses count as?
Sign In to Comment.